Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 17th Nov 09, 3:49 PM
    • 1,567Posts
    • 1,626Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Home Research Group / Crime Research UK/ National Crime Bureau/ Crime Research Group
    • 17th Nov 09, 3:49 PM
    Home Research Group / Crime Research UK/ National Crime Bureau/ Crime Research Group 17th Nov 09 at 3:49 PM
    Today I received a call from a young woman working for "Crime Research UK" and was claiming to be interested in Crime Prevention. She stated that they were a semi-govermental organisation and doing research for SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD and were offering a FREE ALARM SYSTEM. When I pressed her for their company address, she passed me on to a Mr Crawford who said that he was the manager. When I asked him if they adhered to the Telephone Preference Service rules, he fed me a long story that, if you change your internet provider, then your TPS status is lost and you have to re-register all over again. What a crock! Anyway, he gave me the telephone number of SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD who they do the "research" for. So I called them.

Whilst talking to SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD, I disovered that they pay for contact information (sales leads) from CRIME RESEARCH UK and that, although the alarm was "free", you had to pay for them to fit it. When I pressed here on how it could be gauged as "free" if you still had to pay, the SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD representative stated that "you do not get anything for free nowadays". So that explains it - a meaning of the word "free" that is not widely known.

So I looked these two companies up: -

• "Crime Research UK"is a Registered Company No. 07050237 with an address of CG18 WARRINGTON BUSINESS PARK, LONG LANE, WARRINGTON, WA2 8TX. So not a governmental organisation then!
    • "SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD" can be found at Unit 1, Windsor House, Battersea Road, Heaton Mersey, Stockport, SK4 3EA. They seem to be VERY WELL known: Woldingham parish Council report this: -
      • SAS Fire and Security Ltd: Following the number of calls received by many of us over the past few weeks I have received the following two notifications. For those who have received calls please may I ask you to see the second point and to contact the Surrey Trading Standards Office
        From the local police:- They have received a number of complaints from people receiving calls in the whole of this area (not just Woldingham). The National Security Inspectorate - who regulate the whole alarm industry - have no knowledge of this firm. The police warn - that although appearing to be doing nothing illegal - BEWARE!
        From the Trading Standards Office:
        Surrey Trading Standards have received reports concerning a company called SAS Fire and Security Ltd, which are contacting Surrey residents in order to sell burglar alarms. We have received allegations that the company claim to be recommended by Neighbourhood Watch and in partnership with the police. Both of these claims are not true. We would like to hear from any customers who have received calls, or purchased an alarm, from this company.
    • The website www.thesecurityinstaller.co.ukreports far more worring information:-
      • Anybody familiar with the company SAS Fire and Security? They just tried fleecing my OAP parents for 8k!
        I've managed to stop further payments to them and get trading standards involved.
        Interested to hear if anyone else has had dealings with these low lives??
    • The DAILY RECORD website is positively scary, reporting this: -
      • SECURITY shark David Diaz has netted more than £6million selling thousands of vulnerable people rip-off alarms.
        The former SPL starlet and his team's scare tactics and lies - aimed mainly at OAPs - were exposed by the Sunday Mail last week.And it prompted more than 100 victims to come forward to reveal the shocking scale of the operation.

Last night furious Labour justice spokesman Richard Baker blasted the scandalous conduct of Diaz's SAS Fire and Security company, saying: "In most people's language, this is robbery, pure and simple."

Meanwhile a former employee exposed the ruthless tactics used by Diaz, 25, who changed his name from David Black after his football career flopped.

SAS Alarms have talked more than 2000 customers into paying between £1000 and £9000 for basic alarm systems - which are provided free to pensioners by many councils.

The former worker said Diaz: Told agents to target the elderly because they are easy pickings.Fabricates crime figures to scare victims into parting with their cash.Forces staff to offer "free" systems which will cost the victim thousands.Paid staff cash-in-hand and never gave them contracts.Last week we revealed how SAS fleece victims by making them sign contracts they say cannot be cancelled.

The former worker, who asked us not to name him for fear of reprisals, has now handed us scripts used by salesmen to shift the alarms. They claim SAS are part of a "crime awareness campaign" working with the Home Office and have uncovered a rise in crime in the target's area.

In reality, the company have no ties to the Home Office and the statistics they quote are made up. They claim they are giving away four free systems and the victim is a winner. But they tell everyone exactly the same thing. Later the "free offer" is withdrawn and the target is pressured into signing up to buy a system.

The ex-employee said: "They are a bunch of cowboys. They have a list of numbers and the majority are elderly. "People would be surprised at how much cash they are making. They have 2000 customers who have handed over thousands of pounds each.

"We're told to tell people there has been a rise in crime in their area but it doesn't matter where they live or whether it's true.

"Staff are paid cash in an envelope. I never had to sign any contract or anything."

Customer Robert Rogers and wife Catherine, of Motherwell, were horrified to learn their £7349 SAS alarm is worth just £200 after daughter Catrina called in another firm.

Robert, 74, a retired metal polisher, said: "I got the shock of my life when the other guy told me it was worth £200 at most."

Another buyer was targeted on the day of her husband's funeral.

Catherine Lamb, 61, says she signed up to an eight-year deal to get rid of the salesman. She was told it was too late to cancel and is tied into finance costing £9866.

Catherine, of Grange mouth, Stirlingshire, said: "The salesman scared me. He kept going on about the risks because I live alone."

SAS staff even used a murder in a Motherwell tower block to convince the victim's neighbours.

A rep highlighted the killing when he told offshore worker David Doig, 34, that violent crime was soaring. After three hours, he signed a contract worth £3700.

Diaz's contracts effectively waive the customers' right to a seven-day cooling-off period by allowing immediate installation.

But trading standards say customers are always entitled to a week to change their minds.

Meanwhile the Home Office said: "We don't have an association with SAS Fire & Security."

Labour justice spokesman Baker said: "The elderly can barely afford to heat their homes so this firm may as well be taking food out of their mouths."

Black's brother Vic, who is also a director at SAS, denied the firm is ripping people off.

He said: "We've never targeted elderly people - that is just a lie.

"I'm not going to discuss the scripts we use. We are a young company who have made mistakes but I guarantee we will address every complaint and make it right with the customer."

VICTIM 1

TOM and Rose Aitken, both 73, of Paisley had a basic alarm system fitted.

The agent said it would cost £3500 - but it is really £7220 over eight years.

They have tried to contact SAS without success.

VICTIM 2

THE Rogers only realised they had been duped when their daughter called in an alarms expert to check the system.

Robert, 74, said: "We're paying £7349 for an alarm worth £200 and our home is still not secure."

The Dodgy Pitch

SAS use a two-pronged approach to ensnare their potential clients.

Before a hard-nosed sales rep barges his way into a potential client's home, a specially trained phone operator cold-calls promising the earth.

Here is a blow-by-low account of their devious script - and what they really mean "I'm calling from SAS security as a courtesy due to the high rise in crime in the area.

We have a crime awareness campaign running...in line with the Home Office."

The phone operator has NO information about crime in the specific area they are calling. They sell alarms all over Glasgow where crime rates vary wildly. The Home Office say they have never heard of the company and do not vouch for their "crime awareness campaign".

"To promote the campaign SAS security are funding four free fire and security alarm systems...and your property has been selected as one of the four."

This script is read to EVERY customer who is cold called by the company - the alarm system is not free, it is simply paid for in inflated monthly "monitoring" charges.

"The system would normally cost you over £3000 but you'll get that free along with a free installation, so it's a free system and installation you'll receive absolutely free!"

The alarm is in no way "free". The company absorb the cost of the installation and equipment in the monthly charges.

The Dodgy Gear

DOUGLAS ROWAND is a home security expert who installs alarm systems for domestic and commercial use.

He has 20 years experience in home security.

He inspected a £7220 alarm system installed by SAS in the home of Tom and Rose Aitken, both 73, of Paisley.

He said: "The first thing I noticed is the shoddy workmanship.

"The sensors are on squint, one of them isn't working at all and the cover on the internal control panel is loose.

"If I were installing this system I'd charge around £500. A monitoring service on top of that would be about £12 a month.

"So I'd say a fair price would be around £1200 over the five years - far less than SAS are charging."
    The above script is almost exact, word-for word, as I was fed today by the woman from CRIME RESEARCH UK, complete down to the pretensions to be Government-related.

So this looks like a definite warning to keep well away from CRIME RESEARCH UK and SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD. Don't fall for the "free alarm" scam and report them to the TPS and Trading Standards.
    Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 04-10-2010 at 7:15 PM. Reason: MR CRAWFORD!!!!
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
Page 2
  • bwfc
    crime research uk
    Just had a call from them offering free alarm system, as soon as i said "No" they put phone down, their telephone number was with held. After reading other post, so glad i said no.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 11th Dec 09, 9:13 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    SECURITY TEAM MUG OAPS OF £6MILLION;100s VICTIMS OF ALARM SHARKS
    From the Sunday Mail (Glasgow, Scotland) February 15, 2009 Byline: STEVE DINNEEN and JANE BARRIE : -

"SECURITY shark David Diaz has netted more than £6,000,000 selling thousands of vulnerable people rip-off alarms.

The former SPL starlet and his team's scare tactics and lies - aimed mainly at OAPs - were exposed by the Sunday Mail last week.

And it prompted more than 100 victims to come forward to reveal the shocking scale of the operation.

Last night furious Labour justice spokesman Richard Baker blasted the scandalous conduct of Diaz's SAS Fire and Security company"
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 11th Dec 09, 9:18 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    The scottish daily record reveals script
    Before a hard-nosed sales rep barges his way into a potential client's home, a specially trained phone operator from CRIME RESEARCH UK cold-calls, witholding their calling number and promising the earth.

Here is a blow-by-blow account of their devious script - and what they really mean:-

"I'm calling from SAS security as a courtesy due to the high rise in crime in the area. We have a crime awareness campaign running...in line with the Home Office."

The phone operator has NO information about crime in the specific area they are calling. They sell alarms all over Glasgow where crime rates vary wildly. The Home Office say they have never heard of the company and do not vouch for their "crime awareness campaign".

"To promote the campaign SAS security are funding four free fire and security alarm systems...and your property has been selected as one of the four."

This script is read to EVERY customer who is cold called by the company - the alarm system is not free, it is simply paid for in inflated monthly "monitoring" charges.

"The system would normally cost you over £3,000 but you'll get that free along with a free installation, so it's a free system and installation you'll receive absolutely free!"

The alarm is in no way 'free'. The company absorb the cost of the installation and equipment in the monthly charges and these are outrageous.
    Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 11-12-2009 at 9:19 AM. Reason: Pounds
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 11th Dec 09, 9:30 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    SAS Fire & Security Systems Ltd
    From the Sunday Mail (Glasgow): -

DOUGLAS ROWAND is a home security expert who installs alarm systems for domestic and commercial use. He has 20 years experience in home security.

He inspected a £7,220 alarm system installed by SAS Fire & Security System Ltd in the home of Tom and Rose Aitken, both 73, of Paisley. He said:

"The first thing I noticed is the shoddy workmanship. The sensors are on squint, one of them isn't working at all and the cover on the internal control panel is loose. If I were installing this system I'd charge around £500. A monitoring service on top of that would be about £12 a month. So I'd say a fair price would be around £1,200 over the five years - far less than SAS are charging."
    Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 19-12-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: fire! date!
  • clairee
    Hi all

Thought I should post as this is also happening in London (NW2 area). Again, the caller (number withheld) said that they were conducting a crime awareness campaign/survey, so I asked if they were part of the police force - she said no. So I asked if they had been hired by the police to conduct this campaign. Again, no!

Eventually the line about the 4 free alarms came out, at which point I said that I also work in Crime Research and have a very good system already - she quickly hung up!

I too subscribe to the telephone preference service - so I'm not sure how they got my number.
    Last edited by clairee; 12-12-2009 at 12:06 PM.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 12th Dec 09, 5:22 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Kent Community issue warning via OLIVERSMILL.ORG.UK
    This is a Kent Community messsage.
    Following on from the message that I distributed yesterday - if you have a telephone call from a company called Crime Research U K, it is important that you do not give them any details about yourelf or home security.
    Once you hang up, please dial 1471. Their number is usually withheld. However, if a phone number is available, please pass this onto Consumer Direct. They can be contacted on 08454 04 05 06.

It looks like no-one has any good words for these shysters...
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 15th Dec 09, 6:43 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Marketing by permission?
    BY TIM TRENT:
    Monday, December 14, 2009

Crime Research UK - cold calls against TPS Registration

Yet another company says it deals with Telephone Preference Service prohibitions and gives the excuse of "Something went wrong with our system today" to explain the cold call.

This lot wanted to make sure that I am the householder and am under 80 years old before they wanted to set some Rottweiler on me to make an appoint to stuff a home alarm system up my bottom. That isn't going to happen.

I did a Google search on them. It was very revealing. It shows, as if I didn't know, that they are, with some precision, the type of company I wish to deal with only in the year 2093.

I'll let you read the forum entry that Big G found. That makes interesting reading, doesn't it. <LINK TO THIS PAGE!>

So, what have I done? I've taken the address that they stated is them in the south of Engand:

Crime Research UK
    Princess Court
    Kingston-on-Thames
    Surrey.

They gave me a number 01925 552202 as well. I haven't called it.

I've made a complaint instead to The Telephone Preference Service and The UK Information Commissioner (using the links in the right hand margin here) , and I've reported them based on the information in that forum to Trading Standards.

That should annoy them.
    Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 15-12-2009 at 6:56 AM. Reason: Added author's name, telephone....
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 15th Dec 09, 6:59 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Want to complain about crime research uk / sas fire & security systems
    Try these websites:

Complaints - Telephone Preference Service
    - or use http://complaints.tpsonline.org.uk/Consumer/

Complaints - UK Information Commissioner
    - or use http://www.ico.gov.uk/complaints.aspx

Enjoy!
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 16th Dec 09, 7:52 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    The FIFE GAZETTE Issues Warning
    Trading Standards professionals are warning Fife consumers to be on their guard against bogus telephone callers asking questions about home security and alarm systems.

There have been recent reports of residents receiving phone calls asking questions about the type of alarm system that they currently have, and the caller then attempting to arrange for someone from the company to come out and discuss installation.
    The caller may also try to use scare tactics like advising that house break-ins in the consumer's area are up and they can provide them with an alarm system that will protect their property, or that their existing system is inadequate and needs replacing.
    Often the caller will state that the alarm system on offer is ‘free' but it will often become apparent that there is an expensive maintenance contract that will be sold with it. When the consumer starts to ask questions of the caller, for example an address where the company is based, they are given vague answers and sometimes they will hang up. It also seems that the callers are giving different company names are being given to different people.
    Consumers have stated that some of the names being used are ‘Crime Research UK', ‘Crimewatch UK', ‘Crimebusters' and ‘Crime Free Alarm Systems' or similar combinations of these. There may, however, be other names that the callers are using.
    John Geddes, Fair Trading Team Leader stated, "We would strongly advise people not to give out any personal or house related details to any telephone cold callers. It can be very difficult to verify exactly who is at the other end of the phone and whether or not they are calling on behalf of a genuine company.
    There have been a number of recent reports of telephone callers attempting to pressure people into signing up for an alarm system and expensive service contract. We would advise anyone who receives this kind of phone call to politely tell the caller that you are not interested and hang up. It would also be a good idea to make elderly relatives and friends aware of this advice".

For more information contact:

Craig Moffat, Fair Trading Officer
    Tel: 08451 55 55 55 + Ext 44 04 99 Contact Craig Moffat online
    By Post: Fife Council, Kingdom House, Kingdom Avenue, Glenrothes, KY7 5LT
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 23rd Dec 09, 8:40 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    This thread is now nearly top of the GOOGLE search list
    It appears as 2nd/3rd place when you search for "Crime Research UK" or "SAS Fire & Security Systems".

Thanks for all the links people!
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 27th Dec 09, 6:29 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Roy Bayfield, aka Mister_Roy, is not amused...
    From http://twitter.com/Mister_Roy/statuses/6806502820: -

Call from 'crime research uk' security vendors posing as officials. If only there was a way to transmit a 5-finger eye-strike down the phone
  • theologian
    They've just tried calling me. Same script as already given. I live in SK4 ...
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 6th Jan 10, 9:09 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    We are number one
    This thread is now FIRST in the list when you Google "CRIME RESEARCH UK".

Well done everybody!
    Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 06-01-2010 at 9:10 AM. Reason: Google
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 7th Jan 10, 10:43 AM
    • 4,171 Posts
    • 10,053 Thanks
    Seakay
    Just had a call from Crime Research UK.
    Asked how they got my number - guy calling said he didn't know, he was just working from the Maidstone call centre, and gave me the head office number
    01925 552202
    This number is for a message answering service - you only have the option to give a name and leave a message for them - Crime Research UK isn't even mentioned.
    He was starting the spiel about 4 free alarm systems being given away in the area, where they were operating because of the increase in domestic burglaries.
    I have made a report to the TPS
    Last edited by Seakay; 07-01-2010 at 10:51 AM.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 7th Jan 10, 11:01 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Daitems alarms
    Someone has been kind enough to PM me with some information regarding the security systems that SAS FIRE AND SECURITY install.

According to my source, SAS FIRE AND SECURITY install DAITEMS ALARMS and these can be purchased from this website: -

http://www.daitem.co.uk/pages_uk/catalogue_detail.php?langue_prod=uk&id_gamme=4&nom _catalogue=Security

However, these alarms cost £200 from DAITEMS so there obviously a bit of a markup after CRIME RESEARCH UK pass your contact details onto SAS FIRE AND SECURITY for the "free" alarm....
    Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 07-01-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: tidy!
  • sir_arthur_strebe-greblin
    They've just phoned me as well, from a 'withheld' number, with apparently the same script. I asked for the company details so that I could complete my report to the Telephone Preference Service (with whom I am registered) and the man just laughed.

Let's see if the TPS does anything.
  • vatiquette
    Just had this call and I am in BD6 - Seems like they try to soften you up with one call then hard sell with the second one.

Looking at this forum this has been going on for well over a year - I assume Trading Standards have been unable to resolve this. Also I signed up to TPS a long time ago.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 11th Jan 10, 12:48 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    A Warning from "Well Hill Residents' Association"
    Taken from this site: -

http://www.whra.org.uk/

2009-12-04 Beware of two telephone scan in the Well Hill Area. A company claiming to be Crime Reduction UK is telephoning homes in West Kent trying to get personal information such as bank details. If you receive such a call, dial 1471 to see if they did not block there telephone number. In all cases let Consumer Direct know on 0845 4040506.

A burglar alarm company going by the name of SAS Security have been making phonecalls to residents stating that they are working in conjunction with the police to help protect houses from burglars. They are asking people if they currently have a burglar alarm and are offering to come out and install a free alarm if they do not currently have one. We believe this to be a scam for the company to gain access to properties and would advise all residents to not give them any personal information or state that they do not have an alarm. If you receive such a call, dial 1471 to see if they did not block there telephone number. In all cases let Consumer Direct know on 0845 4040506.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 11th Jan 10, 12:58 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    East Renfrewshire Neighbourhood Watch Warning
    from this page, http://www.ernhw.org.uk/erc/tradingstandards : -

The following are a few companies that have come to the attention of ERNHW:
    "SAS Fire & Security Systems" of South Street, Glasgow (Possibly using unscrupulous sales techniques)
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 11th Jan 10, 1:52 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Westerwood Community Council Alert
    "Crime Awareness UK" Cold Calling Scam

I have just had a call from this company today and it looks like they may be targeting the Cumbernauld area as part of a telephone marketing campaign.

The basic script is that "Due to high crime in your area, you are one of only 4 properties to be selected for a free alarm system and a free Christmas Hamper." From my research it looks like everyone they call gets the same script. The scam is that while the alarm system is indeed free customers are pressured into signing an extremely expensive long term maintenance contract. From what I have read their methods are obnoxious and they target the elderly in particular.

They may also use an alias name of "SAS Fire and Security Systems"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

121Posts Today

1,468Users online

Martin's Twitter