Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • troll35
    • By troll35 31st May 06, 9:29 PM
    • 692Posts
    • 787Thanks
    troll35
    World Cup Cooking
    • 31st May 06, 9:29 PM
    World Cup Cooking 31st May 06 at 9:29 PM
    We at the house of trolls have decided that during the world cup we will try to cook some traditional food from the various nations - every day a different country. I'm am now busy searching for recipes that will appeal to both adults and children (DS can be quite fussy - likes plain food).

We have the Usborne children's world cookbook, but there are lots of nations that don't appear in it. I will be doing internet searches but I'm sure there are MSeers out there with recipes for traditional foods from Toga and all the other nations

Thanks for your help
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land
Page 1
    • Katgoddess
    • By Katgoddess 31st May 06, 9:40 PM
    • 1,797 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Katgoddess
    • 31st May 06, 9:40 PM
    • 31st May 06, 9:40 PM
    Morrisons have put together a website that has recipes from some of the countries.

http://www.morrisonsfootball.co.uk/food-drink/recipes/

I'm not impressed with their burger recipe though....

Ingredients

* The Best 1/4 lb beef burgers
    * 4 sesame seed burger buns
    * 1 onion (peeled and sliced)
    * 1 tomato (washed and sliced)
    * Mustard
    * Tomato ketchup
    "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
    • nick_b
    • By nick_b 31st May 06, 10:51 PM
    • 217 Posts
    • 168 Thanks
    nick_b
    • 31st May 06, 10:51 PM
    • 31st May 06, 10:51 PM
    recipes for traditional foods from Toga
    by troll35
    Do you mean Togo?
  • bargainqueen
    • 1st Jun 06, 6:46 AM
    • 1st Jun 06, 6:46 AM
    wicked german recipe (can be adaptd to suit fussy eaters)Hausfrauen Pastete (Housewife's Pasty)Roll out some sheets of puff pastry to make a huge roundish shape. Chop up salami, ham, apples, tomato, cheese into smallish cubes. Get some dried parsley, oregano and salt and pepper. On the puffpastry sheet, spread a layer of apples, then salami, then tomato, then some parsley, ham, oregano, and cheese, followed by more apple, salami, herbs, tomato etc etc until it is all in one big pile. Fold the pastry around the sides and gather at the top, press together well and wih a brush put on some eggyolk and milk mix. Shove in a pre-heated oven at 200C and bake for 45 minutes or until pastry turns goldenbrown.You can always make small individual ones ommitting the stuff the kids don't like.Truly delicious and my mum, a real german hausfrau, used to make it all the time!
    Three years, six months, three weeks, 13 hours, 48 minutes and 30 seconds. 26011 cigarettes not smoked, saving $11,704.80. Life saved: 12 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 35 minutes.
    • troll35
    • By troll35 1st Jun 06, 9:15 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    troll35
    • 1st Jun 06, 9:15 PM
    • 1st Jun 06, 9:15 PM
    nick_b - that explains why I got lots of sites on having a roman toga party when I googled it.

bargainqueen - that sounds delish. Congrats on giving up smoking- well done you

My aim is to try some of the cuisine of the not so well visited countries. I'm not into football but I am into cooking so if I'm going to be alienated from my front room I thought I'd do something useful and enjoyable.
    • maxamos
    • By maxamos 2nd Jun 06, 6:30 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 334 Thanks
    maxamos
    • 2nd Jun 06, 6:30 AM
    • 2nd Jun 06, 6:30 AM
    I found this link for a couple of recipes from Togo

http://www.fairtradecookbook.org.uk/countries/togo.htm

HTH
  • puffinmuffin
    • 2nd Jun 06, 12:00 PM
    • 2nd Jun 06, 12:00 PM
    I have a suggestion for the Netherlands. You can do Dutch style pancakes, you can pretty much put anything in them. The most traditional filling is bacan and syrup (a lot nicer than it sounds) but they have a huge variety of sweet and savoury fillings and are fun to make.
    • troll35
    • By troll35 2nd Jun 06, 9:58 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    troll35
    • 2nd Jun 06, 9:58 PM
    • 2nd Jun 06, 9:58 PM
    Maxamos -thank you. The fairtrade recipes are great. I found recipes for most countries so we'll be having a really multinational menu.
    • stressedoutmumof1
    • By stressedoutmumof1 3rd Jun 06, 7:57 AM
    • 1,391 Posts
    • 10,130 Thanks
    stressedoutmumof1
    • 3rd Jun 06, 7:57 AM
    • 3rd Jun 06, 7:57 AM
    Troll35 - you'll have to let us know your "meal plan" so we can all play
    Squares knitted for my throw ~ 68 (only 22 to go )
    Squares made for my patchwork quilt ~ 37 (only 43 to go )
    Grocery Challenge October £750
    • troll35
    • By troll35 4th Jun 06, 9:40 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    troll35
    Right here goes. Here is the menu for the first week

Friday 09/06 - Germany - Lebkuchen - spicy biscuits that I will make with the kids.
    Saturday 10/06 - Sweden - Jannsen's temptation- a potato dish
    Sunday 11/06 - Holland - Poffertjes -little pancakes with various toppings.
    Monday 12/06 - Italy - Pizza
    Tuesday 13/06 - Switzerland -Raclette another potato dish
    Wednesday 14/06 - Spain - Ranchero- a meat stew
    Thursday 15/06 - Costa Rica - Black Bean Soup (can't find the link but if anyone wants the recipe I'll post it)
    Friday 16/06 - Mexico - Chilli con Carne
    Saturday 17/06 - Portugal - Caldo Verde
    Sunday 18/06 weather dependent - hot and sunny Australian bbq. Wet and miserable France, boeff bourgignon.

Hope this inspires you
  • Yikes
    Off the top o' me head, I'd suggest putting the emphasis on dessert/sweets recipes, to get around the "fussy eater" syndrome...
    • whistler-alison
    • By whistler-alison 5th Jun 06, 4:06 PM
    • 284 Posts
    • 117 Thanks
    whistler-alison
    mmmm - raclette. It's delicious. Don't know if you know this already but serve the cheesy potatoes with pickles and salami and continental ham (the recipe you linked to doesn't mention it). Use emmantal cheese if you cannot get raclette (waitrose sell raclette).
    • ziggy2004
    • By ziggy2004 5th Jun 06, 4:22 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    ziggy2004
    I have a suggestion for the Netherlands. You can do Dutch style pancakes, you can pretty much put anything in them. The most traditional filling is bacan and syrup (a lot nicer than it sounds) but they have a huge variety of sweet and savoury fillings and are fun to make.
    by puffinmuffin

mmm these are great but you have to use streaky bacon for best result. It is a shame you can't get proper pancake sirup here but maple sirup does nicely. Poffertjes are great too but a lot of work especially if you don't have a special pan.

Other great dutch recipes are pea and ham soup and hutspot ( mash with carrots and onions) this is great with smoked sausage. I also have agreat dutch appelpie recipe which i will translate from dutch if needed.

Because of course there will be a need to eat dutch food for a long time into the tournament ( me hopes anyway)
    X Anne
  • puffinmuffin
    [QUOTE=ziggy2004]mmm these are great but you have to use streaky bacon for best result. It is a shame you can't get proper pancake sirup here but maple sirup does nicely. Poffertjes are great too but a lot of work especially if you don't have a special pan.

My Dutch boyfriend doesn't think maple syrup does the job and we have to import the real stuff every time we go to holland!
    I agree that the poffertjes might be difficult but fun to try!
    • ziggy2004
    • By ziggy2004 6th Jun 06, 8:24 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    ziggy2004
    [QUOTE=puffinmuffin]
    mmm these are great but you have to use streaky bacon for best result. It is a shame you can't get proper pancake sirup here but maple sirup does nicely. Poffertjes are great too but a lot of work especially if you don't have a special pan.

My Dutch boyfriend doesn't think maple syrup does the job and we have to import the real stuff every time we go to holland!
    I agree that the poffertjes might be difficult but fun to try!
    by ziggy2004
    lol i do agree with him but have not been able to take the car over last time we went so did not get to take alot of stuff
    • troll35
    • By troll35 6th Jun 06, 12:58 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    troll35
    Have to admit that I thought poffertjes were just small pancakes (a bit like scotch pancakes or drop scones) until your posts ziggy & puffinmuffin. I think I'll do an adaptation

I like yikes' idea of desserts/cakes etc for fussy eaters but it won't do mine or DH's waistlines any good plus I want to encourage the fussy one to be a bit more adventurous.
    • dbs
    • By dbs 7th Jun 06, 10:57 PM
    • 465 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    dbs
    I know this is not cooking but I am off to Aldi or Lidl to pick up some Bratwurst sausages to eat hotdog style with some mild mustard and ketchup just to remind me when I toured around Germany on a low budget when I was a lot younger just hope the kids like them aswell.
    • Crispy Ambulance
    • By Crispy Ambulance 8th Jun 06, 9:03 AM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,163 Thanks
    Crispy Ambulance
    I love this idea and the family Crispy are very keen too. To get in the mood we had enchiladas last night (Mexico) and are planning an australian stylee barbie on Friday night.

Any chance of the recipe for black bean soup?
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
  • jojobee
    Right here goes. Here is the menu for the first week

Friday 09/06 - Germany - Lebkuchen - spicy biscuits that I will make with the kids.
    Saturday 10/06 - Sweden - Jannsen's temptation- a potato dish
    Sunday 11/06 - Holland - Poffertjes -little pancakes with various toppings.
    Monday 12/06 - Italy - Pizza
    Tuesday 13/06 - Switzerland -Raclette another potato dish
    Wednesday 14/06 - Spain - Ranchero- a meat stew
    Thursday 15/06 - Costa Rica - Black Bean Soup (can't find the link but if anyone wants the recipe I'll post it)
    Friday 16/06 - Mexico - Chilli con Carne
    Saturday 17/06 - Portugal - Caldo Verde
    Sunday 18/06 weather dependent - hot and sunny Australian bbq. Wet and miserable France, boeff bourgignon.

Hope this inspires you
    by troll35
    Fantastic! what a genius idea! I'm gonna see if i can get my girls to eat some new stuff! (if they can tear themselves away from the footie that is!) i'd love the black bean soup recipe if you've still got it mate! cheers! Jo.xx
    Jojo :rolleyes:
    • troll35
    • By troll35 8th Jun 06, 9:42 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    troll35
    Costa Rican Style Sopa Negra Recipe (Black Bean Soup)

1 lb (450 gr.) Black beans. Fresh are best but most likely you’ll find them dried. (I'm going to use tinned)
    8 cups (700 ml) chicken broth or water or a mix
    ½ teaspoon (2.5 ml) salt
    1 Tablespoon (15 ml) vegetable oil
    salt and black pepper to taste
    6 eggs

Finely chop
    10-12 sprigs cilantro (coriander leaf) fresh or frozen, not dried!
    1 small or medium onion
    2 cloves garlic
    1 small green, red, or yellow sweet pepper

If beans are dried, cover with water and soak overnight, if they are fresh, just rise them off. Drain the beans and add water or chicken broth, salt, and half of the chopped ingredients. bring to a boil. Cover the pan and reduce heat to very low simmer until beans are nearly soft (~ 2½ hours). Add the rest of the chopped ingredients, and vegetable oil, and cook an additional ½ hour. Add eggs for the final 2-4 minutes (depending on how you like your eggs cooked). Remove about half the beans and reserve for gallo pinto or to mash and refry (you can leave all the beans in but typically some are removed).

Remove the eggs, peel and place one or two in each bowl before serving with warm corn tortillas.

I can't remember which website I got this from . I did a search on costa rican recipes. It sounds like it should taste great
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,901Posts Today

7,455Users online

Martin's Twitter