Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 22nd May 06, 5:06 PM
    • 24,745Posts
    • 39,940Thanks
    lynzpower
    Quick Question- cream
    • 22nd May 06, 5:06 PM
    Quick Question- cream 22nd May 06 at 5:06 PM
    Can I freeze whipping cream. Still in the tub unopened, bought too much and dont want to waste it.

If not any ideas welcome for something very easy to make with it, from bog standard store cupbaord items adn no fruit as I dont like it!
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
Page 1
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 22nd May 06, 5:22 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 22nd May 06, 5:22 PM
    • 22nd May 06, 5:22 PM
    Hi lynzower,

Yes you can freeze both whipping cream and double cream providing you whip them first.

Pink
  • Kazonline
    • 22nd May 06, 5:25 PM
    • 22nd May 06, 5:25 PM
    Makes lush ice cream. I bought a real cheap ice cream maker a few months ago and it's whipping cream it uses. From what I can tell all the machine does is keep stirring it from time to time so perhaps this can be done by hand? The Vanilla ice cream is 1 and 1/2 cups cream 1/3cup sugar and 2tsp vanilla extract. Chocolate is 1 1/3 cup cream 1/4 cup cocoa 1/4 cup sugar and 1& 1/4 tsp vanilla extract.
    Pretty sure you can just freeze and reuse the cream though - but not 100% sure ;-)
  • tina68
    • 22nd May 06, 5:26 PM
    • 22nd May 06, 5:26 PM
    cream with a fat content of over 40% freezez better..whip b4 freezing..open freeze 'til firm..then cover .lasts for 3 months
    on this day 23/05/1430
    Joan of Arc captured and delivered to the English
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 18th Jul 09, 8:14 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 20,808 Thanks
    purpleivy
    • 18th Jul 09, 8:14 PM
    • 18th Jul 09, 8:14 PM
    cream with a fat content of over 40% freezez better..whip b4 freezing..open freeze 'til firm..then cover .lasts for 3 months
    Originally posted by tina68

I got a load of extra thick single cream reduced price and was wondering if I could freeze it. I have made a batch of icecream, but to be honest, we can only eat so much icecream and hm icecream doesn't really stay very nice for long either.

I suppose the alternative is recipes that will use the single cream...but need to get cracking by tomorrow!

I'm trying to watch my weight, so don't want to make too much stuff to eat right away. Maybe I shouldn't have got so much of it, but it was only 10p a pot for 250mls Yeo organic.
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 18th Jul 09, 8:21 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 18th Jul 09, 8:21 PM
    • 18th Jul 09, 8:21 PM
    Hi purpleivy,

Single cream doesn't freeze well as it hasn't got a high enough fat content and tends to separate when frozen, unlike double and whipping cream which are fine to freeze provided they're whipped before freezing. I'm not sure though, whether being extra thick will make any difference or not.

This thread might give you some ideas on how to use it:

how to use up single cream?

Pink
    • purpleivy
    • By purpleivy 18th Jul 09, 9:15 PM
    • 3,411 Posts
    • 20,808 Thanks
    purpleivy
    • 18th Jul 09, 9:15 PM
    • 18th Jul 09, 9:15 PM
    I just checked the cream. It's described as extra thick cream for spooning. It's 30% fat, so I shall cook with what I can then chance it with the rest. I'm sure it will be fine for cooking/baking, even if you wouldn't want to eat it as is.

Single cream is 18%. There is an extra thick single cream, but this has the same fat content, thickened by homogenisation.

Whipping cream is 38% and Double is 48%. Why do they call it double cream? Hmm

THis is an interesting link.
    http://www.waitrose.com/recipes/glossarytermpopup.aspx?glossaryid=117&hideVideoLin ks=true
    "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad"
    Trying not to waste food!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

166Posts Today

2,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin