Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • crazymom
    • 3rd May 06, 11:31 AM
    • 3rd May 06, 11:31 AM
    Hi, Not sure about the use by date on salt affecting Bread but i use Lo salt in my BM and have had no problems with it.

I was under the impression that salt never went off either but as its Lo salt it could be a different story!

Sorry couldnt be much more help!

Ed
    Love is all around!

2 savers - 6 30/4/06
    20p savers -0.60 30/4/06
  • kittiwoz
    • 3rd May 06, 2:30 PM
    • 3rd May 06, 2:30 PM
    All foods sold have to display an expiry date by law. My housemates dad keeps bees and sells some honey. He dates them for his sister's birthday in two years time because he thinks people will have finished the jar by then.

Salt doesn't go off. It's a fantastic preservative after all. Sailors used to take salted meat on sea voyages of several years.
  • hendersonb
    • 3rd May 06, 3:55 PM
    • 3rd May 06, 3:55 PM
    I didn't have a best before date on sugar - says it will last forever as long as it is stored correctly
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 3rd May 06, 4:31 PM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,995 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 3rd May 06, 4:31 PM
    • 3rd May 06, 4:31 PM
    All foods sold have to display an expiry date by law.
    by kittiwoz
    Well sugar and salt both flout the law then. I have never seen a expiry date on either salt or sugar and I use to stack sugar in a supermarket.

The only type of sugar that will have expiry date is processed sugar like sugar cubes, icing sugar etc. But what I call table sugar which is the stuff in the kilo bags you put in tea and the brown sugar do not have dates on them.

Sugar and salt have always been used to preserve things so they technically last for ever.

Lo-salt is not like table salt so assume it must have a expiry date on it.

Yours

Calley
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 3rd May 06, 4:45 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 3rd May 06, 4:45 PM
    • 3rd May 06, 4:45 PM
    Sugar does not go off and therefore does not need an expiry date.They've found some in the pyramids apparently and it was still OK.Sugar and salt are natural preservatives,so I don't see how they can go off:confused:
    • joey-lou
    • By joey-lou 3rd May 06, 5:32 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 455 Thanks
    joey-lou
    • 3rd May 06, 5:32 PM
    • 3rd May 06, 5:32 PM
    All foods sold have to display an expiry date by law. My housemates dad keeps bees and sells some honey. He dates them for his sister's birthday in two years time because he thinks people will have finished the jar by then.

Salt doesn't go off. It's a fantastic preservative after all. Sailors used to take salted meat on sea voyages of several years.
    by kittiwoz
    This isn't true MOST foods have to have a sell by date on them there are a list of exceptions including salt/sugar/vinegar/chocolate(cocoa based products)/chewing gum and a few weird ones I can't remember (I had to implement the change of law for Somerfields a long time ago) HOWEVER people now expect dates on everything so the companys willingly oblige -anything to get people to spend more.
  • kittiwoz
    • 3rd May 06, 6:27 PM
    • 3rd May 06, 6:27 PM
    Soz. Just what my housemate told me.
  • fluffynit
    • 3rd May 06, 6:36 PM
    • 3rd May 06, 6:36 PM
    Thanks for all replies..I would use the thanks button but it has disappeared again. Loaf tasted fine too!

fluffynit
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,338Posts Today

7,995Users online

Martin's Twitter