Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 10th Nov 09, 3:53 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    Great 'Your fave sub-5 wines' Hunt
    • 10th Nov 09, 3:53 PM
    Great 'Your fave sub-5 wines' Hunt 10th Nov 09 at 3:53 PM
    As long as you know where to look, you can get some cracking wines for under a fiver. To help sort the stonkers from the stinkers, we MoneySavers to name their favourite sub-£5 plonks. You don’t need to be a conniseur, just let us know which vinos hit the spot.

Please include:

Name of the wine
    Year
    Price
    Where to buy
    Why you like it

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 17-11-2009 at 7:20 PM.
Page 1
  • Rela
    • 10th Nov 09, 6:22 PM
    • 10th Nov 09, 6:22 PM
    Ooooh, my kind of thead!!! I'll be here all day LOL.

Red from NZ.

Name of the wine: Montana Cabernet Merlot
    Year: No idea.
    Price: Its usually around the 6 quid mark but if you shop around you can get it for a fiver.
    Where to buy: Tesco usually have it on offer
    Why you like it: Very dark, fruity, and no harsh tannins.

And I usually dislike american wine, but:

Name of the wine: E&J Gallo Ruby Cabernet
    Year: No idea
    Price: Around the 4.30ish mark
    Where to buy: Everywhere
    Why you like it: Tastes just how you naively think red wine should taste when you're younger, like alcoholic ribena. LOL. My friend who can't stand wine will drink this quite happily...not sure if thats good or bad.

Spanish Red:
    Name of the wine: Campo Viejo Rioja
    Year: 2006 (I think)
    Price: Around 5
    Where to buy: Anywhere
    Why you like it: Thick and fruity and is just delicious.

Italian White:
    Name of the wine: Il Cortiagano Pinot Grigio
    Year: No idea (must start noticing this).
    Price: 4.50ish
    Where to buy: Only seen it in Sainsburys so far.
    Why you like it: I'm not really one for white wine but this is just right, dry without being harsh on your throat, buttery and crisp. Delicious!

I'm going to stop now before I look like an alchy (honestly I'm 10 years in the pub trade and like my wine...LOL).
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 13-11-2009 at 4:31 PM.
  • babs2008
    • 10th Nov 09, 9:13 PM
    • 10th Nov 09, 9:13 PM
    Name of the wine: Argentine Malbec - San Juan - Coop Select
    Year: Doesn't say
    Price: 4.29
    Where to buy: Co-operative Foods
    Why you like it: Easy drinking and tasty.
    Looking forward to the future.
    • milliemonster
    • By milliemonster 10th Nov 09, 9:47 PM
    • 3,616 Posts
    • 6,265 Thanks
    milliemonster
    • 10th Nov 09, 9:47 PM
    • 10th Nov 09, 9:47 PM
    Name of the wine Zinfandel
    Year dunno!
    Price 3 - 3.79, it's on offer at 3 quite often
    Where to buy Lidl
    Why you like it they do a rose and white version and I love them both, great for chilling out with a glass after a stressful day
    Aug GC 63.23/200, Total Savings 0
  • Zandee
    • 11th Nov 09, 1:37 AM
    • 11th Nov 09, 1:37 AM
    Does mulled wine count?

Ikea, 1.50 a bottle. (Not sure of the usual price but it's reduced to 1.50 now).

It's really tasty but very, very sweet, i'm not much of a wine drinker but i like this, you can really taste the cinnamon.
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 13-11-2009 at 4:33 PM.
    • johncaduk
    • By johncaduk 11th Nov 09, 1:51 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 391 Thanks
    johncaduk
    • 11th Nov 09, 1:51 AM
    • 11th Nov 09, 1:51 AM
    My fave's a jubbly Spanish red/white from Tesco's bottom shelf called Marques de Leon, at 2.87 for 70cl (plus 4 Clubcard points per bottle) Although it's probably the cheapest plonk on there shelves, I've never had a bum bottle in 3 years of use (with the occasional day off.Lol)

REMEMBER: WORK TO LIVE _ NOT LIVE TO WORK!
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 13-11-2009 at 4:29 PM.
  • competitionscafe
    • 11th Nov 09, 1:56 AM
    • 11th Nov 09, 1:56 AM
    Most of my favourites are around 5.99 unless on offer so will have to go for these two, a cheap French red and an Italian white (my 2 favourite Old World wine countries):

Name of the wine: Classic Ctes du Rhne
    Year: 2008
    Price: 3.99 (bargain!)
    Where to buy: Waitrose
    Why you like it: Nice fruity, easy drinking red.

Name of the wine: Verdicchio di Castelli Classico
    Price: 4.99
    Where to buy: Waitrose
    Why you like it: Nice citrusy dry white to drink with fish or chicken.
    "The happiest of people don't necessarily have the
    best of everything; they just make the best
    of everything that comes along their way."
    -- Author Unknown --
    • bassray
    • By bassray 11th Nov 09, 8:08 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    bassray
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:08 AM
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:08 AM
    Wolfblass Yellow Label - superb Australian white (Chardonnay) and red (Cab.Sauv) wines.
    Usually 8.99 each, on offer at Morrisons currently for 3.99!
    Bargain or what!
  • Martin Walters
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:15 AM
    Sub 5 wines
    • 11th Nov 09, 8:15 AM
    Wine: Latitude 35 South Cabernet Sauvignon - Merlot
    Price: 3.99 on offer at moment (was around 7 to 8)
    Where? Sainsbury
    I generally like Merlot and this is a soft, easy drinking red. Great for Late Autumn evenings. Please leave some for me.:rolleyes:
  • Ihatebanks
    My current fav is the South African brand Stormhoek, priced at 4.99 for the Pinotage or the Cabernet Sauvigon. The Pinotage is currently on sale in Tesco at 3.99, and this brand is currently well promoted so the special prices tend to crop up quite frequently.
  • scubadiver
    Wine: First Cape (South African)..... Red & Merlot (they do a white as well)
    Year: ?????
    Price: 3 for 10 (normally about 6 a bottle)
    Where: Tesco's on special (or Asda)

Wine: Isla Negra (Chilean)..... Merlot & Cabernet Sauvigon
    Year: ?????
    Price: 3 for 10 (normally about 7 a bottle)
    Where: Tesco's on special (or Asda)

First Cape & Isla Negra are very sloshable and at 3 for 10 quid you can't go wrong!!
  • greenalien
    Cava is much better value than Champagne
    For cheap fizz, Spanish Cava is much better value than Champagne, and often tastes better as well. Tesco's Cava Rose is particularly good value at under 4 per bottle.
    • yorica
    • By yorica 11th Nov 09, 9:32 AM
    • 199 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    yorica
    I find this website absolutely invaluable for buying inexpensive highly rated wines.

http://www.supermarketwine.com/
    • kingbing
    • By kingbing 11th Nov 09, 9:50 AM
    • 8 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    kingbing
    Most of the BOGOF and half price deals are just a con. The wines were never worth 7.99, or whatever. Frankly they're barely worth half that.

One exception is Torres Vina Sol. While normal retail price is around the 6 mark, it can be had for 4.50 or so. Vina Sol is so much better than virtually any other white wine in it's price range, that it's embarrassing. I know a few people who drink very expensive wines (>50) regularly, but who revert to Vina Sol as a mid-week easy going white.
  • Miss_L
    Lovely drinkable red
    Wine: Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon
    Price: 4.71
    Where: Tesco (Special offer at the moment) also often on offer in Sainsbury's
  • Plaitey
    Wine: Gran Tresor from Spain
    Year: ??
    Price: 3.54 from Tesco
    Excellent red wine at a bargain price!! Nicer than some Rioja's. Also been mentioned in Good Food magazine.
    DMP May 08 - 27,000 approx! Debt free 2024!!
  • Shingleberg
    Perfect Rose
    My partner and I are really into Rose at the moment, and our favourite one is also one of the cheapest around! Apparently it's won quite a few awards, but I imagine lots of people are put off by the bottle and the price...

Tesco's own Portugese Rose (it has no other name on the label) - 2.98 a bottle.
    It comes in a Matteus-shaped bottle, with a really cheap looking flowery label.

We have tried MANY different Roses, but keep going back to this one after disappointing bottles which cost two or three times the price.

Try it!
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 13-11-2009 at 4:32 PM.
  • sillywilly
    I read an article about cheap wine recently. A wine that is being sold by the supermarkets at 5 a bottle - discounted or not i.e BOGOF or half price etc - actually costs the manufacturer 50p to make.

All the other costs are duty - VERY high, transport, marketing, packaging and of course a profit to the end seller - the supermarket.

I agree with others that the initial price - say 8.99 down to 3.99 is a load of BS.

Most of the bars near us sell a large glass of wine for 5 + when you know you can get 3 BOTTLES for a tenner that are just as good it shows what a racket alcohol sales are.
  • istan99
    good wines
    We tend to like a good sauvignon blanc and the best one we currently find is:

wine: Nederberg Reserve Sauv. blanc
    Price: 4.00
    Where: Asda

this wine is currently down from 6.79 to 4.00. it recently won a silver medal in the wine challenge for 2009 and is a great, fruity, light white, not too gooseberry or grassy.
  • Isaactheork
    I find that most of the wine at Netto is under a fiver and although I'm no wine buff they are all pretty good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,640Posts Today

9,611Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin