Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    woolie1946
    Beware - Domestic Appliance Direct!!!!!
    • 3rd Oct 09, 12:22 PM
    Beware - Domestic Appliance Direct!!!!! 3rd Oct 09 at 12:22 PM
    DAD or Domestic Appliance Direct appear to be an entirely fraudulent internet company who don't deliver orders and also take money from your card to line their pockets.

On 9th Sept I ordered (via their secure payment site) a breadmaker costing 76.99, paying by Mastercard. When nothing had been delivered after two weeks I e-mailed to ask what was happening and received a very polite reply saying that the item was out of stock, but offering a 15% refund if I was prepared to wait another two weeks for delivery on the 2nd October. I agreed, but yesterday nothing arrived! Getting suspicious I searched the net and found that I was not the only person in this situation. Smelling a rat I logged onto my credit card account to find that on 30th September the same company had made not one, but TWO transactions on my account for 599.99!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have now posted a notice on their website pleading financial difficulties are preventing them from fulfilling orders, yet I'm the one with the financial difficulties!

I immediately stopped my card and am now trying to organise some sort of collective action by all those affected via Trading Standards, Watchdog and any other appropriate route. Can Martin help us in any way to make this more effective and stop these fraudsters in their tracks?
Page 1
    • darkcloudi
    • By darkcloudi 3rd Oct 09, 12:36 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    darkcloudi
    • 3rd Oct 09, 12:36 PM
    • 3rd Oct 09, 12:36 PM
    If you paid by Mastercard, I will assume you used a credit card why not ask the credit card company to reclaim the fraudlent transactions. Just tell them about what had happended and they can recover your costs.

I don't believe you need to go through some form of collective action through trading standards as you suggest.
  • sharpy2010
    • 3rd Oct 09, 4:31 PM
    • 3rd Oct 09, 4:31 PM
    Can Martin help us in any way to make this more effective and stop these fraudsters in their tracks?
    Originally posted by woolie1946
    They might not even be fraudsters. They may be a genuine company with good intentions who have seen some bad luck. That doesnt explain the extra money they have debited, but it could be a mistake.

Good luck getting your money back though!
    • Jemma-T
    • By Jemma-T 4th Oct 09, 8:35 AM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Jemma-T
    • 4th Oct 09, 8:35 AM
    • 4th Oct 09, 8:35 AM
    Looks like we'll all have to guess the URL and waste time looking for it.

Dodgy, fraud and simply having problems isn't the same thing.
  • sharpy2010
    • 4th Oct 09, 4:06 PM
    • 4th Oct 09, 4:06 PM
    It wasnt particularly easy to find the URL either, took me about 5 minutes of searching...

However, that was yesterday, and I've no intention of looking for it again!
  • rsykes2000
    • 4th Oct 09, 4:20 PM
    • 4th Oct 09, 4:20 PM
    Extremely easy to find the URL, I typed in www.domesticappliancedirect.co.uk and it worked. Took approx 10 seconds of typing.
  • oldone
    • 4th Oct 09, 4:30 PM
    • 4th Oct 09, 4:30 PM
    Taking two payments of 599.99 for an order value of 76.99 is not a misfortune,error,bad luck or due to banks calling in their funds - it is fraud and theft pure and simple.
    • Jemma-T
    • By Jemma-T 5th Oct 09, 8:17 AM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Jemma-T
    • 5th Oct 09, 8:17 AM
    • 5th Oct 09, 8:17 AM
    ...took me about 5 minutes of searching...
    Originally posted by sharpy2010
    Extremely easy to find the URL, I typed in www.domesticappliancedirect.co.uk and it worked. Took approx 10 seconds of typing.
    Originally posted by rsykes2000
    5 minutes or 10 seconds multiplied by at least 212 people who've opened this thread. That's a LOT of wasted time.

However, that was yesterday, and I've no intention of looking for it again!
    by sharpy
    Exactly.

And on my first visit via that very handy hyperlink:

Dear Sir or Madam,
    We MEIFANG CHEN LIMITED trading as DomesticApplianceDirect.co.uk started off as a small company with a very strong business plan and strategy; unfortunately due to the bank seizing our funds on receiving towering volume of sales we regret our current situation.

In hope that the bank would release our funds we had managed to negotiate with our suppliers for a better deal and offered our customer's 15-20% discount on the invoice value, but the bank has let us down once again. We can now make no payment to our suppliers, and therefore can't deliver any goods.

On speaking with our Merchant bankers regarding the refunds to the consumers, we have been advised to request our customers to cancel the transactions with their personal banks. For those customers, who placed their orders recently and has not yet been charged please consider them as being cancelled.

We are now in the process of writing to the relevant authorities, Trading Standards and VISA to acknowledge them on the company's present situation.

We strongly apologise for any inconvenience caused unintentionally.

Kind regards,

M Chen
    Managing Director
    Meifang Chen Limited
    4b Amersham Road
    London, SW14 6QE
    United Kingdom
    T: +44 (0) 845 299 7673
    F: +44(0) 207 657 4939
    E: customerservice@domesticappliancedirect.co.uk

I've never heard of the company and I'd certainly not consider any of these small companies unless it was absolutely necessary and the purchase was covered. Small companies are getting hammered lately sadly but I think small companies should really stay small especially if they need massive bank funding. Up until lately banks were throwing cash at 'good ideas' and that's all stop. For now.
  • student_84
    • 5th Oct 09, 8:47 AM
    • 5th Oct 09, 8:47 AM
    The postcode SW14 6QE doesnt exist on royal mails website, if you havent already done so contact your card issuer to recoup the funds and get a replacement card issued
    • ElkyElky
    • By ElkyElky 5th Oct 09, 9:24 AM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    ElkyElky
    LOL I would never buy from a company that has 'Direct' in its title. I've stumbled across quite a few fraudulent shopping websites named similar.
    Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • PROLIANT
    • By PROLIANT 5th Oct 09, 9:38 AM
    • 6,045 Posts
    • 5,599 Thanks
    PROLIANT
    Wow, nowt like having a poke at the small business owner, I mean, just because they don't have all the bells and whistles of a huge corporate giant doesn’t mean they are less likely to supply you with your goods, I make a deliberate point of trying the small "local" business first for stuff I need before going to the big shops, at the end of the day you are covered by your bank if things go wrong, albeit you shop on eBay, you are more likely to get ripped off by some idiot on there than a reputable small business. :rolleyes:
    Since when has the world of computer software design been about what people want? This is a simple question of evolution. The day is quickly coming when every knee will bow down to a silicon fist, and you will all beg your binary gods for mercy.
  • tweetiepie72
    I have also been scammed in the same away. I ordered a 99 vaccum cleaner on 30th August which wasn't delivered within the 3-5 days as promised. I emailed the company to chase and they said I could expect it in 14 days and they would give me a 15% discount off of the price.

Needless to say but the goods didn't arrive within the 14 days so I emailed again and got a reply saying that the goods would be with me on 2nd October. The 2nd October came and went and still no goods. I logged into my bank account this weekend to pay some bills and found 599.99 deducted by the company without my knowledge or permission.

I emailed the company again this morning and got the reply as posted on this forum by Jemma T.

I am now in the process of trying to get the money back from my bank. I wish I had have seen these posts and the numerous ones located on the Reviews tab on Pricerunner for the company, before I placed my order.

Avoid this company at all costs. I will be reporting them to Trading Standards as well.

They have several different addresses none of which exist.

I am fuming!! I found the company on the ?Which Online site which I subscribe to as a company I could buy the vaccum cleaner from.
  • Nedsden
    I am another unhappy "customer" of Domestic Appliance Direct - I ordered from their website after doing some research on the Which? Consumer Review website and clicking through from a price comparison link on the Which site. The order was placed in August and needless to say I have not received delivery of the item ordered.
    They have taken payment from my credit card which I am now disputing with the card issuer, I'm not sure how far I will get as the amount is under 100, but it's worth a try.
    • ElkyElky
    • By ElkyElky 5th Oct 09, 5:21 PM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    ElkyElky
    No offence to anyone who has been scammed from this company but what the h e l l was going through your mind when purchasing from there?

http://www.domesticappliancedirect.co.uk/company.asp?ID=49

It looks like a child has designed the website. Just by looking at the website and reading the material, anyone would notice they aren't professional. I added an item to my basket and checked out, there is absolutely no security certificate. That should be the VERY first thing you look for when purchasing from any sort of website.

If there is no padlock icon on your browser during checkout, run like you've never ran before.

Edit: There is a logo of Citylink in the header but under the "Returns" section, they state they use Home Delivery Network. Another plain, yet obvious clue.
    Last edited by ElkyElky; 05-10-2009 at 5:25 PM.
    Weve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youre unsure why its been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
  • ILW
    No offence to anyone who has been scammed from this company but what the h e l l was going through your mind when purchasing from there?

Originally posted by ElkyElky
    The thought of saving a few pennies can cause common sense to fly out of the window at times.
  • dondon36
    I too have been scammed by this thief. 530 has been taken from my bank account and no washing machine. Makes you feel like you have been robbed on the street. How do these people sleep at night?
  • dondon36
    The address where you can make a complaint to the ''virtual'' company is a flat in london. Looked on google street car. I went through a price comparison website who advertised this company. Have now found out that price comparison websites dont check out who they are advertising!!
    • Jemma-T
    • By Jemma-T 6th Oct 09, 8:55 AM
    • 1,514 Posts
    • 532 Thanks
    Jemma-T
    The thought of saving a few pennies can cause common sense to fly out of the window at times.
    Originally posted by ILW
    That assumes common sense was there in the first place. Never assume that.

Wow, nowt like having a poke at the small business owner, I mean, just because they don't have all the bells and whistles of a huge corporate giant
    Originally posted by PROLIANT
    Bells and whistles? Stuff like stock?

Are people now saying this is a scam? You may not have a claim with your bank if it's under 100 with a credit card or may have no claim if it's via debit (and definitely no claim if it's not a MasterCard/Visa debit IMO). If you give away cash then that's normally your fault.

Before running off and claiming I'd hold fire to see how this thread goes and see what people post. Make sure you start to keep all important info inc dates, capture of that site, receipts etc.
  • grayc
    Avoid this company

My partner ordered a vacuum last month which never arrived despite payment. Also, an unauthorised transaction on her card for 599 was also made. Seems to be happening a lot if you search any forums for domestic appliance direct.
    Check your cards and report them to trading standards as some have already done.
    good luck
    gray
    • smjxm09
    • By smjxm09 9th Oct 09, 11:20 PM
    • 525 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    smjxm09
    The company website was only registered on 08-Jul-2009
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

100Posts Today

1,590Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm v moved by many of ur comments on #10Things tonight. Very thankful it was seen in the spirit it was meant. I'm? https://t.co/JaeoPqIczM

• RT @MartinSLewis: Many asking about the free finanacial education textbook for schools - it's out in a couple of weeks - here's info https:?

• RT @psychotherapyMM: @MartinSLewis ?there?s a sacrifice? Most valuable point tonight. Success (however that looks) does not come easy. Nobo?

• Follow Martin