The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What to make for my Tea

Ok Ive taken some scottish beef mince - 500g out of the Freezer last night for my Tea.

I have some Mushroom & Tomatop Pasta Sauce - 470g x 2
Sausages
Lasagne Sheets
White Sauce Mix ( i know i should make it myself, need 2buy sum flower)
Spaghetti
Various Pasta Shapes

I want to make a Meal that Lasts maybe 2-3 Nights.

What should I make & how do I cook the Mince best?
I have a large Cooking Dish and also two Small ones.
I thought about maybe making Lasagne, but then thought maybe I could half the Mince and make another Dish with it instead, maybe Spag Bol or even a Sausage & Mince Pasta Bake :)

What do u think?

Comments

• Queenie
    Queenie Posts: 8,793 Forumite
    Bolognaise sauce (use the mince and the mush/tom pasta sauce) will make both lasagne & spaghetti bolognaise. The only difference between the two is that a lasagne meat sauce is usually thicker than a bolognaise sauce.

Meal #1 - make bolognaise sauce with the mince and jar of sauce. Use half for a spag bol and reserve half for the lasagne

Meal #2 - use the sausages as the base for your meal (seems you like pasta and have a lot of it - but you could ring the changes for this meal and use potatoes instead? Or make a simply sausage salad, or grab some rolls and have a hot dog meal with a salad? If you have baking potatoes, you could take out the centre of a raw baking potato using an apple corer, push the sausage into the hole, then bake - caution, put a drip try on the shelf underneath to catch any juices which come out of the sausages.

Meal #3 - make up a lasagne with the left over bol. sauce reserved from #1

No need to use the sausages & mince in the same meal - eke out the mince by adding onions, carrots (grated are good as they cook quicker) or maybe mushrooms if you have them. (Tip: I keep a bag of soya mince in my pantry it's about 60p a bag from Sainsbury's - when I brown off my mince, I add some rehydrated soya mince, which absorbs the meaty flavour of the mince and voila! double the amount for a fraction of the cost! In a bol. sauce no one would even notice ;) )

The way I brown off my mince, is to simply put it in a pan over a medium heat and cook until browned all over - ie: no red bits! - draining off any and all fat that. Then it's ready to be used in whichever recipe I have decided on.

HTH :)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Queenie
    Forgot to add - what vegetables will you be having on the side? If you load up the plates with veggies, you'll be amazed how much smaller the "meat" servings need to be.
  • leeegglestone
    leeegglestone Posts: 2,592 Forumite
    maybe a funny question.
    when i put the mince in the pan, do i start to break it all up then? as it iwll all be stuck 2 gether after take it out the ??

:S
  • Queenie
    Yes, you break it up, I use a wooden spoon, as it browns off in the pan :)
  • leeegglestone
    leeegglestone Posts: 2,592 Forumite
    I made myself a Lasagne last night and also a Pasta Bake which I will have tonight :)

Will look out for the Soya Mince in Sainsburys. Is it ok to use Soya mince with regular, and then Freeze it?
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Queenie wrote:
    (Tip: I keep a bag of soya mince in my pantry it's about 60p a bag from Sainsbury's - when I brown off my mince, I add some rehydrated soya mince, which absorbs the meaty flavour of the mince and voila! double the amount for a fraction of the cost! In a bol. sauce no one would even notice ;) )

HTH :)
    hi queenie....do you add the soya mince BEFORE you brown the mince or after, when you've drained all the fat off? and how much wud you add to a kg of mince? I''ve been making my mince go further by adding a handful of cooked lentils but the kids spotted em and wudn't eat it, so then i used 2 or 3 slices of bread, made them into breadcrumbs and that bulked it out quite a bit! plus they didn't notice,which is always a good thing :D
  • hattie_pea
    hattie_pea Posts: 106 Forumite
    You could also bulk out the mince using bran from the cereal aisle at the supermarket - or mix it into the raw mince with finely sliced onion and make into meatballs?!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts!;)
  • Queenie
    Is it ok to use Soya mince with regular, and then Freeze it?

Yes :):)
    hi queenie....do you add the soya mince BEFORE you brown the mince or after, when you've drained all the fat off? and how much wud you add to a kg of mince?

After.

The soya mince has to be rehydrated first (I use some hot stock), then I add it to the browned mince, onion, herbs, stir for a mo, then continue with the recipe. The soya mince has no flavour and absorbs the flavours of the other ingredients.

How much? Well, bear in mind I began doing this with a meat-n-2-veg-won't-touch-owt-else-man ... I only added approx 1/4 of the packet of soya, then gradually added more and more (from memory I think it reconstitutes to approx 800g :confused: ) so probably about half the bag to 1kg of fresh mince. I tend to batch make a basic mince recipe for use and freezing, and only need to add things to it to transform into a chilli, spag. bol., mince cobbler etc..
  • mandy_moo_1
    mandy_moo_1 Posts: 1,201
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Thanx Queenie x tried to press my thanks button but it's still not working for me!
  • This may be an insane idea, but has anyone minced leftover corned beef before? I really like it, especially the stuff you boil yourself, but there's only so many corned beef sandwiches or corned beef hash suppers I can eat in a week. Could I mince it raw and turn it into cottage pie or burgers, or mince the cooked leftovers and turn it into a casserole?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure