Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zziggi
    • By Zziggi 12th May 06, 7:57 PM
    • 2,388Posts
    • 2,234Thanks
    Zziggi
    (another) curry question
    • 12th May 06, 7:57 PM
    (another) curry question 12th May 06 at 7:57 PM
    I've made batches of curry_queen's curry base and have used the following receipe quite alot.

Chicken Korma (serve 3-4)

4 tbsp veg oil
    425ml curry sauce
    450g cooked chicken
    2 tbsp cashew nuts, roughly chopped
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp garam masala
    150ml coconut cream
    1 tbsp finely chopped coriander

The problem is that the kids won't eat it and say it is too spicy. So i am looking to make a REALLY mild curry.(possibly a creamy curry?) The problem is i can't use cream in the dish - would yogurt/creamed coconut do the same trick?

At the moment the only thing i can get them to eat is Homepride corronation chicken sauce then i add some chicken, onions, peppers peas/carrots and loads of sultanas to sweeten it up. They'll eat this but i want a HM version because (a) there's something in the homepride sauce that doesn't agree with them (milk intollerant), (b) HM is better and cheaper.

So i suppose i'm asking
    (a) has anyone got a good VERY MILD HM curry recipe (pref using curry_queens curry base)
    alternatively,

(b) can i make a mild HM corronation chicken curry sauce - the curry version not to serve with jacket pots/salads.

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 12th May 06, 8:01 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    • 12th May 06, 8:01 PM
    • 12th May 06, 8:01 PM
    natural yoghurt should cool it down a fair bit
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 12th May 06, 8:18 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 12th May 06, 8:18 PM
    • 12th May 06, 8:18 PM
    Adding a combination of yoghurt and creamed coconut will make any curry milder and sweeter.

If a curry's too hot, I always add natural yoghurt separately to the little one's portion and give him less sauce ratio to rice.

Pink
    • Zziggi
    • By Zziggi 12th May 06, 8:30 PM
    • 2,388 Posts
    • 2,234 Thanks
    Zziggi
    • 12th May 06, 8:30 PM
    • 12th May 06, 8:30 PM
    Thanks guys. Maybe it is the garlic in the curry base they don't like?:confused:

Any ideas on the corronation chicken HM sauce please?
  • linzibean
    • 12th May 06, 9:40 PM
    • 12th May 06, 9:40 PM
    I do quite a mild curry for when I;m visiting OH's family, his sister cant take hot foods! Basically, i do enough chicken for who;s eating with sliced pepper, half an onion finely chopped.

First of all I heat some oil in a pan with two small pinches of chilli powder, a teaspoon of garam masala, a pinch of salt and soem ground black pepper, with a dash of lemon juice. The I brown off the chicken in this mix, add the peppers / onions, fry for a couple of mins, then add half a pack of creamed coconut. As this simmers I addd a further teaspoon of garam masala and maybe a little more chilli. Once it simmers the coconut cream comes up lovely and thick, creamy, and yum yum!!

If I make this for just me and OH I really bung in the chilli
  • mirakl
    • 13th May 06, 12:43 AM
    • 13th May 06, 12:43 AM
    As a kid I couldn't handle ginger, that was the thing that made things too hot for me. Glad I've grown out of that!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,430Posts Today

7,447Users online

Martin's Twitter