Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Woofles
    Oops Any Vinegar Experts Out There
    • 16th Oct 09, 12:24 PM
    Oops Any Vinegar Experts Out There 16th Oct 09 at 12:24 PM
    Did an online shop with Sainsburys for the first time (I normally use Tesco) and have mistakenly bought a 1 lt jar of spiced pickling vinegar.

Have opened it and smelled it and it just smells like ordinary vinegar to me, the smell of which I'm not too fond of. Is there anything I can do with it apart from pickling. I do use vinegar as a descaler around taps, but that's just a dab or two on some cotton wool.

Its in a very nice tall glass jar, which will be a nice storage container eventually, if I ever live long enough to use it all up.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Rose; 20-10-2009 at 7:07 PM.
Page 1
    • ChapelGirl
    • By ChapelGirl 16th Oct 09, 6:42 PM
    • 137 Posts
    • 164 Thanks
    ChapelGirl
    • 16th Oct 09, 6:42 PM
    • 16th Oct 09, 6:42 PM
    It's just ordinary distilled malt vinegar, but infused with spices like cloves and coriander. Did you mean to buy vinegar at all, or were you after something totally different?

How about looking at the chutney thread for inspiration?
  • Woofles
    • 16th Oct 09, 7:01 PM
    • 16th Oct 09, 7:01 PM
    It's white pickling vinegar, doesn't actualy say what spices are in there.
    I did wonder if I boiled it if that would get rid of them.

I don't fancy spiced knickers.
    • Nordictat2
    • By Nordictat2 17th Oct 09, 12:03 AM
    • 1,516 Posts
    • 1,365 Thanks
    Nordictat2
    • 17th Oct 09, 12:03 AM
    • 17th Oct 09, 12:03 AM

I don't fancy spiced knickers.
    Originally posted by Woofles
    Your other half might like it heheh :P
    *If you like the advice I give...let me know by clicking the THANKS button*
  • Olliebeak
    • 17th Oct 09, 12:57 AM
    • 17th Oct 09, 12:57 AM
    Did an online shop with Sainsburys for the first time (I normally use Tesco) and have mistakenly bought a 1 lt jar of spiced pickling vinegar.
    oooooo thank goodness I'm NOT the only one then . I spotted a HUGE jar of Sarsons white vinegar that worked out cheaper than Asda's own brand white vinegar so bought that . Got it home and it's Pickling Vinegar - so many thanks, Woofles, for asking the question for me .
  • *Maya*
    • 17th Oct 09, 1:02 AM
    • 17th Oct 09, 1:02 AM
    No need with boiling it, it works the same as ordinary white vinegar. Dont mind the spices, they make no difference to the smell of your knicks.
  • Woofles
    • 17th Oct 09, 6:09 AM
    • 17th Oct 09, 6:09 AM
    Just a warning for anyone reading this thread, please be aware that pickling vinegar is stronger than normal vinegar.
    • hannah899
    • By hannah899 17th Oct 09, 6:35 AM
    • 1,126 Posts
    • 1,258 Thanks
    hannah899
    • 17th Oct 09, 6:35 AM
    • 17th Oct 09, 6:35 AM
    You could always use it for cleaning as well. I found it works really well for cleaning the everything in the bathroom from the bath to the windows.
    Also another one is wasp stings. There are some other unpleasent ones like a equal mixture of vineger and honey and mix till dissolved to cut through phlyemn. It also kills weeds to name but a few. My nan always says its great for poaching eggs.

Hope this helps
    it might not be much, but its better than a kick in the teeth

2010 WINS: 80 SURESWEEPSTAKE, 2 FLIP MINO HD CAMCORDERS, TRIUPH CRYING WOMEN LINGERIE, TOY STORY3 LOTSO TEDDY BEAR, 150 BERRYS VOUCHER, XBOX 36O WITH KINECT
  • Olliebeak
    • 17th Oct 09, 9:43 AM
    • 17th Oct 09, 9:43 AM
    I did specifically buy mine for cleaning with - when I saw the difference in the price, I couldn't resist it.

I might take some out of the jar, pickle some eggs for Christmas using the jar and, and then put the reminder in a spray bottle for cleaning with .
    • chinagirl
    • By chinagirl 17th Oct 09, 9:55 AM
    • 858 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    chinagirl
    pickled eggs..., I had a nasty over-indulgence experience with them few years ago, and cannot even look at them now
    keep smiling,
    chinagirl x
    • SallyD
    • By SallyD 17th Oct 09, 10:23 AM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    SallyD
    Anyone living near a chinese food supplier can pick up a gallon of White Vinegar for about 1.50 !!!!!! I get mine from Loon Fung Hong but also could try Asian Food Stores.
    SallyD
  • Woofles
    Whilst looking for something to use my unfortunate mistake with I came across this

http://www.vintagerecipes.net/books/domestic_cookery/mushrooms_4.php

looks interesting.

I don't like a lot of pickles the most adventurous I get is pickled red cabbage and that usually ends up going soggy.
  • Olliebeak
    pickled eggs..., I had a nasty over-indulgence experience with them few years ago, and cannot even look at them now
    Originally posted by chinagirl
    Definitely not for me but my OH and his brother l-u-r-v-e them.
  • markphelan
    There's loads you can do with it!
    Pickled beetroot is very easy to do (top and tail beetroot, boil in water to soften, then remove skins, slice, and put in vinegar).
    If you're feeling more adventurous then you could try making piccalilli? We followed the recipe on waitrose.com, and although we dont' like it we've had so many people asking us to make some for them! Be warned though, keep the windows open as boiling vinegar is a bit potent!
    Pickling onions are cheap from the market - we got 5kg for 3, and we've got some nice kilner jars that we're going to fill with all sorts of pickles and jams to give as Xmas presents this year, so even if you don't like them you could get on Ebay (search Kilner Jars) and make a few little jars as gifts for people!
  • jomknight
    Vinegar Book
    Try to obtain "Vinegar 1001 practical uses " by Margaret Briggs - there are some copies on e bay. Deals with everything. cooking, cleaning , garden, laundry etc. Some ideas- removing sticky labels, removing grease from suede, counteract smell of cats pee in the case of indoor accidents, dissove chewing gum, cleaning windows 2 tablespoos to a litre. dry with newspaper, remove paint from glass with hot vinegar. Overnight car outside- Wipe windows with 1 part water to 3 part vinegar to prevent over night frost forming, etc etc
    • geordie joe
    • By geordie joe 21st Oct 09, 10:16 AM
    • 8,399 Posts
    • 8,454 Thanks
    geordie joe
    Try to obtain "Vinegar 1001 practical uses " by Margaret Briggs - there are some copies on e bay.
    Originally posted by jomknight
    I think this site has most of for free.

http://www.vinegartips.com/
    • geordie joe
    • By geordie joe 21st Oct 09, 10:20 AM
    • 8,399 Posts
    • 8,454 Thanks
    geordie joe
    Anyone living near a chinese food supplier can pick up a gallon of White Vinegar for about 1.50 !!!!!! I get mine from Loon Fung Hong but also could try Asian Food Stores.
    Originally posted by SallyD
    My local green grocer sells them too.
  • Noggin the Nog
    I'm assuming you've broken the seal on the bottle so it's too late for my suggestion, but I also shop online with Sainsburys and if you ever in future find that you've accidentally bought the wrong thing, you can return it to a store for a refund, as long as you take the receipt, within a certain time limit. Details are on the Sainsbury's website (sorry, I would post a link but I have to dash now!). If it's a non-perishable item, it would be worth phoning the helpline and asking if you can return it to the driver when he brings your next delivery.
  • twise05
    Use it to make sweet and sour souce

Have opened it and smelled it and it just smells like ordinary vinegar to me, the smell of which I'm not too fond of. Is there anything I can do with it apart from pickling. I do use vinegar as a descaler around taps, but that's just a dab or two on some cotton wool.

Its in a very nice tall glass jar, which will be a nice storage container eventually, if I ever live long enough to use it all up.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Use it to make your own sweet and sour sauce, recopies can be found on the internet
  • twise05
    Spiced vinegar, tomato sauce, brown sugar and lemon juice = Sweet and sour sauce, just add meat or fish
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

203Posts Today

1,732Users online

Martin's Twitter