Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • By 16011996 13th Sep 04, 6:51 PM
    • 8,140Posts
    • 3,704Thanks
    MARKED SHOWER TRAY
    • 13th Sep 04, 6:51 PM
    MARKED SHOWER TRAY 13th Sep 04 at 6:51 PM
    Hi,

as most of you know have moved, and the shower tray has yukky mark round plughole, is sort of yellowish? any ideas for getting it off, don't want to damage the plughule (is stainless steel i think, tray is white.)
Page 1
  • cathy
    • 14th Sep 04, 1:49 AM
    Re: MARKED SHOWER TRAY
    • 14th Sep 04, 1:49 AM
    bleach??

if you dont want to use bleach put a plug in or bung up the hole
    then put a tablespoon of bicarb onto it add half mug of vinegar

or use the peroxide mix I gave for cleaning the bath

• By 16011996 14th Sep 04, 11:00 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 14th Sep 04, 11:00 AM
    Re: MARKED SHOWER TRAY
    • 14th Sep 04, 11:00 AM
    wasn't sure if bleach would damage the plug hole. will give it a bash though.
    • mateyboy
    • By mateyboy 3rd Jan 05, 10:55 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    mateyboy
    • 3rd Jan 05, 10:55 PM
    stains In plastic  shower tray  
    • 3rd Jan 05, 10:55 PM
    Hi

Ive got a plasic shower tray - and over the past few months, ive noticed I have yellow stains like scum in the grooves of the tray - Ive tried all the household cleaning bits and bobs but It wont shift it .

has anybody got any suggestions

Thanks
    • Glad
    • By Glad 4th Jan 05, 8:54 AM
    • 17,931 Posts
    • 39,849 Thanks
    Glad
    • 4th Jan 05, 8:54 AM
    Re: stains In plastic !shower tray !
    • 4th Jan 05, 8:54 AM
    if you can block up the outlet
    try filling the tray with water and a few steradent and leaving overnight

or if not use an old toothbrush to brush on some thick bleach and leave for a while
    • mateyboy
    • By mateyboy 4th Jan 05, 1:45 PM
    • 118 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    mateyboy
    • 4th Jan 05, 1:45 PM
    • 4th Jan 05, 1:45 PM
    thanks for that ill have a go tonight
    • elona
    • By elona 4th Jan 05, 3:05 PM
    • 11,064 Posts
    • 62,709 Thanks
    elona
    • 4th Jan 05, 3:05 PM
    • 4th Jan 05, 3:05 PM
    Bleach is all right if it is a white shower tray but if not you are in trouble.

I used a solution of white vinegar and water - heated it up in microwave then put it in spray bottle and sprayed the stains - left for 30 mins or longer then scubbed off residue with miracle cloth.(a cloth with little raised dots to reach crevices)

It worked really well
    • Whitefiver
    • By Whitefiver 4th Jan 05, 9:08 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    Whitefiver
    • 4th Jan 05, 9:08 PM
    • 4th Jan 05, 9:08 PM
    I find Astonish cream on one of those pads with green nylon type scourer attached works for me. Maybe not the first time, but after a couple of goes......

I clean up after a shower, so rather than bend down, I use my foot on top of the pad to do the scrubbing! :P

Also gets the water marks off the glass door too.

Astonish may well be available in some of your local discount stores. Our "Home Bargains" has it at 85p, and lasts for ages.

Very mildly abrasive, so take care on plastic bases.

Regards,

Tim S.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 4th Jan 05, 10:09 PM
    • 17,931 Posts
    • 39,849 Thanks
    Glad
    • 4th Jan 05, 10:09 PM
    • 4th Jan 05, 10:09 PM
    I use bleach solution on my cream coloured bath
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 4th Jan 05, 11:28 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    I have a pale cream shower tray with lots of little grooves that are hard to clean. I can't block my drain outlet, so I use old fashioned vim (with bleach) . Whilst the tray is still wet, I sprinkle it liberally around. Cos it's a powder, it stays put. I leave for as long as I can - overnight sometimes, then I scrub it with a dish brush. (No, not the one from the kitchen ;D ) Good rinse and it's clean. Also, it's easy to see the bits you've missed, so just sprinkle on them next time.
  • gotan
    Can I clean my shower tray or must I replace it?
    Part of my white plastic shower tray has gone pink. I do clean it but nothing gets the pink off - no, I don't dye my hair pink in the shower but can't vouch for what's in my aussie shampoo

Have tried stardrops, bleach and ordinary cleaners which have no effect. It is starting to look seriously manky but I'm not wanting to replace it in the next few months due to other expenses. Can anyone help please?

many thanks.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Mar 07, 1:30 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi grotan,

It's limescale. Pour on some neat vinegar, rub with a cloth rinse off and then clean as you normally do.

Pink
  • janeym8
    ive got a wet floor shower where the drain is directly in the floor and it is white plastic-it started to look really grubby andnothing even bleach would clean it.i tried toilet cleaner-you know the one that you squirt under the rim-dont ask how i discovered this lol,and low and behold is now sparkling white.living in this area we have no limescale

janey xxx
    LIFE IS FOR LIVING-I`VE LEARNT THAT THE HARD WAY
    • angchris
    • By angchris 27th Mar 07, 11:46 PM
    • 1,159 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    angchris
    try a bit of cif cream and elbow grease, my bath had a rust stain :confused: on it for years which i couldnt get out, low and behold the first time i used cif it came out!
    proper prior planning prevents p!$$ poor performance!
    Only when the last tree has died and the last river been poisoned and the last fish been caught will we realise we cannot eat money
    quote from an american indian.
    • Wee Bargain Hunter
    • By Wee Bargain Hunter 28th Mar 07, 12:16 AM
    • 961 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    Wee Bargain Hunter
    Try blocking plug hole (i used an old plastic bag) & fill up with hot water & disolving bio washing powder in it. just leave overnight. will get rid of some of the pink stuff without even scrubbing it!

prevention: when you've cleaned it, just put the shower head to the jet setting (ie the most powerful) & direct around the shower tray every time you have a shower.
  • gotan
    Thanks to everyone. I posted , then lost this thread!
    I will try white vinegar - is any kind ok - and if that doesn't work, washing powder. I've tried all type of cream cleaners without any luck.
    The shower room has no window and an extractor which makes a lot of noise but is utterly useless.
    The shower head is fixed. The whole shower is a mouldy, pink grothole.
    • V.Lucky
    • By V.Lucky 30th Mar 07, 8:50 PM
    • 796 Posts
    • 744 Thanks
    V.Lucky
    Not very oldstyle but Dettox Limescale and Mould Remover is fab.

Our bathroom is very damp and works on our mold a treat.
    • Mr Proctalgia
    • By Mr Proctalgia 30th Mar 07, 9:59 PM
    • 961 Posts
    • 818 Thanks
    Mr Proctalgia
    Also not OS at all, but it IS limescale dyed by soap, shampoo and dead skin etc etc. Cilit Bang gets it straight off.

HTH
    The quicker you fall behind, the longer you have to catch up...
    • dannahaz
    • By dannahaz 30th Mar 07, 11:37 PM
    • 1,069 Posts
    • 4,413 Thanks
    dannahaz
    Also not OS at all, but it IS limescale dyed by soap, shampoo and dead skin etc etc. Cilit Bang gets it straight off.

HTH
    Originally posted by Mr Proctalgia
    Isn't it the law that any mention of that product has to be done in a very loud voice?. Capitals at least, supersized if possible?
  • Juicy_Tube
    I swear by Viakal.

FYI Tesco have 3 for 2 on a lot of cleaning products-not that you need this info here

JT x
    It's great in here!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

134Posts Today

1,297Users online

Martin's Twitter