Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    GKWelding
    New telephone scam targeting PC users.
    • 19th Oct 09, 11:23 AM
    New telephone scam targeting PC users. 19th Oct 09 at 11:23 AM
    Just a quick heads up, I received a call today from 'Microsoft' claiming that my desktop PC had sent them an error report that they were now following up. Alarm bells immediately started ringing as I know for a fact I hadn't had any error reports sent from my PC in the past 6 months, I never send them, I always refuse when prompted.

Now, my home number is ex-directory so I asked the guy on the other end of the phone how he'd gotten my number. His answer was so funny; I can't believe people are actually falling for this. Apparently, they'd got my number from my IP address, they'd typed it into a 'special Microsoft database' (his exact words) and they'd gotten my contact details from that, I suspect the only thing special about this phone call was the tool on the other end of the phone. A rather idiotic guy calling himself Kevin Kumar.

Now, I'm a web developer and very knowledgeable about computers and knew this was a complete crock, I could smell the BS coming down the phone line. When I confronted him about this and that I knew this was untrue (most people in the UK with standard ISP's don't even have static IP's anyway), he got very rude and very aggressive claiming that I was only a web developer and had no idea what Microsoft could do.

Don't be intimidated by these idiots. It's a scam, they will ask you to go to a website and download some software, after which they will have control of your PC. After searching the internet there is another variation of this scam in which they ask you to confirm whether your PC is running slowly and claim you have a virus already installed on your PC. They will get you to go to a website and install software. Don't do this, under any circumstances.

Microsoft will NEVER cold call a user no matter what, if you really want to mess with these idiots then just waste as much of their time as possible. Act like you're on the site they've told you to go to, pretend like you're having issues installing the software etc... then tell 'em to get screwed.
Page 1
  • shuaibf
    • 19th Oct 09, 11:48 AM
    • 19th Oct 09, 11:48 AM
    haha what a waste of space .. people have tomuch time to waste trying stupid scams
    Halifax Current Account Overdraft : 1500 FULLY PAID OFF
    Halifax Credit Card : 1950 1000 Left NOT LONG LEFT
    O2 : 952 600 Left FULLY PAID OFF

DEBT FREE BY SUMMER 2010 HOPFULLY
    • John Gray
    • By John Gray 19th Oct 09, 1:13 PM
    • 5,317 Posts
    • 3,127 Thanks
    John Gray
    • 19th Oct 09, 1:13 PM
    • 19th Oct 09, 1:13 PM
    I couldn't find this particular scam on Snopes, so it might be worth you telling them about it?
  • GKWelding
    • 19th Oct 09, 1:30 PM
    • 19th Oct 09, 1:30 PM
    Tried submitting it to snopes but their form for submissions seems to be knackered.
    • Bambi234
    • By Bambi234 19th Oct 09, 3:29 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 134 Thanks
    Bambi234
    • 19th Oct 09, 3:29 PM
    • 19th Oct 09, 3:29 PM
    Any cold callers who I do not wish to speak to, and that includes stupid scammers like this I always do exactly the same thing. I say to them I am not the most technical of people that if you can hold on a little bit I will go and get my partner. I then put the phone down on the side and go and do whatever I fancy i.e. taking a shower or bath or make myself a cup of tea.

Or if I am in the mood for a conversation I start giving them random answers such as fish bicycle and colander. I know they will get hacked off before I do

I have only had one company that seems to being employing people who were totally IQ deficient who was still there after 20 minutes. It's their phone bill.
    Lightbulb Moment Sept 2006

Proud to be dealing with my debts.

Official DFW Nerd No. 254

Debt Free prediction 14/11/09 ( DEBT FREE 27/09/09
    )
    Sealed Pot challenge No 664
  • slick132
    • 18th Nov 09, 12:19 PM
    • 18th Nov 09, 12:19 PM
    I had a call yesterday from an Indian call centre. DAVID (hmmm?) told me he was from Microsoft and they were aware of my recent error report.

Coincidently, 5 days ago I DID allow my PC to make an error report to MS, which I have never done before.

They wanted to help me cure my system which they said had a "deadly Bassington Bug Virus". They would also help speed up my system and it would only cost me 69.95. The product they offered was the Advance System Protector.

I have no idea how they got my phone number or whether it was linked to the error report. I'd have hoped that such a report would be entirely confidential.

David's headset made it almost impossible to hear half of what was being said and I told him, if his virus cure is as bad as his communication equipment, I wasn't interested.
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 18th Nov 09, 12:33 PM
    • 9,005 Posts
    • 13,893 Thanks
    trisontana
    • 18th Nov 09, 12:33 PM
    • 18th Nov 09, 12:33 PM
    I got that call a couple of days ago. After doing some research I found this from Nottingham Trent University
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
  • Leopard
    • 18th Nov 09, 1:26 PM
    • 18th Nov 09, 1:26 PM

We got one of these calls.

I told the guy that I was horrified to hear of it and asked him which of our eight Apple Macs had sent this Windows error message to Microsoft, so that we could identify the ailing computer.

This phased him, somewhat; he asked me to stay on the line while he asked his manager. So I put him on hold. Ten minutes later, when i checked, he was gone...
  • elvch01
    • 18th Nov 09, 1:32 PM
    • 18th Nov 09, 1:32 PM
    I simply told the muppet that I am a software developer for (a major software house) and in accordance with my previous instructions to Microsoft, these messages should be ignored. When they started blustering about infections etc, I simply commented that its hard to develop anti-virus software without having viruses to test upon
    Chris Elvin
    • inspace
    • By inspace 18th Nov 09, 2:24 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    inspace
    What annoys me most about these scams is that some peole would fall for it - my mum for one she is very gullible and would go along with it all the way - very annoying indeed.

Some company has sold their database to the scammers that is for sure - if only we could find out which one - then we could refuse to deal with them.
    • trisontana
    • By trisontana 18th Nov 09, 3:07 PM
    • 9,005 Posts
    • 13,893 Thanks
    trisontana
    What annoys me most about these scams is that some peole would fall for it - my mum for one she is very gullible and would go along with it all the way - very annoying indeed.

Some company has sold their database to the scammers that is for sure - if only we could find out which one - then we could refuse to deal with them.
    Originally posted by inspace
    I was listening to this morning's consumer programme on BBC Three Counties Radio which had mentioned this scam. Right at the end a woman rang in and said she had been taken in, paid out 60, and had given the scammers her card details. Because it was right at the end of the programme they couldn't follow this up today, but are promising to speak to the woman again tomorrow morning.
    What part of "A whop bop-a-lu a whop bam boo" don't you understand?
    • mr_fishbulb
    • By mr_fishbulb 18th Nov 09, 3:26 PM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 2,818 Thanks
    mr_fishbulb
    Originally posted by inspace
    Think we can blame everything on T-Mobile from now on.
  • nadine7346
    Me too!
    Just to say this is ongoing..... received a call today. Only managed to keep them on the line for 9 minutes whilst I put my slap on... think the hairdryer made them suspect that I wasn't simply turning on my PC!
  • lily89
    i got a similar call a couple of weeks ago and an indian gentleman was offering to help clean up my P.C but i brother on who's more P.C technically minded but he said the gentleman would not adknowledge what he was saying
    • HO87
    • By HO87 4th Aug 10, 10:23 AM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 7,514 Thanks
    HO87
    Had a call from the same jokers (or someone using the same script) last week while visiting my mother's. Asked if the computer was on, which it was and asked me to click on the "Start" button. He tried to get me to open the "Control Panel" and when I said I couldn't find it he became horribly confused and ever more angry when I told him that there wasn't a "Start" button on my Desktop either. Despite his repeated instructions I still couldn't find it. If he'd asked I'd have told him I run Linux on the laptop (and Mum has an old iMac) but then he didn't and I wasn't going to advance the information straight away. I eventually put him out of his misery and suggested that I thought it highly odd that MS had received an error report seeing as I didn't use Windows. In the middle of a completely undecipherable but clearly abusive diatribe he rang off.

Oh dear. What a shame. Never mind.
    My very sincere apologies for those hoping to request off-board assistance but I am now so inundated with requests that in order to do justice to those "already in the system" I am no longer accepting PM's and am unlikely to do so for the foreseeable future (August 2016).

For those seeking more detailed advice and guidance regarding small claims cases arising from private parking issues I recommend that you visit the Private Parking forum on PePiPoo.com
    • gonzo127
    • By gonzo127 4th Aug 10, 11:09 AM
    • 4,379 Posts
    • 5,705 Thanks
    gonzo127
    how come you guys get all the fun with these people, they never ring me i am feeling so unloved at the moment, i just want to see how long i can keep them on the phone

i also want to get the one where you go to the website and download the exe file for the virus and then see how long it takes before they realise it wont install on my ubuntu box

although i might actually do it all the way through and open up windows xp in virtual box and try and work out what they are actually doing or trying to do with the program
    Drop a brand challenge
    on a 100 shop you might on average get 70 items save
    10p per product = 7 a week ~ 28 a month
    20p per product = 14 a week ~ 56 a month
    30p per product = 21 a week ~ 84 a month (or in other words one weeks shoping at the new price)
  • davester

We got one of these calls.

I told the guy that I was horrified to hear of it and asked him which of our eight Apple Macs had sent this Windows error message to Microsoft, so that we could identify the ailing computer.

This phased him, somewhat; he asked me to stay on the line while he asked his manager. So I put him on hold. Ten minutes later, when i checked, he was gone...
    Originally posted by Leopard

The Message which Your Macs sent to Microsoft was "Window Vista sucks, use Linux"
    Only Microsoft will think this is a error message
    Survey earnings total 2009 417, 2010 875, 2011 574
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 4th Aug 10, 1:17 PM
    • 6,437 Posts
    • 4,826 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    O/P post date of : 19-10-2009, 11:23 AM, it was so long ago, even before Leopard was banned from the site. I know that #13 states "" this is ongoing "" but any follow on posters should be aware that the thread is nine months old.
  • davester
    leopard got banned?
    Survey earnings total 2009 417, 2010 875, 2011 574
  • 23n1th
    I can quite believe he was, lots of people get banned from this site.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,854Posts Today

6,606Users online

Martin's Twitter