Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 25th Oct 09, 11:08 AM
    • 10,561Posts
    • 15,223Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Halloween goodies
    • 25th Oct 09, 11:08 AM
    Halloween goodies 25th Oct 09 at 11:08 AM

I have a small witch that visits me once a year , and in exchange for some goodies she makes sure I don't get any grief from witches for the rest of the year. :rolleyes:

Last year I tried to give her a nice big onion but she wasn't having any of it. :confused: The year before, I had nothing in the house. And I mean nothing. On her way back from terrorising the neighbourhood, she brought me stuff because she felt sorry for me.

So this year, I was thinking I might bake something - I should have enough time. Suggestions welcome - nothing too tricky please.

Cheers,
    MBE

P.S. They don't like onions, apparently.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 27-10-2009 at 4:59 PM.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
Page 1
    • Paulie'sGirl
    • By Paulie'sGirl 25th Oct 09, 11:18 AM
    • 917 Posts
    • 2,735 Thanks
    Paulie'sGirl
    • 25th Oct 09, 11:18 AM
    • 25th Oct 09, 11:18 AM
    Twinks hobnobs

PGxx
  • Reverbe
    • 25th Oct 09, 2:15 PM
    • 25th Oct 09, 2:15 PM
    I'm friends with many witchesand I don't know where this dont like onions thing comes from? I sense there is something you are not telling us in this post. Is it a neighbourhood child trick or treater?
    What Would Bill Buchanan Do?
    • angeltreats
    • By angeltreats 25th Oct 09, 2:29 PM
    • 2,268 Posts
    • 6,687 Thanks
    angeltreats
    • 25th Oct 09, 2:29 PM
    Make fairy cakes and melt white and milk chocolate and decorate them with cobwebs on top.

This is my first Halloween in this house and I've no idea if we'll get any visiting witches or wizards or ghosty things, I better be prepared just in case...
  • jessbrown100
    How about Mars Bar/ Rice Krispy cakes? Melt several large Mars Bars( low power in Microwave..stir every now and then), mix with Rice Krispys in a big bowl, flatten mixture into greased tin (we use a flat bottomed roasting tin or square cake tin). Melt some milk chocolate using the Microwave and pour over the top. Chill in fridge and cut into squares, wrap a couple of squares in cellophane, or make them in bun cases.

Sorry I can't put quantities on but we just sort of keep adding the Rice Krispies till the mixture is covered but not too sloppy. You could decorate them with Jelly spiders etc.

It's dead easy and scarily delish (Halloween puns fully intended lol)

• Claire Bear
    • By Claire Bear 25th Oct 09, 2:32 PM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 3,047 Thanks
    Claire Bear
    • 25th Oct 09, 2:32 PM
    I'd love to make some little cookies or something for our visiting scaries, but I'm not sure whether parent's would be ok with it? I've bought sweeties that are all wrapped individually because I know some people don't like the thought of unwrapped candies, I'm sure it'd probably be even worse with homemade treats. Or is it just me being paranoid?
    D'you know, in 900 years of space and time, I've never met anyone who wasn't important
    The Doctor

Taste The Rainbow
    • tori.k
    • By tori.k 25th Oct 09, 2:32 PM
    • 3,305 Posts
    • 8,743 Thanks
    tori.k
    www.annabelkarmel.com/.../stained-glass-window-biscuits

im going to have a go at these but cut them in the shape of pumkins, for the local monster's.

thank you for your cooking thread, it had hubby and me rolling when i came across it
  • skiTTish
    • 25th Oct 09, 2:34 PM
    • 25th Oct 09, 2:34 PM
    lol ,try picking up the Asda mag ,they had some recipes that would keep any witch happy
    Sounds to me like you have a witchy protection racket problem
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 25th Oct 09, 2:38 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 25th Oct 09, 2:38 PM
    • 25th Oct 09, 2:38 PM
    I'm friends with many witchesand I don't know where this dont like onions thing comes from? I sense there is something you are not telling us in this post. Is it a neighbourhood child trick or treater?
    Originally posted by Reverbe
    I think MrBE is joking

Like Jess I think some sort of chocolate krispie cakes would fit the bill as they are easy peasy to make and universally popular.
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 25th Oct 09, 7:51 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    I buy big bags of coloured popcorn and fill clear plasic gloves with it then tie at the wrist with some wool.
    Toffee apples go down well too
    Or if DH is about he makes candy floss
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 25th Oct 09, 8:14 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,888 Thanks
    zippychick
    ohhhh! how does he make candy floss?!
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Quillion
    • By Quillion 25th Oct 09, 8:48 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 28,797 Thanks
    Quillion
    http://www.hersheys.com/trickortreats/activities/stencils.asp
    Officially Debt Free Nov 2012
    • Quillion
    • By Quillion 25th Oct 09, 8:50 PM
    • 1,754 Posts
    • 28,797 Thanks
    Quillion

im going to have a go at these but cut them in the shape of pumkins, for the local monster's.

thank you for your cooking thread, it had hubby and me rolling when i came across it
    Originally posted by tori.k
    i love Annabel Karmel stuff
    Officially Debt Free Nov 2012
  • Mrs Thrify
    Witches like burnt cakes! Well they did in the story book I read to the children for years @ halloween.

I have done diffrent things over several years, when they say trick or treat I shouted TRICK and squarted water on them before handing out the sweets! poor things!!!!

Invited kids into the hallway to bob for an apple in a bowl of water and then given out the sweets for a prize.

This year they are getting Dora books or sponge bob pencel cases -I so happen to be given a pile of after a promotion demo. So free mse style.
    Last edited by Mrs Thrify; 25-10-2009 at 9:42 PM.
    If winter comes, can spring be far behind?
    Spring begins on 21st March.
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 26th Oct 09, 4:30 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample

Originally posted by tori.k
    I couldn't get the link to work, but the site's got some good ideas, thanks. I'm thinking these are more the sort of things I'm after, and might even be within my capabilities.
    If you lend someone a tenner and never see them again, it was probably worth it.
    • mrbadexample
    • By mrbadexample 26th Oct 09, 4:32 PM
    • 10,561 Posts
    • 15,223 Thanks
    mrbadexample
    Originally posted by Reverbe
    Trust me, the look on the small witch's face when I presented her with an onion suggested that I'd better not try that again if I know what's good for me.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 26th Oct 09, 4:55 PM
    • 12,790 Posts
    • 221,804 Thanks
    greenbee
    I couldn't get the link to work, but the site's got some good ideas, thanks. I'm thinking these are more the sort of things I'm after, and might even be within my capabilities.
    Originally posted by mrbadexample
    We look forward to the usual full and frank description of the experience ... and pictures of course (I don't suppose the small witch will let you take a photo though... I reckon skiTTish is right about the protection racket )
    • Skint_Catt
    • By Skint_Catt 26th Oct 09, 5:46 PM
    • 11,431 Posts
    • 23,689 Thanks
    Skint_Catt
    I wish our witches and wizards would accept cakes - ours just demand cash with menaces
    • Butterfly Brain
    • By Butterfly Brain 26th Oct 09, 8:00 PM
    • 8,736 Posts
    • 61,001 Thanks
    Butterfly Brain
    ohhhh! how does he make candy floss?!
    Originally posted by zippychick
    We have a prima candy floss maker that we bought years ago for when our two were little.
    Argos still do them for 19.99 and half a bag of sugar goes a long way
    http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&langId=-1&searchTerms=candy+floss+maker&Submit=GO+%3E
    • pandora205
    • By pandora205 26th Oct 09, 8:12 PM
    • 2,827 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    pandora205
    I made chocolate crispies last year using milk and white chocolate (for two types) but having read this thread I'm going to try jessbrown's Mars bar versions. I'll also make them in a baking tray and cut into squares as they'll be easier to wrap.

Last year I was surprised how many of the trick-or-treaters liked getting cakes instead of sweets, even the teenage ones!
    somewhere between Heaven and Woolworth's
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,579Posts Today

9,939Users online

Martin's Twitter