Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 17th Nov 09, 3:49 PM
    • 1,567Posts
    • 1,626Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Home Research Group / Crime Research UK/ National Crime Bureau/ Crime Research Group
    • 17th Nov 09, 3:49 PM
    Home Research Group / Crime Research UK/ National Crime Bureau/ Crime Research Group 17th Nov 09 at 3:49 PM
    Today I received a call from a young woman working for "Crime Research UK" and was claiming to be interested in Crime Prevention. She stated that they were a semi-govermental organisation and doing research for SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD and were offering a FREE ALARM SYSTEM. When I pressed her for their company address, she passed me on to a Mr Crawford who said that he was the manager. When I asked him if they adhered to the Telephone Preference Service rules, he fed me a long story that, if you change your internet provider, then your TPS status is lost and you have to re-register all over again. What a crock! Anyway, he gave me the telephone number of SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD who they do the "research" for. So I called them.

Whilst talking to SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD, I disovered that they pay for contact information (sales leads) from CRIME RESEARCH UK and that, although the alarm was "free", you had to pay for them to fit it. When I pressed here on how it could be gauged as "free" if you still had to pay, the SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD representative stated that "you do not get anything for free nowadays". So that explains it - a meaning of the word "free" that is not widely known.

So I looked these two companies up: -

• "Crime Research UK"is a Registered Company No. 07050237 with an address of CG18 WARRINGTON BUSINESS PARK, LONG LANE, WARRINGTON, WA2 8TX. So not a governmental organisation then!
    • "SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD" can be found at Unit 1, Windsor House, Battersea Road, Heaton Mersey, Stockport, SK4 3EA. They seem to be VERY WELL known: Woldingham parish Council report this: -
      • SAS Fire and Security Ltd: Following the number of calls received by many of us over the past few weeks I have received the following two notifications. For those who have received calls please may I ask you to see the second point and to contact the Surrey Trading Standards Office
        From the local police:- They have received a number of complaints from people receiving calls in the whole of this area (not just Woldingham). The National Security Inspectorate - who regulate the whole alarm industry - have no knowledge of this firm. The police warn - that although appearing to be doing nothing illegal - BEWARE!
        From the Trading Standards Office:
        Surrey Trading Standards have received reports concerning a company called SAS Fire and Security Ltd, which are contacting Surrey residents in order to sell burglar alarms. We have received allegations that the company claim to be recommended by Neighbourhood Watch and in partnership with the police. Both of these claims are not true. We would like to hear from any customers who have received calls, or purchased an alarm, from this company.
    • The website www.thesecurityinstaller.co.ukreports far more worring information:-
      • Anybody familiar with the company SAS Fire and Security? They just tried fleecing my OAP parents for 8k!
        I've managed to stop further payments to them and get trading standards involved.
        Interested to hear if anyone else has had dealings with these low lives??
    • The DAILY RECORD website is positively scary, reporting this: -
      • SECURITY shark David Diaz has netted more than £6million selling thousands of vulnerable people rip-off alarms.
        The former SPL starlet and his team's scare tactics and lies - aimed mainly at OAPs - were exposed by the Sunday Mail last week.And it prompted more than 100 victims to come forward to reveal the shocking scale of the operation.

Last night furious Labour justice spokesman Richard Baker blasted the scandalous conduct of Diaz's SAS Fire and Security company, saying: "In most people's language, this is robbery, pure and simple."

Meanwhile a former employee exposed the ruthless tactics used by Diaz, 25, who changed his name from David Black after his football career flopped.

SAS Alarms have talked more than 2000 customers into paying between £1000 and £9000 for basic alarm systems - which are provided free to pensioners by many councils.

The former worker said Diaz: Told agents to target the elderly because they are easy pickings.Fabricates crime figures to scare victims into parting with their cash.Forces staff to offer "free" systems which will cost the victim thousands.Paid staff cash-in-hand and never gave them contracts.Last week we revealed how SAS fleece victims by making them sign contracts they say cannot be cancelled.

The former worker, who asked us not to name him for fear of reprisals, has now handed us scripts used by salesmen to shift the alarms. They claim SAS are part of a "crime awareness campaign" working with the Home Office and have uncovered a rise in crime in the target's area.

In reality, the company have no ties to the Home Office and the statistics they quote are made up. They claim they are giving away four free systems and the victim is a winner. But they tell everyone exactly the same thing. Later the "free offer" is withdrawn and the target is pressured into signing up to buy a system.

The ex-employee said: "They are a bunch of cowboys. They have a list of numbers and the majority are elderly. "People would be surprised at how much cash they are making. They have 2000 customers who have handed over thousands of pounds each.

"We're told to tell people there has been a rise in crime in their area but it doesn't matter where they live or whether it's true.

"Staff are paid cash in an envelope. I never had to sign any contract or anything."

Customer Robert Rogers and wife Catherine, of Motherwell, were horrified to learn their £7349 SAS alarm is worth just £200 after daughter Catrina called in another firm.

Robert, 74, a retired metal polisher, said: "I got the shock of my life when the other guy told me it was worth £200 at most."

Another buyer was targeted on the day of her husband's funeral.

Catherine Lamb, 61, says she signed up to an eight-year deal to get rid of the salesman. She was told it was too late to cancel and is tied into finance costing £9866.

Catherine, of Grange mouth, Stirlingshire, said: "The salesman scared me. He kept going on about the risks because I live alone."

SAS staff even used a murder in a Motherwell tower block to convince the victim's neighbours.

A rep highlighted the killing when he told offshore worker David Doig, 34, that violent crime was soaring. After three hours, he signed a contract worth £3700.

Diaz's contracts effectively waive the customers' right to a seven-day cooling-off period by allowing immediate installation.

But trading standards say customers are always entitled to a week to change their minds.

Meanwhile the Home Office said: "We don't have an association with SAS Fire & Security."

Labour justice spokesman Baker said: "The elderly can barely afford to heat their homes so this firm may as well be taking food out of their mouths."

Black's brother Vic, who is also a director at SAS, denied the firm is ripping people off.

He said: "We've never targeted elderly people - that is just a lie.

"I'm not going to discuss the scripts we use. We are a young company who have made mistakes but I guarantee we will address every complaint and make it right with the customer."

VICTIM 1

TOM and Rose Aitken, both 73, of Paisley had a basic alarm system fitted.

The agent said it would cost £3500 - but it is really £7220 over eight years.

They have tried to contact SAS without success.

VICTIM 2

THE Rogers only realised they had been duped when their daughter called in an alarms expert to check the system.

Robert, 74, said: "We're paying £7349 for an alarm worth £200 and our home is still not secure."

The Dodgy Pitch

SAS use a two-pronged approach to ensnare their potential clients.

Before a hard-nosed sales rep barges his way into a potential client's home, a specially trained phone operator cold-calls promising the earth.

Here is a blow-by-low account of their devious script - and what they really mean "I'm calling from SAS security as a courtesy due to the high rise in crime in the area.

We have a crime awareness campaign running...in line with the Home Office."

The phone operator has NO information about crime in the specific area they are calling. They sell alarms all over Glasgow where crime rates vary wildly. The Home Office say they have never heard of the company and do not vouch for their "crime awareness campaign".

"To promote the campaign SAS security are funding four free fire and security alarm systems...and your property has been selected as one of the four."

This script is read to EVERY customer who is cold called by the company - the alarm system is not free, it is simply paid for in inflated monthly "monitoring" charges.

"The system would normally cost you over £3000 but you'll get that free along with a free installation, so it's a free system and installation you'll receive absolutely free!"

The alarm is in no way "free". The company absorb the cost of the installation and equipment in the monthly charges.

The Dodgy Gear

DOUGLAS ROWAND is a home security expert who installs alarm systems for domestic and commercial use.

He has 20 years experience in home security.

He inspected a £7220 alarm system installed by SAS in the home of Tom and Rose Aitken, both 73, of Paisley.

He said: "The first thing I noticed is the shoddy workmanship.

"The sensors are on squint, one of them isn't working at all and the cover on the internal control panel is loose.

"If I were installing this system I'd charge around £500. A monitoring service on top of that would be about £12 a month.

"So I'd say a fair price would be around £1200 over the five years - far less than SAS are charging."
    The above script is almost exact, word-for word, as I was fed today by the woman from CRIME RESEARCH UK, complete down to the pretensions to be Government-related.

So this looks like a definite warning to keep well away from CRIME RESEARCH UK and SAS FIRE AND SECURITY SYSTEMS LTD. Don't fall for the "free alarm" scam and report them to the TPS and Trading Standards.
    Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 04-10-2010 at 7:15 PM. Reason: MR CRAWFORD!!!!
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
Page 1
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 17th Nov 09, 4:00 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    • 17th Nov 09, 4:00 PM
    Chiltern District Council warn about SAS Fire and Security Systems Ltd
    • 17th Nov 09, 4:00 PM
    Chiltern District Council are also unimpressed:-

Allegedly free security systems may not be what they seem...
    We have been informed that a company called SAS Fire and Security is cold-calling residents and offering to install free security systems with a small ongoing monitoring and maintenance cost.

The company is also saying that the security systems are being offered in conjunction with Chiltern District Council's wintertime burglary events that are currently being run at local train stations and town centres. This is untrue, Chiltern District Council is not linked in any way with this company.

If you are approached by SAS Fire and Security or indeed any organisation you are unsure about, please do not allow them into your home or give them any of your personal details. Contact our community safety team on 01494 732089, or call Consumer Direct on 0845 404 0506 or call the police on 0845 8 505 505.
    I am a cow so cannot speak Bullshine but I do recognise its smell when I come upon it.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 17th Nov 09, 4:03 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    • 17th Nov 09, 4:03 PM
    The Sunday Mail are also unimpressed...
    • 17th Nov 09, 4:03 PM
    ALARM salesman Paul Phoenix has been caught flouting the law by arguing with an elderly couple trying to cancel a "free" alarm - which would have cost them a staggering £8291.
    Burly Phoenix - failed pop star Paul McLernon - was secretly filmed during a 25-minute rant at the home of diabetic factory worker Irene Hutchison, 62, and pensioner husband Sammy, 65.

To view the secret filming, click here.

Phoenix turned up the heat after the couple realised the "free" alarm they had been promised by SAS Fire and Security would cost them a fortune and cancelled the deal.
    Hundreds of angry customers like the Hutchisons have complained about SAS.
    Sunday Mail investigators secretly filmed Phoenix as he tried to persuade Irene and Sammy not to cancel their £8291 contract.
    Former Greenock Juniors FC player Phoenix arrived at the couple's home in Bellshill, Lanarkshire, with sidekick Tony Valery.
    Their company is run by David Diaz, a flop former Motherwell FC player whose real name is David Black.
    The Hutchisons had agreed to a sales visit by Valery on February 10 after a cold call.
    They were told the alarm was "free" but were then hit with a s64-a-month five-year maintenance contract, costing £3849 in total. When they read the papers, they realised they would actually pay £138 a month - working out at a staggering £8291 - through a finance firm.
    Experts say a similar alarm would cost just £500 and another £700 to monitor for five years.
    After realising they had been duped, Irene and Sammy cancelled within the seven-day cooling-off period allowed by law.
    But SAS refused to give up and Phoenix and Valery arrived on Tuesday to browbeat them.
    Trick Irene said: "Phoenix was in our faces jabbing his pen at me.
    "We were stunned to learn it was £138-a-month. It was bad enough when we thought it was £64, which we still could not have afforded."
    Phoenix - singer with former Glasgow pop band Spyre - ranted for 25 minutes. He tried every dirty trick in his attempt to discredit the Mail's investigation into SAS.
    But the plucky Hutchisons sent the pair packing.
    During the high-pressure pitch, Phoenix:
    Lied by saying the couple had exceeded their seven-day cooling off period.
    Blamed them for destroying the livelihoods of SAS workers and their families.
    Said the finance company, not them, were ripping off people.
    Ignored their request to cancel at least eight times.
    Phoenix said: "You have got a cancellation period. If someone wants to cancel within that, we'll come and take it out but your cancellation period is done."
    However, the Hutchisons told Phoenix he was wrong and the flustered salesman backed down. He claimed the couple were lucky to get a "free" system and that it would yield £64,000 in sales for SAS through their recommendations.
    He also said his own mother had the same system.
    Phoenix offered to reduce the monthly payments to £40 but provided no detailed explanation.
    He then claimed it would "only" cost them 69p each day - £1259 in total - over the alarm's expected 15-year life.
    He said: "You got a free alarm and you are only four per cent of our business - the promotional side.
    "The other 96 per cent of our business is from people calling us asking for an alarm.
    "For every free alarm we give you, we make £64,000 in sales because of recommendations.
    "I swear on my kids' life I got my mother that system but I can't get her free monitoring maintenance.
    "Most people pay up-front but because you couldn't afford that, we put you on finance where you pay extra - and the only person who wins in finance is the finance company."
    He then turned on the Sunday Mail, saying: "See that garbage in the paper - it's a load of c*** .
    "The guy has not got a clue what he's on about and I guarantee by the end of March we'll have an apology.
    We're taking them to the cleaners.
    "You don't understand how many livelihoods this is affecting. People are reading it.
    "But there are a lot of people's lives and families who work for this company who are being affected because of this idiot.
    "This whole thing is down to two customers who wouldn't give us our alarms back.
    "It's going to cost me to get our marketing team to give your free alarm away to someone else, so why don't I just take a big chunk off your money?"
    Scambusters, a new governmentfunded body set up to tackle rogue traders, are investigating SAS.
    They became involved after a series of Sunday Mail investigations into slippery Diaz.
    We told how the shameless sharks targeted OAPs with scare stories during high-pressure sales pitches.
    After McLernon's football and music careers flopped he renamed himself after his favourite character from computer game Tekken.
    He got the idea from company director Black who changed his name to Diaz after film star Cameron Diaz.
    Trading standards consultant John Scott said: "I would not be surprised if there were criminal proceedings against the firm, based on this footage.
    "He confuses the lady, purposefully evading her questions.
    "I'm worried where he refers to the livelihoods of the employees being at risk if she cancels. This is the type of emotive sales technique that is banned under the new Unfair Trading Regulations.
    "I'm also surprised he told the woman her cooling-off period was over when it wasn't. It is the law that people have this cooling-off period."
    In his spiel Phoenix only talked about the £3850 price, which was less than half the £8291 that the Hutchisons would have really lost.
    John said: "It is misleading when he tells the lady what she will pay.
    "The lady is expressing anxiety because she is worried she can't afford the alarm but he has refused to back off right up until he left.
    "I counted eight times she told him she didn't want the alarm. Any reputable company would have backed off after being told once."
    Irene said: "SAS called me out of the blue telling me I'd won a free alarm.
    "Later that day they sent round the big one called Tony, who didn't let me get a word in edgeways.
    "As soon as he'd gone I realised I'd made a mistake but the man came round the next day to fit it and I felt I had to let him in.
    "When we sat down to look at how much it would cost us I was out of my mind with worry - Sammy is on £110-a-week pension.
    "When I told them I wanted to cancel they said they would have to send a man around. Tony turned up with Phoenix. It was intimidating."
    North Lanarkshire Council's trading standards said: "Scambusters have received a number of referrals from authorities throughout Scotland about SAS."
    SAS promise EVERY customer free alarms as a way of getting into people's homes.
    We have received almost 150 complaints about alarm scams.
    VIDEO NASTIES
    WE filmed salesmen Paul Phoenix and Tony Valery using all their tricks to save the deal. Here, trading standards experts explain how they broke the law.
    THE PITCH
    "You got a free alarm...that money is just for monitoring and maintenance. I got my mother the same system but there's no way I can get her free monitoring for it."
    THE BREACH
    Describing a product as "free" is banned if the consumer has to pay any other hidden fees which would cover things like excessive costs for monitoring an alarm system.
    THE PITCH
    "You don't understand how many livelihoods this is affecting...there are a lot of people's lives and families who work for this company who are being affected."
    THE BREACH
    Explicitly informing a customer that if they don't buy a particular product the traders' job or livelihood could be lost or put in jeopardy.
    Don't think I won't find out what yours are - and don't think that's an idle threat.
    "Go to head office you little p****. See if you want to have a meeting with me - stop phoning me on the f****** mobile.
    Come and sit down like a f****** man in front of me."
    Diaz, 25, was especially angry that the Sunday Mail gave his mobile number to a number of customers who could not get through to his call centre.
    He said: "If you give one more customer my mobile number we'll f****** see what happens and then you can f****** print that.
    I couldn't give a f*** what you print."

(He sounds like a lovely fellow, doesn't he)
    Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 17-11-2009 at 4:08 PM. Reason: £££££'s!
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 17th Nov 09, 4:05 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    • 17th Nov 09, 4:05 PM
    Surrey Trading Standards are unimpressed:-
    • 17th Nov 09, 4:05 PM
    Surrey Trading Standards have received reports concerning a company called SAS Fire and Security Ltd, which are contacting Surrey residents in order to sell burglar alarms. We have received allegations that the company claim to be recommended by Neighbourhood Watch and in partnership with the police. Both of these claims are not true. We would like to hear from any customers who have received calls, or purchased an alarm, from this company.
    Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 20-07-2010 at 4:25 PM.
  • markeast1
    • 19th Nov 09, 11:25 AM
    SAS are in Doncaster
    • 19th Nov 09, 11:25 AM
    Nearly went for a job interview with this company today, they are setting up in Doncaster now, watch out people. Thank goodness I did a little research first.
  • ramtec
    • 19th Nov 09, 6:51 PM
    • 19th Nov 09, 6:51 PM
    Just received a call from these muppets (18:20), we belong to the telephone preference service and when I mentioned to the sales woman that she had just woken up my 8 week old she said well if it hadn't been me it would of been someone else! I asked her to explain and she went on to say 'you don't leave your phone switched off' I said 'no' and with that she said 'well someone would have phoned you then'. I said 'no they would not as they know not to phone at this time in the evening and as we belong to the tps that no one else outside the family would or should!!!

Reported them to the tps, but surely companies like this should be shut down quick smart.

We're based in Hertfordshire
  • illingn
    • 20th Nov 09, 11:48 AM
    • 20th Nov 09, 11:48 AM
    I'm in St Albans, Hertfordshire too. Just had a call from these guys (he said, Crime Research UK) today at 11.40am. Same sort of thing, "We're doing a survey in the area and your home has been picked for 4 free alarms".

I told them I don't believe it for a second, and was just about to add we're registered with Telephone Prefencence Service...but he hung up on me.

I'll report them to tps as well!
  • gunpowder
    • 21st Nov 09, 4:57 PM
    SAS jokers
    • 21st Nov 09, 4:57 PM
    Im so glad i searched MSE. My mother in law asked us if we could go round there today as she had someone coming to talk to her about a "free alarm". Luckily i looked on here and found this.

I just took the phone call from them and asked the name of the company

"SAS"
    I told them that my mother in law was not interested and that i had heard enough about their company.

"What have you heard about our company"

"Well if you look on Money saving expert website , you will see for yourself. Can you please take my mother in laws details off of your computer , and i will also be contacting trading standards."

"Oh , OK thank you"

We are in Chelmsford so beware.
    Last edited by gunpowder; 21-11-2009 at 5:01 PM.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 22nd Nov 09, 3:08 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    • 22nd Nov 09, 3:08 AM
    How Long Will It Take
    • 22nd Nov 09, 3:08 AM
    before the first, only just registered, noobie MSE member adds to this discussion by stating that "Crime Research UK / SAS Fire & Security Systems Ltd" are BRILLIANT, dead-good, all straight-up and honest and everything and that the alarms are really good value (SIC! SIC! SIC!). Surely it can only be a matter of days now....

I can imagine that GUNPOWDER's last chat to them must be causing some thought about what they should do next.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 22nd Nov 09, 5:26 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    The Yorkshire STAR is also unimpressed...
    Calls ring alarm bells

Published Date: 13 November 2009 By Staff Copy

A "PUSHY" alarm company has triggered complaints to trading standards and the police after cold- calling elderly people in South Yorkshire.
    Reps for the firm, SAS Fire and Security Systems, of Stockport, advise householders they live in a high-crime area and their existing alarm is useless because it is not monitored.

SAS offers to fit a system free and charge to monitor the alarm but
    , according to Trading Standards, the cost is high, the cover is exaggerated, the contracts are very long and the credit is at very unreasonable rates.

A Trading Standards spokesman said: "The company is often unwilling to give their details over the phone, the salespeople are aggressive, pushy and difficult to get rid of when invited into the home."

One caller to Action Desk, who asked not to be named, said the SAS rep was in her parents' house for three hours.

SAS was unavailable for comment.

All incidents involving this company, and another alarm firm with the same methods – Crime watch UK/Crime research UK – should be reported to Consumer Direct on 08454 040506.

Remember you have a seven-day 'cooling off' cancellation period after signing a contract in your home
    Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 28-11-2009 at 9:25 AM. Reason: also!
  • Triciabuk
    They have started on West Yorkshire now.
    I had a call in Huddersfield this lunchtime from Crime Research UK. I informed the girl that I already had a burglar alarm and put the phone down. After seeing this forum I reported it to West Yorkshire Trading Standards who said they will report it to Warrington Trading Standards as that is the address that I took from the first message in this thread.
  • GrahamH
    Called me twice in Herts today

Gave me an 0800 number to call back (which doesn't work). Hung up as soon as I started asking questions about their address the second time...

Their website gives a full postal address

Unit 1, Windsor House
    Battersea Road
    Heaton Mersey
    Stockport
    SK4 3EA

Email info@999SAS.net

Telephone 0161 431 9098
    Fax 0161 431 9769
    Registration Number 06352874

Report them to Trading Standards/Consumer Direct
    And if you're on TPS, make sure you log it with them. http://complaints.tpsonline.org.uk/Consumer/

The more complaints, the sooner it's dealt with

Graham
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 25th Nov 09, 10:01 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Audlem Online are unimpressed with Crime Research UK / SAS Fire and Security Systems
    Celia Bloor states this: -

At lunchtime today, I received a call (number witheld) from someone saying they were from SAS Securities working with Crime Research UK in the CW3 area.
    At first it sounded like a survey and that they were compiling statistics but then turned out they were offering to install FREE security systems. I declined their offer and reported it to police who have given it an incident number.
    I have not had time nor the inclination to check out these organisations' names. Has any one else had this call?

Ian Bloor has since contacted Audlem Online to say: "Following Celia's call from Crime Research UK / SAS Fire and Security Systems Ltd, I Googled them and found, at the top of the list, a link to nine pages of information and warnings about them at forums, moneysavingexpert.com and a newspaper report along the same lines at www.thestar.co.uk

I have made the local (Crewe) Police aware of these reports.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 27th Nov 09, 3:50 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Forres Gazette is unimpressed
    http://www.forres-gazette.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/5331/Phone_fraud_warning.html

A FORRES woman has warned householders, particularly the elderly, to be on their guard if they receive a telephone offer of a free home alarm system.

The woman, who did not want to be named, received an unsolicited phone call from a firm calling itself Crime Research UK.

The caller offered to fit an alarm free of charge. However, when the woman said she would like to consult with her local police office first before taking up such an offer and asked for the caller's surname, he hung up the phone.

"You could be inviting anyone into your home and I just wanted to warn people, particularly more vulnerable people," she said.
    She has reported the matter to Moray Council's Trading Standards department.
    Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 27-11-2009 at 3:52 PM. Reason: Spacing...
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 28th Nov 09, 9:27 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    The Radyr and Morganstown Soapbox warns its people
    Whether or not you are registered with the telephone preference service this organisation claims to call on the basis of collaboration with the Home Office on helping people "combat rising crime in the CF14 and CF15 area".

You then get a call from someone from SAS Fire and Security Systems offering you a free alarm, except it's not free - they charge a fortune for fitting it!
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 30th Nov 09, 5:04 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    The Evening Courier warns....
    'Don't give details': Warning over burglar alarm hoax callers

Published Date: 28 November 2009

By Ruth Mosalski
    POLICE are warning people to be vigilant after cold callers targeted local people, asking for details about their burglar alarms.
    A local man was called by a company called Crime Research UK, who claimed to be working with the police and have Government funding.
    The caller told the man he had been chosen to have a free alarm fitted. They asked him whether he already had an alarm, and what make it was. When he asked for a number to return the group's call, they gave him a torrent of abusive.
    "It's clearly someone trying to find out who has burglar alarms. These people can be pretty nasty," he said.
    West Yorkshire Police said: "We would never put our name to any organisation cold calling.
    "We encourage people to be vigilant, like this man was, and not give any details like these out."
    West Yorkshire Trading Standards confirmed more than 20 people had made inquiries to them about the company.
    Anyone with concerns should call the police on 0845 6060606.
    Last edited by SpammyTheSpammer; 30-11-2009 at 5:06 PM. Reason: cleaning
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 4th Dec 09, 1:08 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    West Yorkshire Police Warning:-
    Warning after burglar alarm hoax callers – 1 Dec 09

"Police are warning people to be vigilant after cold callers’ targeted local people asking for details about their burglar alarms. The callers purporting to be from a company called Crime Research UK.

The Police would never put out name to any organisation cold calling and we encourage people to be vigilant and not give any details out.

West Yorkshire Trading Standards confirmed that more than 20 people have made inquiries to them about the company.
    Anyone with concerns should call the police on 0845 6060606 or Brighouse 01484 405251"
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 4th Dec 09, 1:11 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    Huddersfield Daily Examiner Warning:-
    Cold caller warning over burglar alarms - Dec 3 2009 by Joanne Douglas, Huddersfield Daily Examiner

COLD callers have been targeting people asking for details of their burglar alarms.

The hoax callers tell the homeowner they are from a company called Crime Research UK.

But West Yorkshire Police say people need to be vigilant and not give any details about their burglar alarm to anyone.

West Yorkshire Trading Standards have said that more than 20 people have made inquiries to them about the company after receiving a call.

Anyone with concerns should call the police on 0845 6060606 or Brighouse 01484 405 251.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 5th Dec 09, 3:58 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    TheFreeLibrary.com warns
    Callers set off alarm bells.

COLD callers have been targeting people asking for details of their burglar alarms.

The hoax callers tell the homeowner they are from a company called Crime Research UK.

But West Yorkshire Police West Yorkshire Police is the Home Office police force responsible for policing West Yorkshire in England. It is the fourth largest force in England and Wales by number of officers, with 5671 officers. say people need to be vigilant and not give any details about their burglar alarm to anyone.

West Yorkshire West Yorkshire, former metropolitan county, N central England. Created in the 1974 local government reorganization, the county largely embraced the Leeds conurbation and comprised five metropolitan districts: Calderdale, Bradford, Leeds, Wakefield, and Kirklees. Trading Standards have said that more than 20 people have made inquiries to them about the company after receiving a call.

Anyone with concerns should call the police on 0845 6060606 or Brighouse 01484 405 251.
    • SpammyTheSpammer
    • By SpammyTheSpammer 6th Dec 09, 8:44 AM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,626 Thanks
    SpammyTheSpammer
    PaulAppleyard just had a very unpleasant phone call from Crime Research IK
    Paul Appleyard just had a very unpleasant phone call from somebody called "Crime Research UK"... Beware!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,332Posts Today

7,993Users online

Martin's Twitter