Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 15th Sep 09, 2:19 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. What's the price of romance?
    • 15th Sep 09, 2:19 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. What's the price of romance? 15th Sep 09 at 2:19 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

In the heat of the moment Edward promises to treat his girlfriend, Bella, to a trip to Paris for her birthday, knowing she’s always dreamt of going. Bella gets really excited and can’t stop going on and on about it. Then Edward goes to book Eurostar tickets for that weekend, assuming he’d be able to get them for 59, but there are no cheap trains or flights left; it would cost 300 return for two. Edward has the money, but it was much more than he was banking on.

Should Edward take Bella to Paris?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View all

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Martin; 15-09-2009 at 7:35 PM.
Page 1
  • Minxy_Bella
    • 15th Sep 09, 2:25 PM
    • 15th Sep 09, 2:25 PM
    It depends how much he loves her!

If he's going to propose in Paris, then yes, he should go for it.

If he's not that into her and he really can't afford it, then no. If she loves him, then she'll understand (or offer to go halfers!)
  • Noggin the Nog
    • 15th Sep 09, 4:11 PM
    • 15th Sep 09, 4:11 PM
    I think he should ask Bella what she would like to do! She's a grown-up and might well think that it would be fine to defer the trip for a few weeks until the cheaper fares become available, rather than her boyfriend getting lumbered with a massively expensive gift. Also, if Edward spends so much on her, she might feel bad about not being able to match it when his birthday comes around.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 15th Sep 09, 4:59 PM
    • 5,456 Posts
    • 9,032 Thanks
    Gavin83
    • 15th Sep 09, 4:59 PM
    • 15th Sep 09, 4:59 PM
    I'd catch a plane for a third of that price instead.
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 15th Sep 09, 8:31 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 15th Sep 09, 8:31 PM
    • 15th Sep 09, 8:31 PM
    Looks like the game's a bogey.

I would tell her it was off unless she wanted to chip in as well.

If she really loves him she will understand.
  • thebaroness
    • 15th Sep 09, 10:14 PM
    • 15th Sep 09, 10:14 PM
    He should take her, and then learn not to make promises he can't keep! :-)
    • glossyhair
    • By glossyhair 15th Sep 09, 10:20 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    glossyhair
    • 15th Sep 09, 10:20 PM
    • 15th Sep 09, 10:20 PM
    As long as he actually has the money then he should tell her the truth and let her choose whether to go as planned or postpone the trip.

BTW, if it really was Edward and Bella . . . surely they could run there in a flash for free !!
    • Corona
    • By Corona 15th Sep 09, 10:26 PM
    • 864 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    Corona
    • 15th Sep 09, 10:26 PM
    • 15th Sep 09, 10:26 PM
    He should take her, and then learn not to make promises he can't keep! :-)
    Originally posted by thebaroness
    Agree absolutely!

If he's got the money, and he's already promised her (especially if he knows it's something she really wants) then it would be horrible of him to back out now. And I certainly wouldn't give her the responsibility by whining about the increased cost - he should bear it; he promised before checking prices; it's his problem. Be a man Edward !!
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 15th Sep 09, 10:40 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,129 Thanks
    luxor4t
    • 15th Sep 09, 10:40 PM
    • 15th Sep 09, 10:40 PM
    He could pay for her to go alone - sounds like she'd be better off without him :rolleyes:
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 15th Sep 09, 10:49 PM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    if it was my missus id explain that i couldnt afford it shed throw a strop wed have arow and id end up paying for it for feeling guilty
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
    • A.Jones
    • By A.Jones 15th Sep 09, 11:08 PM
    • 506 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    A.Jones
    Fly, it is cheaper than Eurostar.
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 15th Sep 09, 11:35 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    A promise is a promise. I don't know about Edward but I wouldn't break it. Actually, I am more likely to book it first, then tell her.
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • easy2
    If he knows what's good for him he better dig deep
  • Roy Boy
    Hmm well if he loves her or indeed really cares for her, the experience will be remembered long after the cost is forgotten. Just don't fuel her expectations if you are not going to deliver.
    • Richard019
    • By Richard019 16th Sep 09, 12:05 AM
    • 448 Posts
    • 154 Thanks
    Richard019
    I don't see what the romance part has to do with it.

If you tell anybody, whether it's your partner or a virtual stranger that you'll do something for them then you should do it. If you've made the mistake of not checking what it involved first then that's your problem.
  • yorkshireman99
    I'd ask her how she felt about going on a different date and explain that the money would be better spent buying her a good meal or some clothees rather than spending it on the higher fare.

I certainly wouldn't ask her to fly instead. By taking a cheap flight with one of the tin-pot no-frills carriers it certainly would make him look like a cheap-skate.
    • Sheepster
    • By Sheepster 16th Sep 09, 7:08 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    Sheepster
    A quick look at the AA shows there's a Paris just outside of Blackburn, Lancs, so he could be a total tightwad and take her there
    • rrockettman
    • By rrockettman 16th Sep 09, 8:13 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    rrockettman
    If he's got the money, go for it. You only live once, enjoy it!
    Russ.
    • tangojulie
    • By tangojulie 16th Sep 09, 8:16 AM
    • 91 Posts
    • 99 Thanks
    tangojulie
    Did he promise to take her FOR her birthday or ON her birthday?

I'm with Yorkshireman99, maybe a different date would be better anyway. If her birthday is in the middle of the week she might prefer to go away at the weekend and make a proper break of it.
  • frankslade
    Yes he blooming well should still take her and then that will teach him next time to do his research to get a better deal! Honestly, this money saving can turn people into right proper tightwad unromantics. My OH and I are both really poor, on a tight budget and live in separate countries but it doesn't stop the romance! If a couple are truly in love, they will find a way for romance and keeping promises despite the hardships they may encounter from it.
    The thing is, he promised her the trip and she got all really excited. And the point is, he can actually afford it, sounds like he just doesn't want to put his hand in his pocket for the extra!! He would have to be a bit of a g*t to change his mind because he was too late to get the best deal!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,640Posts Today

4,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • "Sabrina, you're young. I'm not sure you've the experience I'm looking for in a business partner." Eh? Isn't the pr? https://t.co/IeTxBQq2OU

• I am predicting the word myself will be misused 6 times in today;s boardroom. What do yourself think? #TheApprentice

• Not sure how I ever succeeded running a successful entreprise? After all my gardening and garden design skills are? https://t.co/FFnvkjsGDU

• Follow Martin