Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 1st Dec 09, 8:20 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 1st Dec 09, 8:20 PM
    • 1st Dec 09, 8:20 PM
    If the shoe was on the other foot she would expect a customer to return them to her.

She should do the decent thing and send them back.

• Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 1st Dec 09, 9:11 PM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 1st Dec 09, 9:11 PM
    • 1st Dec 09, 9:11 PM
    She should definitely send them back, but get the shop's courier returns service to collect it; she shouldn't be out of pocket for their mistake. Also, the online shop may eventually realise their mistake and that wouldn't bode well for future relations with the store. Eg I shop loads at one site and am on very good terms with a couple of the staff members. In return, they don't mind me using discount vouchers for ALL my purchases and call me to update me on things. An who knows, they may reward her honesty with a freebie or a discount.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 2nd Dec 09, 2:11 AM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 2nd Dec 09, 2:11 AM
    • 2nd Dec 09, 2:11 AM
    I'd feel to worried that Karma would affect the wedding and or marrage! I'd hand them back!

Its also not really worth selling anything on ebay unless your a pro- ebay don't work for the small sellers, they don't help you out if you get ripped off, paypal wont support your claim even if you mailed recorded delivery, in short, your better off not getting stressed out and sending the shoes back to the online store.

But if the store had been nasty or had a history of poor customer service, I'd feel this was karma working in my favor and give the shoes to a friend.
  • hlcarroll
    • 2nd Dec 09, 3:19 AM
    • 2nd Dec 09, 3:19 AM
    I would be scared about karma too, althrough I also LOVE shoes! hmm, I'm not sure, but I think there is a chance I would keep them!
    'Patience is a virtue till we die.
    Then a ripple in the water caught my eye'
    Mrs Jason Orange.
    Getting organized and thrifty for christmas 2010!
    • keet83
    • By keet83 2nd Dec 09, 5:10 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    keet83
    • 2nd Dec 09, 5:10 AM
    • 2nd Dec 09, 5:10 AM
    she can keep them because it was the fault of the shop for sending out 2 pairs. I had a similar occurrence with something else; i kept it because it was their fault and not my own.

with the karma thing, what if something bad has already happened to you before and this is the repayment? :confused:
    Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can!
    That used to be the case
  • cit_k
    • 2nd Dec 09, 5:54 AM
    • 2nd Dec 09, 5:54 AM
    Is Imelda honest, or not, as that would have a influence on what she may do.
    • rosalie-lavender
    • By rosalie-lavender 2nd Dec 09, 5:56 AM
    • 1,430 Posts
    • 4,169 Thanks
    rosalie-lavender
    • 2nd Dec 09, 5:56 AM
    • 2nd Dec 09, 5:56 AM
    I would email the supplier and ask for a courier to collect them. I would definitely give them the chance to have them back. If someone overcharges me I expect a refund but it works both ways. If someone supplies me with more then I tell them and they can have the items back if they wish.

It has actually happened to me twice over the last year and in both cases I have been told to keep the goods, although they were of less value than a pair of designer shoes.
    • tucker61
    • By tucker61 2nd Dec 09, 6:17 AM
    • 16 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    tucker61
    • 2nd Dec 09, 6:17 AM
    • 2nd Dec 09, 6:17 AM
    I work for a company where this has recently happened Customers recieved 4 of something instead of 1 and the first we knew about it was when 3 customers advised us of the problem.
    We have not heard anything back from the other 38 customers who bought the same item yet and would of recieved 4.
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 2nd Dec 09, 7:13 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    This happened to me years ago, but it wasn't shoes. The company later realised their mistake and contacted me for payment of the second item (a drill set).
    She should send one pair back under the no quibble long distance selling regulations for a refund. If she is later contacted about the second pair she will be no worse off.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 2nd Dec 09, 7:32 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    She doesn't actually have to do anything as long as she keeps the shoes in their wrapping for twelve months. If the store don't claim them back within the twelve months they are deemed to be hers.
  • iloveorkney
    Moral dilemma - No
    Legal Dilemma - Yes
    • Un0riginal
    • By Un0riginal 2nd Dec 09, 8:27 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    Un0riginal
    If she is a thief then no. If she is honest then yes.
  • cranhill
    Yes I would send them back, but I would contact the shop and and ask them for a Freepost address or that they send a prepaid address label to me.
    • pineapple
    • By pineapple 2nd Dec 09, 8:31 AM
    • 6,298 Posts
    • 30,236 Thanks
    pineapple
    I would notify them. I might want to use the supplier again with a clear conscience. And it could have been your or mine fledgling online business.
  • bitemebankers
    I'm not really understanding the "moral dilema" angle of this particular question. It's theft, plain and simple.
    • Shameless
    • By Shameless 2nd Dec 09, 8:50 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Shameless
    Should certainly 'fess up, in the same way as if given too much change in a shop.

However, to put a twist on this- I bought 2 chairs as a birthday present for a friend, delivered directly to her. When I visited a few weeks later, I realised that they had delivered 4 chairs. Am afraid that under those circs I kept shtum...
  • cassie55
    I'm not really understanding the "moral dilema" angle of this particular question. It's theft, plain and simple.
    Originally posted by bitemebankers
    Absolutely. I wouldn't think twice about contacting the shop. However I would expect them to pay for the return postage/courier.
    • spotit
    • By spotit 2nd Dec 09, 9:44 AM
    • 287 Posts
    • 2,984 Thanks
    spotit
    Honesty
    Did she ever hear the word HONESTY? Would she like people to be dishonest with her. If a payment was accidentally taken out of her bank twice would she be happy if the recipient just kept it?
  • wearewolves
    This is a bit weird. If I understand correctly, the question is:

'Should I steal things that don't belong to me or not?'

Tricky one that.

Oh and the argument that it wasn't her fault so she can keep them if brilliant. So if I find an old lady's purse with her pension in it, it's mine is it as it was 'her fault' she dropped it for me to pick up. The same presumably applies to leaving the window open at the back of the house when you pop out - certainly not the burglars fault you did that.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,005Posts Today

7,217Users online

Martin's Twitter