Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Nov 09, 11:24 AM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    • 6th Nov 09, 11:24 AM
    • 6th Nov 09, 11:24 AM
    I'm a bit like that too!

My compulsion is dented tins of food....my kitchen is like a quartermaster's stores! The cupboards are bulging with what were previously countless tins of tomatoes/beans/pulses...but the other week I made up an inventory, printed it out and stuck it to the fridge and tick off when I use anything up in the (vain) hope that it'll stop me buying more each time I'm in a supermarket!
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • Zazen999
    • By Zazen999 6th Nov 09, 11:28 AM
    • 5,915 Posts
    • 9,151 Thanks
    Zazen999
    • 6th Nov 09, 11:28 AM
    • 6th Nov 09, 11:28 AM
    Non-empty containers; and making sure I use every last drop before I open the next one. Liquid based mostly. Washing up Liquid is the main one [the OH will try to throw it away with 1/4 inch of WUL still in it ]
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 6th Nov 09, 12:21 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:21 PM
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:21 PM
    Mine isn't a buying compulsion- it's making shopping lists.

My weekly shopping list takes nearly a whole week to make. I shop on Monday but by Wednesday I'm starting to make the next week's list. I continue to revise and refine it through the week until Monday morning. I also go online to do a virtual shop to see how much I'm going to end up spending. I get through loads of notepads.
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 6th Nov 09, 12:29 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:29 PM
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:29 PM
    Mine isn't a buying compulsion
    Originally posted by thriftlady
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • Mrs Thrify
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:34 PM
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:34 PM
    Oh.... I am sure I have many...my latest is to look and see if we have an item or something we can make do with instead of spending hard earned cash.
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
  • funkymonkey849
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:43 PM
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:43 PM
    Stashing yarn and fabric!
    • Outdoorlass
    • By Outdoorlass 6th Nov 09, 12:45 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 1,127 Thanks
    Outdoorlass
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:45 PM
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:45 PM
    This forum
    grocery challenge Sept 2012 21/399
  • funkymonkey849
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:46 PM
    • 6th Nov 09, 12:46 PM

My weekly shopping list takes nearly a whole week to make. I shop on Monday but by Wednesday I'm starting to make the next week's list. I continue to revise and refine it through the week until Monday morning. I also go online to do a virtual shop to see how much I'm going to end up spending. I get through loads of notepads.
    Oh my goodness, me too! I don't do a virtual shop as such, but I do go onto tesco online to check all the prices and deals! The mealplan and subsequent list is written on the computer and gets revised over the week until the FINAL COPY is hand written.

Means I can nip round tesco in a flash I'm like a blur through the aisles
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 6th Nov 09, 2:00 PM
    • 8,402 Posts
    • 29,526 Thanks
    Primrose
    Washing plastic freezer bags, hanging them on the washing line to dry and re-using.
    Cutting up used white envelopes into little squares to refill our little notelet box.
  • louboutingirl
    Oh my goodness, me too! I don't do a virtual shop as such, but I do go onto tesco online to check all the prices and deals! The mealplan and subsequent list is written on the computer and gets revised over the week until the FINAL COPY is hand written.

Means I can nip round tesco in a flash I'm like a blur through the aisles
    Originally posted by funkymonkey849
    I do this too!

I go onto mysupermarket.com and check all the offers in Tesco and Sainsburys (as both are within 10 mins of me) Then I do my list and write down what I'm getting where AND how much it is. I will always go to Aldi first (about 100m from Sainsburys) though as they often have many things a bit cheaper and will compare their price to the Tesco/Sainsburys one. If cheaper it comes from Aldi and then the price written in little book so I know to go there for XYorZ.

I spend ages doing the shopping list and meals can often change a couple of times while I'm checking out the offers etc... on MySupermarket! It is an obsession and its means the shop usually takes me about an hour and half beacuse I'm always checking, adding up on calculator, and writing prices!

I'm so glad it's not just me though!!
  • Dizzyduck
    Fabric softner and liquid- have a number of bottles under sink from special offers and BOGOF at Marks & Spencer. I know it'll get used but even 4 bottles of each is excessive. Mind you if I spot another special offer will I be able to resist? Probably not!
    • La-Cara
    • By La-Cara 6th Nov 09, 2:58 PM
    • 909 Posts
    • 8,332 Thanks
    La-Cara
    buying LOADS of cheap veg when it's on offer! bought heaps of carrots, onions, potatoes, leeks, parsnips etc this last couple of weeks. I'm slowly working my way through it but I'm sure it'll last me until the end of the year (that was the idea anyway!)

• funkymonkey849
    I do this too!

I go onto mysupermarket.com and check all the offers in Tesco and Sainsburys (as both are within 10 mins of me) Then I do my list and write down what I'm getting where AND how much it is. I will always go to Aldi first (about 100m from Sainsburys) though as they often have many things a bit cheaper and will compare their price to the Tesco/Sainsburys one. If cheaper it comes from Aldi and then the price written in little book so I know to go there for XYorZ.

I spend ages doing the shopping list and meals can often change a couple of times while I'm checking out the offers etc... on MySupermarket! It is an obsession and its means the shop usually takes me about an hour and half beacuse I'm always checking, adding up on calculator, and writing prices!

I'm so glad it's not just me though!!
    Originally posted by louboutingirl
    LOL! No it's not just you! I'm going to Aldi tonight before tesco to get the cheap stuff from there, then on to tesco with my list (items listed by location no less!)

I think there is a thin line between OS and madness!
  • dumpy
    Fabric softner and liquid- have a number of bottles under sink from special offers and BOGOF at Marks & Spencer. I know it'll get used but even 4 bottles of each is excessive. Mind you if I spot another special offer will I be able to resist? Probably not!
    Originally posted by Dizzyduck
    Snap! There was a really good offer on some washing stuff about 2 years ago I think in Morrisons, much reduced and with a 50p voucher off the new style packet.

At one point I think I had 15 bottles of the stuff. Just about using the last of it now...

And loo rolls... I'm down to my last 48, I'll have to look for a new offer. (I live alone as well... my relatives think I'm bonkers )
  • anguk
    *cough* cookery books *cough*
    • Rummer
    • By Rummer 6th Nov 09, 4:21 PM
    • 6,427 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    Rummer
    Carbohydrates. I always figure if I have loads of them filling the freezer and the cupboards then we may get bored but will not go hungry!
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 6th Nov 09, 5:29 PM
    • 3,938 Posts
    • 7,340 Thanks
    culpepper
    Saving all the little plastic tubs from marg,spreads etc. WE do use them but it can get to the point of forcing myself to throw them away unwashed otherwise I just have to put them away and they avalanche out of cupboards and take up shelf space.
  • Olliebeak
    I can see myself in so many of your posts .

- Whoopsie-hunting is one of my worst/best - I can actually sense a yellow sticker in the next aisle .
    - Washing out freezer bags.
    - Washing out margarine tubs AND stacking them neatly in one of the bottom cupboards - nearly kills me to throw one out :rolleyes:.
    - Asking all my 'gardener neighbours' if they can use any packaging trays for growing seedlings in.
    - Freezing anything/everything I can get my hands on. Eg DS2 arrives with dgs3, opens a tin of soup and uses half to feed him with - I grab the remainder, put it in a small freezer tub and into the freezer - he'll be grateful one day when he arrives with no dinner for him .
    - Watering down semi-skimmed milk to make skimmed :rolleyes:.
    - Putting the plug in the bath while I'm showering so that my feet get a good soaking at the same time - saves using a separate bowl of water.
    - Using up OH's toothpaste when he buys a new tube because he buys the expensive stuff and leaves lots in the old tube .
    - Flattening the toilet roll tube so the dgk's can't pull loads off the roll without me hearing them do it .
    - Hanging onto Christmas Cards/Wrapping Paper from one year to the next. Rolls of wrapping paper are stashed down the side of the wardrobes and Christmas Cards are in those boxes that hold reams of printer paper. Also making gift tags out of the Christmas Cards each year .
    - Have had a 'gold theme' for Christmas for the past 15years or so - saves having to keep buying new deccies - just get a few new ones each year.
    - Lists - shopping lists, reminder lists, freezer lists, present lists et al.
    - Fabric/Wool stashes - very embarassing. We have an amazing remnants shop in Liverpool that I'm addicted to - I frequently go in there and forget to come back out again .
    - Cookery books in Charity Shops.
    • nopot2pin
    • By nopot2pin 6th Nov 09, 6:18 PM
    • 5,641 Posts
    • 21,239 Thanks
    nopot2pin
    I think there is a thin line between OS and madness!
    Originally posted by funkymonkey849
    I think I need a satnav to find the line !!!
    Although, I am not sure which direction I am coming FROM:rolleyes:

*cough* cookery books *cough*
    Originally posted by anguk

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,133Posts Today

8,989Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin