Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ibelongtoguy
    • By ibelongtoguy 12th Jun 06, 6:01 PM
    • 135Posts
    • 105Thanks
    ibelongtoguy
    more ways with tinned sweetcorn...
    • 12th Jun 06, 6:01 PM
    more ways with tinned sweetcorn... 12th Jun 06 at 6:01 PM
    Hi - please help. My stepson doesn't eat many veggies, but not too bad. However he doesn't really 'do' salads and in this weather it's really what I want to be giving us for tea (with quiches/chicken/spuds etc).

He will eat sweetcorn tho - does anyone have any ideas what sort of salad type things I could cunjour up with the main ingredient as sweetcorn? In the supermarket it's always cheaper to buy the larger cans so have quite a bit...

Always good to have more ideas to get their veggies in 'em!

Thanks
Page 1
  • wigginsmum
    • 12th Jun 06, 6:06 PM
    • 12th Jun 06, 6:06 PM
    Would he eat tuna or ham or chicken/sweetcorn/mayo? On a jacket potato? Or on French bread?
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
  • tr3mor
    • 12th Jun 06, 6:26 PM
    • 12th Jun 06, 6:26 PM
    You can always mix some quick fried finely chopped onions/peppers into it, as well as any herbs/spices he likes.
  • Littlemiss-lotsofdebt
    • 12th Jun 06, 6:27 PM
    • 12th Jun 06, 6:27 PM
    Could you mix it into pasta or rice along with peppers, onion, ham and some mayo? Not really salady and most people will eat veggies if mixed in with other things.
    Its nice to be important but more important to be nice!
    • Swan
    • By Swan 12th Jun 06, 10:46 PM
    • 6,633 Posts
    • 7,400 Thanks
    Swan
    • 12th Jun 06, 10:46 PM
    • 12th Jun 06, 10:46 PM
    not salady, but sweetcorn fritters are quite nice

tin of sweet corn, no need to drain
    1 egg
    salt & pepper to taste
    2-4 Tablespoons of Self Raising flour, I prefer wholemeal but you can use white or any combination

mix together to a dropping consistency, adding milk if you need to. if you're strapped for cash, add more flour & some more milk, makes it go further

fry Tablespoons of the batter in hot oil till brown & crispy, turn & fry till other side is the same

you can add onions, peppers etc to vary
  • Jay-Jay
    • 12th Jun 06, 10:49 PM
    • 12th Jun 06, 10:49 PM
    Will he eat corn on the cob? I buy the mini cobbett things from the freezer section. Cook them then with a sharp knife cut each one into three slices.

My 2 year old and 6 yr old love these as they can pick them up and nibble them.
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• henhog
    • 13th Jun 06, 9:04 AM
    • 13th Jun 06, 9:04 AM
    Sweetcorn relish - nice with burgers or sausages! Kids love it (at least mine do!) but if I'm making it for them I leave out the onion.

1 red pepper - chopped
    1 onion - finely chopped
    12 0z can of sweetcorn - but ofcourse you could use frozen or fresh.
    lime juice
    chopped coriander if you like it
    chilli powder - just a pinch
    salt and pepper

add the whole lot to a big bowl and leave to settle for an hour. Tasty!!
  • zubezube
    • 13th Jun 06, 9:22 AM
    • 13th Jun 06, 9:22 AM
    thanks henhog, i'm off to try that
    would like to make it known it is not a DHN, she's dancing

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
    • mandi moles
    • By mandi moles 13th Jun 06, 9:31 AM
    • 367 Posts
    • 171 Thanks
    mandi moles
    • 13th Jun 06, 9:31 AM
    • 13th Jun 06, 9:31 AM
    How about Tuna pasta...
    Nice and easy..
    Cook pasta (shells best) cool under cold water...
    Add tuna, mayo and sweetcorn...
    My son loves this and its nice and quick to knock up !
    If you want to get ahead in the Rat Race then you will need some faster Rats !! :rolleyes:
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 14th Jun 06, 8:54 AM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    pasta "salad" - add tuna / ham or even chopped up sausages etc ,whatever he will eat !

same for rice / cous cous / baby potatoes,they all make a nice salady dish which is just as nice cold as it is warm

or even as a topping / filling for baked potato / pitta pocket / tortilla wrap

this bread is yummy http://www.netmums.com/lc/food/recipes/cheesycorntriangles.htm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,058Posts Today

7,401Users online

Martin's Twitter