Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    leeegglestone
    What to make for my Tea
    • 11th May 06, 9:03 AM
    What to make for my Tea 11th May 06 at 9:03 AM
    Ok Ive taken some scottish beef mince - 500g out of the Freezer last night for my Tea.

I have some Mushroom & Tomatop Pasta Sauce - 470g x 2
    Sausages
    Lasagne Sheets
    White Sauce Mix ( i know i should make it myself, need 2buy sum flower)
    Spaghetti
    Various Pasta Shapes

I want to make a Meal that Lasts maybe 2-3 Nights.

What should I make & how do I cook the Mince best?
    I have a large Cooking Dish and also two Small ones.
    I thought about maybe making Lasagne, but then thought maybe I could half the Mince and make another Dish with it instead, maybe Spag Bol or even a Sausage & Mince Pasta Bake

What do u think?
Page 1
  • Queenie
    • 11th May 06, 12:27 PM
    • 11th May 06, 12:27 PM
    Bolognaise sauce (use the mince and the mush/tom pasta sauce) will make both lasagne & spaghetti bolognaise. The only difference between the two is that a lasagne meat sauce is usually thicker than a bolognaise sauce.

Meal #1 - make bolognaise sauce with the mince and jar of sauce. Use half for a spag bol and reserve half for the lasagne

Meal #2 - use the sausages as the base for your meal (seems you like pasta and have a lot of it - but you could ring the changes for this meal and use potatoes instead? Or make a simply sausage salad, or grab some rolls and have a hot dog meal with a salad? If you have baking potatoes, you could take out the centre of a raw baking potato using an apple corer, push the sausage into the hole, then bake - caution, put a drip try on the shelf underneath to catch any juices which come out of the sausages.

Meal #3 - make up a lasagne with the left over bol. sauce reserved from #1

No need to use the sausages & mince in the same meal - eke out the mince by adding onions, carrots (grated are good as they cook quicker) or maybe mushrooms if you have them. (Tip: I keep a bag of soya mince in my pantry it's about 60p a bag from Sainsbury's - when I brown off my mince, I add some rehydrated soya mince, which absorbs the meaty flavour of the mince and voila! double the amount for a fraction of the cost! In a bol. sauce no one would even notice )

The way I brown off my mince, is to simply put it in a pan over a medium heat and cook until browned all over - ie: no red bits! - draining off any and all fat that. Then it's ready to be used in whichever recipe I have decided on.

HTH
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    • 11th May 06, 12:29 PM
    • 11th May 06, 12:29 PM
    Forgot to add - what vegetables will you be having on the side? If you load up the plates with veggies, you'll be amazed how much smaller the "meat" servings need to be.
  • leeegglestone
    • 11th May 06, 1:11 PM
    • 11th May 06, 1:11 PM
    maybe a funny question.
    when i put the mince in the pan, do i start to break it all up then? as it iwll all be stuck 2 gether after take it out the ??

:S
  • Queenie
    • 11th May 06, 1:23 PM
    • 11th May 06, 1:23 PM
    Yes, you break it up, I use a wooden spoon, as it browns off in the pan
  • leeegglestone
    • 12th May 06, 11:17 AM
    • 12th May 06, 11:17 AM
    I made myself a Lasagne last night and also a Pasta Bake which I will have tonight

Will look out for the Soya Mince in Sainsburys. Is it ok to use Soya mince with regular, and then Freeze it?
  • mandy_moo_1
    • 12th May 06, 2:34 PM
    • 12th May 06, 2:34 PM
    (Tip: I keep a bag of soya mince in my pantry it's about 60p a bag from Sainsbury's - when I brown off my mince, I add some rehydrated soya mince, which absorbs the meaty flavour of the mince and voila! double the amount for a fraction of the cost! In a bol. sauce no one would even notice )

HTH
    by Queenie
    hi queenie....do you add the soya mince BEFORE you brown the mince or after, when you've drained all the fat off? and how much wud you add to a kg of mince? I''ve been making my mince go further by adding a handful of cooked lentils but the kids spotted em and wudn't eat it, so then i used 2 or 3 slices of bread, made them into breadcrumbs and that bulked it out quite a bit! plus they didn't notice,which is always a good thing

• hattie_pea
    • 12th May 06, 5:35 PM
    • 12th May 06, 5:35 PM
    You could also bulk out the mince using bran from the cereal aisle at the supermarket - or mix it into the raw mince with finely sliced onion and make into meatballs?!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!
  • Queenie
    • 13th May 06, 9:20 AM
    • 13th May 06, 9:20 AM
    Is it ok to use Soya mince with regular, and then Freeze it?
    by leeegglestone
    Yes

hi queenie....do you add the soya mince BEFORE you brown the mince or after, when you've drained all the fat off? and how much wud you add to a kg of mince?
    by mandy_moo_1
    After.

The soya mince has to be rehydrated first (I use some hot stock), then I add it to the browned mince, onion, herbs, stir for a mo, then continue with the recipe. The soya mince has no flavour and absorbs the flavours of the other ingredients.

How much? Well, bear in mind I began doing this with a meat-n-2-veg-won't-touch-owt-else-man ... I only added approx 1/4 of the packet of soya, then gradually added more and more (from memory I think it reconstitutes to approx 800g :confused: ) so probably about half the bag to 1kg of fresh mince. I tend to batch make a basic mince recipe for use and freezing, and only need to add things to it to transform into a chilli, spag. bol., mince cobbler etc..
  • mandy_moo_1
    Thanx Queenie x tried to press my thanks button but it's still not working for me!

• lapis lazuli
    • By lapis lazuli 17th Feb 11, 8:16 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    lapis lazuli
    This may be an insane idea, but has anyone minced leftover corned beef before? I really like it, especially the stuff you boil yourself, but there's only so many corned beef sandwiches or corned beef hash suppers I can eat in a week. Could I mince it raw and turn it into cottage pie or burgers, or mince the cooked leftovers and turn it into a casserole?
    • mummyjane
    • By mummyjane 17th Feb 11, 9:34 AM
    • 381 Posts
    • 3,685 Thanks
    mummyjane
    When I cook mince, I use either half quorn/meat free and half normal mince or I add a few handfulls of lentils (cooked). This really bulks the meat out and lentils are such a cheap and healthy way of doing it. Dh never notices when I substitute half the mince for quorn, even though he is adamant that he hates the stuff

Lapis Lazuli - you could mix leftover corned beef (cooked) with mashed potato, add a bit of onion and a dash of worcester sauce and use it as a filling for a meat pie - really yummy. Or you could just make patties with the mixture too.
    Last edited by mummyjane; 17-02-2011 at 9:38 AM.
    Groceries Challenge 2019
    Jan 462.44/400
    Feb 210.10/450, 2/10 NSDs
    • lapis lazuli
    • By lapis lazuli 18th Feb 11, 8:42 AM
    • 134 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    lapis lazuli
    Lapis Lazuli - you could mix leftover corned beef (cooked) with mashed potato, add a bit of onion and a dash of worcester sauce and use it as a filling for a meat pie - really yummy. Or you could just make patties with the mixture too.
    Originally posted by mummyjane
    Thanks, that sounds yummy. Does anyone else have some ideas or should I just treat it like ordinary beef but go easy on adding salt in my recipes?
    Last edited by lapis lazuli; 18-02-2011 at 9:03 AM.
    • JulieGeorgiana
    • By JulieGeorgiana 18th Feb 11, 9:56 AM
    • 2,467 Posts
    • 12,987 Thanks
    JulieGeorgiana
    Spicy Sausage Pasta.

Just add onion, garlic and chilli flakes to a tomato base, add sausages and serve with pasta!

Quick and Easy... and really yummy! My OH likes is spicy and add tobasco x
    We spend money we don't have, on things that we don't need, to impress people we don't like. I don't and I'm happy!

Mortgage Free Wannabe
    Overpayments Made: 5400 - Interest Saved: 11,550 - Months Saved: 24
    • lapis lazuli
    • By lapis lazuli 10th Jul 11, 2:13 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 389 Thanks
    lapis lazuli
    I took the plunge and minced a kilo of raw corned beef silverside today. Don't try it if you're expecting nice strands which stay separate. I got the strands but they quickly formed themselves into a gloop once they landed in the bowl, and had to be broken up as they browned in the frying pan. Made a wonderful base for a stew though! Will try the cooked recommendation sometime soon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,206Posts Today

6,556Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• RT @Screeeeamer: @dwlstacey @MartinSLewis @TUIUK Dear mr Stacy, I need to let you know of a slight amendment to the Porsche 911 you ordered?

• Follow Martin