Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • spinningsheep
    • By spinningsheep 3rd Sep 09, 1:05 PM
    • 964Posts
    • 749Thanks
    spinningsheep
    Just been on a minibreak and over spent feel so ashamed.
    • 3rd Sep 09, 1:05 PM
    Just been on a minibreak and over spent feel so ashamed. 3rd Sep 09 at 1:05 PM
    Hi. I write this on the train coming home from a couple of days away in Blackpool. It is the closest I will get to a holiday this year and went with 2 friends and we had an amazing time despite the cr*p weather! I saved up and set me a budget of £150 for the whole trip, really worked hard to get the best deal on the train and hotel and that came in at £63, but I have overspent by about £40 and I feel so stupid. I spent £20 on a palm reading! Part of me says " it was your sort of holiday for 2009 so just remember you enjoyed it" whereas another part says "that £40 was your travel money for the month you idiot". IVA is pending to start and I really feel so un-moneysaving at the moment. Sorry this post has no purpose other than for me to sort of vent

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 08-09-2009 at 8:36 PM.
Page 1
  • determinedtodothis
    • 3rd Sep 09, 1:13 PM
    • 3rd Sep 09, 1:13 PM
    We all do that now and again i'm sure, your only human! i do it all the time..usually with the food bill and then I feel terrible but it kinda spurs me on, something I realised was that I had spent many years being silly with money and it took me a good while to re-train myself

Unfortunatley hind sight is a wonderful thing - just think that was my holiday for this year as the old me and from today its the new MSE me that will be more strict!

What did she say anyways? no lottery win or millionaire on the horizon?
    TOTAL: (1.9.2008) £20,971.00 (02.12.10)£11,006.07
    £9,262.93 Paid off (Since LBM)
    Debt Free Date 2021 2015
    Savings £100 Dec NSD 11/20, Sealed pot challenger 1043
    • Primula
    • By Primula 3rd Sep 09, 4:33 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    Primula
    • 3rd Sep 09, 4:33 PM
    • 3rd Sep 09, 4:33 PM
    Don't beat yourself up, TBH it could have been a lot worse, you enjoyed it, so just get back to your money saving ways now and don't give yourself a hard time.
    • BlondeHeadOn
    • By BlondeHeadOn 3rd Sep 09, 4:47 PM
    • 2,208 Posts
    • 2,963 Thanks
    BlondeHeadOn
    • 3rd Sep 09, 4:47 PM
    • 3rd Sep 09, 4:47 PM
    But did the palm reading say you were going to be rich?? That's the important thing....

Honestly, don't beat yourself up about it - so long as you had a good time anyway.

• pebblespop
    • 3rd Sep 09, 4:52 PM
    • 3rd Sep 09, 4:52 PM
    i spent money i didn't really have on a pair of boots yesterday. they were £30 (reduced from £100) and i did need them for winter and they were a lot less than i would normally pay.

anyway, i went on quidco last night and did some of the free offers to make up what i had spent so i would feel a bit better!!

could you sell on ebay or something to get the money back?
    • lola34
    • By lola34 3rd Sep 09, 4:55 PM
    • 1,202 Posts
    • 3,557 Thanks
    lola34
    • 3rd Sep 09, 4:55 PM
    • 3rd Sep 09, 4:55 PM
    I wouldn't beat yourself up about it, I know we all try to save and cut back etc but as you said it was your only hol and you have to treat yourself sometimes, we went to York bank hol and spent £150 in a day inc meal for 4 but it was a treat so don't worry
    • ElkyElky
    • By ElkyElky 3rd Sep 09, 5:01 PM
    • 2,422 Posts
    • 2,739 Thanks
    ElkyElky
    • 3rd Sep 09, 5:01 PM
    As the others said.. don't beat yourself up. You were on holiday and we're all entitled to indulge in things we enjoy, now and again.

On the bright side, could have been worse.

I spent £1500 in one shop, just last month... when I could have used it to pay off the credit cards. Everyone does it.
    We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • anh1904
    • By anh1904 3rd Sep 09, 5:01 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 1,266 Thanks
    anh1904
    Firstly, Don't beat yourself up. Hey, you've got to live, and if you feel resentful too much, you will miss the memory of the holiday and the fun you hopefully had with your friends.

It is our little financial misdemeanours which teach us to be so much more than we were.

It's done it's gone. End of.
    Like all revolutions, guerrilla goodness begins slowly, with a single act. Let it be yours.

Practice random acts of kindness and senseless acts of beauty.
    • nicnacnoo
    • By nicnacnoo 3rd Sep 09, 5:06 PM
    • 405 Posts
    • 1,343 Thanks
    nicnacnoo
    • 3rd Sep 09, 5:06 PM
    • 3rd Sep 09, 5:06 PM
    some great advice and encouragement for you there spinningsheep, hope you had a great time (i love Blackpool) I've got my holiday coming up and need to think about how much i want to take.
    • Primula
    • By Primula 3rd Sep 09, 8:53 PM
    • 951 Posts
    • 2,167 Thanks
    Primula
    As the others said.. don't beat yourself up. You were on holiday and we're all entitled to indulge in things we enjoy, now and again.

On the bright side, could have been worse.

I spent £1500 in one shop, just last month... when I could have used it to pay off the credit cards. Everyone does it.
    Originally posted by ElkyElky

Now I am intrigued, what did you buy?!!
    • Teenie D
    • By Teenie D 3rd Sep 09, 9:05 PM
    • 2,087 Posts
    • 8,309 Thanks
    Teenie D
    Aw don't worry about it you could have spent a lot more!

I done the same thing last month when I was on holiday, we didn't really go anywhere just a couple of days out with our wee one. I was so annoyed when I realised how much we had overspent but then thought well its done now cant do anything about it and we had a really nice time, which is the main thing. Just going to have to tighten our belts this month, it'll be fine (she says lol!)
    "That's no reason to cry. One cries because one is sad. For example, I cry because others are stupid, and that makes me sad."
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Sep 09, 9:13 PM
    • 58,084 Posts
    • 239,318 Thanks
    beanielou
    Let it go & move on.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. MFW 2018. No 144
    • Enterprise 1701C
    • By Enterprise 1701C 9th Sep 09, 7:47 AM
    • 20,433 Posts
    • 215,831 Thanks
    Enterprise 1701C
    You went on holiday. You had a good time. It cost you slightly more. Think about what you have saved and will save through this site. By the sound of it it may be the last chance you get to have a holiday for a short while so relax and forget about the extra spend, the whole thing would have probably cost you that much more without your hard work in researching the whole thing anyway!
    What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare
    • Beckymarshall07
    • By Beckymarshall07 9th Sep 09, 7:54 AM
    • 147 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    Beckymarshall07
    Dont be down - it happens to the best of us. Just see this as a lesson learnt..sometimes we have to make mistakes so that we wont repeat them again in future.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 9th Sep 09, 8:38 AM
    • 17,698 Posts
    • 31,280 Thanks
    Ames
    I did exactly the same thing the other week, though my trip overspend was a lot more than £40. You could set yourself a goal to 'pay it back' in, trying to save the odd pound here and there.

And think positively, you know you overspent - I bet before lbm you wouldn't even have had a budget, and if you did you'd have been thinking 'oh it's only £40, so what'. So see it as a sign of how far you've come!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • pepe2008
    Nobody said that we have to live like paupers or hermits whilst we are paying off our debts.
    And anyone who does think that way is a fool.
    stay wonky

....one-way ticket to Portugal booked !
    • spinningsheep
    • By spinningsheep 9th Sep 09, 12:56 PM
    • 964 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    spinningsheep
    cheers guys, been so busy this week so haven't had time to come online, but on the brightside I have just done my "virtual shopping list" on sainsburys online and by switching to basics for all but a couple of things my shopping for about 2 weeks is £60 and thats including some beer (only cheap muck but I dont go out!) so happy there! Thanks for all your kind words guys!
    • hummingbird
    • By hummingbird 9th Sep 09, 1:48 PM
    • 1,423 Posts
    • 7,420 Thanks
    hummingbird
    I've also done the same, overspent on my holiday, but I had a fabulous time & have lots of happy memories! Anyway, I've taken some inspiration from the idea of setting myself a challenge to "pay it back"!! Thanks everyone!
    • curly cabbage
    • By curly cabbage 9th Sep 09, 2:01 PM
    • 446 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    curly cabbage
    I had a few day's in Blackpool and it was really good and my son loved jumping on and off the trams. What i would say is remember how you feel now about the over spend an in the future when you are considering spend over your budget think back to how bad you felt and that may make you think twice. Then at least somthing positive has come out of it.

CC
    • BEAT THE DEBT
    • By BEAT THE DEBT 9th Sep 09, 6:18 PM
    • 2,136 Posts
    • 5,123 Thanks
    BEAT THE DEBT
    I think that the fact it is bothering you shows how much you have changed so well done for that!x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,668Posts Today

9,756Users online

Martin's Twitter