Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • icecoolbabe
    • By icecoolbabe 22nd May 06, 3:57 PM
    • 1,328Posts
    • 705Thanks
    icecoolbabe
    Pumpkin and sunflower seeds - what to do with them?
    • 22nd May 06, 3:57 PM
    Pumpkin and sunflower seeds - what to do with them? 22nd May 06 at 3:57 PM
    I bought a bag of each and apart from putting them on porridge or museli or yoghurt, where else can I put them?

Are they any good in slow cooker casseroles?

Also, can I just put them in the breadmaker along with the other ingredients?

I'm trying to buy a supposedly 'good for you' item each week to try it. Seems I bought two!
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
Page 1
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 22nd May 06, 3:58 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    • 22nd May 06, 3:58 PM
    • 22nd May 06, 3:58 PM
    i add them to any cookies / cakes / flapjacks / bread i make
    • icecoolbabe
    • By icecoolbabe 22nd May 06, 3:59 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 705 Thanks
    icecoolbabe
    • 22nd May 06, 3:59 PM
    • 22nd May 06, 3:59 PM
    That has to be the fastest ever reply!
    If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
  • tiptoes
    • 22nd May 06, 4:21 PM
    • 22nd May 06, 4:21 PM
    As a snack you can toast them in then add a little soy sauce and honey to them in the pan, once cooled they are lovely
    GC: 400/ 0
  • spaghetti monster
    • 22nd May 06, 5:16 PM
    • 22nd May 06, 5:16 PM
    I toast them and sprinkle them on top of salad....
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 22nd May 06, 5:42 PM
    • 22nd May 06, 5:42 PM
    From The World'sHealthiest Foods
    Pumpkin seeds
    Sunflower seeds
    serving suggestions and health benefits.
    • skystar
    • By skystar 22nd May 06, 5:48 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,552 Thanks
    skystar
    • 22nd May 06, 5:48 PM
    • 22nd May 06, 5:48 PM
    I mix pumpkin and sunflower seeds into cereal (normally bran flakes or special K) along with some dried fruit (cranberries, raisins, etc).
    • Crispy Ambulance
    • By Crispy Ambulance 22nd May 06, 6:40 PM
    • 3,769 Posts
    • 6,163 Thanks
    Crispy Ambulance
    • 22nd May 06, 6:40 PM
    • 22nd May 06, 6:40 PM
    I keep a mix of both in a jar near the table and sprinkle them on salads. Also nice toasted and stirred into pasta with some pesto.
    "Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee."
    • Gemstar
    • By Gemstar 22nd May 06, 8:09 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Gemstar
    • 22nd May 06, 8:09 PM
    • 22nd May 06, 8:09 PM
    Sprinkle pumkin seeds on top of a pizza about five minutes before it's ready to come out of the oven. Really delicious.
    • phizzimum
    • By phizzimum 22nd May 06, 8:28 PM
    • 1,699 Posts
    • 9,273 Thanks
    phizzimum
    I whizz a few handfulls up in my food processor and add to bread (just reduce the amount of flour used) after the second kneading cycle sprinkle a few on the top of the loaf as it bakes.

I try to eat the seeds as a healthy snack when I have an energy lull (somehow a biscuit and a coffee always seems more appealing but I do try!) I've found that mixing sunflower and pumpkins seeds together tastes better than either eaten on their own (if that makes any sense)
  • Yikes
    They would also be good in an Asian-style stir fry of vegetables and any meat you wanted to put in. Probably better to have the pumpkin seeds hulled for this; for snacking, I prefer to have them in the hulls. They are also great in baking -- substitute for any other kind of nuts, or just toss in a handful. If you're feeling particularly adventurous, and have a good food processor, you can make either one of these into a "butter" to spread on toast, etc. Drizzle in a bit of oil as you're processing them, until the texture's how you like it. Keep it in a closed jar in the fridge, and stir it up before use.
  • kittiwoz
    I use them in salads, on pizza and in home made pasta sauces. I whizz them up with oil, cheese, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and a cooked vegtable to make pesto style sauces. I have done this with peas, broad beans, peppers and squash before. I also sometimes chop the same ingredients and toss them in hot oil then stir through pasta. I use one or the other or both mixed together depending on what other flavours I'm using.

I also use sunflower seeds in biscuits and flapjacks with sultanas or dried cranberries. I wouldn't use pumpkin seeds in sweet baked goods because I find the taste too strong but I think they'd be good in breads or savoury biscuits for cheese.
    • juno
    • By juno 22nd May 06, 9:55 PM
    • 6,436 Posts
    • 9,153 Thanks
    juno
    I give em to my parrot!
    Murphy's No More Pies Club #209

Total debt 4578.27 0.00
    100% paid off

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,038Posts Today

7,455Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Have you ever been scammed? If so did you keep it quiet? If not would you keep it quiet or tell people? Please vot? https://t.co/68bkmbT9gc

• Short lived promo from Virgin - 100mb broadband (that's seriously fast) AND line for equiv of £19/mth - that's les? https://t.co/QqEwbcvsRN

• Follow Martin