Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • ladygrey
    • 23rd May 06, 8:20 AM
    • 23rd May 06, 8:20 AM
    red kidney beans double in weight when cooked so halve the quantity
  • milliejon
    • 23rd May 06, 12:28 PM
    • 23rd May 06, 12:28 PM
    Thank you Ladygrey! Mmmm - now I can cook a tomato and red bean chilli I've been threatening my family with!
    DMP mutual support number 174
    Total debt now (April 10) 0! - total paid off 30,221 or 100%
    I'm now debt free after 6 years!!
    Non smoker since June 2006
  • jamescredmond
    • 19th Aug 06, 2:37 PM
    kidney beans
    • 19th Aug 06, 2:37 PM
    With nothing better to do this morning I watched SAT MORN. KITCH. Archive footage of jamie oliver cooking chilli. Thought 'I'll give that a go'. he used tinned kidney beans.
    my question is this: is there anything gained by going for the dry version in bags - the sort you have to soak?
    I'm male and not expected to know about these sort of things...................

thanx.
    miladdo
  • wigginsmum
    • 19th Aug 06, 2:47 PM
    • 19th Aug 06, 2:47 PM
    Personally I don't think so - you'd have to soak/boil them before you can use them, and the 'wind power' can be phenomenal. Stick to tinned, in my opinion.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • Seakay
    • By Seakay 19th Aug 06, 2:48 PM
    • 4,173 Posts
    • 10,055 Thanks
    Seakay
    • 19th Aug 06, 2:48 PM
    • 19th Aug 06, 2:48 PM
    You do save a bit of money by buying dried beans, unless you have access to an Asian grocers where there always seems to be a good collection of very cheap tinned pulses.
    There are a few dangers associated with undercooked kidney beans, so I include the following instructions:

Red kidney beans: Incidents of food poisoning have been reported associated with the consumption of raw or undercooked red kidney beans. Symptoms may develop after eating only four raw beans and include nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain followed by diarrhoea. A naturally occurring haemaglutin is responsible for the illness, but can be destroyed by high temperature cooking, making the beans completely safe to eat. For this reason, kidney beans must not be sprouted. Kidney beans should be soaked for at least 8 hours in enough cold water to keep them covered. After soaking, drain and rinse the beans, discarding the soaking water. Put them into a pan with cold water to cover and bring to the boil. The beans must now boil for 10 minutes to destroy the toxin. After this the beans should be simmered until cooked (approximately 45-60 minutes) and they should have an even creamy texture throughout - if the centre is still hard and white, they require longer cooking.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 19th Aug 06, 7:08 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    • 19th Aug 06, 7:08 PM
    • 19th Aug 06, 7:08 PM
    I prefer dried, once you have got used to them, try tinned onesagain and EUCK - too much added salt and sugar, and even economy ones are not usually as cheap as dried. I get mine from an indian grocers.

You can soak a load and then freeze the soaked beans.

OP so what if you are male, you should know about these things!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    • 19th Aug 06, 7:26 PM
    • 19th Aug 06, 7:26 PM
    I also prefer the dried.
    I've a pressure cooker and follow Miss Vickie's pressure cooking pulses instructions
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 21st Aug 06, 5:34 PM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    • 21st Aug 06, 5:34 PM
    • 21st Aug 06, 5:34 PM
    I have a combo of both. When I am in super-planning-ahead mode I soak, boil, simmer a whole bag at a time and freeze the excess. As others have said, this way you can enjoy them firmer and without the salt/sugar added to the tinned ones.

I also always keep tinned ones in stock because they are a handy standby. Personally I always think chilli tastes better the day after it is cooked, once the flavours have developed. That means that, if you are doing it the soak/boil/simmer method it can be 2 days between first fancying a chilli and sitting down to eat it!

You can add kidney beans to all sorts of dishes apart from chilli, and if you blend them in a food processor with a chopped sauteed onion and a bit of garlic and a few spices you can make a lovely bean dip - great served warm or chilled as a dip at parties.
    • cashsaver
    • By cashsaver 1st Nov 06, 11:08 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    cashsaver
    Soaking dried kidney beans... how long pls?
    No instuctions on the packet:confused: ... I have soaked them overnight but as I am about to use them, my friend tells me 24 hours is the time to soak!

They haven't swollen/exxpaanded very much. Any advice pls.... don't really want to poison the inlaws!!!

Claire
    • Annando
    • By Annando 1st Nov 06, 11:12 AM
    • 459 Posts
    • 259 Thanks
    Annando
    I usually cook dry black beans, I suppose they are the same.
    I soak them in boiling water and leave it for about 30 minutes or 2 hours depending on what else I'm doing around the house. They tend to expand.
    I then cook them in a pressure cooker for 30 or 45 minutes with the water in which they were soaked. Add loads of other stuff and its DELICIOUS!!!!
    Let me know if you need the recipe!
    • cashsaver
    • By cashsaver 1st Nov 06, 11:16 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 1,704 Thanks
    cashsaver
    Oh lord........ I soaked them in cold water!!! That's why they haven't expanded!!! thank you, I will be back later with progress report!!
  • WelshWoofer
    Kidney beans
    I have just had a stocktake and I have 5 tins of red kidney beans!
    Other than bunging them in a chilli what else can I use them for? To make matters more difficult I'm a veggie!
    Please help, bearing in mind I am a rubbish cook!

Thanks in advance
    Rachel.
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • tankgirl1
    • By tankgirl1 8th Nov 06, 9:04 PM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 5,065 Thanks
    tankgirl1
    i use them in veggie stews and they are yum!

chop up some onion, potato, veg and quorn fillets. add a tin of kidney beans and some frozen peas. crumble over a couple of stock cubes, and some mixed herbs. cover with water, and sling it in the oven (or slow cooker).

Yummy, easy peasy and good for you
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
    • tankgirl1
    • By tankgirl1 8th Nov 06, 9:06 PM
    • 4,115 Posts
    • 5,065 Thanks
    tankgirl1
    also use them to bulk up other things too, like shepherds pie or spag bog....... made with soya mince
    I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

RIP POOCH 5/09/94 - 17/09/07
  • tr3mor
    Absolutely any stew or anything with Mince in.
  • middleman
    Don't know if you eat fish, but I had a lovely salady thing in a restaurant once. Tuna, kidney beans and thinly sliced red onions with some kind of vinagrette.
  • Ted_Hutchinson
    Kidney beans

Kidney bean curry
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,194Posts Today

7,883Users online

Martin's Twitter