Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mh1923
    • By mh1923 11th Jun 06, 9:20 PM
    • 519Posts
    • 3,312Thanks
    mh1923
    0 WOW
    free audiobooks! (merged)
    • 11th Jun 06, 9:20 PM
    0 WOW
    free audiobooks! (merged) 11th Jun 06 at 9:20 PM
    No catch! http://librivox.org/ is a group of volunteers recording books in the public domain.

No membership requirement and no restrictions--other than how much your ISP lets you download. Although if you want to volunteer to read a chapter or two (or ten, or a whole book!) you might find it addictive!

Last edited by Former MSE Dan; 02-03-2010 at 1:49 PM.
    Hi, I'm Mich
    I won a years supply of Comfort fabric softener in November 2013 - more than half remains...
    2015 survey proceeds £115.36
Page 1
  • audioedition.org
    • 20th Jan 07, 2:30 PM
    Hi all
    • 20th Jan 07, 2:30 PM
    Hello all! Great resource! Great post mh!
    Audio books have been a passion of mine for a long time. I found many places to get them free online. Many sites will offer Public Domain books in audio or e-book form. Public Domain books are generally 70-100 years old, (that's generally how long it takes copyrights to expire on works of literature, depending on law of the land, and other factors) unless a work is specified by the author to be available as public domain (free of copyright restrictions).
    This all being said, you can get tons of great classics from a number of sources, and/or even volunteer to read a book.
    There are also Creative Commons audiobooks that are released by their authors for free to the public (usualy for non-commercial use) and even some places where you can download new copyrighted audiobooks legaly.

Check out my list of places where you can get free audiobooks at http://www.audioedition.org/services/free/

Or go to one of these free sites:
    www.gutenberg.org www.audiobooksforfree.com www.telltaleweekly.org www.freeclassicaudiobooks.com

/
    Last edited by audioedition.org; 01-02-2008 at 3:59 PM. Reason: url moved
    William Graham
    No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
    • lewt
    • By lewt 20th Jan 07, 2:40 PM
    • 7,485 Posts
    • 9,124 Thanks
    lewt
    • 20th Jan 07, 2:40 PM
    • 20th Jan 07, 2:40 PM
    if any1 know where to get the big book of alcoholics anon free on audio i'd like to know.
    If i upset you don't stress, never forget that god aint finished with me yet.
    • leboof
    • By leboof 21st Jan 07, 9:40 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 126 Thanks
    leboof
    • 21st Jan 07, 9:40 AM
    • 21st Jan 07, 9:40 AM
    Great post thank you.

I have two Italian ladies working with me trying to improve their english, this is ideal.

Cheers
  • allen36_0
    • 21st Jan 07, 12:40 PM
    • 21st Jan 07, 12:40 PM
    Thanks for the leads audioedition.org. I'm also hooked on audio books.

Any suggestions about how to dispose of (barter, sell, gift) audiobooks I've finished? ReadItSwapIt, for example, don't carry many

Any suggestions appreciated?
  • audioedition.org
    • 26th Jan 07, 8:05 PM
    • 26th Jan 07, 8:05 PM
    Thank you all for you kind words,
    Allen36_0, I do know of a couple of sites that will give you credit for your used CD audiobooks: www.ashgroveaudiobook.com www.audiobooks.com
    I have never tried them, so if you end up using either one, please post a quick 'how-it-went' if you can.
    Happy listening
    William Graham
    No Links in Signatures by Site Rules - MSE Forum Team 2
    • Middlestitch
    • By Middlestitch 13th Mar 07, 10:29 PM
    • 1,320 Posts
    • 2,410 Thanks
    Middlestitch
    • 13th Mar 07, 10:29 PM
    • 13th Mar 07, 10:29 PM
    I sell my audiobooks on e-bay when I've finished with them. Usually get back at least 70% of the purchase price.
    • mike_paterson
    • By mike_paterson 13th Mar 07, 11:36 PM
    • 1,378 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    mike_paterson
    • 13th Mar 07, 11:36 PM
    BMW Audiobooks
    • 13th Mar 07, 11:36 PM
    I am sure it has been posted elsewhere before but there are 4 free audiobooks at http://www.bmw-audiobooks.com/
    They are

Don Winslow - Beautiful Ride

Summary

Back then he was looking at a fat IPO and a boat. Back then he was rich. Back then he had a condo overlooking the ocean, a wife, and had just bought the BMW Z4 convertible. Cobalt blue, like the ocean on a clean, clear day in early spring. Now what he has left is the car. Ted's a real estate investor in Laguna Beach, California. He's been kicked out by his soon-to-be ex wife, his assets have been frozen by the IRS, he's holding on to his Beemer, but the car company's repo men want it back, and he's living in a tent. He's falling through the cracks of the 'Gold Coast' life, until he turns to money-laundering to get back in the game. Then things get worse...

James Flint - Master Of The Storm

Summary

This is the story of a man who finds himself arriving at exactly the same service station over and over again. He leaves, he drives away, but every time he tries to exit the motorway he discovers that heís back in the same Happy Break. Who is he? Where has he come from? What is he running from? What exactly damaged the wing in his car while he was tuning the radio? And who is the hitchhiker he stops to pick up?

Simon Kernick - The Debt

Summary

Boxer, Billy, needs to pay off his errant cousinís vast gambling debts to local loan shark, Jim ĎThe Crimí Sneddon. However, heís short and is forced at gunpoint to use his pride and joy, a brand new BMW 7 Series to make up the total. He is determined to get it back. But, to do so he has to fight his way past JimíThe Crimísí goons, an errant MP and a Slovakian hostess.

Karin Slaughter - Cold Cold Heart

Summary

PARENTAL WARNING: Some content in this story is unsuitable for young children. For twenty years, Pam did her duty as loyal, compliant wife. She and John shared their friends, their careers, and a son - for richer for poorer, for better for worse. Until the day tragedy struck their family and John betrayed his wife in the most public of ways, walking away to a lucrative new life. For three years John becomes richer while Pam becomes poorer; John's life becomes increasingly better while Pam's becomes worse. But then a reversal of fortune brings them back together, and Pam gets the chance for a revenge John could never have dreamt of ...

Enjoy !

Cheers
    Mike
    To infinity and beyond!
    • save-a-lot
    • By save-a-lot 14th Mar 07, 11:48 AM
    • 2,506 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    save-a-lot
    • 14th Mar 07, 11:48 AM
    • 14th Mar 07, 11:48 AM
    Hi

Thanks - a great find
  • Leonie
    They have a legal BitTorrent site too, with books, indie music and a few 'movies'.
    Most interesting - thank you for this very useful post.
    "Be kind. For everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." Plato

"After all is said and done, more is said than done." Aesop
  • jennalicious
    I've never actually tried audio books before (although I'm rarely to be found without a book in my hand). Thanks for this, will give it a try (still think I'm gonna prefer it in print though).
    • elantan
    • By elantan 16th Mar 07, 3:20 PM
    • 19,728 Posts
    • 53,098 Thanks
    elantan
    this is a fantastic find ...i have a s.u who is unable to read but loves audio books she spends a fortune on them this will help her alot thanks
    march 2011-july2019 8 years and 4 months ... or 100 months and counting
    "what would you do if you knew you couldn't fail.... enjoy the adventure" " to my own self be true"
  • Glitterati
    Thanks will give this a go and try and put them on a cd for my Nana because shes recently become blind

• galenvanbrok
    I tired to listen to a few of these free audiobooks but found the voices of the people reading totally bland to the point of irritation. Five minutes in and I lost the will to live.
    • burnham1
    • By burnham1 19th Mar 07, 11:29 PM
    • 844 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    burnham1
    Hi, these are great especially the BMW books, ....have any of you tried www.audible.co.uk they do a 2 week free trial and you can download 2 free books during this time with no further obligation to them.....i downloaded 2 unabridged books which would have been over £35 each to buy in one of the big book shops...my OH registered as well so we got 4 free books and just cancelled with no problems....when you go to their home page there is a link for the free trial......
    ADOPT DONT SHOP......🐕🐕🐕🐕
  • charlie.
    Free audiobooks
    I'm a big fan of audiobooks and when ever i find time i use to search for free audiobooks and i got a nice site with a few good free audiobooks of various categories.

Free audiobooks
  • GaryS1962
    There is also a very similar site here and it's priced in £GBP. I registered for their newsletter and received a 25% off next order coupon. I've not tried it yet, but it says enter BWBSAVER at the checkout to get the discount ...
  • kydon
    I got hooked with audiobooks too! I think they are really good especially if you are comuting or on travelling!

I tried this site www.audiobook-offers.com and you get two for free. (you can register and then cancel after some time)
  • competitionscafe
    I tried this site www.affiliate-site-deleted.com and you get two for free. (you can register and then cancel after some time)
    Originally posted by kydon
    Posting a link to an affiliate site in your first post? Is it yours?? You posted it elsewhere on the forums too.

The correct (direct) link is: www.audible.co.uk

or for £4 (for the free trial) via Quidco: http://www.quidco.com/audible/
    Last edited by competitionscafe; 18-04-2007 at 11:23 AM.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
  • kydon
    no is not mine i just found it on google
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,133Posts Today

8,989Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin