Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 30th May 06, 4:00 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 30th May 06, 4:00 PM
    • 30th May 06, 4:00 PM
    Ive reheated cooked duck before , ive also frozen it, and then reheated it once thawed. Mind you, i do love a cold duck sandwich with pickled onions!!!!
  • Kazonline
    • 30th May 06, 4:52 PM
    • 30th May 06, 4:52 PM
    I'd guess that reheating duck is the same as for most poultry - as long as you get it really hot it should be ok. I'm sure that I've seen a few microwave duck portions too - similar to what you say, glazed in marmalade. I'm not sure you'll get the crispy skin again though - unless maybe heated in the oven? Quite an expensive way to do it though!!!
    Wish I was at yours for my tea nonetheless - I love duck!!
    Kaz x
  • Don'tskipit
    • 30th May 06, 4:55 PM
    • 30th May 06, 4:55 PM
    Ta catowen.

Was thinking about eating half tonight and freezinig other half, but your suggestion of duck butties and pickled onions sounds brill. Will reheat half tonight, and have duck and pickle tomorrow.

I'm really hungry now but have loads to do outside - watering in greenhouses.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply
    A smile, a 'please' and a 'thank you' cost nothing

• Wizwoo
    • By Wizwoo 28th Dec 06, 2:07 PM
    • 669 Posts
    • 184 Thanks
    Wizwoo
    • 28th Dec 06, 2:07 PM
    Can I freeze roasted duck?
    • 28th Dec 06, 2:07 PM
    I have some roasted duck - can I freeze it as it is? Plus can anyone suggest any recipes I could used it in that could then be frozen?

Thanks,
    Wwoo
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Dec 06, 2:12 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 28th Dec 06, 2:12 PM
    • 28th Dec 06, 2:12 PM
    Yes, you can. Treat it like leftover roast chicken. I've frozen some roast goose, it's going to be a pie. What about a duck pie, or curry ?
    • bltchef
    • By bltchef 28th Dec 06, 3:04 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    bltchef
    • 28th Dec 06, 3:04 PM
    • 28th Dec 06, 3:04 PM
    yes you could make duck and pineapple curry use a jar sauce to bulk it put add some sweet potaoes or anything chinese or stiry fry
    • Queen.Bess
    • By Queen.Bess 30th Apr 07, 7:16 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Queen.Bess
    • 30th Apr 07, 7:16 PM
    Ideas for a Duck?!
    • 30th Apr 07, 7:16 PM
    Yesterday, I was given a 2.5kg frozen roasting duck! A very pleasant surprise, but it's quite big and there's only me in our 2 person household who will eat it! So I'm wondering what I can do with it! I intend to cook it whole tomorrow and then hopefully freeze most of the cooked meat (can that be done?). I bought a jar of plum sauce and a pack of the proper restaurant pancakes today (just need some spring onions!) and, apart from using up leftover flour tortillas from our next mexican evening meal, I can't think of any other way of eating the duck.

Ideas please!
    Official DFW Nerd Club #20 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts DFW Long Hauler #109

Slowly, Slowly = Oct '09: 30693, Aug '15: 14820. Could Be Debt Free April 2020, but hoping for sooner!
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 30th Apr 07, 7:43 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    • 30th Apr 07, 7:43 PM
    • 30th Apr 07, 7:43 PM
    Hi, Bess! You could always invite me round and we'll share it - I love duck

Failing that, roast it, and you'll find that you don't get as much meat from a duck as you think - nowhere near as much as from a similar sized chicken. I follow Delia's method (high to start, then long and slow). Great with roast potatoes and salad or veg.

The rest can be shredded and frozen for pancakes later.

You'll get a lot of fat which is second only to goose for roast potatoes. It'll keep in the fridge for ages, or you can freeze.

Finally, the carcase will make a delicious dark stock -excellent as a base for onion soup.

HTH, Penny. x
    Last edited by Penelope Penguin; 30-04-2007 at 7:46 PM.
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
    • bltchef
    • By bltchef 30th Apr 07, 9:40 PM
    • 293 Posts
    • 166 Thanks
    bltchef
    roast your duck when cold pick all the meat off get a jar of fav curry sauce add some fresh pinapple and enjoy
  • Stephen Leak
    I cannot think of anything to add to PP's excellent post, except to say that, when roasting it, find some way of lifting it up off the bottom of the pan and away from all the fat you will get. ISTR a TV chef doing one on a bed of vegetables which, of course, roasted themselves in the fat.
    • shell2001
    • By shell2001 7th Aug 07, 1:09 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    Lots of duck - how to use up
    Hi

We had a trip to the chinese supermarket at the weekend and bought a 2kg bag of frozen crispy shreaded duck. We bought the hoi sin and packs of pancakes to go with it but......it wasnt till I got home I thought about defrosting it. We will have to take the whole pack out (unless we can saw the frozen block in half ). Now we are having HM chinese on Friday (kids away for weekend ) so will have duck and pancakes to start. I thought I would do a duck chow mein for us on Saturday but unsure what to do with the rest of it - anyone got any clever ideas.
    • katiekittykat
    • By katiekittykat 7th Aug 07, 1:24 PM
    • 9,507 Posts
    • 36,715 Thanks
    katiekittykat
    Ducks wraps and take them to work for lunches?

Or a duck stir fry?
    Friends are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • lil_me
    • By lil_me 7th Aug 07, 1:27 PM
    • 13,142 Posts
    • 115,691 Thanks
    lil_me
    In the chinese take away I used to work in they would hit the big frozen block of it with a hammer to take chunks off. Might be worth a try. Spring rolls? Another way I seen them get it apart but don't know if it would work for you, they'd put the end they wanted into a bag then into a bowl of warm water for a few minutes then cut it off, I can only pressume it helped as it defrosted that bit a little.
    Last edited by lil_me; 07-08-2007 at 1:29 PM.
    One day I might be more organised...........:confused:
    GC: 200
    Slinkies target 2018 - another 70lb off (half way to what the NHS says) so far 25lb
    • shell2001
    • By shell2001 7th Aug 07, 3:21 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    Thanks for that. Much as I love duck I think 2 kgs of the stuff over a weekend is a bit much lol. Will try the hitting it with a hammer trick.
    • sarahlouise210
    • By sarahlouise210 7th Aug 07, 3:24 PM
    • 3,163 Posts
    • 3,614 Thanks
    sarahlouise210
    out of interest ...how much was the 2kg bag ???? fancy a bag myself !!!
    I have had brain surgery - sorry if I am a little confused sometimes
    • Buffy the Vampire Bat
    • By Buffy the Vampire Bat 7th Aug 07, 3:37 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 4,622 Thanks
    Buffy the Vampire Bat
    out of interest ...how much was the 2kg bag ???? fancy a bag myself !!!
    Originally posted by sarahlouise210
    Me too! Yum
    DFW no.554 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    DAVID TENNANT CAN PROBE ME WITH HIS SONIC SCREWDRIVER ANYTIME...
    FLYING THE FLAG FOR THE CAMBRIDGE BOOTS TARTS
    • shell2001
    • By shell2001 7th Aug 07, 3:47 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    It was 6.50 - bargain I thought
  • misskool
    What I used to do when I forgot to freeze bite sized portions was cover the bag in a few clean supermarket bags and just throw it on the floor.

Chunks would fly off and you pick the right sizes that you like. Just be careful not to make holes in the floor otherwise good excuse for throwing something around.
    • tallyhoh
    • By tallyhoh 20th Apr 08, 10:36 PM
    • 2,195 Posts
    • 2,315 Thanks
    tallyhoh
    Meal with duck please
    I have a fairly large duck which I am hoping will do 2 meals for 3 of us.

I have already decided on making half of it into a curry, what about the other half? any ideas please?

Something quite simple due to the curry meal would be best.

Thanks in advance
    Tallyhoh!

Stopped Smoking October 2000. Saved 21,840 so far!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,059Posts Today

9,534Users online

Martin's Twitter