Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    TWINKLE
    Calls from Creditors!
    • 21st Nov 09, 10:13 AM
    Calls from Creditors! 21st Nov 09 at 10:13 AM
    Hi

I have written two letters to Barclaycard about the possibility of deferring November's payment to 7 December, when I will make a double payment (including December's) bringing my account up-to-date. The reason I prefer writing to creditors is because I am more articulate/clear on paper and I can't then be pushed into paying more than I can. I have received numerous calls from Barclaycard, the latest being this morning, although I didn't answer them. Can anyone tell me if it is OK to do this if I have already written to them, I would prefer that they wrote back to me also?
    Any advice would be much appreciated:confused:
    LBM - August 2009 DMP started - Jan 2010
    Total Debt - 13,000 11,000 9,750
Page 1
    • DarkConvict
    • By DarkConvict 21st Nov 09, 10:31 AM
    • 6,248 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    DarkConvict
    • 21st Nov 09, 10:31 AM
    • 21st Nov 09, 10:31 AM
    Hi Twinkle,

I thought you had already sent the harassment letter, but i guess not.

Give this post a read (in full) - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=11571485&postcount=4

It details the letters to send to stop them calling and have your phone number removed, so they have to write to you. If they fail to do so they are in breach of data protection by not removing your details, and OFT guidelines by not contacting the debtor as they have requested.

Jon
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • DVardysShadow
    • 21st Nov 09, 10:36 AM
    • 21st Nov 09, 10:36 AM
    You are not obliged to take telephone calls from anyone. You can insist that they deal with you in writing. If you have debt issues, you may feel quite low because of it, but speaking as a solvent person, the people who I think are the lowest are those who take jobs harrassing people in debt by telephone.
    • fermi
    • By fermi 21st Nov 09, 10:45 AM
    • 39,602 Posts
    • 47,572 Thanks
    fermi
    • 21st Nov 09, 10:45 AM
    • 21st Nov 09, 10:45 AM
    but speaking as a solvent person, the people who I think are the lowest are those who take jobs harrassing people in debt by telephone.
    Originally posted by DVardysShadow
    I can see your point, but personally I think the 'lowest' are the people or firms that employ them.:rolleyes:
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • DVardysShadow
    • 21st Nov 09, 10:50 AM
    • 21st Nov 09, 10:50 AM
    I can see your point, but personally I think the 'lowest' are the people or firms that employ them.:rolleyes:
    Originally posted by fermi
    I take your point, except those fall outside the classification of people.
    • fermi
    • By fermi 21st Nov 09, 10:53 AM
    • 39,602 Posts
    • 47,572 Thanks
    fermi
    • 21st Nov 09, 10:53 AM
    • 21st Nov 09, 10:53 AM
    I take your point, except those fall outside the classification of people.
    True. Certain *something* do not deserve to be classified as belonging to the human race.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Bankruptcy, Credit Cards and Loans boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
    • chanz4
    • By chanz4 21st Nov 09, 11:09 AM
    • 9,932 Posts
    • 2,891 Thanks
    chanz4
    • 21st Nov 09, 11:09 AM
    • 21st Nov 09, 11:09 AM
    but if companys didnt have these people, no one would ever pay.
  • yellowduck
    • 21st Nov 09, 11:20 AM
    Originally posted by chanz4
    don't agree, in my case I'd be happy to pay if I was well enough to work and actually earn some money. Last time I was out of work and ill these sorts of phone calls and nasty letters used to have me in tears (til I found this fab site!). I fail to undersand how harassing and threatening a person who is exisiting on state benefit is going to make them suddenly magic up the money!!. Of course there are those who evade\avoid\fiddle (MP's anyone?) their financial obligations and resposibilities but imo these type of phone calls simply cause additional stress.
  • DVardysShadow
    They can still write and take people to court. I owe nothing, but I have had harrassing debt calls. They are annoying,even demoralising. For someone who does owe, I can imagine it would sap the life out of them. It could damage their ability to hold down a job. Imagine a debt company destroying an individuals ability to earn and pay off debt.
  • costapkt
    Who wants to pay these scum anything ? As for calling them people.
    • DarkConvict
    • By DarkConvict 21st Nov 09, 4:23 PM
    • 6,248 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    DarkConvict
    They can still write and take people to court. I owe nothing, but I have had harrassing debt calls. They are annoying,even demoralising. For someone who does owe, I can imagine it would sap the life out of them. It could damage their ability to hold down a job. Imagine a debt company destroying an individuals ability to earn and pay off debt.
    Agreed, debt companies exist because the creditor has lost hope in getting paid, so sell it on and receive some money for that. Debt companies then try and profit by going after the full amount.
    DCAs probably are more effective, but are also walking in a very grey if not black area in how they go about it, that is why OFT has launched a 12 month investigation into them.
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • TWINKLE
    Re: Calls from Creditors!
    Hi Twinkle,

I thought you had already sent the harassment letter, but i guess not.

Give this post a read (in full) - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=11571485&postcount=4

It details the letters to send to stop them calling and have your phone number removed, so they have to write to you. If they fail to do so they are in breach of data protection by not removing your details, and OFT guidelines by not contacting the debtor as they have requested.

Jon
    Originally posted by DarkConvict
    Thanks DC - I will send this letter today. They have been phoning all weekend - didn't even take the day off yesterday! I would understand if I had just completely ignored them, but I have written them 2 letters and sent e-mails also stating that this account will be up-to-date in full by early December and the reasons why....I will let you know how I get on with the harrassment letter.
  • TWINKLE
    Re: Calls from Creditors!
    You are not obliged to take telephone calls from anyone. You can insist that they deal with you in writing. If you have debt issues, you may feel quite low because of it, but speaking as a solvent person, the people who I think are the lowest are those who take jobs harrassing people in debt by telephone.
    I agree DV - I certainly couldn't do a job like that and sleep in my bed at night.

I am sending a harrassment letter today!
  • TWINKLE
    I can see where you're coming from Chanz, but to harrass someone who has promptly written to them twice explaining the reasons for non-payment for the first time ever I feel is unfair. The circumstances which I found myself in where unfortunate, but I have always made paying my bills a priority. Only is extreme circumstances can I understand this tactic of getting money out of customers.
  • TWINKLE
    don't agree, in my case I'd be happy to pay if I was well enough to work and actually earn some money. Last time I was out of work and ill these sorts of phone calls and nasty letters used to have me in tears (til I found this fab site!). I fail to undersand how harassing and threatening a person who is exisiting on state benefit is going to make them suddenly magic up the money!!. Of course there are those who evade\avoid\fiddle (MP's anyone?) their financial obligations and resposibilities but imo these type of phone calls simply cause additional stress.
    Originally posted by yellowduck
    Hi Yellowduck - I agree with you, these types of phonecalls make you feel quite low and as if you're a criminal. Fortunately, I have worked my finances out to the last penny until the end of December and was in control to be able to write worth exact dates and amounts of when I would be bringing my account up-to-date. If I answered a phonecall from them I may be pressured into paying more than I should be. I wonder do these people actually enjoy what they're doing?
  • TWINKLE
    Who wants to pay these scum anything ? As for calling them people.
    Originally posted by costapkt
    Hi costapkt - if I seen an advertisement for one of those jobs I would run a mile. Do you think it takes a certain type of person to do the threatening phone calls job?
  • TWINKLE
    Agreed, debt companies exist because the creditor has lost hope in getting paid, so sell it on and receive some money for that. Debt companies then try and profit by going after the full amount.
    DCAs probably are more effective, but are also walking in a very grey if not black area in how they go about it, that is why OFT has launched a 12 month investigation into them.
    Originally posted by DarkConvict
    I would be interesting to see what comes out of the investigation!
  • Nick99
    My advice is never, ever, talk to anybody on the phone. After all, would you trust them to record accurately anything you did offer?

Just put the phone down; make them write.

And don't believe anything Barclaycard say! They tried to claim my mother (93 years old) owed them 2500 even though she couldn't even remember ever having had a card and they pestered her too with aggressive phone calls. They refused to tell me what the alleged debt related to, saying if I didn't like it I could complain to the police! Finally settled it by offering them 25 or a court date with all the local press there.

Why spoil your day by wasting it talking to foul people?
    • sidsmum
    • By sidsmum 25th Nov 09, 10:40 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    sidsmum
    I used to belong to a record club which billed me frequently for stuff I wouldn't have touched with a bargepole. Usually a letter stopped it, but I ended leaving the record club as soon as I could. I think they still tried it on.

On the other side, it used to be my job to telephone companies which hadn't paid my employers so I can see the other side (a bit). The tendency is to pester people who've offered to pay until some money comes through. Once you've paid something, you can take those calls and gleefully inform them of the fact. Sometimes money isn't picked up on bank statements, etc., and until the payer tells the creditor it can remain in limbo.. But I would write when you pay and inform them that the payment's been made.
    • timmmers
    • By timmmers 25th Nov 09, 11:40 AM
    • 3,484 Posts
    • 20,080 Thanks
    timmmers
    To be honest, if someone sensible ran a DCA they could make a nice amount of money just by being decent with folk.

They buy debts for a tiny % on the pound, so imagine if they contacted the debtor and said "Hi, we just bought your debt. You owed xxxbank 2000 quid, but as we bought the debt for much less we won't ask for that, we would like to help you pay us 500 in installments that you can afford, or you can pay 400 now and be rid of the debt completely."

If they didn't scare the willies out of people they wouldn't hide and the profits made would be fine compared with not getting anything from people as often happens now.

t
    If you're not winning. You're not trying hard enough.

Facebook : Tim Bain Twitter: @TimothyBain feel free to add etc,

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,667Posts Today

4,940Users online

Martin's Twitter