Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    jo_b
    My Pregnancy Money-Saving Diary
    • 15th May 06, 5:25 PM
    My Pregnancy Money-Saving Diary 15th May 06 at 5:25 PM
    I'm terrible at keeping track of any savings that I make thanks to this site. I've decided to do my utmost to log any savings that I make over the next 8/9 months or so.

Having just confirmed that I am (barely) pregnant with my second child, I want to compare how much I save/spend this time around compared to my previous pregnancy (pre-MSE).

I'll start with the moment of truth. I expect it would have been very frugal just to wait another few months and see what developed but, as my husband insisted on a test.....:rolleyes:

Last time: Premium test kit from Boots £8.99!!

This time: Pregnancy test £1.49 from Home Bargains (thanks to info spotted on Shop But Don't Drop a while ago!) I could have got one for 99p but decided to splash out on the luxury version!

Last time: Expensive Pregnacare supplements from Boots.

This time: Folic Acid from Goldshield. Free P+P, free gift and piggypoints! Also eating better generally thanks to advice on Old Style board.

That's all for now.

Last edited by MSE Martin; 23-05-2006 at 4:17 PM.
Page 1
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 15th May 06, 6:26 PM
    • 20,451 Posts
    • 34,039 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 15th May 06, 6:26 PM
    • 15th May 06, 6:26 PM
    Congratulations Jo

And what a brilliant idea. I will be watching this thread with interest.

Spendless
    (who paid for 5 tests in her last pregnancy that all said negative and then got a free blood test via her GP which confirmed what she already knew :rolleyes: )
  • archived user
    • 15th May 06, 7:22 PM
    • 15th May 06, 7:22 PM
    Congratulations from me Jo. I look forward to reading further installments of your money saving diary.
    • daisykate124
    • By daisykate124 15th May 06, 7:55 PM
    • 253 Posts
    • 146 Thanks
    daisykate124
    • 15th May 06, 7:55 PM
    • 15th May 06, 7:55 PM
    Congratulations Jo.

Good luck with the pregnancy and your new money saving venture!
    Mum to 2 beautiful daughters born Oct 05 & Oct 08
    It doesn't cost anything to smile!
    • debsue
    • By debsue 15th May 06, 11:34 PM
    • 456 Posts
    • 879 Thanks
    debsue
    • 15th May 06, 11:34 PM
    • 15th May 06, 11:34 PM
    Congratulations.. Folic acis 400mcgs can be obtained on prescription which as you are pregnant is free of charge, If you are on benefits you may also be able to get free milk.
  • beautifulgorgeous
    • 15th May 06, 11:51 PM
    • 15th May 06, 11:51 PM
    Don`t forget to sign up to Boots babyclub for lot of freebies and extra points and congratulations!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 16th May 06, 12:15 AM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 16th May 06, 12:15 AM
    • 16th May 06, 12:15 AM
    Congratulations Jo,

This will be a fascinating thread to watch and see the differences between your first pregnancy and your second. Good Luck to you all.

Pink
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 16th May 06, 12:27 AM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    • 16th May 06, 12:27 AM
    • 16th May 06, 12:27 AM
    Congratulations Jo hope it all goes well and you save lots of money.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • divadee
    • By divadee 16th May 06, 8:26 AM
    • 10,425 Posts
    • 17,862 Thanks
    divadee
    • 16th May 06, 8:26 AM
    • 16th May 06, 8:26 AM
    CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Look forward to reading this
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 16th May 06, 12:44 PM
    • 8,111 Posts
    • 42,248 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Love it. And congratulations
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
    • Baileys Babe
    • By Baileys Babe 16th May 06, 12:51 PM
    • 2,317 Posts
    • 11,461 Thanks
    Baileys Babe
    Congratulations on your pregancy

Fantastic idea I will be following with interest.
    • purplepatch
    • By purplepatch 16th May 06, 1:27 PM
    • 2,524 Posts
    • 1,507 Thanks
    purplepatch
    Congratulations Jo.

I too will be following this with interest - I'm expecting my second at the end of October - like you, my first pregnancy was pre MSE. I also saved on the test (off ebay) and the folic acid (same one as you). Can't think of anything else I've saved on so far, other than I was much quicker off the mark getting my NHS maternity exemption card this time.

• Sallys Savings
    Congratulations and all the very best
    Don't forget to sign up for Tescos baby club too.
    • code-a-holic
    • By code-a-holic 16th May 06, 10:54 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    code-a-holic
    Congratulations! Well done!

My first pregnancy was expensive - my 2nd, cheaper , my 3rd virtually free!!!
    As mentioned - join the clubs (although you probably know from alst child - but update the details with new due date)
    Boots, Tesco, Huggies, Pampers, Heinz, Cow & Gate, Farleys, emmas diary, bounty.....all give out freebies and money off vouchers.
  • batley1
    You can go to the Boots advantage card machines in the shops, and register that your expecting on them.. They'll send you vouchers for free hair masks, body lotions,cheap make up, and lots and lots of extra points. They also send you a voucher for a huggies changing bag as long as you buy a pack of nappies, which if you have one still in nappies anyway, is no extra money anyway!!!
  • essexhoney
    Congratulations!
    I will also be watching this thread with great interest i currently have 10 weeks left til my 3rd is due. My daughter was born last year and i have the majority of what i need already and have barely spent a thing!
    Wishing you a healthy happy 9 months! xx
    • Juliepink26
    • By Juliepink26 18th May 06, 9:52 AM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 9,341 Thanks
    Juliepink26
    I have three weeks to go in my pregancy and have recived loads of freebies, i think if you phone a company tell them you are pregnant and want to start using their products they send more samples. I phoned simple facecare and asked for some samples of there baby products got sent lots of samples and baby wipes great for hosptial bag. 0121 327 4750

I bought all my nursery furnture from a place in North London half price, all Mamas and Papas, should of cost 1200 got for 500!
  • jo_b
    Week 5
    Thanks to everybody for your best wishes.

Now that I'm five weeks pregnant, it's time to go clubbing!

Done so far...

www.pampers.co.uk
    www.huggiesclub.com
    www.tesco.com/babyandtoddlerclub
    www.boots.com/parentingclub
    http://www.toysrus.co.uk/framestatic.aspx/Controls/Global/MotherAndBabyClub.ascx?zone=Bru
    www.cowandgate.co.uk
    www.smanutrition.co.uk
    www.mamauk.com
    www.bounty.com
    www.emmasdiary.co.uk

Looking forward to all the baby related freebies pouring through the door.

Also made full use of my entitlement to free prescriptions this morning. Even though I haven't got any proof of pregnancy as yet, the pharmacist let me tick the box on the form, saving over £13 in prescription charges. The bad news is being ill in the first place (non-pregnancy related illness.)

I've sold over £40 worth of books on Amazon this week which will all help towards my maternity fund.
    Last edited by jo_b; 25-05-2006 at 11:53 AM.
  • madmamma
    nappies
    I've got 3 kids, unfortunately I didn't try this until the 3rd one, but even so I couldn't believe how much money it saved me:
    Use Real Nappies!!!!!!
    I know, I know it sounds disgusting but honestly you soon get used to it and poo is poo whether its on a disposable or reusable, use flushable liners and you can just chuck it down the loo and use a bucket with a few drops of tea tree oil in the water and the smell isn't too bad either! I used disposables when we went anywhere and they were more faff to be honest. Oh and after I'd finished with them I sold them on ebay. Cast to me 130 sold for 60 so 70 for 2 years worth of nappies!
  • jo_b
    I've got 3 kids, unfortunately I didn't try this until the 3rd one, but even so I couldn't believe how much money it saved me:
    Use Real Nappies!!!!!!
    by madmamma
    I tried a real nappy laundering service when my first baby was born because I was really keen on reusables. I have to admit that I struggled with them and found them an unnecessary extra inconvenience on top of having a newborn to deal with.

I probably would have perservered though, but my OH really disliked them and, as he was in charge of all the evening/night-time nappy changes, he won over. I've got a few trial nappies in newborn size left over from last time and I do plan to use them alongside disposables for the first couple of months, though.

I do genuinely like the 'idea' of reusables, both for the financial benefits and the environmental issues, but just didn't get on with them that well.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

5,181Users online

Martin's Twitter