Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 29th Sep 09, 6:44 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should you pay the cabbie?
    • 29th Sep 09, 6:44 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should you pay the cabbie? 29th Sep 09 at 6:44 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

You jump into a cab at a red light, and, so he doesn't hold up traffic, the driver speeds away. You know the journey usually costs about £20 but halfway there, you realise he hasn't put the meter on. Would you argue it's his fault, and just pay meter price or just stump up the full cash?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Page 1
  • Noggin the Nog
    • 29th Sep 09, 7:08 PM
    • 29th Sep 09, 7:08 PM
    I'd pay the full £20 - he will still have provided the same service so why not pay the full price?

If it was the other way round - if you went into a shop and handed over £20 without noticing for a £10 item and walked away before the assistant had given you your change, you'd think it was wrong if they didn't run after you with your money, surely?

An innocent mistake that hurts no-one shouldn't carry a financial penalty, whether it's the buyer or seller who has made the mistake!
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 29th Sep 09, 8:14 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 29th Sep 09, 8:14 PM
    • 29th Sep 09, 8:14 PM
    Pay the full price because I had the full journey.

Last edited by scotsbob; 29-09-2009 at 9:02 PM.
    • pennypinchUK
    • By pennypinchUK 29th Sep 09, 9:54 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    pennypinchUK
    • 29th Sep 09, 9:54 PM
    • 29th Sep 09, 9:54 PM
    Easiest one yet, Martin. Pay the normal £20 - after all, you've had £20 of service. Better still, when you notice the meter isn't on, mention to the cabbie that he's not put the meter on and let him know you're already aware it's normally £20. No hassles all round.
    • corbyboy
    • By corbyboy 29th Sep 09, 10:06 PM
    • 1,137 Posts
    • 1,378 Thanks
    corbyboy
    • 29th Sep 09, 10:06 PM
    • 29th Sep 09, 10:06 PM
    I don't know all the ins and outs of it but isn't there a legal viewpoint on this?

Surely just because he forgot to put the meter on doesn't mean you are entitled to a discounted journey. Does it?
  • DebtHater
    • 29th Sep 09, 10:43 PM
    • 29th Sep 09, 10:43 PM
    As a cabbie myself, if I forgot to put my meter on I would mention it to the customer and say "its usually £xx amount" (as we all know what the rough fare will be anyway) and if they make a fuss then I would just put the meter on when I noticed it wasnt on.

9/10 you get really nice customers who would give the full fare + tip, its only the odd one that you get that would make a fuss if you charged the full amount even though you forgot to put the meter on.

And besides, we dont forget to put the meter on anyway. Its habit
    • Thunderbird
    • By Thunderbird 29th Sep 09, 11:25 PM
    • 612 Posts
    • 265 Thanks
    Thunderbird
    • 29th Sep 09, 11:25 PM
    • 29th Sep 09, 11:25 PM
    Pay the full amount
    Be nice, life is too short to be anything else.
    • browneyedbazzi
    • By browneyedbazzi 29th Sep 09, 11:52 PM
    • 3,231 Posts
    • 5,575 Thanks
    browneyedbazzi
    • 29th Sep 09, 11:52 PM
    • 29th Sep 09, 11:52 PM
    I don't know all the ins and outs of it but isn't there a legal viewpoint on this?

Surely just because he forgot to put the meter on doesn't mean you are entitled to a discounted journey. Does it?
    Originally posted by corbyboy

There is a legal viewpoint...a hackney carriage must set the meter and can only charge a passenger the metered fare. Failing to set a meter or attempting to charge more than the metered fare is a criminal offence. Even if you agree a fare with the driver in advance (say £10 from A to B) the driver still needs to set the meter. If the fare on the meter when you get to point B is £12 he can only charge you the agreed £10. If the meter says £7 when you get to point B he can only ask for £7.

I'm sure some drivers make an 'honest mistake' when they don't set their meters on the odd occaision but the law is there to protect passengers from those that would take advantage of the situation.

I would mention to the driver that the meter isn't set, ask him to set it and then pay what the meter reads at the end of the journey. If he lost a pound or two because there was a delay in setting the meter then it's his loss and maybe he'll remember his legal obligations next time....but maybe that's just me since I work in enforcement!
  • unhealthyman
    • 30th Sep 09, 12:23 AM
    • 30th Sep 09, 12:23 AM
    If I was confident and aware of what the full price was meant to be I hope I'd pay it but I must confess I have an innate scepticism about cabbies and I would probably (unfairly or not) be suspicious that it was a scam.

I get cabs for work from all across the country and at times they can be a bit dubious - such as mentioning at the end of the journey that it's a different boundary and will cost extra. And - I must admit, because it's expensed and I'm often in a hurry I don't argue but I am left with this niggling feeling that it's not really above board.
  • jcm1970
    No contest: pay the £20. Legal obligations aside, it's the right thing to do.
    • onlypaddy
    • By onlypaddy 30th Sep 09, 7:56 AM
    • 972 Posts
    • 471 Thanks
    onlypaddy
    There is a legal viewpoint...a hackney carriage must set the meter and can only charge a passenger the metered fare. Failing to set a meter or attempting to charge more than the metered fare is a criminal offence. Even if you agree a fare with the driver in advance (say £10 from A to B) the driver still needs to set the meter. If the fare on the meter when you get to point B is £12 he can only charge you the agreed £10. If the meter says £7 when you get to point B he can only ask for £7.

I'm sure some drivers make an 'honest mistake' when they don't set their meters on the odd occaision but the law is there to protect passengers from those that would take advantage of the situation.

I would mention to the driver that the meter isn't set, ask him to set it and then pay what the meter reads at the end of the journey. If he lost a pound or two because there was a delay in setting the meter then it's his loss and maybe he'll remember his legal obligations next time....but maybe that's just me since I work in enforcement!
    Originally posted by browneyedbazzi

I think the question relates to a journey you would make often so even in Hackney in London you would know if they were trying to rip you off. I'd pay full. Alienating taxi firms is not usually a good idea!
  • Masonity
    It's happened to me a couple of times, and I have a simple policy.

I tell him he didn't turn it on. Once we get to our destination, if he tries to charge me the price on the meter I "tip" him the remainder of what it usually costs plus a quid or two. If he tells me it's "usually about" roughly what it is, I'll give him the same as above, what it usually is plus a quid or two. If he tries to take advantage in any way (by, say, inflating the "normal" fare), then he gets what the meter says, not a penny more.
  • Masonity
    I think the question relates to a journey you would make often so even in Hackney in London you would know if they were trying to rip you off. I'd pay full. Alienating taxi firms is not usually a good idea!
    Originally posted by onlypaddy
    All London "Black Cabs" are known as Hackney Carriages, and while YOU may know the usual fare, they deal with so many tourists on a day to day basis that laws like that uphold their integrity.

Most cabbies are good people, or at least honest in their work. In every profession you get the odd chancer though, plus sometimes it's hard to know what the fare would be.

That said, it's not hard to at the very least add on a tip to help soften the blow. Especially if they offer to take the loss.
  • scum2k
    yup
    Would definetly pay the full thing, although my girlfriend had this happen just the other day and the taxi driver just asked for what was on the meter. Fair dos.

• Shrewdmoneysaver
    • By Shrewdmoneysaver 30th Sep 09, 8:25 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Shrewdmoneysaver
    I would pay what I believe to be the correct amount plus the usual tip.
    Unfortunately here in Chelmsford this is often less than the amount shown on the meter. This is because meters here are manually set and a good proportion of drivers try and charge the night rate up to 15 minutes before it applies.
  • chrisontheup
    Yes of course you should pay the cabbie!
    Some cabbies are con men - we've all had them. They are though in the minority and most cabbies are honest guys doing a days work.

At the end of the day you have to live with yourself, but all I can say is that if we behave dishonestly then we are no better than the conmen we all rant about.
  • clairbear
    Strictly speaking in this instance you could pay whatever you wish.
    The driver has acted unlawfully(he will be aware of this) by not putting on meter and although an honest mistake would not want to involve Police.
    Personally I would pay the appropriate rate
  • clairbear
    Shrewdmonysaver,if what you say is correct I would inform driver of his mistake and if you notice the same driver repeating this 'mistake' then report him
    • Katie-Kat-Kins
    • By Katie-Kat-Kins 30th Sep 09, 10:03 AM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    Katie-Kat-Kins
    I'd see what he says at the end and be prepared to negotiate. I would be happy to pay what it usually is though, just not any more!

Generally cabbies are honest and give you the benefit of the doubt so if they did that I'd be happy to tip the difference, especially if it was a company I used a lot and wanted to maintain a good relationship with.
  • MORPH3US
    I'd pay the full £20 - he will still have provided the same service so why not pay the full price?
    Originally posted by Noggin the Nog
    Its not too clear in the OP, but is it not trying to say would you pay the normal £20 "meter price" or pay the inflated "whatever" price he was trying to charge you?

I'd wait until we got to the destination and see what he said the price was. If it was more than then usual £20 meter price then i'd say "its normally only £20 so thats what you can have" but if he said it was less than £20 then i'd pay the lesser amount he was asking for.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,121Posts Today

8,983Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've just heard about the 8 month pregnant woman shot through the stomach by a crossbow. Its both evil and medie? https://t.co/hQTOxWiXhj

• Major new guide... Brexit, what it means for you and your finances: M mortgages, savings, flights, consumer rights? https://t.co/SXCMG2qXwX

• Have you haggled on the high street in the last year? If so who with and did you succeed? Please vote in this week? https://t.co/fdzmmFfA4u

• Follow Martin