Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    joshieg3011
    Are you ever embarassed by your money-saving ways?
    • 11th Nov 09, 7:40 PM
    Are you ever embarassed by your money-saving ways? 11th Nov 09 at 7:40 PM
    Went for an overnight stay with two good friends recently to a 5- star hotel (it was on offer, I promise!) To save money, I suggested we have lunch in a cafe in town instead of at the hotel. My friends both ordered Ploughmans Lunch. There was honestly about a pound of cheese on each plate, only cut in half. They only managed to eat a tiny bit of cheese each. I suggested they wrap the cheese up in their napkins and put it in the mini-bar fridge in our room. The look of horror on their faces was enough to quieten me. Sadly the waitress came to take the plates away and I just knew the cheese was going in the bin!

Has anyone else ever felt embarassed by their MSE ways?

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 17-11-2009 at 7:32 PM.
Page 1
    • CCP
    • By CCP 11th Nov 09, 7:46 PM
    • 4,599 Posts
    • 92,841 Thanks
    CCP
    • 11th Nov 09, 7:46 PM
    • 11th Nov 09, 7:46 PM
    I totally agree with you on this one - I would have taken the cheese, too, without the slightest bit of embarrassment. :confused:

My particular habit at work is turning off people's computer monitors on my way out of the office (I'm not sure if that's MSE or green, tbh ). One of my colleagues sheepishly admitted the other week that he had thought for months that his monitor was turning itself off - he hadn't realised I was doing it for him!
    • huston_kw
    • By huston_kw 11th Nov 09, 7:57 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 8,939 Thanks
    huston_kw
    • 11th Nov 09, 7:57 PM
    • 11th Nov 09, 7:57 PM
    People can take me as they find me... my sister not so mse use to have the horrors at going in charity shops, she would stand away from the shop so no one would know she was there. I have thankfully convince her they are cool so she's fine now, she even goes in by herself .

• Twinkles08
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:02 PM
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:02 PM
    Most of the time,I'm quite proud of my money saving/old style attitude,but I have to admit my husbands bro and sis in law, do make me feel like a bit of a skinflint!But then they are v materialistic and appearance is extremely important to them-portraying the correct image is everything.Saying that I know for a fact that they had to sell their house and business to cover consumer debts that they had racked up (mostly on the credit cards!)So I remind myself that my attitude is much better and will hopefully (eventually) build a secure future for us
    Our 2 gorgeous little girls born 2006 and 2010
    First House Deposit - 90.00
    DFW Nerd Member 1143 Orig debt app 12000.00
    Total Joint Debt ( Mar 2012)3208.25

• fabforty
    • By fabforty 11th Nov 09, 8:03 PM
    • 757 Posts
    • 3,055 Thanks
    fabforty
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:03 PM
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:03 PM
    Went for an overnight stay with two good friends recently to a 5- star hotel (it was on offer, I promise!) To save money, I suggested we have lunch in a cafe in town instead of at the hotel. My friends both ordered Ploughmans Lunch. There was honestly about a pound of cheese on each plate, only cut in half. They only managed to eat a tiny bit of cheese each. I suggested they wrap the cheese up in their napkins and put it in the mini-bar fridge in our room. The look of horror on their faces was enough to quieten me. Sadly the waitress came to take the plates away and I just knew the cheese was going in the bin!

Has anyone else ever felt embarassed by their MSE ways?
    Originally posted by joshieg3011
    I'm more embarrassed by the ways that I have wasted money over the years - the crap that I bought but didn't need/use, clothes that I never wore, premium range food which cost and arm and a leg, 4 per day on starbucks, etc. I'm ashamed to admit that once (but only once, thank goodness) I even did a did my weekly grocery shop in Marks and Spencer - it's along story.
    Now I'm shameless.
  • joshieg3011
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:20 PM
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:20 PM
    People can take me as they find me... my sister not so mse use to have the horrors at going in charity shops, she would stand away from the shop so no one would know she was there. I have thankfully convince her they are cool so she's fine now, she even goes in by herself .
    Originally posted by huston_kw
    We went into the town and there were loads of charity shops - I thought I had died and gone to heaven! Said "Do you mind if we have a look in here?" Friend replies "Do we really have to?" I said "I'll re-phrase that - I'm going into the charity shop, you go where you want". Don't think she was too amused...
  • joshieg3011
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:22 PM
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:22 PM
    I'm more embarrassed by the ways that I have wasted money over the years - the crap that I bought but didn't need/use, clothes that I never wore, premium range food which cost and arm and a leg, 4 per day on starbucks, etc. I'm ashamed to admit that once (but only once, thank goodness) I even did a did my weekly grocery shop in Marks and Spencer - it's along story.
    Now I'm shameless.
    Originally posted by fabforty
    Yes, I know what you mean, I am embarassed by that too. Like the real nappies I bought (for my second child) for about 250.00 and couldn't be bothered with the hassle of them. When I bought my first flat many moons ago, I couldn't work out why I had no money and was in debt. Maybe it was something to do with the fact that I went out after work every night and then would come home to eat one of my many Marks & Spencer's ready meals....
    • charlies-aunt
    • By charlies-aunt 11th Nov 09, 9:04 PM
    • 1,581 Posts
    • 13,511 Thanks
    charlies-aunt
    • 11th Nov 09, 9:04 PM
    • 11th Nov 09, 9:04 PM
    I'm not embarassed about charity shop purchases, buying 'Basics' branded products etc as I make no pretence of being well heeled and I aren't ashamed of being less well off than some.

Having said that, I do wish that Sainsbuys et al would re-design the labelling of their 'basics' range though.
    The best things in life aren't things

2017 Grocery challenge 110.00 per week/ 5720 a year

• leed
    • By leed 11th Nov 09, 10:37 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 2,695 Thanks
    leed
    • 11th Nov 09, 10:37 PM
    • 11th Nov 09, 10:37 PM
    Quite often if we go out for a meal and I can't eat all the meat I put it in a paper napkin and bring it home for the dog - she always knows when I've got something in my bag. One time after doing this and getting home my son looked very bemused when the dog went crazy smelling my bag. He hadn't seen me put the left over meat away!
    If we are having pizza and can't finish it I ask for it to be put into a pizza box to take home - the waiter usually is quite happy to do this - I've paid for the food and I begrudge wasting it. Before now we have even taken a partly finished bottle of wine home - I know your not supposed to as the restaurant normally doesn't have an off-licence licence but well, again if we have paid for it why not take it home and drink it?

• London Town
    • By London Town 11th Nov 09, 11:47 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    London Town
    I'm at the age now when I don't really care anymore what people think of me (the wonders of approaching 40!). However, it sometimes frustrates me when people mistake MSE living with meaness. That's a completely different thing.

As to the original question, no I'm not embarressed and I would have taken the cheese if my friends didn't want it. It had been paid for and was only going to the bin. I always take my paper napkin from a meal out if it's still got some use left in it. I've sat opposite colleagues who barely use their napkin, then scrunch it up and put it on the dirty plate. Why??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Bronnie
    • By Bronnie 11th Nov 09, 11:47 PM
    • 4,089 Posts
    • 11,491 Thanks
    Bronnie
    DD's workplace sell bottled water for staff 1 for 1.5l . When she buys a new botttle, she gets it at the supermarket for around 35p for 2l.

They're on the phone all day so can keep water by their desk. She said the 'suits' frown, when the staff are seen refilling their water bottles at the cooler.

She's not embarassed though......!!
    Last edited by Bronnie; 11-11-2009 at 11:51 PM.
  • cookiedough38
    I am another that wouldn't be embarrassed taking food, however, if it was my friends I may be. Even my 4 year old will wrap up her left overs and bring it on with her!

I had a meat ploughman's the other day and left a little pack of butter, that came with me!
    Debt free wannabe
    Littlewoods - 214.82 (DD set up so 0%)
    Very - 100 (0% on BNPL - 1/4/13)
    CC - 2600/3533.53 (0% until 1/6/14)
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 12th Nov 09, 7:22 AM
    • 16,405 Posts
    • 140,231 Thanks
    JackieO
    [QUOTE=joshieg3011;26790245]We went into the town and there were loads of charity shops - I thought I had died and gone to heaven!

When I was on holiday earlier this year in Derbyshire, my friend and I were in a town, I think it was Buxton.It seemed to be one long street of charity shops. I had never seen so many in one small town.
    We are both keen hunters of bargains .She does quilting and I knit,we both make things for a charity.We also love reading, so books are also what we scavenge for.We went into every one.I found a great Liverpool FC book for my 8 year old DGS which he was thrilled with.We go away somewhere for a week every year and the first thing we do when reaching a new town is hunt out the CS. We too are never bothered about having a 'doggy-bag' to take away unused food.We went to the U.S. a couple of years ago and its almost expected that you will take something away with you when you leave a restaraunt even if its only some of their gigantic waxed cartons of coffee or coke.We were touring the north-east corner of the U.S so were on the road quite a bit.Most of our picnic lunches were bits left over from breakfast in that mornings motel.,rolls,fruit,ect.Saved us a packet over the three weeks we were away. We also filled our flasks up with coffee before we left in the morning to get back on the road.She is a lot better off than I am finacially, but she travels quite a lot with her husband and is quite unabashed at using up food which would otherwise go to waste. I think the amount wasted in restruants is dreadfull I would have happily taken the cheese without a second thought. The Harvester chain will give you foil to wrap things in if you ask them.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018:Food Budget only( 1st Oct 30.96,15 Oct 14.28 total for month 45.24,) Total end of October since Jan 307.43
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 12th Nov 09, 7:45 AM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,129 Thanks
    luxor4t
    I'm at the age now when I don't really care anymore what people think of me (the wonders of approaching 40!). However, it sometimes frustrates me when people mistake MSE living with meaness. That's a completely different thing.
    Originally posted by London Town
    Please tell this to MiL :rolleyes:

She still equates conspicuous consumption with wealth.

I think she'd prefer OH & I to be deeply in debt but buying top brands :confused:
  • ceridwen
    My own mother comments unfavourably about some of my MSE ways as being things "that poor people do" or they're "too much hassle". She forgets how low my salary is and that being careful with money means I can manage to eat decent-quality food and keep a little money by me in reserve in case of emergency. On my salary I wouldnt be able to do so otherwise....

I guess the thing is too that my father has never been unemployed - or even worried about it. I, on the other hand, have been unemployed before now - so am well aware that it can happen to anyone (I thought I was immune from it until it did - but found I was wrong) and I know JUST how appallingly low benefit money is for a childless person - hence I have had no option whatsoever BUT to be very very careful with the pennies sometimes. I think once one has had one or more spells of unemployment then I guess the fear it could happen again probably doesnt go until one is safely retired and no longer needing a job - and I am certainly well aware that the Dole is now so low that I would worry about the waste if I dropped a piece of toast on the floor and had to throw it away.
    Last edited by ceridwen; 12-11-2009 at 8:03 AM.
  • Nicoll
    I totally agree with you on this one - I would have taken the cheese, too, without the slightest bit of embarrassment. :confused:

My particular habit at work is turning off people's computer monitors on my way out of the office (I'm not sure if that's MSE or green, tbh ). One of my colleagues sheepishly admitted the other week that he had thought for months that his monitor was turning itself off - he hadn't realised I was doing it for him!
    Originally posted by CCP
    I always do this too..
    There is no issue so small that it can't be blown out of proportion
    • 23rdspiral
    • By 23rdspiral 12th Nov 09, 8:42 AM
    • 1,927 Posts
    • 12,619 Thanks
    23rdspiral
    slowly slowly catchee monky...

mum taught me when young the beauty of charity shops (vintage, unique, charitable AND environmentally friendly, what more could you want!?!)

So now i'm teaching her careful consumerism, prudent purchases and the ability to return goods if they aren't right!!

And am slowly turning my friends this way too...:rolleyes:
    Relax, Breathe, Love 2014 Challenges:Cross Stitch Cafe Challenger 23. Frugal Living Challenger. No buying cleaning products. I used MSE advice to reduce my car insurance from 550 to 325!! & paid it off in full!!!
    • taplady
    • By taplady 12th Nov 09, 8:51 AM
    • 7,155 Posts
    • 73,597 Thanks
    taplady
    I'm not embarrased at all! -this week I went out into the street and picked up a pine bedside cabinet with a 'free' sign on it from outside a neighbours house much to my DSs embarrassment I did it up and its by my bed now I get a thrill from my freebie bargains and use freecycle, poundland, charity shops, carboots etc. I would have taken the cheese too!
    Living like this makes our money go much further and we're almost out of debt now, we're living within our means and next summer we'll be debt free
    Every penny saved is a penny saved
  • valk_scot
    My mum used to tell me I'd catch ringworm from wearing jumble sale clothes. Thirty-five years of jumble sales later it still hasn't happened!

My kids get the ocassional flash of embarrassment out of my money saving, have to say. Like the time I found a vast shelf of incredible reductions at Boots and made them take one basket each, totted up 5 of bargains into each of three baskets and pay for them seperately so I could get a 5 skincare voucher with each basket! (There was still a ton of stuff left...) Or when they open their packed lunches and there's something from the Tesco Whoopsie shelf in it with a "Reduced to 2p" sticker on it, because I'm not rebagging a 2p doughnut and the sticker won't come off. They've got used to me pulling the car over at skips and raiding them for wood etc for the allotment though. They even made their dad do it once when they saw someone chuck a chimney pot into a skip because "Mum will WANT that!" (I did...)

Hubby doesn't care. He takes bags of whoopsied doughnuts and Danish pastries into the staff tearoom quite happily, and he said the 1 Thorntons Continental cake made him very popular with the departmental secretaries.

I did go out for lunch with a very smart friend a few weeks back. We had our lunch and a long natter then we went our seperate ways as she had errands to run, apparently. I was in an unfamiliar area of the city so decided to look round the charity shops before I went home and who did I bump into? After we had a good laugh about it she told me what charity shop she'd got her coat in and I told her about my cardigan. I do think more and more people are waking up to the fact that they can't just waste money, that they need to be a little more careful. I have this feeling that ten or twenty years from now we'll look back at the first few years of the millenium as the last ones where indiscriminate consumerism ran riot, before we all screwed the head a bit and decided money and buying things wasn't all that made you sucessful and happy. I hope so anyway!
    Val.
  • Olliebeak
    I've never been embarassed by my money-saving ways BUT my kids have when they were younger.

Have to say that they've now come around, though they don't take it as far as I do - well not yet anyway .

DS2 is beginning to get a reputation as a skinflint but I know he just wants the very best value for money for his hard-earned. He will search high and low for discounts on everything BUT I can't get him to register with Freecycle just yet - though he asks me to search/request on his behalf!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,599Posts Today

6,252Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin