Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Archna
    • By MSE Archna 8th May 06, 12:35 PM
    • 1,874Posts
    • 6,140Thanks
    MSE Archna
    0 WOW
    Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Tips
    • 8th May 06, 12:35 PM
    0 WOW
    Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Tips 8th May 06 at 12:35 PM

This thread is specifically to discuss

Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting

To report your tips and experiences: click reply

To discuss contact lenses: click here

To read the Contact Lens and Laser Eye Surgery Cost Cutting Article: click here
    Last edited by MSE Researcher; 16-06-2010 at 10:41 AM.
    Report inappropriate posts: forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

Page 44
    • mad_despot
    • By mad_despot 6th Jul 18, 1:19 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    mad_despot
    I had laser eye surgery on one eye quite some years at now, at Optimax. I'm afraid I strongly recommend people not to undergo this treatment.

While not terrible during the day, I have slight double vision all the time in the treated eye. However, in lower light conditions, by which I mean anywhere indoors, including in the office, at home etc, as well as outside at night, the vision in the treated eye is appalling - very hazy indeed, as well as significant 'halos' around light sources. The pupil expands beyond the treated area, this is what causes most of the side effects. I certainly would not be able to drive at night if I had had both eyes treated. As it is, I wear a contact lens in my untreated eye, so I'm not much better off than before.

Realise that those offering laser treatment are making money out of it, so you can never rely on what they tell you about the proportion of people who experience issues, or the extent of those issues. There are other treatments, such as permanent contact lenses, which may be a better option, although I don't know enough to comment on these.

My advice is, don't have this surgery.
    Last edited by mad_despot; 06-07-2018 at 1:20 PM. Reason: Removal of blank lines
    • Chrisb1990
    • By Chrisb1990 7th Jul 18, 10:08 AM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisb1990
    Mad despot there are mixed reviews with many having no issues at all but great eyes. Did you have lasik or lasek? Because normally if you don't get the outcome you would like they do corrective surgery to fix it. Also why did you only have it done in one eye?
    • mad_despot
    • By mad_despot 7th Jul 18, 3:53 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    mad_despot
    Mad despot there are mixed reviews with many having no issues at all but great eyes. Did you have lasik or lasek? Because normally if you don't get the outcome you would like they do corrective surgery to fix it. Also why did you only have it done in one eye?
    Originally posted by Chrisb1990
    I had PRK, which generally has fewer complications than lasik, as there are not the problems associated with the corneal flap, and they treat a larger area; however, they still only treated, I believe, 6.5mm, which many people's pupils will often expand beyond. I believe the treated area is under 5mm with lasik, hence leading to worse starburst issues etc.

It was the policy when I had it done to treat one eye at a time, probably because PRK required more healing time. I'm very glad indeed that I didn't have both eyes done.

It's always hard to believe the reviews of anything that you read on the internet. Even in this thread, who's to say that someone in the business of offering this type of surgery isn't posting made up reviews?

Yes, some people say they've had a great result, but, along with plenty of others, I strongly advise people not to do it. If you are really determined to have it, at least have one eye done (they treat your worst eye first) and wait until that's fully healed before deciding whether to have the other eye treated; you may well decide not to have the other eye treated as I did.
    Last edited by mad_despot; 07-07-2018 at 6:19 PM. Reason: Removal of apostrophe
    • Chrisb1990
    • By Chrisb1990 8th Jul 18, 12:10 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisb1990
    Lasik has fewer complications because the flap is put back down after so only need to heal around the edge. Lasek the whole thing has to grow back which means you can take weeks to recover fully. I know people myself who have had it done and have had no complications so it wasn't just from reviews, however trust-pilot is a good source still.

The laser optical express use at bluewater which is where I am having it done is a laser called visx which has a 9mm treatment area so I guess it was older technology used when you had a it done.

There are better lasers out there like the German schwind laser but I believe that would mean a travel to london and im not sure if optical express have that I think its Optimax. Optimax however don't have a better laser down this way than optical express.
    • mad_despot
    • By mad_despot 11th Jul 18, 3:10 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    mad_despot
    Crisb1990, I recommend you have a good look at this website:

http://lasikcomplications.com

and this page:

http://lasikcomplications.com/largepupils.htm

They don't treat 9mm, there is a blend zone, but the treated area is not more than 6.5mm. The lens area of my contact lens is 8.5mm by comparison and my pupil extends a fraction beyond that. Believe me, when your pupil expands 2mm beyond the treated area, the vision is very poor indeed.

You certainly need to have your pupils measured in low light (mine get larger after exercise I've noticed).

Having a flap cut in your eye brings with it various potential complications.

The trouble is, the vast majority of information you can read about this surgery on the internet is provided by those with a vested interest in downplaying the risks, i.e. those who are making money out of offering this procedure.
    • Chrisb1990
    • By Chrisb1990 15th Jul 18, 9:32 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisb1990
    Mad_despot, I had my surgery on Tuesday and the results have been absolutely amazing. By the very next day I had better than 20 20 vision and it just continues to get better. Best thing I have every spent my money on imo.
    • JEN22
    • By JEN22 16th Jul 18, 3:58 PM
    • 453 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    JEN22
    where did u get it done
    • Chrisb1990
    • By Chrisb1990 17th Jul 18, 10:37 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Chrisb1990
    Optical Express
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,321Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Donald Trump has apologised and admits he said would when he meant "wouldn't" when siding with Putin over US inte? https://t.co/z1CRJSkEO1

• About to watch #AckleyBridge on C4+1. I do enjoy it, even though I always feel somewhat stressed and depressed after watching.

• RT @stevenowottny: 19/30 UK airports now charge you for spending 10 mins dropping someone off at the terminal - good investigation from @je?

• Follow Martin