Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 17th Oct 05, 8:46 AM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    • 17th Oct 05, 8:46 AM
    • 17th Oct 05, 8:46 AM
    You can use it in flapjacks, as a crumble topping to fruit, sprinkled in yoghurt, even make porridge with it! I'll come back if I think of any more
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Magentasue
    • By Magentasue 17th Oct 05, 8:48 AM
    • 4,201 Posts
    • 2,671 Thanks
    Magentasue
    • 17th Oct 05, 8:48 AM
    • 17th Oct 05, 8:48 AM
    You could use it in flapjacks instead of oats or put half a serving in a bowl, top with a couple of tablespoons greek yogurt, chopped apple, banana and a few almonds for a weekend breakfast. I used to have this when I was pregnant as a way of getting prunes and linseed down me to combat the side effects of iron tablets -don't ask!
  • bigmuffins
    • 17th Oct 05, 8:54 AM
    Muesli Slice
    • 17th Oct 05, 8:54 AM
    Try this - can't get much easier or yummier!!

Muesli Slice
    1 cup = 250ml volume
    1/2 cup = 125ml volume

Ingredients:
    2 medium size eggs beaten
    4 oz butter
    2 tbsp honey
    1 cup natural muesli (even better with deluxe nuttier ones)
    cup brown sugar
    cup desiccated coconut
    cup currants
    cup chopped dried apricots
    cup wholemeal flour (plain or self raising)
    cup flaked almonds

Method
    1. Preheat oven to 160C
    2. Grease and line the base of a deep sided 19cm x 29 cm traybake tin
    3. Melt butter and honey together gently in large pan. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
    4. Add all ingredients to pan except eggs and mix well.
    5. Then add beaten eggs and mix well.
    6. Press mixture into tin and bake for 30-35 mins.
    7. Turn out onto wire rack and allow to cool. Cut into slices with sharp knife to serve.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by bigmuffins; 17-10-2005 at 9:03 AM. Reason: adding cup size
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 17th Oct 05, 8:57 AM
    • 17th Oct 05, 8:57 AM
    Muesli Soda Bread Scroll down the page a bit.

You may find that if you mixed your muesli with milk and left it overnight in the fridge it became more like a porridge and less bitty. You could try warming this up in the microwave for a minute or two to turn it into muesli porridge.

Muesli Bread I'd try this first by reducing all the amounts by a third as it makes quite a large amount as it is.
    Last edited by Ted_Hutchinson; 17-10-2005 at 9:01 AM.
  • carol_a
    • 17th Oct 05, 9:02 AM
    • 17th Oct 05, 9:02 AM
    Muesli Soda Bread Scroll down the page a bit.

You may find that if you mixed your muesli with milk and left it overnight in the fridge it became more like a porridge and less bitty.
    by Ted_Hutchinson
    Don't say that word "bitty", lol, it reminds me of the Little Britain we were watching last night!! Recipe sounds delish by the way!
    • Chipps
    • By Chipps 17th Oct 05, 9:08 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 4,802 Thanks
    Chipps
    • 17th Oct 05, 9:08 AM
    • 17th Oct 05, 9:08 AM
    The most bizzarre way of eating muesli I have come across was a German student who stayed with us for 3 months a few years ago.
    She ate dry muesli for breakfast, with drinking chocolate powder. It looked disgusting.
    But....
    one day I thought I would try it...
    and...
    it's really nice!
    Very strange.
    • kiwichick
    • By kiwichick 17th Oct 05, 2:08 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    kiwichick
    • 17th Oct 05, 2:08 PM
    • 17th Oct 05, 2:08 PM
    Don't say that word "bitty", lol, it reminds me of the Little Britain we were watching last night!! Recipe sounds delish by the way!
    by carol_a
    Oh God,me too, we watched the freebie DVD from NOTW, makes you CRINGE doesnt it?!?
    WW Start Weight 18/04/12 = 19st 11lbs
    Weight today = 17st 6.5lbs
    Loss to date 32.5lbs!!!
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 17th Oct 05, 2:12 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    • 17th Oct 05, 2:12 PM
    • 17th Oct 05, 2:12 PM
    The most bizzarre way of eating muesli I have come across was a German student who stayed with us for 3 months a few years ago.
    She ate dry muesli for breakfast, with drinking chocolate powder. It looked disgusting.
    But....
    one day I thought I would try it...
    and...
    it's really nice!
    Very strange.
    by Chipps

When I staid with a family in Germany they bought blocks of chocolate (like cheese ) and then sliced it to make sandwiches. Surprizingly nice.
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 17th Oct 05, 2:25 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    Have you tried replacing the milk with fruit juice - the only thing I can bear that makes muesli palatable. And before you recoil in horror, remember that muesli contains fruit
  • Claude
    Thank you everybody! I knew I could rely on you all! Bigmuffins that recipe looks really yummy and Ted, I love the idea of muesli bread as I usually like my bread with lots of grains in.... Not sure I want to try it with OJ, but one day I might be brave enough Debt_Free_Chick!!!
    "There is something about the presence of a cat...that seems to take the bite out of being alone. Louis Camuti
  • bigmuffins
    My pleasure!
    A glass of milk and piece of this (or two .. ) will set you up for the day!
    Just let it cool a while before you cut it up otherwise may crumble and you will be forced to tidy up the crumbled bits
    Hehehe!
    let us know how you get on!
    ps don't know about keeping qualities ....
  • sallypurple
    If the Muesli goes past its sell by date, or really is too nasty to eat any more you can always mix it with melted fat or lard to make bird cake.
  • Claude
    If the Muesli goes past its sell by date, or really is too nasty to eat any more you can always mix it with melted fat or lard to make bird cake.
    by sallypurple
    Excellent idea! And as I'm supposed to watch what I eat, it's a guilt free way of using it up once I've made the bread and the muesli slices! eh eh!

I'll try these recipes at the week end as DD and I are on half-term hols and let you know how we get on!!
    "There is something about the presence of a cat...that seems to take the bite out of being alone. Louis Camuti
    • aimme13
    • By aimme13 18th May 06, 7:04 PM
    • 447 Posts
    • 2,042 Thanks
    aimme13
    what can i do with muesli??
    Hi, ive dusted off the food mixer (still packed away when i moved house 2 years ago!!) and started to dig out the cook books too. Ive taken loads and loads of advice form this chat forum, thanks a million.......now i need some help.

I thought i had a brain wave in tescos yesterday and bought a packet of their own brand muesli, very cheap and i thought i could make some flapjacks with them...........wasnt till i got home i remembered that it is oats that are used in flap jacks (oh dear!) so ive just been to the library and got out some cook books hoping that i would find something to make from this rather large packet of muesli........errrrr.....none??? cant find a thing so i have 3 options
    1. take bag back and get a refund?
    2. eat the muesli for breakfast( really not a good option!)
    3. find something else more exciting to make with them...

so any help with option 3 would be greatly appreciated.....thanks
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 18th May 06, 7:10 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 16,858 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    But flapjacks are made with oats - aren't they? My parents call them oatcakes.

Sorry, just reread your post, and still can't see the problem as muesli is mainly oats too :confused:.
    Last edited by Bogof_Babe; 18-05-2006 at 7:13 PM.
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• SamMoffatt28
    • By SamMoffatt28 18th May 06, 7:11 PM
    • 1,827 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    SamMoffatt28
    Could you make muesli bars with them? I guess you could mix the muesli with warm honey then leave them to set, in the kind of way that you make rice krispie cakes by mixing hot syrup with rice krispies?
    Dont know if that'd work hey I'm a crap cook! LOL
    Sam
  • bigmuffins
    Here are some ideas:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=1004153&highlight=muesli#post100 4153

Could you make muesli bars with them? I guess you could mix the muesli with warm honey then leave them to set, in the kind of way that you make rice krispie cakes by mixing hot syrup with rice krispies?
    Dont know if that'd work hey I'm a crap cook! LOL
    by SamMoffatt28
    SamMoffat28 - link above for fab muesli slice recipe

Enjoy!
    Last edited by bigmuffins; 18-05-2006 at 7:16 PM.
  • Noozan
    Could you not try using the muesli in place of oats in flapjacks anyway?

I sometimes add a handful of muesli to crumble topping for going over fruit.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • skystar
    • By skystar 18th May 06, 7:37 PM
    • 529 Posts
    • 2,552 Thanks
    skystar
    Muesli mixed with a pot of yoghurt is yummy. Sometimes have this for breakfast.

Agree with other posters tho'. I am sure muesli is just oats with fruit mixed in so could be used in flapjacks?!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

997Posts Today

7,385Users online

Martin's Twitter