Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nicci985
    • By nicci985 19th May 06, 9:42 AM
    • 198Posts
    • 156Thanks
    nicci985
    Help! - Freezable Toddler Meals Recipe Ideas
    • 19th May 06, 9:42 AM
    Help! - Freezable Toddler Meals Recipe Ideas 19th May 06 at 9:42 AM
    Hi,

I try to get my son to eat what we eat but there's the few days a week where we need to eat later and I have been giving my son what I call 'Junk Food' and I really dislike doing this.

Has anyone got any recipe ideas for making batch meals up that I can freeze for my little man?

Any help will be much appreciated
Page 1
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 19th May 06, 9:47 AM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    • 19th May 06, 9:47 AM
    • 19th May 06, 9:47 AM
    i always keep some HM tomato based sauce in the freezer,my son loves it with tuna mixed into it then served with whatever pasta shape he fancies

also HM soup is good to have in the freezer,just microwave it and serve with bread for dipping

baked potatoes ready cooked,so just need reheating with whatever topping he likes

also it doesnt always have to be something hot & cooked

my son likes to have a "picnic" meal : meats / cheese / bread / boiled egg/ scotch egg / breadsticks & dips / dried or fresh fruit,pot of yogurt that kind of thing

or something easy like cheesy beans on toast
    eggy bread

etc
    • nicci985
    • By nicci985 19th May 06, 9:50 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    nicci985
    • 19th May 06, 9:50 AM
    • 19th May 06, 9:50 AM
    I didn't think about dinners NOT being hot!

Some great idea there, do you cook the Roast Potatoes yourself? And how do you go about freezing them?

Thanks
    • nicci985
    • By nicci985 19th May 06, 9:51 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    nicci985
    • 19th May 06, 9:51 AM
    • 19th May 06, 9:51 AM
    Oopps sorry Baked potatoes sorry Not Roast Potatoes I meant!
    • mae
    • By mae 19th May 06, 10:00 AM
    • 1,476 Posts
    • 823 Thanks
    mae
    • 19th May 06, 10:00 AM
    • 19th May 06, 10:00 AM
    You can freeze portions of shepherds pie, I make one big one then when its ready put into smaller portions and freeze. Also i make a chicken casserole and do the same. Or you can even make a big portion of mash freeze then put in portions too then when you need a quick meal put a piece of fish or chicken under the grill or whatever and put the mash with it and do some frozen peas in the microwave for a couple of mins... Also with the mash you could defrost it bung in some cheese and warm it up and you've got cheesy mash then make sure they have a yoghurt and some fruit and they've had a healthy quick meal...Also frozen corn on the cob is always quick you can buy mini ones frozen and they only take about six mins in the microwave and healthy too...
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 19th May 06, 10:05 AM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    • 19th May 06, 10:05 AM
    • 19th May 06, 10:05 AM
    I'm not a toddler but I think I'm going to use some of these ideas!!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082!
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 16,956 Debt now: 0.00
    Aims: clear debt, get married, buy a house ALL DONE!!
    • katglasgow
    • By katglasgow 19th May 06, 10:09 AM
    • 380 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    katglasgow
    • 19th May 06, 10:09 AM
    • 19th May 06, 10:09 AM
    I have this problem too! My son is 2.5 and is very picky. I work (almost) FT and have to produce dinner v.v quickly! It's handy to have things in freezer that can be microwaved, grilled or oven cooked in 10 mins or less!

I buy chicken goujons and freeze them in portoins, they can be oven cooked wrapped in tin foil with herbs etc... At the moment he won't eat a slice of "normal" cooked meat from Sunday roast etc... but I am working on this!
    I do serve him sausages and fish finger but will pay more for the best quality ones.

I have recently started making my own burgers - lean beef mince, breadcrumbs and a bit of onion, herbs, he really likes these and they are great for freezing. I have also in the past done a meatball variation on this with pork mince and a bit of grated apple and onion.

Ewan has always liked mince and potatoes so make up big quantities of this whenever the better quality mince is reduced, and freeze it in cooked protions, thats a really quick meal (you can also hide carrots, turnip and onion in the mince!).

With all the things I would serve a portion of potatos, rice or couc cous and a portion or veg - carrot batons, peas, sweetcorn or baked beans (healthy option). The portions he has are tiny so if you cook some up one night then you have a few ready cooked portions to keep in fridge for next few days (you can't keep cooked rice in fridge but it is OK to freeze it). Ewan doesn't like pasta at all but if your son does you can also make up a huge batch of cheese sauce and freeze portions so you could make macaroni cheese, fish in cheese sauce etc... very quickly and easily. Another quick, lighter meal which he loves is a boiled egg (which I mash up a little in a bowl).

He gets lunch at nursery and eats much better there where all the boys and girls eat the same. He regulary has a very mild chicken korma there and they also make their own pizzas.

I have only recently realised he is not a baby and is a boy now (!) so I am starting to get a bit meaner to encourage him to eat what I want him to - no pudding unless you have 2 more pieces of carrot etc... It does actually work! I have also found he eats better when the protions are tiny and sometimes I make it into a happy face for him!

Maybe not the healthiest of eating habits, but at the moment I am trying to balance variety with time and just hopefully move him in the right direction. He doesn't eat much veg but loves fruit so I guess thats OK.

Karyn
    Me debt free thanks to MSE
    • gingin
    • By gingin 19th May 06, 10:11 AM
    • 2,887 Posts
    • 8,948 Thanks
    gingin
    • 19th May 06, 10:11 AM
    • 19th May 06, 10:11 AM
    I managed to get a job lot of ramekins and so I fill them with fish pie, lasagne, bolognese, casseroles. Basically whenever I make anything for us I just pop a couple of portions in ramekins for DD and either refrigerate or freeze. If I don't have much time one of my kids favourite meals is pasta with cheese and peas and ham mixed together, it takes no more than 5 minutes to get ready and is better than relying on junk food.
  • garret1
    • 19th May 06, 10:15 AM
    • 19th May 06, 10:15 AM
    Hi there. i had this problem with my twins (and still do) as they won't eat spicy food. On our "spicy nights" I either do "hotchpotch" which is bsically a ploughman's for kids using up any cold meat, cheese etc and chopped up fruit, or I will usually have something in the freezer. Their favourites are:

shepherds pie
    spag bol
    any fish in white sauce
    homemade turkey burgers
    sausage casserole
    irish stew
    chicken casserole. (made with thighs and very cheap)

and remember not to beat yourself up about the occasional junk meal!!
    • nicci985
    • By nicci985 19th May 06, 10:21 AM
    • 198 Posts
    • 156 Thanks
    nicci985
    Thanks for all the advice there's some really greta ideas here.

I try to keep things healthy but when I do give him a 'Junky' Meal I do feel slightly guilty, as I've always tried to keep his meals healthy, I breastfed for 10 months, weaned him with Organic HM vegetable Mixes, then it came to other meals and I got stuck!

I think I know what I will be doing this weekend!
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 19th May 06, 12:48 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    I didn't think about dinners NOT being hot!

Some great idea there, do you cook the Roast Potatoes yourself? And how do you go about freezing them?

Thanks
    by nicci985

what i do is cook a few potatoes in the microwave,then freeze individually in foil ,i take them out the night before then its just a case of popping back in the microwave to warm through or in the oven if you want the skin crispy

also you can freeze single portions of mashed potato
    my 4 yr old loves rice and i admit i cheat and buy the bags of steam micro rice from tesco ,they are 2 big bags for 1.50 and are in individual size portions so ideal for popping in the microwave and stirring some tuna etc through for a quick meal
  • looneyleo
    Glad to hear other mum's are having the same problems...

My little girl loves cous cous...I buy the already flavoured ones (Ainsley Harriotts are lovely!) Very easy to make...take 2-3 mins in microwave and I get her involved in making it..stirring...pressing the buttons etc. I then grill a small piece of tuna (spilt the rest up into pieces and then in the freezer for next time) and i'm lucky...she eats salad too so a few pieces of tomato, cucumber etc and a healthy meal in 5 mins. Use the remaining cous cous for your lunch in a salad the next day.

Doing veg isn't hard either...I just have one pan of boiling water...put in one new potatoe, half a carrot, rip off one piece of cauliflower and one piece of brocolli. Because it is all so small it only takes a max of 10 mins to cook. I serve it with a sausage or whatever and a small amount of instant gravy...

Pasta is great too...my hubby does a lovely quick pasta sauce...Fry mushrooms with onions and pepper, throw in some ham, then just mix in some ketchup (we use real tomatoes too sometimes). Throw in the cooked pasta add some cheese on top and it's lovely!

Don't worry about junk food...tiny babies don't talk back...they're easy to feed! As long as toddlers get veggies and fruit in some form most days then it's OK to miss the odd day!

looneyleo
  • moiracm
    meals for toddlers
    I too freeze leftovers for my DS (2 years old). I tend to make things like;

Shepherds pie
    lasagne
    chicken casseroles
    sausage casserole
    fish pie
    spaghettie bologniase
    home made soups and scones
    lamb hotpot

all of which I can freeze extra portions for DS and then take them out in the morning if DH and I are having something spicy, or are having a late meal. I also use packets of frozen mixed veg as this ensures that he gets a good balance of veg and it cooks very quickly in the microwave.

For puds I tend to give him a jelly or a custard with some tinned fruit (in juice) for quickness and know he has had a good balanced tea.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Just remember NOT to add any salt as advised by my old HV!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • Sea78
    • By Sea78 20th May 06, 9:25 PM
    • 6,133 Posts
    • 8,484 Thanks
    Sea78
    Wow,

thanks for all these suggestions - I'm going to use loads of them! Also, to reassure, my dd didn't eat much veg at all from about 2 until she was nearly 3. I was tearing my hair out! Now she'll have a go at most things, especially at the childminders where she'll eat everything she's given, it's only at home she has a problem...grrrr....

Sea xx
    CCCS DMP:Feb 07
    Total:37,016.470 DEBT FREE FEB 14
  • Shez
    ooh theres some good ideas on here - think i will try some myself!

im getting fed up with what to feed them, DD is quite good and will try things, but DS wont try - dont like it! how do they know they dont like it if they dont try??? they dont eat bolognaise, shephers pie so cant disguise veggies! I find real meat a problem, apart from chicken.
    maybe its a case of putting something infront of them and if they dont eat it, leave them without till next mealtime? if they know something else isnt getting served up then maybe they will eat whats there?
    they do eat fruit, but veg is a hard one.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    Children are often like this:rolleyes: My DD is 11 and at home will eat cabbage, runner beans, carrots, peas, sweetcorn, lettuce, cucumber. If she goes to someone elses home-she will eat anything:confused:

xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • HopeElizzy
    • By HopeElizzy 21st May 06, 8:38 AM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    HopeElizzy
    I use Annabel Karmels cookbooks - I started with her baby and toddler meal planner and also use her family meal planner- all the recipes tell you whether they can be frozen. This has really helped me as I've been able to batch cook meals for my toddlers so when my mum childminds they can take their dinner with them to her house. Less work for her - she just has to heat up the meal and less worry for me - I know what they're eating!

Annabel has a website with some ideas on it.......http://www.cookingforchildren.co.uk/
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • Jo_R
    Something we have introduced recently to my two-year-old is homemade vegetable quiche. It has gone down so well with boyfy and DD that next time I am going to make two or three and freeze what we have left. We usually have them with homemade potato wedges, you can stick them in the oven with the quiche whilst you heat it up and if you cut the wedges thin enough, they'll cook in the same amount of time - we did them in 20 mins yesterday if that's not too long for you.
  • finc
    A quick meal I prepare for my 2 year old is 2 tortillas fried lightly in a dry pan until a bit crispy.
    Spread with some tomato puree on one side of each tortilla and top one with grated cheese. Add ham, peppers, sweetcorn or whatever els and place the other tortilla on top, tomato side down.
    Put back in the dry frying pan and cook a bit longer on each side until the cheese has melted a bit.
    Slice into wedges and serve! It only takes about 10 minutes to make and are also tasty cold.

I've also got the Annabel Karmel book and it's got loads of great ideas that are tasty for all the family. Have a look in the library for it but if you want to buy it I found the cheapest place was Asda.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,222Posts Today

4,289Users online

Martin's Twitter