Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 16th May 06, 9:00 PM
    • 19,316Posts
    • 19,870Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    The sandwich piggy
    • 16th May 06, 9:00 PM
    The sandwich piggy 16th May 06 at 9:00 PM
    OK folks, here it is! Your sandwich pig to save money!

RULES

1. A 'pig' is something you keep money in. It does not have to be pink, round, or go oink. You may however be tempted to 'feed' something that looks cute more regularly. Sandwich pigs (SP) rule!

2. Each time you eat a home made lunch (HML) at work, deposit the money you have saved in your SP. The ideal amount to deposit each day is worked out by the following formula:

SPI - actual cost of food = amount saved, which should be fed to your SP.

The SPI is the Sandwich Price Index, which is the cost of an averagely tasty sandwich and banana. At the time of writing, the SPI (London) stands at 2.75. If you work in the City or in another particularly expensive conurbation, the SPI is 4. The SPI will be updated from time to time to reflect the RPI, price of bananas, and particularly persuasive arguments from other MSEs.

3. The definition of HML includes lunches assembled at work from raw ingredients (SP owners are generally advised to buy the raw ingredients in supermarkets near their home, rather than running the risk of price inflation in city centre shops). HML also include instant meals cooked on the work premises, always assuming that the instant meal is cheap enough to render the SPI a positive amount!

4. The author is a largish sandwich-pig farmer who does not particularly want to hear about people's success in going without lunch altogether. Lunch is the most important meal of the day for those of us who never get it together to eat breakfast, or are not hungry at that time of day!

5. You have not failed if you buy the occasional sandwich, or have to go out with your mates to celebrate important work-related issues such as the boss's budgie's birthday. Count your savings and rejoice!

6. Go on, you know you want to - update your signature now!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
Page 1
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 16th May 06, 9:02 PM
    • 24,746 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    • 16th May 06, 9:02 PM
    • 16th May 06, 9:02 PM
    Top plan JM

Sadly Ive no budget for luches any more, as its amalgamated into the weekly grocery shop- but a fab idea for newbies!

And surely, dont forget, the extras, crisps, chocolate, drinks etc.

Ive saved somewhere in the region of 130 per month by taking my own lunch in, all the best to everyone doing the lunch pig challenge!!!
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
    • savingpennies
    • By savingpennies 16th May 06, 9:11 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 4,230 Thanks
    savingpennies
    • 16th May 06, 9:11 PM
    • 16th May 06, 9:11 PM
    I'm trying very hard to take my lunch to work and not buy it from work. Most days I succeed. Today I didn't and it cost me 3. Trouble is if I buy a sandwich at work and then I am also tempted to buy other things: that packet of crisps, that snack bar. It's not doing the waistline any good either. Seeing the pennies/pounds mount up in a sandwich pig might just do the trick and I can always put the proceeds into the mortgage pig later. Great idea!
    Books - the original virtual reality.

2017 in 2017: 2198.89
    2018 in 2018: 52.98
    2018 2 savers club:46
    • charlie007
    • By charlie007 16th May 06, 11:04 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    charlie007
    • 16th May 06, 11:04 PM
    • 16th May 06, 11:04 PM
    i have manyaged five days out of seven so far, not bad by my standards and the mornings lunch is in the fridge. I spend about 3.50 as i am awful and always buy sandwich, choc. fruit and a paper. That means so far i have saved 24.50. Will put it some of it to good use and treat myself to a piggy bank.
    Mortgage free Start amount feb 2014 227000. Current amount nov 2014 217000.

Challenges 2015
    No alcohol January. No spend February
    Write down all spends over the whole year
  • wishingonastar
    • 17th May 06, 7:54 AM
    • 17th May 06, 7:54 AM
    saw this thread last night, and was inspired to make some lunch and bring it in with me today. normally spend about £2.75 for a sandwich and a cake. so now i just need a recepticle for the money. wonder how long i'll keep it up for. will amend my signature.
    thanks for the inspiration to do this, much appreciated.
    2 saver club 30th sept 198 2 coins = 396(350 banked)
    • **purpleprincess**
    • By **purpleprincess** 17th May 06, 11:13 AM
    • 3,516 Posts
    • 3,845 Thanks
    **purpleprincess**
    • 17th May 06, 11:13 AM
    • 17th May 06, 11:13 AM
    Excellent jobbingmusician!! Funny when someone takes my advice, makes me feel weird!! I look forward to seeing how much you save. It's good when you can see it mounting up!!

Good luck!!
    Official DFW Nerd no. 082!
    Debt @ 01/01/2014 16,956 Debt now: 0.00
    Aims: clear debt, get married, buy a house ALL DONE!!
  • wishingonastar
    • 18th May 06, 10:23 AM
    • 18th May 06, 10:23 AM
    second day and i've got my packed lunch with me. do you know yesterday i enjoyed my lunch more than i have in weeks. the andwich didn't taste plastic like they mornally do, lol.
  • themaccas
    • 18th May 06, 10:51 AM
    • 18th May 06, 10:51 AM
    Great idea for newbies but wouldn't work for us, we have been taking packed lunches to work for the last 18 years!
    Debtfree JUNE 2008 - Thank you MSE
  • wishingonastar
    • 19th May 06, 8:46 AM
    • 19th May 06, 8:46 AM
    day three and packed lunch again. i feel almost organsised, lol.
  • nabowla
    What a brilliant idea!!!

My first thought was "I can't possibly afford to do this". Then I realised that I've been buying lunch/coffees/chocolate most days for the past month due to the fact that I'm deeply unhappy at work. So how can I afford to buy lunches when I can't afford to put money into a sandwich pig? Go figure!

I'm going to start a Pret Pig to collect money every time I resist the temptation to buy something from a well-known sandwich chain close to work. I can't afford to save the money up long-term as I'm overspending right now but the plan is to fund my weekly spending (cinema, going out etc) from the Pret Pig. If there's nothing in the pig, I don't go out! That should motivate me to organise HM lunches every day
  • fizzel81
    THis is a good idea as i dont work i cannot really do it but its a good idea for anyone who regulary buys lunch
    DFW nerd club number 039 'Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts' i will be debt free aug 2010

2008 live on 4k +cb 6,247.98/6282.80
    sealed pot 2670g
    2009 target 4k + cb 643.89 /6412.80
  • pagan705
    Good Idea but I can't be bothered to make sandwiches anymore ...I take cereal to work for lunch cos its quick easy, healthy ...& I don't even have to supply the milk although today I'm taking leftover Tuna & past salad & an avacado
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 19th May 06, 1:07 PM
    • 19,316 Posts
    • 19,870 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    It could be called a cereal piggy if you like - the name 'sandwich' only comes from the fact that you are avoiding expensive commercially produced sandwiches

I did wonder if some people on here would make quite a lot of money by throwing the contents of a 'Starbucks' piggy into their mortgage!!!
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    • Floss
    • By Floss 19th May 06, 2:53 PM
    • 4,903 Posts
    • 45,645 Thanks
    Floss
    Can I call mine a Starbies Chocolate Chip Muffin Pig then? He would only get fed at weekends tho....maybe should have 2.....are they supposed to breed like that?
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 22nd May 06, 11:34 AM
    • 19,316 Posts
    • 19,870 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    I think a row of healthy, well-fed little piggies on the mantlepiece is an asset to any room!!!

• wishingonastar
    packed lunch for me again today, though no sandwich, ave brought last of last nights pasta and some fruit. quite looking forward to it, lol. four days, will it last??? i hope so, putting a crisp £10 in my piggy this morning to make up todays amount, was quite thrilling, lol.
  • Mirtos
    Damn. I just wrote this once then lost it!
    My sandwich pig is my egg credit card!
    Today I have home made lentil soup in a thermos, with dried fruit and walnuts for pudding and two malted milk biscuits as a snack! Yum yum.
    The soup is amazing - make up a batch at the beginning of the week and it'll keep for 5-6 days in the fridge!

Recipe:
    250 gr green lentils
    1 large onion finely chopped or grated
    1 large/ 2 small tomatoes finely chopped or grated
    2tblsp olive oil
    1 clove garlic
    2 bayleaves if you have them but not essential!
    2 vegetable oxo cubes
    salt to taste
    2pints water.wack it all in a pan and boil for an hour, stirring occasionally and topping up water if necessary. done. yum yum.
    Last edited by Mirtos; 05-06-2006 at 11:21 AM.
    Official Debt Free Wannabe Nerd Club member 095! Debt Now:
    M&S 5000 2071.49 - 3.9% |Cahoot Loan 8646.96 7453.24 - 5.8%| Barclays OD 2250.00 991.99 - 0% Halifax Card 1620.60 - 0% Savings: 927.59
    Grand Total = 22,540 11,209.73 Total paid off since 31st May '06 = 11,330.27 Semi-DFD Dec'07?
    Savings for temporary unemployment fund: 763.05 @ 8%, 164.54@ 4% Total savings: 927.59

18k Challenge 18,934.21 11,209.73 to go!
    Proud to be dealing with my debt.
  • postingalwaysposting
    great idea for new 'take lunch to work' people, but i have been doing it all my working life i once forgot my lunch and had a plastic sandwich and got food poisioning, never again

• oOMiaOo
    This idea rocks!

I dread to think how much I've spent on lunches (and, I confess sheepishly, breakfasts too), not to mention my new-found Caramel Macchiato addiction (damn our office move! We're now right next to Starbies).

I've been much better recently at making brekkies and lunches, but it would be nice to see that saved money mounting up. Thanx for the tip on buying food locally - I often get my lunch fodder in the city, which I'm sure is more expensive.

My SPI is going to be 4 - I work at Old Street, and that is the amount we give our interns for lunch, so seems reasonable.

I might even come over all creative and make a papier mache sandwich pig - will post pic if it works!
  • oOMiaOo
    And thanx for the soup recipe Mirtos - soup is on the meal plan this week and your recipe fits right into my storecupboard challenge!

I love it when a plan comes together...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,428Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin