Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 27th May 06, 8:28 PM
    • 1,698Posts
    • 2,798Thanks
    Carmen
    Bananas and ice cream
    • 27th May 06, 8:28 PM
    Bananas and ice cream 27th May 06 at 8:28 PM
    Hello everyone, I would like to cook bananas and pineapple on the BBQ but...do not want the trouble ( save time) of cleaning of the meat residue first! If I cook them on foil over grill, will I get the same caramely flavour, and does anyone have a quick easy recipe to make them a little more interesting? I would also like to try and make my own ice cream, any nice recipes out there, do I need an ice cream maker?
    Many thanks
    Carmen x
Page 1
  • rainbowsox
    • 27th May 06, 9:44 PM
    • 27th May 06, 9:44 PM
    I just barbq the bananas in their skins and they are delish with cream, icecream, crystallised ginger and chopped nuts and / or chocolate flakes - it doesn't matter then if there's meaty bits still on the grill. The other thing i've done with varying degrees of success (depends how much vino has been consumed) is to flambe fruit in whatever spirits you have to hand (cointreau on banana / pineapple is good) - use a heavy bottomed pan and it can sit straight on the grill - again no need to clean grill first...hope that helps
  • Sallys Savings
    • 27th May 06, 10:11 PM
    • 27th May 06, 10:11 PM
    Hi Carmen,

A firm favourite with our friends at our bbqs are bananas with orange flavoured cream...and pina colada pineapple ....mmm they are delicious.

bananas with passionfruit/orange

4 bananas
    2 passion fruit
    4 tbsp organge juice
    4 tbsp orange flavoured liquer (optional)

Cream: 150 ml/5fl oz/2/3 cup double cream
    3 bsp icing sugar
    2 tbsp orange flavoured liquer (optional) we put in orange juice

1. peel the banas and place each one onto a sheet of kitchen foil.

2. cut the passion fruit in half and squeeze the juice of each half over each bana, spoon over the orange juice and liqueur (optional)

3. Fold th ekitchen foil over the otp of the banas to enclose the bananas completely.

4. barbecue over hot coals for about 10 minutes or until they are just tnede.r

5. to make the orange flavoured cream pour the double cream into a mixing bowl and sprinkle over the icing sugar. whisk the mixture until it is standing in soft peaks. carefully fold in the orange flavoured liquer (optional) or orange juice and leave to chill in the refridgerator until required.

6. transfer the foil parcel containing the bananas to warm, individual serving plates. open out the foil parcels and dollop a couple of spoons onto of the banana.

another favourite is:

Pina colada pineapple

1 pineapple
    50 g/1 3/4 oz unsalted butter
    25g/1oz light muscovado sugar
    50g/1 3/4 oz fresh coconut grated or desciccated (shredded) coconut
    2 tbsp coconut flavoured liqueur/rum

1. Cut the pineapple into quarters and then remove the tough core from the cnetre, leaving the leaves attache.d

2. cut the pineapple flesh away from teh skin. make horizontal cuts across the flesh of the pineapple quarters.

3. place th ebutter in a pan and heat gently until melted, stiring continuously. brush the melted butter over the pineapple and sprinkle with the sugar.

4. cover the pineapple leaves with kitchen foil and transfer them to a rack set over hot coats.

5. barbecue the pineapple for about 10 mins

6. sprinkle the coconut over the pinaapple and barbecue cust side up for a futher 5-10 minutes or until the pineapple is piping hot.

7. transfer the pineapple to srving plates and remove th efoil from the leaves. spoon a little coconut flavoured liquer or rum over the top (optional)

Hope you try and enjoy.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th May 06, 10:38 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 27th May 06, 10:38 PM
    • 27th May 06, 10:38 PM
    Hi Carmen,

My children brought home this 'recipe' from scout camp and it's turned into a family favourite at barbeques:

Split a banana (still in its skin) length wise in half, but don't cut the whole way through. Fill the centre of the banana with chocolate buttons and/or marshmallows. Wrap in tin foil and put them onto the barbeque for about 10 minutes or until the chocolate has melted. Open the tin foil and enjoy!

Pink
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 27th May 06, 10:43 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 24,069 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 27th May 06, 10:43 PM
    • 27th May 06, 10:43 PM
    just wanted to add that you may well notcie a fair bit of liquid come out of the banana..dont panic, this is normal
    know thyself

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • Sallys Savings
    • 27th May 06, 11:21 PM
    • 27th May 06, 11:21 PM
    mmmmmmmm reminds me of the banana and mars bar ..delicious..
    Just slit the banana and slot in chopped up mars bars pieces
    • Carmen
    • By Carmen 28th May 06, 11:27 AM
    • 1,698 Posts
    • 2,798 Thanks
    Carmen
    • 28th May 06, 11:27 AM
    • 28th May 06, 11:27 AM
    GAWD!! I feel a diet coming on...LOL!
    Thank you all.
    Carmen x
    • Miss Behaving
    • By Miss Behaving 28th May 06, 12:22 PM
    • 316 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Miss Behaving
    • 28th May 06, 12:22 PM
    • 28th May 06, 12:22 PM
    With regard to ice cream, I use this recipe- it's simple to make and doesn't need an ice cream maker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/vanillaicecream_4616.shtml

HTH
    Some people stir up a storm then wonder why it rains on them.

12k in 2015 #151 0/6000
    • sloppychops
    • By sloppychops 28th May 06, 1:55 PM
    • 6,631 Posts
    • 3,146 Thanks
    sloppychops
    • 28th May 06, 1:55 PM
    • 28th May 06, 1:55 PM
    Oh im going to try some of these they sound wonderful.The diet can wait till another day.
    "Life is not measured by the breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away."
  • helen81
    Hi,

If you have no vanilla pods can u use vanilla essence instead? How much would u use?

Helen x
    • Prudent
    • By Prudent 28th May 06, 6:58 PM
    • 11,237 Posts
    • 49,145 Thanks
    Prudent
    mmmmmmmm reminds me of the banana and mars bar ..delicious..
    Just slit the banana and slot in chopped up mars bars pieces
    by Sallys Savings
    This is sooo lovely. Of course to make it even worse you can add marshmallows as well. Glad its raining here or I would out barbequing and adding on the unwanted pounds.
    • Miss Behaving
    • By Miss Behaving 29th May 06, 10:32 AM
    • 316 Posts
    • 892 Thanks
    Miss Behaving
    Hi,

If you have no vanilla pods can u use vanilla essence instead? How much would u use?

Helen x
    by helen81
    If you're going to make the ice cream without vanilla pods, I'd suggest that you use a teaspoon of natural vanilla extract then taste the mixture - it's just a basic custard mix. You can then add more if you need to.

HTH
    Some people stir up a storm then wonder why it rains on them.

12k in 2015 #151 0/6000
    • luckylukey
    • By luckylukey 30th May 06, 1:56 PM
    • 287 Posts
    • 217 Thanks
    luckylukey
    but...do not want the trouble ( save time) of cleaning of the meat residue first!

a very easy way of cleaning a bbq grill is to take half an onion and rub it (using the bbq fork!) over the grill. Then take half a potato and do the same. Cleans off the main residue and you can cook your bananas !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,494Users online

Martin's Twitter