Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Penny-Pincher!!
    In search of the perfect cooked breakfast!
    • 16th May 06, 7:01 PM
    In search of the perfect cooked breakfast! 16th May 06 at 7:01 PM
    Evening All

I am in search of cooking the perfect breakfast/brunch.

We normally have one 1-2 times a month, but never seem to time it very well, sausages over cooked/dry and bacon chewy So how do you plan yours?

Do you fry, oven cook or grill the sausages and bacon? I normally cook mushrooms in a little butter but was thinking of oven cooking from raw-would this work? Normally serve:

Sausage
    Back Bacon unsmoked
    Hash Brown (cooked in oven from frozen)
    Mushrooms
    Beans
    Egg (fried or scrambled)
    Tomato for OH (cut in half and lightly fried)
    Occasionally a fried slice

Really dont want that greasy taste and want it all tasting fresh but not fatty. ATM I cook the sausages/hash browns in the oven (put them on first), mushroom in a little butter, bacon in frying butter (small knob of butter), beans in pan or MW, tomato (cut in half and fried gently), fried bread (brush with oil on either side and dry fry)-dont want it soggy with fat. Eggs either scrambled or fried and flipped.

I just can never time it all correctly. So how do you do yours?

Thanks in advance.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
Page 1
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 16th May 06, 7:31 PM
    • 20,541 Posts
    • 34,306 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 16th May 06, 7:31 PM
    • 16th May 06, 7:31 PM
    We do the bacon and sausages in the George Foreman. Everything else is got ready eg beans in the pan ready to be heated at last minute. Don't have hash browns cos no ones keen on them. Have toast or bread and butter not fried and not very good at getting toast warm to table (is only 2 slice toaster). We have oven cooked mushrooms from raw before. I think the bigger mushrooms taste better cooked this way. Fried eggs are done at the very last minut and then as I cut kids food up at the table OH does our eggs.
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 16th May 06, 7:41 PM
    • 10,241 Posts
    • 16,858 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 16th May 06, 7:41 PM
    • 16th May 06, 7:41 PM
    Only done a "full English" once, for visitors (Irish ) who were off to catch the ferry home.

We grilled a pack of bacon, while scrambling eggs in the microwave, and had 3 saucepans of tinned mushrooms, beans and tomatoes on the hob. We have a 4-slice and a 2-slice toaster so they were on the go twice.

It all came together okay, but I wouldn't recommend it for a stress free exercise! No sausages sorry - that would have been a challenge too far!
    I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe

• misty
    • By misty 16th May 06, 7:45 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    misty
    • 16th May 06, 7:45 PM
    • 16th May 06, 7:45 PM
    For me the perfect cooked breakfast is prepared by someone else!! never as good if i have to faff about doing it myself.

Bacon back rindless - grilled, crispy
    egg - scrambled or fried(no runny middle)
    mushrooms in a tiny bit of butter
    beans,
    tomato - grilled
    fried bread - little bit of oil then grilled under toaster
    didn't have sausages for years cos of what goes in them but brill butcher now get pork and tomato - stabbed then grilled.

yum yum
    • reverie
    • By reverie 16th May 06, 7:54 PM
    • 427 Posts
    • 2,114 Thanks
    reverie
    • 16th May 06, 7:54 PM
    • 16th May 06, 7:54 PM
    Oh Penny Pincher, that sounds so appealing!

If you fancy an easier option, Jamie Oliver fries the sausages, bacon, mushrooms and tomatoes in one big frying pan. (Give the sausages a head start). Then he breaks eggs around them in the pan. You have to line the stuff up in the pan so you cut it and end up with a bit of everything for each person. Then serve it with thick slices of lightly toasted bloomer bread with butter on, big pot of tea and lots of brown sauce.

Very nice and easy peasy.
    • Essex-girl
    • By Essex-girl 16th May 06, 7:59 PM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 46,632 Thanks
    Essex-girl
    • 16th May 06, 7:59 PM
    • 16th May 06, 7:59 PM
    I cook bacon sausages eggs mushrooms and fried slice about every other week. Once everything bar the eggs are done I put it in a low oven to keep warm. I then fry the eggs for each person - ie kids first then oh then mine so we dont sit down and eat at exactly the same time but it tastes better that way.

Dont do fried egg but do eggy bread/french toast once in a while.

Im feeling really hungry now!
  • outrageous_monkey
    • 16th May 06, 8:02 PM
    • 16th May 06, 8:02 PM
    This is how I cook a full(ish) english. BTW I cook it on a really big electric griddle plate. That way I can fit every thing on.

Sausages on first, when they are about half way cooked I then add the back (smoked back bacon for us). After a min or 2 I then add thick cut mushrooms and half cut tomatoes (I like them to be slightly caramalised((is that the right word??)), I will then put the beans in the microwave. I like my bacon crispy. Thats it. Plus we eat it more when we are in the caravan on holiday, always tastes better when your on your hols and outside.

Meant to say, when I put the mushrooms and tomatoes on I then add the eggs. Like I said, its a huge griddle plate so everything fits on. Plus no fat or butter added at all.
    Last edited by outrageous_monkey; 16-05-2006 at 8:07 PM.
    I also remember the words of my friends, but I would rather have enemies than friends like you

would like to make it known that ZubeZubes avvy is a DHN, she's not dancing
  • Jay-Jay
    • 16th May 06, 8:06 PM
    • 16th May 06, 8:06 PM
    I use loads of ovenware, pans and dishes for this but I get it all out while it's hot so I don't mind (and also because DH does the washing up )

I put the sausages in the oven first

Then slice the mushrooms and put them in a medium frying pan (no fat) and put a large saucepan lid on so that they sweat.

Beans go in a dish ready for the micro

Tinned tomatoes go in a dish for the micro (yuk.... these are for hubby)

Cut the fat from the bacon with scissors and put the large frying pan on with a few drops of oil.

Put the small frying pan on a very low heat ready for the eggs.

Bread goes in the toaster ready to switch on.

Bacon goes in the pan and cooks, this first lot is put on a plate at the bottom of the oven with tin foil over.

Eggs go into the small pan and are left on minimum heat

Press start on micro (beans)

Next lot of bacon goes onto the plate in the oven

Take lid off mushrooms and stir in a bit of butter, keep on a low heat.

Flip eggs

Take beans out, put tomatoes in micro

Switch off oven

All food is plated up and put back in oven to keep hot and then toaster is switched on. If the kids are having some I take theirs through now so that hubby can get them seated first.

Sort cups of tea out, get cutlery, salt and pepper, butter toast and put all food onto a tray ready to deliver to hubby (and kids toast)

While I'm taking hubby's through I put more toast in for me

voila
    Just run, run and keep on running!

• twink
    • By twink 16th May 06, 8:18 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    • 16th May 06, 8:18 PM
    • 16th May 06, 8:18 PM
    my way would be to do the hash browns, bacon, tomato and beans in the oven then sausage and mushroom in frying pan and poach the eggs, wouldnt have a fried slice tho i love them but would probably need another pan for that, blimey my mouth is watering now
  • shammyjack
    I have a huge double sided cast iron griddle plate that spans the full width of the oven top covering 2 gas rings, one side is flat the other is ribbed for steaks etc .

Using the flat surface I turn on 2 gas rings and have one fairly high and one on low, this means I have hot and cooler areas so everything goes on and if cooking too fast I just move it to a cooler spot, eggs of course go on last cooked in the bacon fat.

I live alone but when I have guests it can handle breakfast for 6 with ease.

shammy
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 16th May 06, 9:31 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 24,069 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    i normally find having a willing slave helps (to lay the table, carry things back and forth, stir this, check on that )

i think making use of the microwave is a great idea. scrambled eggs are an easy 3 minute job, as are poached eggs.

other than that, the secret really does come down to timing..just like a perfect sunday roast really.

for those feeling decadent, and under the school of thought that someone else's always tastes nicer , i think bhs cannot be beaten for the value offered by their cooked breakkie. and, whats more..no washing up
    know thyself

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • singlehouseholder
    • By singlehouseholder 17th May 06, 7:49 AM
    • 1,075 Posts
    • 624 Thanks
    singlehouseholder
    I agree with Spendless, the formeanator is the only way to go, they are the dogs!! My bloke's bacon and sausages has never been easier to cook- i'm a veggy so I put my veggy sausages in the oven with a couple of waffles for about 20mins before I get the meat on the go. You'd be surprised at the amount of fat that comes out of your sausages and bacon- a friend of mine used to put the bacon fat in his beans, not for me, but apparently it tastes good...I'd invest in a geroge foreman- or a copy one, you can get them for about a tenner now, they're ideal, especially with the BBQ season coming up- perfoect for british weather, bbq indoors!!
    Cooked brekky, hmm,pure induilgence on a sunday morning- me gobs watering....
    • WeirdoMagnet
    • By WeirdoMagnet 17th May 06, 8:13 AM
    • 990 Posts
    • 2,968 Thanks
    WeirdoMagnet
    I'd do the sausies in the oven, so I knew they were done. Add the Hash Browns about half way thru. Then turn the oven right down, so they are just keeping warm. Warm plates in oven too. Then I'd fry the bacon in a non-stick pan (no oil/butter, as it'll produce it's own). Toms halved and fried in the same pan as the bacon if you have room. Mushrooms in a saucepan with a bit of butter. Beans in microwave. Dish up, then use bacon pan to fry eggs (or microwave if scrambled).

I guess it is down to timing, and if you do it regularly it's difficult to say how long each thing takes as you are so used to it! Maybe you could do it how Nigella does her big Sunday Roast - write down the time each item takes to cook, then list it in order so you know what you are doing when. So it'd go something like...

9.15am - Put Sausages in oven
    9.35am - Put Hash Browns in oven
    10.00am - Serve

I'm starving now!
  • lily the pink
    I grill everything except the eggs and mushrooms - start off with sausages (give them a 10 minute head start), then put the tomato and bacon on. If doing for more than 2, would do some on George Foreman but personally prefer grilled. Mushrooms I would start when I have turned the bacon, and leave the eggs until the last minute - I tend to have these cooking away while I am serving up the rest. I dont do hash browns but I would grill these too even if the instructions say oven bake (I have done in the past).

Only do this occaisionally now, so use really good bacon and sausage as this makes all the difference (particularly the sausage which I will only buy from my butchers now). Ditto eggs - makes a real difference having good eggs as they actually taste of egg.
  • leonie
    I agree with Lily the pink about the quality of materials.

I make a fry up using home made sausages.. all meat and I know whats gone into them. Thick sliced bacon from a butcher. Eggs fresh from my hens that morning and a huge piece of homemade bread!

I dont use a microwave for beans etc, I prefer to heat them on the hob, and everything is cooked in big cast iron pans.

A real treat!
    • MATH
    • By MATH 17th May 06, 11:25 AM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    We have a 'cooked' breakfast every day when we are at the coast. I can no longer call it fried because due to zelous calorie counting very little is actually fried anymore LOL

We don't eat sausage at chez MATH so I never serve that, we usually have (after cereal of course LOL).

Bacon cooked on a rack in the micro, no added fat and all the bacon fat drains away. It really does come out brown and crispy.

Eggs I poached or scrambled.

Toast (this replaces the fired bread or hash brown I used to make).

Baked beans and chopped tomatoes.

Mushrooms, potato cubes and onion slices cooked in the micro to soften and sauted in a little oil.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
  • Icemaiden
    Don't forget the Black pudding or is it us northerns that only include this???
    • soba
    • By soba 17th May 06, 1:22 PM
    • 1,435 Posts
    • 6,543 Thanks
    soba
    I have a huge double sided cast iron griddle plate that spans the full width of the oven top covering 2 gas rings, one side is flat the other is ribbed for steaks etc .
    by shammyjack
    Have to agree with the cast iron skillet. We've got one that spans two burners and a smaller round one (about 10") that we use most of the time. It's the bees knees for breakfasts, and we also take it camping with us. It cooks fantastic steaks and brekkies, in fact it's our most used kitchen item. Perhaps it's greatest plus point is that it doesn't need washing, just running under how water.

• Noozan
    We have grill ups in our house! I have a large grillpan that's the same size as the grill itself.

Put sausages in first and let them get a 5 min head start.
    Put beans in a jug, in microwave, ready to heat later.
    Bread sitting in toaster. Fill kettle with water.
    Add hash browns, sliced haggis and sliced sausage to grill pan.
    Add field mushrooms, dotted with butter. (Or if I'm using small mushrooms, they get sliced and done is frying pan with butter)
    Cut a cross in top of whole tomato, grind of black pepper - onto grillpan.
    When everything is nearly cooked, I shove it all to one side of the grill pan and add back bacon.
    Fire on oil for eggs. Flick kettle on.
    Heat beans. Pop bread down. Fry eggs, basting the top as I hate the tops "naked" lol
    Dish up whilst Dh makes tea/coffee and pours out OJ.
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
    • Shamish
    • By Shamish 17th May 06, 9:03 PM
    • 332 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Shamish
    Mines has to be

Polony,
    Sausages,
    Black Pudding,
    Hash Brown,
    Heinz Beans,
    Thick Sliced smoked Bacon,
    Fried Egg,
    Lorne Sausage
    And my favourite Dumpling

All cooked at the same time on my massive George Foreman Griddle and Grill

Beans in the micro and hash brown in the Oven
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

204Posts Today

2,122Users online

Martin's Twitter