Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    puddy
    What do you do for Christmas dinner?
    • 26th Nov 09, 5:24 PM
    What do you do for Christmas dinner? 26th Nov 09 at 5:24 PM
    its not really money saving, but what do you have on the table for Christmas dinner and how many does it usually serve?

I'll start. I usually get nearly everything from Marks, even though its expensive because its v tasty.

We have 5 of us, might be 6 this year, not sure. I will get a chicken roast, beef roast and lamb roast (come in their own little tin and you just cook em for about an hour or so), 2 bags of Aunt Bessies roast potatoes, carrot and swede mash, 2 sides of bread sauce (my favourite), sausages in bacon, brussel sprouts, gravey, little cheese and garlic bites (bit avant guard), 3 different stuffings (love stuffing), cabbage, cranberry sauce, horseradish sauce, mint sauce.

then for afters yule log, christmas pud, plain clotted cream (cant stand brandy butter).

i dont like turkey and not over keen on chicken so dont like doing a roast, hence the 'roasts' in tins, dont get any left overs either, it all goes.

yum
Page 1
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 26th Nov 09, 5:49 PM
    • 4,437 Posts
    • 16,463 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    • 26th Nov 09, 5:49 PM
    • 26th Nov 09, 5:49 PM
    Well personally I cook it all from scratch and throughally enjoy every minute. Doing mince pies and my yule log etc on christmas eve (and the few days before)makes me and the kids feel so Christmassy and the house has that wonderful Christmas smell mmmm.

I have yet to find any prepacked food that is even close to what I can cook from scratch, either price wise or taste wise. However I can see for many who either dislike cooking or are no good at it a prepacked Christmas would appeal. If I was to go that route I would plump for M&S or Sainsburys (no waitrose up here but believe they can be quite good for stuff like that).

For me and our family the joys of Christmas include preparing and enjoying the food together.
    This year we are having a nice beef joint and a free range chicken from a lovely local farm (the farmer, his wife and family are lovely and you can go see the animals and how they are kept-spring is lovely with all the new born lambs), for me teaching my kids the "circle" of life and to value the food we get is part of it all.
    We also take a trip for fresh veg to a different local farm, where we can also get many other local products-cheeses,farm butter,ice cream,special mayos (the lemon is yummy) etc etc.
    We will have beef and chicken my gorge homemade yorkie puds (my granny was from yorkshire and taught me to bake and do these) pigs in blankets and all the usual veggies.
    This just leaves a few fresh bits I get either from the market, local shops or the supermarket.

Most of the other stuff I buy as we go from October onwards and I am a "price tart" eg we have bottles of pepsi stacked up from the morrisons offer a few weeks ago.
    We use up leftovers on the next few days easily as there are 5 of us (6 next year-sat here with bump lol) plus will see the family on various days so need to be able to whip up butties/snacks quick meals-leftovers used for this.
    Almost forgot have to have trifle at christmas, mind is non traditional with fruit and jelly on the bottom (splash of sherry/booze in the jelly) home made custard on top (this can be made the week before and frozen, to be defrosted in the fridge on crimbo eve) and plenty of whipped cream mmmmmmmm.

Love Christmas.

BTW also hate brandy butter, and turkey. Don't like bread sauce but make cheese sauce so we can have it on our cauli when the kids prefer their plain.

ali x

In fact going to do my first lot of mince pies next week for the kids school christmas fair (mind you the teachers usually buy all mine up before they get to the stall, last year the headmistress took them straight off me and said "we will have to put these extra safe in the staff room lol")
    Last edited by ALIBOBSY; 26-11-2009 at 5:56 PM.
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to £10 a day-November £610.22/£750

Make up to £10 a day-December £73.84/£620
    • leveller2911
    • By leveller2911 26th Nov 09, 5:50 PM
    • 7,532 Posts
    • 13,947 Thanks
    leveller2911
    • 26th Nov 09, 5:50 PM
    • 26th Nov 09, 5:50 PM
    I like a nice goose at Christmas........
    I did a cracking Beef wellington the other year......
    • keith969
    • By keith969 26th Nov 09, 5:54 PM
    • 1,530 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    keith969
    • 26th Nov 09, 5:54 PM
    • 26th Nov 09, 5:54 PM
    Alibobsy, nice to hear someone else makes "pigs in blankets". I love them, always make them when doing a roast chicken, and they always disappear quick!

I always make them with good sausagemeat, stuffing mix, sage and wrap with streaky bacon. Delicious!
    • LeeSouthEast
    • By LeeSouthEast 26th Nov 09, 5:58 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    LeeSouthEast
    • 26th Nov 09, 5:58 PM
    • 26th Nov 09, 5:58 PM
    Had beans on toast last year. It was very cheap. Sadly, I'm serious. I don't recommend a marriage breakup at Christmas time.

This year is slightly better.. mum is doing hung roast beef with all the trimmings!
    Starting Debt: ~£20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • puddy
    • 26th Nov 09, 6:11 PM
    • 26th Nov 09, 6:11 PM
    yes, i have to admit beef is my favourite, thats why its on my list. i love cooking and would love to have the patience to do it at christmas but ive learnt over the years that my time is better spent relaxing with my feet up

i forgot the yorkshires and of course my favourite (cos no one else seems to eat it) cauliflower cheese, yum
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 26th Nov 09, 6:18 PM
    • 6,782 Posts
    • 5,776 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 26th Nov 09, 6:18 PM
    • 26th Nov 09, 6:18 PM
    Hi,

well I live alone, so don't need anything fancy.

Starter will be whatever is left from the soup I made the previous Sunday, either, lentil, split pea, broth, vegetable, pasta, kinda stuff.

Main course, home made vegetable lasagne, (red onion, mushrooms, green, red, yellow peppers, chilli, sweetcorn, tinned tomatoes, and of course, brown lasagne sheets).

Make it June/July, and freeze it in the little trays that folk get their mash in from the supermarkets, about 4"x3".

Served with a baked potato, (size of a tennis ball), 3 pickled onions and diced pickled beetroot, (two tablespoons).

Followed by numerous cans of lager.

Same next week for New Years Day, because I make two lots lasagne June/July.

Door shut, no visitors, leave me alone, don't bother me.

Have a nice Christmas.

Bah, humbug.
    Y'all take care now.
    • Nile
    • By Nile 26th Nov 09, 6:22 PM
    • 14,430 Posts
    • 14,400 Thanks
    Nile
    • 26th Nov 09, 6:22 PM
    • 26th Nov 09, 6:22 PM
    Hi, Martinís asked me to post this in these circumstances: Iíve asked Board Guides to move threads if theyíll receive a better response elsewhere(please see this rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board, where it should get more replies. If you have any questions about this policy please email abuse@moneysavingexpert.com.
    Hi, I'm the Board Guide on the In my home (includes DIY) and the I wanna buy-it or do-it boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember that Board Guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

10 Dec 2007 - Led Zeppelin - I was there. I wear my 50 (gold/red/white) blood donations pin badge with pride. Give blood, save a life.
    • ALIBOBSY
    • By ALIBOBSY 26th Nov 09, 6:27 PM
    • 4,437 Posts
    • 16,463 Thanks
    ALIBOBSY
    • 26th Nov 09, 6:27 PM
    • 26th Nov 09, 6:27 PM
    yes, i have to admit beef is my favourite, thats why its on my list. i love cooking and would love to have the patience to do it at christmas but ive learnt over the years that my time is better spent relaxing with my feet up

i forgot the yorkshires and of course my favourite (cos no one else seems to eat it) cauliflower cheese, yum
    Originally posted by jenner
    You need 3 kids like me lol. They are great at prep, they actually enjoy sorting out the brussels and carrots lol. They also enjoy baking (my 6 yr old knows the ingredients for a sponge/fairy cakes off by heart).

Plus going off to cook gives me some peace in the kitchen from all the noise rofl.
    Mind you my trusty "chef" is by my side through it all, love my Kenwood. Wanted one for agggggeeees. Finally treated myself a couple of years ago when I won a cash prize from ITV (doing comps is another hobby I love lol).
    Best thing is to do whatever makes you happiest on the day, wether that is all from scratch, bought from shop, traditional or non traditional. Make the day special.

Actually we are a bit Christmas obsessed in this house, love the Christingle service at church and sing Christmas carols from the 1st onwards lol.
    Decorations up at weekend (yes we are the annoying neighbours with all those lights outside). Just need it to snow!!!
    ali x

BTW my birthday is on the 31st of Dec so get a Christmassy birthday as well
    "Overthinking every little thing
    Acknowledge the bell you cant unring"

Make up to £10 a day-November £610.22/£750

Make up to £10 a day-December £73.84/£620
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 26th Nov 09, 6:42 PM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    It's my first year of doing Christmas lunch here as we've always gone to my parents but they're coming here due to health issues & the noise levels of 4 kids I'm actually doing our big Christmas lunch on Christmas Eve for the 6 of us and a buffet on Christmas Day when my parents will come down too.

For our main meal I'm doing prawn cocktail or melon starters (bit of a retro kick ), then roasting an extra large organic chicken (we don't like turkey much either), roast potatoes, roast parsnips, carrot batons, broccoli, lemon & rosemary stuffing & sausagemeat, bacon & mushroom stuffing, pigs in blankets, cranberry sauce & gravy. For desert I'm planning on a big fruit salad, a pavlova and Christmas pudding with cream. I'm buying the cranberry sauce in as only DH & I like it but the rest will be made by me. The kids are all helping me do the veg prep on the 23rd.

On Christmas day I'll serve a roast ham that I'll cook on the 23rd, cold chicken & stuffing, pasta salad, salad, hot buttered new potatoes, cheeses, crackers, some dips (when I've thought of which ones to make!), veggie sticks, crisps, a cheesecake and a Christmas cake (which my Mum has kindly made for me).

It's good reading what everyone else is doing too
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
  • SassyMoneySaver
    We have a mix of home cooked and a few bits. Always have turkey and a pork roast and we love pigs in blankets. sometimes we make our own and sometimes we get a tray of them ready made.
    We have sprouts with chestnuts, broccolli, peas and carrots with roast parsnips. I do stuffing and stuffing balls and both roast and mashed potatoes. Noone likes bread sauce or cranberry sauce so we don't bother.
    We have christmas pudding or mince pies or both for pudding. We normally make a trifle (Birds packet) with sherry thrown in to have later in the evening or on boxing day with the cold meat.
    • 23rdspiral
    • By 23rdspiral 26th Nov 09, 6:58 PM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 12,619 Thanks
    23rdspiral
    we have panetone fried in brandy butter for breakfast. then i go to my nans with my parents, and my OH goes to his folks. then after lunch, we go to his folks for supper and i and OH stay there. it's complicated. but it gets everyone seen, whilst nan hangs in there! So i dont have too much to cook. but i'd love it when one day everyone comes to us.... ahhhh...
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 26th Nov 09, 6:58 PM
    • 6,782 Posts
    • 5,776 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

I don't recommend a marriage breakup at Christmas time.
    Originally posted by LeeSouthEast
    My goal for 2009 - is to be debt free by New Years Day 2010! (I'm a bit early. DFD 20/11/2009)
    BarclayPlus Loan (8%): £10,918 £10,340 £9,951 £9,622 £9,288 £8,953 £8,615 £8,273 £0
    Egg CC (16.9%): £2,441 £2,010 £1,760 £1,482 £1,082 £97 £0
    Barclaycard (0% BT): £840 £740 £640 £466 £322 £228 £109.10 £0

You seem to have managed to get your debt down quickly since last Christmas, (coincidence or not), so well done.
    Y'all take care now.
  • JayJay14
    I think there will only be 3 of us this year but I'll still be going the whole hog as it were.

Dinner will be an M&S chicken. It's in the freezer now and I will bone it out on Xmas eve and stuff it with sausagemeat and stuffing and sew it back up. We will have this with Roast and Mash, 3 or 4 veges to be confirmed, pigs in blankets (HM) plus roast parsnips, onion rings, more stuffing and anything else I can think of

Pud will probably be ice cream but we will most likely eat it about 3 hours later

Breakfast is always croisants and the rest of the day is just lazing arround. I do try to prep up as much as I can before the day though as it is my holiday too.

This year I don't think I'll be getting quite so many of the 'extras' in as I will most likely eat most of it if I do......
  • champys
    I haven't decided yet, I cook something different every year. It also depends whether there will be anybody joining our Christmas meal, like friends or neighbours as some of those have restrictions in what they can eat.
    I have been reading in a French cookery magazine about doing 'poularde de Bresse' for Christmas, and that might tempt me this year. DH is very keen on scallops, so if I can get them fresh around that time and the price is just about affordable, we might have them for starters. Brussels sprouts from the garden are a must, and so are parsnips. Roast potatoes, I think. For dessert, I saw in the same magazine a chocolate-meringue semi-freddo - that would do the trick. (I have made Christmas pudding, but that gets an outing all on its own, either Christmas Eve or Boxing Day or New Year). Some nice cheeses and a good bottle of wine.
    It sounds like a plan. But as said, it could all still change depending on any guests joining us.
    "Remember that many of the things you have now you could once only dream of" - Epicurus
    • maryb
    • By maryb 26th Nov 09, 7:25 PM
    • 4,053 Posts
    • 50,265 Thanks
    maryb
    I like Turkey (and can cook it quite well now that I have discovered my oven temperature gauge is not accurate and bought a separate thermometer!!!). But the rest of the family love goose so we alternate year on year. This year it's goose. At least there will be lots of lovely goose fat for roasties. Lidl are doing frozen goose for£20 so it's good value
    • Mags_cat
    • By Mags_cat 26th Nov 09, 7:38 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 8,193 Thanks
    Mags_cat
    This year I'm getting Christmas done for me

I'm off to my folks for a few days, and have an invite to a mate's (who live close to the parents) for Boxing Day so I won't be having to buy any food until New Year.

Just need to take a few bottles of bubbly (and one obligatory bottle of port) and that's me sorted.

I usually spend Christmas on my own (by choice!) so this year I'm looking forward to a change
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 26th Nov 09, 10:41 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    I start the morning at about 7 and put the Turkey in to roast (The smell of Turkey and Pine from the bowls of branches that I cut on Christmas eve, is the wake up call for the rest of the family)
    The veg, cranberry stuffing and pigs in blankets are prepared on Christmas Eve as the mince pies and trifle.
    So all is well with the world and as we open the pressies I have a well deserved glass or three of Baileys.
    • Ches
    • By Ches 26th Nov 09, 10:46 PM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 10,371 Thanks
    Ches
    I worked it out that I have cooked 46 Christmas dinners so no problem to me. I cook a large gammon joint in the oven on Christmas eve and we have slices of that with fried eggs for breakfast on Christmas day. I make mince pies and sausage rolls on Christmas eve some of which we have for supper. I usually do a lamb casserole for Christmas eve dinner. Christmas day I cook turkey, a large beef joint (OH dosen't like pork) roasties, yorkies, pigs in blankets, stuffing, roast parsnips in parmesan, sprouts with chestnuts, carrots and gravy. Sweet is Christmas pud, sherry trifle for those who prefer something a little lighter, mince pies, custard and cream. We have cold meats and salad for tea if anyone has room.

I think any roast is so easy to cook because its just shoving things in the oven at the correct time. I have never spent all Christmas day cooking and I always have plenty of time to sit and relax with a glas of wine (or 2)etc.

One household rule that is set in stone. I DO NOT WASH UP on Christmas day.
    Mortgage and Debt free but need to increase savings pot.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 26th Nov 09, 10:52 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    I always have plenty of time to sit and relax with a glas of wine (or 2)etc.

One household rule that is set in stone. I DO NOT WASH UP on Christmas day.[/QUOTE]

A girl after my own heart - I have never washed up on Christmas Day or Boxing Day.
    That is the job of DH and kids
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,283Posts Today

6,525Users online

Martin's Twitter