Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 12th Oct 09, 4:13 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Tyrone & Molly serve picky guests out-of-date food?
    • 12th Oct 09, 4:13 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Tyrone & Molly serve picky guests out-of-date food? 12th Oct 09 at 4:13 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Tyrone & Molly serve picky guests out-of-date food?

Tyrone and Molly invite their friends Sally and Kevin round for dinner. As Molly prepares the meal, she spots the frozen pies are two years past their best before date. Molly would normally eat them herself; she knows itís safe to eat food after this date (see the Supermarket Shopping guide). Yet Sally is quite fussy, and has mentioned that they NEVER eat food past its best before. Should Molly serve out of date food?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 13-10-2009 at 7:35 PM.
Page 1
    • zygurat789
    • By zygurat789 12th Oct 09, 4:55 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 1,993 Thanks
    zygurat789
    • 12th Oct 09, 4:55 PM
    • 12th Oct 09, 4:55 PM
    They have friends round to dinner and serve them frozen pies!!!
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • borders_dude
    • 12th Oct 09, 6:55 PM
    Serve the manky frozen pies
    When dealing with the CSA its important to note that it is commonly accepted as unfit for purpose, and by default this also means the staff are unfit for purpose.
  • borders_dude
    Wait a minute, If i went to a friends who served me a frozen pie id tell them to give me the number for the local chippy
    When dealing with the CSA its important to note that it is commonly accepted as unfit for purpose, and by default this also means the staff are unfit for purpose.
    • jay_girlsgirlsgirls
    • By jay_girlsgirlsgirls 12th Oct 09, 7:19 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    jay_girlsgirlsgirls
    • 12th Oct 09, 7:19 PM
    • 12th Oct 09, 7:19 PM
    Yes, serve away! It won't do them any harm, it's not going to effect them so go for it.

Just make sure she hides the box - otherwise no one will be coming for dinner again anytime soon!
    • ipod killed the musicshop
    • By ipod killed the musicshop 13th Oct 09, 7:13 PM
    • 2,244 Posts
    • 1,937 Thanks
    ipod killed the musicshop
    • 13th Oct 09, 7:13 PM
    • 13th Oct 09, 7:13 PM
    I don't know but all this fuss about frozen pies, what do you want caviar
    Vodafone let off millions in tax, George Osborne avoids tax, Tories wanted to give a tax break to the richest 3000 estates in the country. If you believe the cuts are because of the deficit, you need to wake up and smell the coffee.
    • BeenieCat
    • By BeenieCat 13th Oct 09, 7:16 PM
    • 6,446 Posts
    • 25,393 Thanks
    BeenieCat
    • 13th Oct 09, 7:16 PM
    • 13th Oct 09, 7:16 PM
    I don't think they should. What if these particular pies hadn't held well and it made them ill, maybe they are more sensitive to such illness or Sally is pregnant

• scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 13th Oct 09, 7:36 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 13th Oct 09, 7:36 PM
    • 13th Oct 09, 7:36 PM
    Two years out of date.

No one should be eating them, not even the dog.
    • pinkkaz
    • By pinkkaz 13th Oct 09, 10:48 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 690 Thanks
    pinkkaz
    • 13th Oct 09, 10:48 PM
    • 13th Oct 09, 10:48 PM
    They have friends round to dinner and serve them frozen pies!!!
    Originally posted by zygurat789
    Brilliant!

• eagle_eye
    • By eagle_eye 13th Oct 09, 11:53 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    eagle_eye
    Perhaps Molly can't tell the difference but Sally can. If they are friends it is hardly worth risking friendship fo the sake of a pie that Molly herself can eat anyway. If they are good friends then why are they serving them frozen pies?
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 14th Oct 09, 6:25 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    If they are good friends then why are they serving them frozen pies?
    Originally posted by eagle_eye
    Well, if you're good friends, you tend to be relaxed and comfortable with eachother. I made my friend a cheese toastie recently...

However, I do agree with the first part of your post, where you said that just because Molly can't tell the difference, Sally can and it's not worth upsetting a long term friend.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 14th Oct 09, 7:25 AM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    Is Molly trying to get rid of Sally & Tyrone so that the way is clear for her & Kevin?
  • tizzicat
    It only says that Sally is fussy - it doesn't say that she can tell the difference. If she doesn't know, then it won't hurt her.
    • cupcakelady
    • By cupcakelady 14th Oct 09, 9:20 AM
    • 237 Posts
    • 612 Thanks
    cupcakelady
    U should be able to trust ur friends - and ur friends should be worthy of that trust. If guests have made clear they don't eat something and don't want it, and there's the option of serving something else, serve that. Otherwise tell them the pies BB expired 2 yrs ago and let them decide for themselves...somehow I think Molly would be too embarassed to do that!

Although it's prob safe to eat some food after it's BB, the dates are there for a reason...and 2 yrs is a long time! Personally, I'd be worried I might get food poisoning!
    • landsker
    • By landsker 14th Oct 09, 9:24 AM
    • 65 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    landsker
    Yes - serve the picky twits out of date food - serve 'em right!
    (Mind you serving ANY sort of bought pie for dinner is definitely infra dig!)

• Nicki24
    If you know for sure that your friends dont eat out of date food then you should respect their wishes and definately not serve them the out of date frozen pies. Its one thing to choose to eat them yourself but it shouldnt be given to others when you know they wouldnt like it.

I have to agree with the other posts though......why on earth would you serve frozen pies at a dinner party? Its a pretty poor effort all round really. If funds are tight there are loads of other options for a cheap meal....a packet of pasta and some basic sauce would be better than an out of date frozen pie :-)
    • Justamum
    • By Justamum 14th Oct 09, 9:29 AM
    • 4,685 Posts
    • 35,888 Thanks
    Justamum
    Although it's prob safe to eat some food after it's BB, the dates are there for a reason...and 2 yrs is a long time! Personally, I'd be worried I might get food poisoning!
    Originally posted by cupcakelady

The BB dates are there for a reason - to make you worry and throw out (probably) perfectly good food and go and buy more! If it looks fine, smells fine and tastes fine, then it probably is fine.

• Nicki24
    U should be able to trust ur friends - and ur friends should be worthy of that trust. If guests have made clear they don't eat something and don't want it, and there's the option of serving something else, serve that. Otherwise tell them the pies BB expired 2 yrs ago and let them decide for themselves...somehow I think Molly would be too embarassed to do that!

Originally posted by cupcakelady
    Here, here.......couldnt agree more :-)
    • mrbrightside842
    • By mrbrightside842 14th Oct 09, 9:29 AM
    • 1,239 Posts
    • 1,983 Thanks
    mrbrightside842
    No, she can eat them herself another night if she doesn't mind, but I wouldn't serve other people food out of date, especially 2 years out of date! Maybe if she checked her freezer more often she wouldn't have to be happy eating out of date stuff!
  • verdy
    Serving out of date food to a friends who made it clear that she doesnt it such food is the same as trying to feed a vegetarian friend with meat hidden between leaves of a cabbage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,003Posts Today

6,475Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin