Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Bogof_Babe
    • By Bogof_Babe 1st Jan 05, 8:52 PM
    • 10,230 Posts
    • 16,809 Thanks
    Bogof_Babe
    • 1st Jan 05, 8:52 PM
    Re: left over beef ???
    • 1st Jan 05, 8:52 PM
    Well the obvious answer is sandwiches, but I don't see why you can't make a cottage pie or bolognese sauce with the beef as a base, padded out with other things.

Have you got a mincer? You might be surprised at how much a few slices turns into. Or you can add cooked rice, or oatmeal, to spin it out. Depends how many the resulting meal has to feed, but most things can be stretched. Even a tin of baked beans will eke the meat out.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 1st Jan 05, 11:05 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 1st Jan 05, 11:05 PM
    • 1st Jan 05, 11:05 PM
    How about a stir fry?
    • catznine
    • By catznine 2nd Jan 05, 1:17 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    • 2nd Jan 05, 1:17 AM
    • 2nd Jan 05, 1:17 AM
    You could freeze the slices in gravy to have later, perhaps as a meal for 2, or chopped up and added to fried rice.
    • Anne_Marie
    • By Anne_Marie 2nd Jan 05, 5:24 AM
    • 2,080 Posts
    • 3,436 Thanks
    Anne_Marie
    • 2nd Jan 05, 5:24 AM
    • 2nd Jan 05, 5:24 AM
    Cut meat into strips, place in tinfoil and heat in oven for about 10 mins. Serve in wraps/tortillas/pitta bread with salsa or spicy tomato sauce, salad, yoghourt and grated cheese.
    I use any left over meat/mince for this one. If mince, just make sure that gravy is well reduced, otherwise tortilla will be rather leaky!
    For vegetarians, left over quorn, tofu or veggie mince works great.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 2nd Jan 05, 12:22 PM
    • 17,946 Posts
    • 39,873 Thanks
    Glad
    • 2nd Jan 05, 12:22 PM
    • 2nd Jan 05, 12:22 PM
    tortilla idea sounds great
    I might cook extra meat just to try this ;D
    • elona
    • By elona 2nd Jan 05, 8:31 PM
    • 11,145 Posts
    • 63,416 Thanks
    elona
    • 2nd Jan 05, 8:31 PM
    • 2nd Jan 05, 8:31 PM
    How about making yorkshire pudding (7 inch) or more diameter , sicing meat adding gravy and putting inside.
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 2nd Jan 05, 9:51 PM
    • 3,968 Posts
    • 7,492 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 2nd Jan 05, 9:51 PM
    • 2nd Jan 05, 9:51 PM
    we used ours up today on a hot'n'spicy pizza.
    I just made the bread base,covered it with puree and chilli pepper (powder) then put the beef on cut into small pieces and mixed in a green pepper cut up too. Melted the cheese on top at last minute.
  • halloweenqueen
    • 2nd Jan 05, 10:00 PM
    • 2nd Jan 05, 10:00 PM
    My god - left over beef - whats that! Every bit is snaffled in our house very quickly! When I have had a tiny joint of meat I use the Yorkshire pudding trick!
    • Westywoodpecker
    • By Westywoodpecker 3rd Jan 05, 9:06 PM
    • 6,351 Posts
    • 13,508 Thanks
    Westywoodpecker
    Thank you for tortilla idea. I did this for tea tonight & it went done very well!
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 4th Jan 05, 5:39 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    I use Delia's rissole recipe whenever we have left over meat. Chop up the meat an onion and a couple of slices of bread in a processor, add some salt pepper and nutmag. Bind together with an egg, mould into balls, then fry. Delicious! I did this with the leftover turkey, went down much better than curry! ;D
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 4th Jan 05, 6:03 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    Probably too late, but I agree that Cottage Pie is not out of the question.

Add some veg e.g. carrots, peas, celery ... just about anything to pad it out.

Traditionally, Cottage Pie is made from left over roast beef and NOT raw mince! Also, it's used to "stretch" the budget. So you would have a roast beef dinner followed by another meal of Cottage Pie.

BTW ... I have kept cooked roast beef in the fridge, covered in foil, for 5 days and then made a Cottage Pie .. nothing wrong with that, in the food hygiene stakes
  • franky
    thanks for the ideas
    I made a cottage pie and padded it out like suggested
    but other ideas look tasty too, will have to keep buying joints slightly too big
  • redballoon
    What to do with half roast beef joint?
    What can i cook using peice of roast beef? it was left over from dinner. its boneless.
    Thanks in advance!!
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 1st May 06, 3:40 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi redballoon,

What about a pie? Fry some onions, add chopped up the left over beef, make a gravy and top with mashed potatoes?

Pink
  • redballoon
    ohh great! thanks, i have spuds as well.
  • sophiesmum
    i like to cut off some thin slices and lightly fry in olive oil with lots of thin sliced onions.Serve in a crusty baguette with a side salad and some garlic mayonnaise. Makes a really filling meal.

cut off a couple more thicker slices and dice,cook in slow cooker with onions carrots,stock etc add some lentils or barley makes a nice casserole.(you could add some potato too.)

You should be able to do both of these from half a joint.
    sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• sophiesmum
    DD likes to have sliced roast beef,onions,carrots peas and gravy served inside one of those big yorkshire puddings.

Or add small pieces to fried rice and vegetables,another DD favourite.

sophiesmum
    Reduce,re-use, recycle.

• Whitefiver
    • By Whitefiver 1st May 06, 4:45 PM
    • 600 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    Whitefiver
    How about Rissoles? If it is good enough for the Queen.....

Seriously, these are an excellent way of using up leftovers. I have a slight preference for the lamb variety, but beef is good too.

Regards,

White.
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 1st May 06, 5:35 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    How about Scottish Roastie?

In an ovenproof dish you layer up sliced potatoes, sliced onions and sliced beef, make as many layers as you like but finish with the potato. Pour over a some left over gravy (if it's thick thin it down with stock or water) or beef stock then bake for 30-40 mins till the spuds and onions are all cooked through
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,390Posts Today

6,356Users online

Martin's Twitter