Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Outdoorlass
    • By Outdoorlass 30th Nov 09, 11:27 AM
    • 307Posts
    • 1,127Thanks
    Outdoorlass
    Is anyone taking their OS hat off on xmas day?
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:27 AM
    Is anyone taking their OS hat off on xmas day? 30th Nov 09 at 11:27 AM
    Just wondered, how many of us are going to take the OS hat off for christmas day?

I am contemplating it, I have 7 people for christmas dinner, they are all quite fussy, 2 veggies, 1 doesn't eat white meat, I am at a loss what to do for the meat, tbh we as a family want turkey as it don't feel like christmas without a turkey. But I really feel the pressure is on me, I don't really like cooking on xmas day, it always stresses me out, I could do without the hassle having to cook different gravy for people, not using goose fat for the roasties etc:rolleyes:

I am on the edge of thinking heck with it, and using frozen roasties and the prepacked vege packs from markises etc, but that is not OS is it

Anyone else having troubles?
    grocery challenge Sept 2012 21/399
Page 1
  • funkymonkey849
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:32 AM
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:32 AM
    Why don't you ask them to help?
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 30th Nov 09, 11:39 AM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:39 AM
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:39 AM
    Don't stress yourself Outdorrlass. I understand how stressful I find making it but I am trying to be ultra organised this year so have as little stress as possible. My stress comes from Mum screaming at me to open presents while im in the middle of cooking? :confused: Oh, and questioning what I'm doing, and not liking change in any way shape or form.

Your choices are - try to accomodate everyone OS, and prep well in advance (btw, sunflower oil works a treat for roasties, just heat it up before putting on spuds )

or just buy pre packaged to please people.

At the end of the day, it's not worth getting in a tizz about or feeling guiilty. If it suits you better to buy pre packaged, then do just that and don't worry about it for a second!

Make a decision soon so you aren't torturing youself, and just stick with it.

I would also second asking people to bring something. Could the veggies team together and bring a nut roast? I don't think that's too much to ask. If i as a meat eater was going to an all veggie party, I wouldn't expect the host to cook meat just for me

You could always let people know in advance what the menu is. For me, the person not eating white meat would be having the veggie option! Or if you buy a ham, just ham instead of turkey.

if people are that fussy, they have to understand not every whim can be catered for and there has to be a bit of leeway and give and take. That's my opinion anyway!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 30th Nov 09, 11:44 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:44 AM
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:44 AM
    AT Christmas I always buy the ready prepared sprouts and use Sainsburys frozen TTD Goose fat roast potatoes (which taste AMAZING) , but everything else I do make from scratch. What I do is make the carrot and swede mash (I make it with Carrot, swede, parsnips, butternut squash and sweet potatoes) on Christmas Eve and then microwave it on Christmas Day. Oh yes - I also buy ready made gravy from Sainsburys or M&S. (only for Christmas Day though) I also make the sausagemeat stuffing on Christmas Eve and heat that up on the day too. If I were you I would still do my turkey and would buy a veggie roast for the veggies and maybe cook a small piece of pork or beef on Christmas Eve for the non-white-meat eater. I think that OS is great but if you have a stressful day and you can afford to, then its fine to take shortcuts!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • Outdoorlass
    • By Outdoorlass 30th Nov 09, 11:45 AM
    • 307 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Outdoorlass
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:45 AM
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:45 AM
    Thank you both

I am soo highly stressed about it all tbh, I don't do well cooking on xmas day, I dunno why, but everything ends up going wrong, I seem to spend all day in the darn kitchen, missing out on all the fun and precsious time with my kids.

My guests come every year and they do try and help, but they don't know where anything is, or how to use my oven, hob and I end up getting that many questions fired at me, it stresses me out even more and its easier to just do it myself. Plus I am very prescious over my kitchen, its quite new and I treat it with a lot of respect and other people, just don't seem that carfeul, I don't wnat my worktops getting scratched or anything, sound sad I know, its just how I am

I think I will just buy all pre-packed so I get chance to enjoy the day as much as everyone else seems to be able to. I really feel like just doing one meat and the veggies can just have the rest without the meat, its one less thing for me to do/worry about!
    Last edited by Outdoorlass; 30-11-2009 at 11:48 AM.
    grocery challenge Sept 2012 21/399
  • funkymonkey849
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:52 AM
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:52 AM
    Also - make ahead! Then you can just whip everything out of the freezer, make yourself a timesheet in advance - e.g. roasties in oven 2pm, carrots in oven 2.30pm then you don't even have to THINK on xmas day, all brain cells can be directed at pouring yourself a large G&T and relaxing...ahh...

Check out this page
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/occasions/make-ahead-christmas/

A lot of the side dishes can be prepared then frozen weeks ahead of the day, there's a recipe on there for freeze ahead roasties (with the option of goose fat or sunflower oil)
  • funkymonkey849
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:54 AM
    • 30th Nov 09, 11:54 AM
    I think I will just buy all pre-packed so I get chance to enjoy the day as much as everyone else seems to be able to. I really feel like just doing one meat and the veggies can just have the rest without the meat, its one less thing for me to do/worry about!
    Originally posted by Outdoorlass
    As a veggie that sounds fine to me, let them know that if they want something they have to bring it and be in charge of it, that's fair enough
  • anguk
    • 30th Nov 09, 12:33 PM
    • 30th Nov 09, 12:33 PM
    I think I'm going to do a mixture of shop bought and pre-prepared. I always cook the turkey and make the stuffing on Christmas Eve anyway but still find myself getting flustered cooking it all.

When I was in Tesco last week I picked up a bag of "finest" frozen goose-fat roast potatoes, we had them last night and they were lovely. I think I'll get another pack to keep for Christmas while they're still half price at 99p.

I'm also going to splash out on some ready prepared veg. I don't normally buy things like that but prepping sprouts and chopping swede seems to take so much time.

I refuse to feel guilty about buying frozen or pre-prepared stuff any more, it's only once a year and will save me alot of hassle.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 30th Nov 09, 12:53 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 30th Nov 09, 12:53 PM
    • 30th Nov 09, 12:53 PM
    Just wondered, how many of us are going to take the OS hat off for christmas day?
    Originally posted by Outdoorlass
    Not at all - Christmas Day is like my End of Term Show DH and I cook up a storm together in the kitchen, and helpers are always welcome

There really is no shame in ready prepared stuff it's meant to be enjoyable, after all

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • angeltreats
    • By angeltreats 30th Nov 09, 12:56 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 6,687 Thanks
    angeltreats
    My mum in law actually cooks the turkey on Christmas Eve to make things a bit easier/less stressful for her.

I've never made Christmas dinner as we take it in turns to visit each set of parents for Christmas, but if I was and if it was for more than four people, I would have absolutely no hesitation in buying some sneaky Aunt Bessie's to make it a bit easier!

Ask someone to bring a starter and someone else to bring a pudding. If we are asked round a friend's house for dinner, I always ask if they'd like me to bring a pudding or anything and am only too pleased to be able to help out, I'm sure your family would be the same.
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 30th Nov 09, 1:04 PM
    • 37,003 Posts
    • 475,930 Thanks
    pigpen
    I'd ask the veggies to bring something they would like as a meat substitute.
    I'd use the water from the veggies for their gravy and some granules.

I usually do 2 meats anyway so a smallish turkey and some lamb/beef/venison or veal if you are feeling generous .. what about duck or goose? Would they eat those? .. eek.. tangent.. I'd do the turkey and say, beef and use the juices for meaty gravy. This person I'd ask to bring dessert.

Anyone not bringing something can bring wine

Veggies.. I hate roasties.. so would do frozen ones for them that does. New potatoes with butter and garlic for them that don't and a big dish of mash.

Green in one pan, cauliflower in another (maybe make it cauliflower cheese for veggies?), carrot in another.

Yorkhires wouldn't last 2 minutes in here annyway.

Save any left over gravy/veg/meat for a casserole for the next few days.. all hauled in a pan.. inc the mash as it makes it lovely and thick..
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    13/05/2019 50266.16 (2.41% int.)
  • fluffybunnies
    I noticed in my *new* local iceland that they have quorn roast for 2 which maybe suitable for veggies without being extra work for you, i had it one year (when i lived at home and decided to become veggies purely so i didn't have to eat my mothers mince) and it was really nice and lasted me till the new year (with only me eating it)
    • maman
    • By maman 30th Nov 09, 2:32 PM
    • 19,898 Posts
    • 118,926 Thanks
    maman
    Unless money is desperately tight I'd say indulge yourself and forget some of your OS ways for the festive season.

I buy those microwave in the bag carrots and Auntie Bessie's potatoes mainly because the carrots save on hob space and pots are fairly quick and fool proof. Always a shop bought pudding and ready made custard that can be rapidly microwaved too.

I do save a bit by preparing in advance, did my pigs-in-blankets yesterday. I think I may try freezing my own pots in advance this year (thanks for link funkymonkey). Does anyone know if the same would work for parsnips? And what about microwaving carrots - are they raw or parboiled? During the year it doesn't matter but it's about finding easy ways to cope with cooking for larger numbers.

Personally I wouldn't welcome help with the cooking. I write out a timetable and with the help of my kitchen timer I just flit in and out as needed. When I do appreciate the help is carving, to carry dishes through to dining room as I fill them and of course washing up!!!
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 30th Nov 09, 2:48 PM
    • 3,408 Posts
    • 20,797 Thanks
    purpleivy
    I don't work well with people in the kitchen really and the last time I would get away with removing the OS cap is at Christmas! In actual fact, my ds is my best helper during cooking and dishing up, as he's the one that does this with me most often. He's useless with a peeler, no fine motor skills whatsoever so someone else has to help with the prep the day before.

A timetable is an absolute must..it's X O'clock so I should be doing Y and its Z o'clock so someone should be pouring me a drink.

We are having at least 2 groups of visitors, one at Christmas and after Christmas. There will be a rota going up of who is in charge of morning coffee, afternoon cuppa making duties, who's sous chef and on kitchen duty and who's kitchen maid to help clear away and load dishwasher. Also a drinks monitor in the evening!

In addition there will be a jobs list for every day after breakfast, swish loos, check for paper, empty the bins WASH HANDS then check there is enough ice in the freezer for later on and the fridge has been restocked with cold drinks.

I figure if I pair up the resident young people with the visitors then there won't be a problem of where things belong or can't find stuff.

I'm a hard woman, but one that grew up with her mum posting a dishwashing list on the side of the freezer before Christmas!
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 30th Nov 09, 2:56 PM
    • 4,432 Posts
    • 16,463 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    I wouldn't feel guilty about buying in if it stops you being stressed. But I do still keep to OS on Christmas day as I prefer the taste.
    Do as much prep as possible before hand, mince pies and most baked goods freeze beautifully, as does fresh homemade custard (for trifles or hot over a pud). Some people freeze mash but I prefer fresh. OH does the actual ,mashing (he reckons its all in the wrist action ).
    Get the family involved, my kids love peeling sprouts and chopping carrots. Most veg can be peeled prepared the day before and stored in water in the fridge. Or I sit at the dining table watching the kids play with a glass of somehting festive in one hand and a peeler in the other (we have a through lounge).
    I love my big steamer, I load up the veg and switch on, no pans to watch, and the veggies are lovely and tasty. Then the only pan will be any mash.

I peel and freeze the parsnips ready to just cook in hot oil from frozen in the oven on the day, same for pigs in blankets. The roasties is a few of the "mash" spuds pulled out when it has boiled for a couple of mins to start them off.

This year having a nice FR chicken and alovely peice of well hung beef from a local farm. Chicken just needs to go in about 2 housr ahead, beef about 1 hr 20 for medium. I make up my yorkie pud mix in the morning (takes seconds whilst brewing up or something in the kitchen) and the can sit in the fridge until needed-remember to stir before using. Will do the stuffing the day before and reheat.

All things I can do in "bits" around the celebrations. I also don't try to pressure myself into a big "lunch" on the day. We have a sort of brunch or starter cousre around 11 , followed by the main event mid afternoon, whenever it and we are ready. Usually around 4. The kids will be up early and go to bed late so we might sneak in a supper at around 7 or 8 but only butties or leftovers. Kids will munch all day on chocolate anyway so the times are flexible.

Merry Christmas

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to 10 a day-November 610.22/750

Make up to 10 a day-December 73.84/620
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 30th Nov 09, 2:58 PM
    • 4,432 Posts
    • 16,463 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    Most of all remember its just a sunday dinner with hats lol.

ali x
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to 10 a day-November 610.22/750

Make up to 10 a day-December 73.84/620
    • charlies-aunt
    • By charlies-aunt 30th Nov 09, 7:08 PM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 13,511 Thanks
    charlies-aunt
    I cook from scratch for all meals - even Xmas dinner .....but I am lucky that I was bought a 'hostess trolley' by my Mum and Dad for my 1st married Xmas (25 years ago). I have used it regularly over the years despite getting a lot of ribbing from friend & colleagues about being posh [ nothing could be further from the truth] and since we have worked opposite shifts at lot of the time - it has meant cooking once and bunging eveything in for everyone to help themselves. Food keeps cooking while its in there [very slowly) so you only have to part cook veggies before popping them in. Its also good for assembling a large cooked meal in advance at Xmas and so forth.

I do't know if they still make these trolleys but they do crop up in the small ads and sale rooms - often they go cheap or even free if the heating element has gone. Its relatively cheap [15} to have one made by a electrical factoring company and they last for years so grab one if you ever get the chance
    The best things in life aren't things

2017 Grocery challenge 110.00 per week/ 5720 a year

• Olliebeak
    Most of all remember its just a sunday dinner with hats lol.

ali x
    Originally posted by ALIBOBSY
    Well said, Alibobsy! Hear, Hear!!
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 30th Nov 09, 7:18 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    If anything Christmas is the time I am most OS, using recipes from my mum and from my grandma..I have 16 coming to lunch this year, DGD was having a veggie phase two years ago so I bought a Quorn roast, it was disgusting and I think that made her rethink her eating style. (no disrespect to genuine vegetarians but this was a teenage phase) DSD doesn't eat red meat but it's a taste thing so she will use the same gravy as everyone else.

My secret weapon is my Hostess Trolley without which I would struggle to keep everything hot.
    • charlies-aunt
    • By charlies-aunt 30th Nov 09, 9:08 PM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 13,511 Thanks
    charlies-aunt
    My secret weapon is my Hostess Trolley without which I would struggle to keep everything hot.
    Originally posted by nearlyrich

Snap!
    The best things in life aren't things

2017 Grocery challenge 110.00 per week/ 5720 a year

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,139Posts Today

5,165Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Oh if only one were brave/honest enough to say "my mental health" - in answer to the weakness question. I say this? https://t.co/RyihpzwPdY

• Been out with the little one, just got back and turned the #c4debate on. What have i missed? Who is winning?

• It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Follow Martin