Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
    • hayley11
    • By hayley11 25th Nov 09, 12:03 AM
    • 7,367 Posts
    • 14,864 Thanks
    hayley11
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:03 AM
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:03 AM
    Ooh the first to reply!

I saw bags of sugar (definitely 1kg) in my local pound shop, a bag of sugar doesn't cost 1 so thought that was a bit of a rip off. Shall look out for more
    Last edited by hayley11; 25-11-2009 at 1:38 PM.
    Think happy & you'll be happy
    I my doggies
  • Sweetcorn-Teeth
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:16 AM
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:16 AM
    Sponges!!!

they sell a five pack in the pound shop - BUT you can get them for around 14p for a pack of five in asda smart price / tesco value ect
    • far
    • By far 25th Nov 09, 12:35 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 110 Thanks
    far
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:35 AM
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:35 AM
    Ooh the first to reply!

I saw bags of sugar in my local pound shop, a bag of sugar doesn't cost 1 so thought that was a bit of a rip off. Shall look out for more
    Originally posted by hayley11
    Be careful which ones they are - Poundland sell 1.5KG bags which work out pretty cheap but 1KG bags would be dear - in any case you can currently get 1KG of sugar from Poundstretcher for 59p.
    • gjs1701
    • By gjs1701 25th Nov 09, 12:48 AM
    • 144 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    gjs1701
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:48 AM
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:48 AM
    Paracetamol. 3 boxes of 16 for a pound, while they are 14p a box in Wilkinson or even 28p a box in the supermarket.
    • rosekitten
    • By rosekitten 25th Nov 09, 12:58 AM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 2,282 Thanks
    rosekitten
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:58 AM
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:58 AM
    16p in ASDA
    • rosekitten
    • By rosekitten 25th Nov 09, 12:59 AM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 2,282 Thanks
    rosekitten
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:59 AM
    • 25th Nov 09, 12:59 AM
    Also the large car sponges 1 each
    49p in Asda & Tesco
    • rosekitten
    • By rosekitten 25th Nov 09, 1:02 AM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 2,282 Thanks
    rosekitten
    • 25th Nov 09, 1:02 AM
    • 25th Nov 09, 1:02 AM
    not forgetting the 3 for two on Foxes
    biscuits in Poundworld same ones were
    between 44p to 55p in supermarkets
    or in some supermarkets 2 for a 1.
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 25th Nov 09, 1:04 AM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    • 25th Nov 09, 1:04 AM
    • 25th Nov 09, 1:04 AM
    Ooh the first to reply!

I saw bags of sugar in my local pound shop, a bag of sugar doesn't cost 1 so thought that was a bit of a rip off. Shall look out for more
    the bags of sugar are cheaper than anywhere thyre 1.5kg
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
    • rosekitten
    • By rosekitten 25th Nov 09, 1:05 AM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 2,282 Thanks
    rosekitten
    in fact I would say that Poundworld are my
    least favourites among the shops.They have
    a few things that you would say,ooh thats a good
    price for them and the rest is stuff that is considerably
    cheaper in the likes of Homebargains,Wilkinsons &
    B&M stores
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 25th Nov 09, 1:36 AM
    • 12,553 Posts
    • 11,735 Thanks
    jenniewb
    Never buy just one can/bottle when on offer for "4 for a pound"- if you buy one, its a pound, if you buy 3, its a pound, if you buy 4, its a pound. The staff either don't care or don't know how to divide 100 by 4! Madness!!
  • Fortnum
    If you consider tat to be a bargain, then it's hard to differentiate what to buy and what not to buy from a 'pound-shop'. The clue is in the name. It's cheap nasty tat which would break on the second usage (if you're lucky), necessitating the purchase of a proper item (at a fair price) along with the wasted money on the tat. How exactly can that be construed as 'money saving'?
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 25th Nov 09, 2:03 AM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    If you consider tat to be a bargain, then it's hard to differentiate what to buy and what not to buy from a 'pound-shop'. The clue is in the name. It's cheap nasty tat which would break on the second usage (if you're lucky), necessitating the purchase of a proper item (at a fair price) along with the wasted money on the tat. How exactly can that be construed as 'money saving'?
    Originally posted by Fortnum
    its not all tat ive had some good stuff from there and its fine

have you brought stuff from there
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • RSteve
    The toiletries need watching - Alberto Balsam shower gels there sell for 89p in B&M bargains. Any of the cheap brands you've never heard of you can probably find an equivalent supermarket value range or other cheapo brand which will be just as good for a lot less than 1 too - try rival non-1 discount stores like B&M bargains, Savers chemists for toiletries and supermarkets for value ranges.

The painkillers are usually poor value too - supermarkets usually have generic painkillers cheaper than they do.

Pretty much anything that would normally be less than 1 and they sell 2, 3 or 4 for a pound you'll find you can get cheaper individually in other stores too - like packs of cheap no-brand biscuits, 3 for 1 you can often find them for less than 33p elsewhere and buy exactly how many you want then too.

Every package of pens I've ever bought at a pound shop have either lasted 5 minutes or not worked at all, even when branded so I can only assume they are old/faulty stock - a pack of 12 Papermate biros I bought recently - tried every single one, not one worked at all no matter how much I tried.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 27-11-2009 at 11:40 AM.
  • Iheart2poundcoins
    set of 2 baby weaning bowls 12 months +
    only 79p in BM Stores.

2 bars of Dove soap
    2 bars in B stores 90p

both things equal 31p saving than pound shop.
    (todays find)

(I think you have to watch for loads of things. Somethings might be bargains but generally shops like Savers and Bm stores are cheaper. Toothpaste is a good buy and generally babywipes, although can be 99p elsewhere, and Bm stores sell 6 packs for around 3.50 which is the cheapest I've found.)
    50p/24.00 Xmas 2010
    2010:NO toiletries/clothes/thrifty Challenge
    • chrisnorden
    • By chrisnorden 25th Nov 09, 4:09 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    chrisnorden
    There's so much info here - too much time on some peoples' hands??!!

However, I look in Poundland for books, some of which are to my taste, then when read, recycle them at my local 2nd hand book stall who gives me a minimum of 50p against his other wares.

I also find it useful for a spanner, screwdriver etc, that I happen to need but will probably only use once or twice - a bit like disposable razors.
    As with all things in life - if it suits your need then it is fairly priced - buyer beware

As in anything in
  • Sinede
    Ooh the first to reply!

In our pound shop the sugar is 1.5kg not 1kg like you normally buy in the supermarket for ninety odd pence, so is a bargain.
    • roddydogs
    • By roddydogs 25th Nov 09, 7:43 AM
    • 6,088 Posts
    • 2,572 Thanks
    roddydogs
    Dont be fooled by the batteries because their "Sony" or "Panasonic" their still rubbish.
  • Gemmidodgers
    Tetley's drawstring tea bags. 1 pound!
    • megsykins
    • By megsykins 25th Nov 09, 9:05 AM
    • 208 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    megsykins
    Balloons - 1 in Poundland but 78p in Tesco.
    Wouldn't trust the 2 for 1 pregnancy tests either (not that I've tried them)

1 pick & mix is great though - it's 3.99 in the video shop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,225Posts Today

5,978Users online

Martin's Twitter