Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    troshy
    0 WOW
    Secret Starbucks Coffee
    • 3rd Jun 06, 8:17 AM
    0 WOW
    Secret Starbucks Coffee 3rd Jun 06 at 8:17 AM
    Hi

Apparently there is a secret coffee size in Starbucks which they don't advertise but they have special cups for and buttons on their tills for. It's called the "Short" coffee and some employees won't give it to you unless you argue with them that it does actually exist.

It's worth the arguing though cause apperently it gives you a better milk to coffee ratio and gives you better value for money. I think Starbucks actually loose money on them so I guess that is why they don't advertise them.

Has anyone else heard of these?

James
Page 1
  • Bob63
    • 3rd Jun 06, 8:37 AM
    • 3rd Jun 06, 8:37 AM
    They definitely sell them in the US. I have ordered them for colleagues.

http://www.boosman.com/blog/2006/01/the_secret_starbucks_drink.html
    http://www.slate.com/id/2133754/

Mike
  • jnd
    • 3rd Jun 06, 9:40 AM
    • 3rd Jun 06, 9:40 AM
    Last edited by jnd; 15-06-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: ............
  • KathrynPenguin
    • 3rd Jun 06, 9:43 AM
    • 3rd Jun 06, 9:43 AM
    I always order a Short coffee for my mum she thinks they are all too big and cant drink one. If you look on the menu there is a short tea listed (i think but don't quote me it might be something else). I have had staff say "oh we don't do short" and have said, "could you check again, I order it regularly at another branch" and they have found the button on the till!

It's not really worth arguing with me though, I'm a Venti girl through and through and at this time of year will usually have a Venti Latte in and then a Venti frappachino to go - they sure make their money outta me!

I wonder if you can get a short frappachino - I like the fruit based ones and so does my toddler - a short would be just right for him....
  • jnd
    • 3rd Jun 06, 10:07 AM
    • 3rd Jun 06, 10:07 AM
    Last edited by jnd; 15-06-2013 at 12:47 PM. Reason: ............
  • yummum
    • 3rd Jun 06, 1:24 PM
    Starbucks 'short' cups
    • 3rd Jun 06, 1:24 PM
    I used to work for Starbucks (I left a week ago) and I can confirm that Starbucks do have a smaller cup called the short size. It is cheaper. It is the same size as the 'kids hot chocolate'. Older customers tend to have cups of tea in the short size because they are often suprised by the american cup sizes (Venti is a pint!) and find them a bit much. You can ask for a smaller size but you might find the staff reluctant but they are there available for every hot drink.

The cold drinks (frap's) only come in the 3 sizes but you can ask for a very small plastic cup (free) and pour some in yourself for smaller children. I get one for my little girl and give her some milk foam for her biscuit, and she feels all grown up too!

Don't forget if you buy a cup (very expensive option) you can take it in a get the drinks cheaper... I think its 10 or 15p??? No one ever did this though. I might start since I've no staff discount now
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 3rd Jun 06, 5:34 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    • 3rd Jun 06, 5:34 PM
    • 3rd Jun 06, 5:34 PM
    [QUOTE=yummum]I used to work for Starbucks (I left a week ago)

Perhaps you can tell me if its true that you can get free refills if you are drinking your coffee in the shop? My cousin in the States says that you can.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • mm66
    • By mm66 3rd Jun 06, 8:07 PM
    • 542 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    mm66
    • 3rd Jun 06, 8:07 PM
    • 3rd Jun 06, 8:07 PM
    [QUOTE=recovering spendaholic]
    I used to work for Starbucks (I left a week ago)

Perhaps you can tell me if its true that you can get free refills if you are drinking your coffee in the shop? My cousin in the States says that you can.
    by yummum
    In US you get a refill of drip coffee for 50p if ordered in the shop within one hour of the first drink...UK as usual refuses to do it!!
    Last edited by mm66; 07-06-2006 at 1:37 PM.
  • troshy
    • 6th Jun 06, 12:00 AM
    • 6th Jun 06, 12:00 AM
    I thought I would try and ask for a Short Cappacino today when I walked past Starbucks.

The server didn't hear me the first time (maybe they are not asked for often?) but the second time I asked she moved a pen holder out of the way on her desk and low and behold were a stack of the secret short size cups. She pressed the short button on the till and a minute or so later I got the secret coffee.

Not an expert, but it did taste pretty good.
  • wishingonastar
    i've been drinking short coffees for ages from starbucks, as i can't manage a large one. i never knew they weren't advertised, i just asked for smallest size one day and was told it was called a short.
    2 saver club 30th sept 198 2 coins = 396(350 banked)
  • Tribal
    I used to work for Starbucks (I left a week ago) and I can confirm that Starbucks do have a smaller cup called the short size. It is cheaper. It is the same size as the 'kids hot chocolate'. Older customers tend to have cups of tea in the short size because they are often suprised by the american cup sizes (Venti is a pint!) and find them a bit much. You can ask for a smaller size but you might find the staff reluctant but they are there available for every hot drink.

The cold drinks (frap's) only come in the 3 sizes but you can ask for a very small plastic cup (free) and pour some in yourself for smaller children. I get one for my little girl and give her some milk foam for her biscuit, and she feels all grown up too!

Don't forget if you buy a cup (very expensive option) you can take it in a get the drinks cheaper... I think its 10 or 15p??? No one ever did this though. I might start since I've no staff discount now
    by yummum
    I happened to have a coffee cup just bought elsewhere with me, and they gave me the 10p discount. Didn't have to be a Starbucks mug.
    • Beduffshirl
    • By Beduffshirl 7th Jun 06, 10:30 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Beduffshirl
    So how much is a short ?
    • jrc
    • By jrc 7th Jun 06, 1:14 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    jrc
    Whenever I go to Starbucks with my 16-month old daughter I ask for a free babyccino (pronounced Baby Chino). This is an espresso-size cup of milk froth which she loves as she is having a Starbucks, too and I love cos it's free! Cafe Nero does them too.
    • lbt01
    • By lbt01 7th Jun 06, 2:56 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    lbt01
    So how much is a short ?
    by Beduffshirl
    I asked for a Short for the first time today and it was 20p cheaper than the Tall.
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 7th Jun 06, 3:16 PM
    • 16,509 Posts
    • 12,631 Thanks
    hollydays
    I am a bad customer.Sometimes if i have paperwork to do when I am in a City,i go in there,several of them have a second floor where there are no staff and lots of comfy armchairs,an peace and quiet. I just sit down,without making a purchase.However i have been a regular-ish customer so i dont feel too bad!Also,for any gardeners out there,they give away free bags of used coffee grounds (well,why wouldnt they!) which is supposedly very good for your garden.
    Last edited by hollydays; 07-06-2006 at 3:20 PM.
  • shammy84
    I work in starbucks and (at least in my store) the short cup is no secret.
    We are happy to give anyone a hot drink in a short.

Someone mentioned frappucino's in a short cup - this is difficult, as there is a particular ratio of ice/base/syrup that is measured out as we make them

It's true any hot drink can be made in a short size - you just get less!!! A short cup is only 8oz, whereas a tall is 12oz (grande is 16oz and venti 20oz) so for around 20p extra, you get 50% more!
  • troshy
    but dont tall and short cappuccinos both contain the same amount of espresso, so you are paying for a weaker coffee?
  • Dead_Eye_Jones
    but dont tall and short cappuccinos both contain the same amount of espresso, so you are paying for a weaker coffee?
    by troshy

Erm... dur... yes thats the whole point. If you like it strong, just get a straight shot. If you like it weak you pay for extra milk. Isnt that blindingly obvious.
  • shammy84
    yeah troshy, a tall would technically be a weaker coffee as there is one shot of espresso in both.

The tall is considered the standard size as it what most people buy. The short was originally meant for kids hot chocolate.

You could always add more shots of espresso to make it stronger. and offset it by bringing in your own cup to save 10p
    • jap200
    • By jap200 7th Jun 06, 4:57 PM
    • 2,001 Posts
    • 3,407 Thanks
    jap200
    Erm... dur... yes thats the whole point. If you like it strong, just get a straight shot. If you like it weak you pay for extra milk. Isnt that blindingly obvious.
    by Dead_Eye_Jones
    I think that your response to a straightforward question here is extremely rude. I do not think it is obvious at all. I assume (like a lot of others I am sure) that a larger size cup of coffee will be exactly that a larger size cup of the same strength coffee - not a watered/milked down one.

There are clear statements on this website that there is no such thing as a silly question - so your response is totally out of place!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,161Posts Today

8,958Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin