Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • soba
    • By soba 17th May 06, 1:13 PM
    • 1,435Posts
    • 6,543Thanks
    soba
    **URGENT** - curry sauce is green!!!
    • 17th May 06, 1:13 PM
    **URGENT** - curry sauce is green!!! 17th May 06 at 1:13 PM
    Hello, making Curry Queen's curry sauce this afternoon. Have got to the stage of boiling the water, garlic and ginger in a pan for 40 mins. However I've just checked and the contents of the pan are bright green!! Aaaaaargh.
    Surely this can't be right??
    I'm using my pressure cooker as a saucepan and it's aluminium, could this be why?
    Please help or it's jam butties for tea!!

Page 1
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 17th May 06, 1:26 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 17th May 06, 1:26 PM
    • 17th May 06, 1:26 PM
    Hi soba,

It's meant to be green. You're not the first to be surprised by it though :

My Curry Queen sauce has turned GREEN!!

Pink
  • Jay-Jay
    • 17th May 06, 1:27 PM
    • 17th May 06, 1:27 PM
    IIRC mine was green at that stage too. Whe you put the other stuff in it goes the right colour
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• soba
    • By soba 17th May 06, 1:28 PM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    soba
    • 17th May 06, 1:28 PM
    • 17th May 06, 1:28 PM
    Thanks guys, I've just put the jam back in the fridge!

• Murtle
    • By Murtle 17th May 06, 5:12 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 2,576 Thanks
    Murtle
    • 17th May 06, 5:12 PM
    • 17th May 06, 5:12 PM
    fantastic, just brought a smile to my face!!! Just popped in to be nosey and see why it went green, might have to try it myself!!!

x
    • soba
    • By soba 17th May 06, 5:52 PM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    soba
    • 17th May 06, 5:52 PM
    • 17th May 06, 5:52 PM
    When i say it was green it was chip shop mushy pea green - I mean bright vivid green. Jay-Jay was right though, it does turn the right colour after you've added the other ingredients. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone thinking of trying it. It does seem a bit of a faff, but it's made enough for tea tonight, I've frozen two portions and I'm taking one lot camping with us on Sat night. Got my copy of The Curry Secret delivered today, so I've got loads of ideas to try now.

• filigree
    • 18th May 06, 6:03 PM
    • 18th May 06, 6:03 PM
    I got the violent blue/green slop, then put in the recommended enormous quantities of raw spices which turned it *unmentionable* brown - the results tasted like boiled onions mixed with sand. Yuk! If I got served this in a restaurant I'd want my money back. The results were so horrible I rinsed the sauce off (yes, I really am that stingy) and reheated the meat in shop-bought curry sauce.

I have persevered, honest, I thought the first dismal attempt was because I found the recipe on the web somewhere so I bought the "Curry Secret" book and had the same problem.

Now I use a spoonful of curry sauce (huge tub from ethnic shop 99p) and a bit of coconut (30p for a pack that does 2-3 meals) and get yummy curry sauce for about 15p per meal. And my house doesn't stink of boiled onions

I sold the "Curry Secret" back to Amazon marketplace, so all was not lost. Someone else can have gritty dinner!
    • lucym
    • By lucym 18th May 06, 7:44 PM
    • 409 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    lucym
    • 18th May 06, 7:44 PM
    • 18th May 06, 7:44 PM
    I got the violent blue/green slop, then put in the recommended enormous quantities of raw spices which turned it *unmentionable* brown - the results tasted like boiled onions mixed with sand. Yuk! If I got served this in a restaurant I'd want my money back. The results were so horrible I rinsed the sauce off (yes, I really am that stingy) and reheated the meat in shop-bought curry sauce.
    by filigree
    My experience was the same…would love to know where we went wrong as everyone else raves about this method.
  • ladygrey
    • 22nd May 06, 8:26 AM
    • 22nd May 06, 8:26 AM
    wanted to try out this recipe for curry but would like to know a few more people enjoyed it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,775Posts Today

7,791Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• RT @Screeeeamer: @dwlstacey @MartinSLewis @TUIUK Dear mr Stacy, I need to let you know of a slight amendment to the Porsche 911 you ordered?

• Follow Martin