Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Mumofthreeboys
    Homemade Lager/Beer/Wine
    • 18th May 06, 12:41 PM
    Homemade Lager/Beer/Wine 18th May 06 at 12:41 PM
    Hi all, I'm having another OS moment!!

We (2 adults and 3 kids - hence username) are doing our level best to save, save, save, and save some more (I am addiced to this site, by the way).

We are doing loads of things directly as a result of OS. I make my own washing gloop. I use stardrops for cleaning and vinegar for just about everything. We are growing pots, carrots, runner beams and peppers. We do menu plans and are really trying to budget properly.

We don't smoke and haven't been out in ages (other than do's for the kids).
    I have banned DH from drinking during the week as we just can't afford it. As a result, we do, come the weekend, like to have a bottle of wine or some beers.

So rather than buy the expensive stuff I thought I'd consult The Oracle (you lot)!! Do any of you excellent MSE's have any ideas/recipes for homemade lager/beer/wine and/or an idiots guide as to how you go about it?

Last edited by MSE Archna; 31-05-2006 at 12:02 PM.
    2 Saver Club (started 24th March '06) going towards No. 2 Son Cub trip!!
    20p Saver Club (started 11th April '06) Grand Total = 135.00 Paid to Akela
Page 1
  • shammyjack
    • 18th May 06, 12:48 PM
    • 18th May 06, 12:48 PM
    This site should tell you all you need to know !

http://www.homewinemaking.co.uk/cgi/yabb/YaBB.cgi

shammy
  • Mumofthreeboys
    • 18th May 06, 12:50 PM
    • 18th May 06, 12:50 PM
    Thanks, I'll definitely check it out.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    • 18th May 06, 1:01 PM
    • 18th May 06, 1:01 PM
    I posted about this last year and got some great replies. Can anyone do the link?

Ta

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
  • Mumofthreeboys
    • 18th May 06, 1:03 PM
    • 18th May 06, 1:03 PM
    Oops, sorry Penny-Pincher

Did you make any and if so, how did it turn out?
  • Mumofthreeboys
    • 18th May 06, 2:20 PM
    • 18th May 06, 2:20 PM
    I have tried searching for your post Penny-Pincher, but to no avail (my god you've been busy on here)!! Is there anyone who can help on this?
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 18th May 06, 3:00 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 18th May 06, 3:00 PM
    • 18th May 06, 3:00 PM
    Penny-Pincher I've tried, but I can't find a thread on beer or wine making started by you :confused: Can you remember the thread title?

Mumofthreeboys, in the meantime these other threads might help:

Beer Making Kits-How Easy????

Home Made Wine

Homemade wine

Home made wine and stockists of equipment

Pink

• mandyc
    • By mandyc 18th May 06, 4:37 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    mandyc
    • 18th May 06, 4:37 PM
    • 18th May 06, 4:37 PM
    We used to make gallons and gallons of wine when the hobby was at its peak in the seventies. We used to travel all over the place exhibiting in different shows.

Nowadays, the kits you buy are quite expensive (its a case of you get what you pay for. The dearer ones have a higher grape content) We have three gallons on the go at the moment and I really doubt it is worth it if you are just doing it to save money.

IMHO, these days with all the offers on at supermarkets you can can get an excellent wine for 3.49 or 3.99 and most of the 2.99 are comparable to the home made wines from concentrates.

If you decide to make from the original fruit it may be cheaper but it is hard to get the "body" in the wine without adding some grape concentrate. Also wine made from fruit/veg takes longer to mature than that in kits - usually nine/twelve months.
  • Mumofthreeboys
    • 18th May 06, 6:04 PM
    • 18th May 06, 6:04 PM
    Pink, thank you very much for the links. These are very helpful.

Mandyc, I think you are probably correct about it not being cheaper to make wine, I hadn't thought of it like that. Maybe I'll make DH some homebrew!!!
    • lindadykes
    • By lindadykes 29th May 06, 11:41 PM
    • 395 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    lindadykes
    How about a homemade simple cider? I got the idea from here http://forum.downsizer.net/about3420.html I used four 1 litre cartons of asda's cheapest apple juice. placed it in a demijohm (75p from a charity shop and which I sterilised with a solution of water and camden tablets from wilkinsons) Added two heaped teaspoons of wine yeast again from wilkinsons. Put a bung with an airlock attached in the neck of the demijohn (wilkinsons again!) and leave in a warm place, after about 24 hours it was bubbling away nicely, left it sitting there for three weeks after which time the bubbling was very slow, so topped up the demijohn with more apple juice. Left it till fermentation stopped (no more bubbling) which was after 4 weeks. Looked on the internet for some PET (Plastic) bottles to bottle it in, but it was cheaper to buy some bottles of soda water from home bargains, drink the water and sterilse the bottles with a camden tablet solution than to buy new from the internet. The cider tasted a bit thin from the demijohn so I added 1 tsp of sugar to each of the bottles then syphoned the cider from the demijohn into the bottles. Sealed the bottles and left for 5 days - the cider was excellent a still scrumpy type cider, free from chemicals and packed quite a punch. The ingredients minus the cost of the reusable equipment came to £1.50 for 4 litres of cider.
    Last edited by lindadykes; 29-05-2006 at 11:43 PM.
    Linda
    • Austin Allegro
    • By Austin Allegro 30th May 06, 10:39 AM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 4,072 Thanks
    Austin Allegro
    The thing to remember about home made wines, beers etc is that unless you spend a lot of time and money, they won't taste much like 'proper' beer and wine. You can, however, make perfectly drinkable wine sometimes called 'buck' or 'prison wine' for only a few pence a bottle - check online for recipes - it's not the kind of thing you'd serve at a posh dinner but it's fine for spritzers etc.
  • Celtic
    For the last 25 years I have been happily making home made beer .
    My local wilkinsons has a good home brew section with reasonable prices .
    The local home brew shop is good but bit pricey !
    Bitter is the easiest to make and seldom goes wrong just as good as pub beer.
    Larger is hard never seems work properly.
    Cider is a joke and never works well !
    Were all Dooooooooomed !
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 31st May 06, 7:25 PM
    • 8,905 Posts
    • 16,199 Thanks
    calleyw
    My local wilkinsons has a good home brew section with reasonable prices .
    by Celtic
    My husband buys a kit thing that is a tin of stout makes 40 pints for 8.99 and a bag of sugar.

He likes it.

Strange that only some wilkinsons for home brew and others don't.

Yours

Calley
  • dinerouk
    Beer
    As an old hand of 30 years at beer-making (kits, not the real complicated stuff) I have found Coopers Bitter (It's Aussie) to be the best I have tried. But that's only my opinion. It costs me 7-60. Make sure all vessels are cleaned with proper fluid and rinsed, add 1kg sugar, Hot water off the boil, sachet of yeast and wait 2-3 weeks. 40 pints for 8.50p. Lovely!

Pete, Doncaster
    Named after my cat, picture coming shortly
    • tim_n
    • By tim_n 1st Jun 06, 11:19 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    tim_n
    www.howtobrew.com - bible 4 homebrewing!

Just made some nettle beer - www.waark.com is where I've written about my experience though I've not tasted it yet.
    Last edited by tim_n; 01-06-2006 at 11:22 AM.
    • tim_n
    • By tim_n 1st Jun 06, 11:26 AM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 1,316 Thanks
    tim_n
    as a note:

cider does work, but it will never be as sharp as a commercial brew without filtration - there's an art involved...

ale is easiest during the summer months to brew because of the temperature

lager is easiest during the winter to brew as it requires a very chilly spell after primary fermentation to make the yeast work harder and slower. At other times of the year you need to have a fridge handy.

never use the packs of yeast with a lager brew - get a slap-pack (a local homebrew shop'll know whatcha mean) as liquid yeast is better just doesn't last as long as dried.

And with all of the above leave in the bottle at least a month before drinking - 6 months and your brew is a precious and fantastic breed of beer!
  • Mumofthreeboys
    Thanks everybody for your help.

I'll be going to Wilko's tomorrow to get supplies. I'll get some taste testers in (kids are too young) and let you know the results!!!
    • chillin_out
    • By chillin_out 1st Jun 06, 7:47 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    chillin_out
    I have been making beer for years and have learnt most stuff the hard way.
    My top tips are

Get the best kit you can afford. Even with kits brewing is going to occupy a fair amount of time and effort so it makes sense to get the best ingredients. Also adding sugar and stiring it in damages your fermentation bin by scractching it so it becomes more suseptable to infection and takes longer to sterilise for future brews. I would recommend starting with Woodfordes Wherry as a kit, its about £16 but you dont add sugar and I have never been dissapointed with the results.

Make an effort to sterilise everything thoroughly and equally as important ensure that you rinse it thoroughly afterwards.

Buy some mineral water from Tescos or a similar supermarket. The water is great for brewing (Water is the main ingredient after all) also you have some plastic bottles to store the brew in afterwards. At 17p for 2 litres its the best investment you can make in the brewing process. Bottles are always better than a pressure barrel in my opinion as if you mess up on the sterilisation of a bottle you are only losing 4 rather than 40 pints. Also bottles seeem to condition better and are easy to chill.

Find a local homebrew shop. Generally the prices are the same wherever you go, but they can be useful in advising you of what you need and hints and tips if you have any problems
  • Johnmcdude
    Home brew
    I've been doing this for years,particularly since our two lads arrived and I had no money for me any more.You need to invest in the basic kit .i.e a Mash bin and a pressure barrel.You will also need either a heat mat or a belt to maintain temperature of 74 degrees approx,and float to ensure fermentation is completed.This will set you back about 30-40.You now need a can of Home Brew(Wort),and a sterilising agent (8 teaspoons to sterilize your barrel-followed by 8 teaspoons of Sodium metabisulphate to get rid of taste of steriliser).You now are ready to brew.Put the contents of your wort into an aluminium vessel along with some boiling water and one kilo of sugar.Bring to the boil and then transfer to your mash bin along with enough water to make total of 40 pints. Sprinkle on the yeast(supplied with Wort)and maintain temp for about 2 weeks.Meanwhile sterilize your pressure barrel with same 2 steps you did with Mash bin.When fermentation is completed (as indicated by float)transfer to pressure barrel,move to safe location and maintain temp for about a week or so,to allow to settle and for gas to build up.
    Drink it.
    Easy as that.
    Tips are;watch temperature and seasonal changes in ambient temp.
    Sterilize.Sterilize.Sterilize.
    It is also worth investing in a device to fizz up your beer as it very rarely produces enough put a head on for long. Get it right and it's well worth it.40 pints of tasty,strong beer for under a tenner!
  • ianburnip
    my mums being doing this for years. there are Homebrew shops throughout the country which should help you.

books:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0937381888/qid=1149366266/sr=8-8/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i8_xgl/202-9309795-7435866
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0764550462/qid=1149366266/sr=8-3/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl/202-9309795-7435866
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/093738173X/qid=1149366266/sr=8-9/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i9_xgl/202-9309795-7435866

Dont know how good they are, but you could look at a library, which might have some stuff.

A good book is "brewing beers like those you buy" or something like that, its got some good recipies.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,459Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin