Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Have you experienced unusual sole degradation on shoes?

Yes, They were Ecco shoes

18.03% • 22 votes

Yes, They were another brand

22.95% • 28 votes

No, I have owned Ecco and had no trouble

28.69% • 35 votes

No, I have never had any problems with any brand

36.89% • 45 votes

You may not vote on this poll

122 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • makintracks
    • By makintracks 9th Sep 09, 2:32 PM
    • 66Posts
    • 46Thanks
    makintracks
    Ecco Shoes - They rot whether you wear them or not!
    • 9th Sep 09, 2:32 PM
    Ecco Shoes - They rot whether you wear them or not! 9th Sep 09 at 2:32 PM
    Some years ago I found some really nice Ecco ladies boots that were so comfy and good looking that I decided to go back and get another pair to save for later. At the time I went back to the store, the staff told me that this particular style of shoe was to be discontinued shortly, so I decided to buy a couple more pairs to keep. I hate buying shoes and finding comfy shoes that look nice too..... well it is nearly impossible for me.

I wore the first pair for a good few years and eventually put them out to pasture when the soles started to degrade. I started wearing the second pair and after only a few years, the soles again started to degrade and literally fall to pieces. However, I figured I had a reasonable amount of wear from them, albeit not nearly as good as the first pair. I was now onto the third pair and grateful I had bought them!

The third pair started to degrade after only a year or two with the soles again starting to fall to pieces. This was very disappointing on shoes that cost in excess of 100. The whole reason I am prepared to pay more for supposedly decent shoes is that they last longer than cheap rubbish. I thought it would be best to write to Ecco about this and popped them in a cupboard while I moved onto my last pair of shoes.

Procrastination led to the final pair starting to fall to pieces in exactly the same way before I got round to discussing this problem with Ecco in the UK. The final pair again only lasted a year or so. Disgraceful for a top quality pair of leather shoes. However, I thought the fact that I had in my posession two out of four pairs of shoes that failed in exactly the same way, would mean some help would be forthcoming from Ecco. In the meantime my husbands Ecco boots started to do exactly the same thing.

We sent the three pairs of shoes to Ecco by courier and waited for a response. After a few weeks a letter arrived to say that the ladies shoes dated back some ten years and they were not going to do anything about this as it was old age that caused the degradation. They were however prepared to give my husband a new pair of shoes at a discount - not free, because they felt he had not had full wear from his shoes before they degraded!

We telephoned to explain that although the model of ladies shoe was indeed old, these shoes had been stored and not worn for the majority of the time due to buying extra pairs. They were simply not interested. Silly me for thinking that a brand like Ecco could be trusted for quality. Whatever you do don't ever buy more than one pair of shoes, even if you really like them, because whether you wear them or not - THEY WILL ROT!

I will certainly never buy another pair of Ecco shoes. Ecco is another example of a company that couldn't care less about the people that pay their wages. They spend millions in advertising to get new customers, but compensating those who have loyally supported them for loss due to no fault of their own is obviously a bridge too far. Shame on you Ecco.

I am posting a poll to see if anybody else has had similar struggles with shoes degrading, be they Ecco or not.
Page 4
    • JJG
    • By JJG 23rd Feb 17, 12:23 PM
    • 274 Posts
    • 326 Thanks
    JJG
    Found this post when my Ecco boots which had only been worn Twice had sole separating. They were bought in 2008 but kept in thei box with all the storage items such as dehumidifiers as had not needed to wear them until recently. I telephoned customer service who said I needed to take them to one of their shops before they could do anything. I duly trudged to Oxford Street shop (with all the costs involved). First they offered a small 10% discount on another pair, which obviously not attractive, then some bod came out, did not introduce himself, said they were going to do nothing for me. So I said "don't you stand behind your product" and he said NO. So there it is. I was sent on a wild goose trip by their customer services and then effectively told that the staff don't believe in their product. There is clearly a production problem as there are so many issues worldwide. I looked st an older pair of Ecco boots where sole was stitched and they are fine. I will not buy Ecco again and am advising my walking group colleagues of their poor service. How to destroy a brand!
    Originally posted by Datalady
    Issues of people buying their product and then storing them for almost a decade!!!!. And then complaining that they want a refund. Why does nobody seem to buy Ecco shoes and then wear them straight away?
    • Gleeful
    • By Gleeful 23rd Feb 17, 1:57 PM
    • 1,923 Posts
    • 7,405 Thanks
    Gleeful
    Issues of people buying their product and then storing them for almost a decade!!!!. And then complaining that they want a refund. Why does nobody seem to buy Ecco shoes and then wear them straight away?
    Originally posted by JJG
    Because they are ugly shoes
    • missile
    • By missile 19th Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    • 9,479 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    missile
    The third pair started to degrade after only a year or two with the soles again starting to fall to pieces.
    A year or two seems very good to me. I like ecco shoes :-)
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 20th Dec 17, 2:37 PM
    • 20,342 Posts
    • 16,116 Thanks
    agrinnall
    A year or two seems very good to me. I like ecco shoes :-)
    Originally posted by missile
    You've excelled yourself this time, quoting a post from over 8 years ago! (Although I still wear a pair of Ecco shoes that are 11 years old, so even older than this thread, and not rotting in any way).
    • boliston
    • By boliston 23rd Dec 17, 8:30 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    boliston
    I had a pair of ecco sandals purchased in 2005 that started to degrade a couple of years ago but they were so comfortable I kept wearing them till most of the sole had crumbled away! When I replaced them this year the ecco shop assistant was amazed someone was still wearing sandals that had crumbled away so much
    • missile
    • By missile 26th Dec 17, 12:22 AM
    • 9,479 Posts
    • 4,715 Thanks
    missile
    You've excelled yourself this time, quoting a post from over 8 years ago! (Although I still wear a pair of Ecco shoes that are 11 years old, so even older than this thread, and not rotting in any way).
    Originally posted by agrinnall
    It wasn't me who resurrected this old thread and if it is of no interest to you, what is your excuse for commenting?
    Sounds like bovine excretion.
    from you
    Last edited by missile; 26-12-2017 at 12:28 AM.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • boliston
    • By boliston 26th Dec 17, 3:06 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    boliston
    Because they are ugly shoes
    Originally posted by Gleeful
    how many people walk along looking at their shoes?
    (must be bad for the posture if you do)
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 9th Jan 18, 2:20 PM
    • 20,342 Posts
    • 16,116 Thanks
    agrinnall
    It wasn't me who resurrected this old thread...
    Originally posted by missile
    Nobody had posted for 10 months before you did, so yes, you did resurrect it.
    • LilElvis
    • By LilElvis 9th Jan 18, 4:34 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 9,954 Thanks
    LilElvis
    Nobody had posted for 10 months before you did, so yes, you did resurrect it.
    Not necessarily. If someone else found the thread and voted in the poll then that action would bump the thread without a new post.

A thread currently on the Marriage board shows as having been updated within the last hour yet the last post was made several days ago. Someone voted in the poll at 3.35.
    • lr1277
    • By lr1277 12th Jan 18, 12:01 PM
    • 551 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    lr1277
    I had a pair of ecco sandals purchased in 2005 that started to degrade a couple of years ago but they were so comfortable I kept wearing them till most of the sole had crumbled away! When I replaced them this year the ecco shop assistant was amazed someone was still wearing sandals that had crumbled away so much
    Originally posted by boliston
    I too bought a pair of Ecco sandals in 2005 in the US. Returned there in 2006 and thought I was wearing the sandals so much, I bought a 2nd pair to replace the first when they wore out.

Well the first pair didn't wear out till September 2017. Yes there was a hole in the sole, but after wearing every day for every summer since 2005, I was impressed.

Have now started wearing the pair bought in 2006. Here's to another 12 years.
    • owen_money
    • By owen_money 10th Feb 18, 6:03 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 585 Thanks
    owen_money
    I've had the gusset rot on my 10 year old pants but not my shoes, can I sue?
    One man's folly is another man's wife. Helen Roland (1876 - 1950)
    • Timnbit
    • By Timnbit 24th Apr 18, 11:38 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Timnbit
    ECCO Shoes fail with age not wear
    I purchased a pair of ECCO dress shoes and wore them occasionally. The uppers are in great shape but they have fallen apart.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

90Posts Today

1,872Users online

Martin's Twitter