Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 11th May 06, 6:39 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 11th May 06, 6:39 PM
    • 11th May 06, 6:39 PM
    Rhubarb fool of course!

Mix with whipped cream and or thick yogurt.Sweeten to taste.

Btw rhubarb is very good in muffins Bigmuffins.I think your might be a bit mushy,but I made some the other day with some rhubarb I'd coked in ginger syrup(from a jar) and they were delicious,lovely and moist.

HTH
  • bigmuffins
    • 11th May 06, 6:47 PM
    • 11th May 06, 6:47 PM
    Thanks Thriftlady - haven't tried rhubarb fool before! Am new to cooking with rhubarb - OH is not a fan but I like it! Could you give me some idea as to proportion of cream/yoghurt to rhubarb please - I had about 800g rhubarb to start with.

I am always partial to a new muffin recipe - if you would be so kind as to post yours!
  • Sujamjen
    • 11th May 06, 7:48 PM
    • 11th May 06, 7:48 PM
    I make a version of rhubarb fool with thick custard! Delicious
  • bigmuffins
    • 11th May 06, 8:06 PM
    • 11th May 06, 8:06 PM
    Sounds yummy!
    I like custard too! How much custard and is it the real stuff or birds?
  • Sujamjen
    • 11th May 06, 10:18 PM
    • 11th May 06, 10:18 PM
    I use a pint of very thick custart (either instant -the just add water sort or the traditional custard powder, milk and sugar sort) and add the cooked rhubarb - trouble is I can't give exact measure for rhubarb. I usually use 4 big sticks or 6 smaller. The only tip I can add is mix the rhubarb in gradually until you like the look of the consistency. Leave to cool then enjoy
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 12th May 06, 7:00 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 12th May 06, 7:00 PM
    • 12th May 06, 7:00 PM
    Thanks Thriftlady - haven't tried rhubarb fool before! Am new to cooking with rhubarb - OH is not a fan but I like it! Could you give me some idea as to proportion of cream/yoghurt to rhubarb please - I had about 800g rhubarb to start with.

I am always partial to a new muffin recipe - if you would be so kind as to post yours!
    by bigmuffins
    I'd use roughly equal quantities of rhubarb and cream.I'm a bit of a 'cook by eye' kind of cook so I'm not exactly sure tbh.

My standard muffin recipe is in US cups I'm afraid.If you haven't got any find a measure that holds 8 fl oz of liquid.

For 12 muffins

In a bowl put;
    2 cups plain flour
    1 tbsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup sugar

mix together,then add
    1 cup of cooked chopped rhubarb and ginger(or any other fruit)

In another bowl mix
    1 egg
    1 cup of milk
    1/3 cup sunflower oil

Mix the liquid with the dry ingredients,but not too much.
    Spoon into muffin tins and bake at 200c for 25 mins.

Sorry it's a bit basic-I tend to wing it with my muffins in order to use up leftovers.

Mix together
  • bigmuffins
    • 12th May 06, 9:25 PM
    • 12th May 06, 9:25 PM
    Thanks Thriftlady & sujamjen! (where's the thanks button when you need it!)
    Muffin recipe close enough to one I use & I have cup measures too! Will try it out soon. Have to give the cream fool miss - just dropped carton of cream all over the floor! Maybe custard.....
    Tasted the rhubarb - was yummy even though mushy!
    Thanks again
    Cheers
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 12th May 06, 10:26 PM
    • 12,095 Posts
    • 32,350 Thanks
    suki1964
    • 12th May 06, 10:26 PM
    • 12th May 06, 10:26 PM
    Mushy rhubarb is really nice on top of cereal. Or you can still make rhubarb tart - just add a bit of semolina and/or ground almonds to soak up some of the juices
    if you lend someone 20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • elisebutt65
    • By elisebutt65 12th May 06, 10:50 PM
    • 3,793 Posts
    • 7,289 Thanks
    elisebutt65
    I love mushy rhubarb - can eat it every day!!! I'd still make a crumble with it - lol

Lovely for breakfast with a dash of yoghourt on top.
  • Sujamjen
    Our rhubarb plant is doing its usual 'day-of-the-trifid' spring time grown spurt. Have already had crumble and fool this week and yesterday I cut enough to fill 3 bags and freeze for later in the year when it's either a bit stringy or gone altogether! I love rhubarb as you can guess and I also use it as a vegtable, my favourite is in a Persian Stew which is basically a lamb casserole with the addition of the rhubarb (and if I've any spare, some apricots too) and mint.
    Hope you all have a great weekend.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

222Posts Today

1,566Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin