Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    hendersonb
    Frozen Vegtables
    • 2nd May 06, 8:57 PM
    Frozen Vegtables 2nd May 06 at 8:57 PM
    I was wondering which frozen veg I should buy for keeping in the freezer, at the moment i'm buying fresh stuff but i'm finding that I usually end up having to throw a lot of it away.

Also if I use frozen veg how do i cook with it? Do i need to leave it out to defrost and then use as recipies tell me? I see tesco does a fair bit of frozen veg like chopped onions, coliflour, peas, sweetcorn, carrots.

I like casserols and the like but hate having to run out to the shops every few days to get some fresh veg.
Page 1
    • Chell
    • By Chell 2nd May 06, 9:09 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    • 2nd May 06, 9:09 PM
    • 2nd May 06, 9:09 PM
    I only buy frozen sweetcorn, peas and baby sweetcorns. I use them from frozen. I find veg like cauliflower/brocoli are over cooked when you use the frozen varieties.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 2nd May 06, 9:17 PM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 2nd May 06, 9:17 PM
    • 2nd May 06, 9:17 PM
    I buy frozen peas, carrots, green beans and broccoli.

I use them in a steamer and cook from frozen.

If you are buying fresh but finding you are not eating it then chop it up and blanch it then plunge it in to ice water drain and then freeze.

Your own frozen veg and no waste.

Yours

Calley
    • Chell
    • By Chell 2nd May 06, 9:23 PM
    • 1,674 Posts
    • 3,261 Thanks
    Chell
    • 2nd May 06, 9:23 PM
    • 2nd May 06, 9:23 PM
    If I have veg going off I tend to make a pot of soup/curry or somethign dimilar which I can then freeze.
    Since joining this site and trying to stick to a grocery budget I waste nothing.
    Nevermind the dog, beware of the kids!
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 3rd May 06, 9:19 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 3rd May 06, 9:19 AM
    • 3rd May 06, 9:19 AM
    i have frozen peas and broccoli in my freezer. FInd that both are great frozen. I usually steam or boil broccoli from frozen, and just chuck and handful of peas into things like stews straight from the freezer.

I also have chips - do they count as frozen veg? :lol:
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • shetitasatic
    • 3rd May 06, 9:46 AM
    • 3rd May 06, 9:46 AM
    I keep Tesco frozen sliced mushrooms , and their sliced peppers, especially in winter. They are ideal to use with vegi-mince and a tin of tomatoes as a base for spag bol etc. They are also handy to pad out curry sauce and to use when making a quick pasta sauce with bacon or tuna, pesto and creme fraiche.
  • Gingham Ribbon
    • 3rd May 06, 9:51 AM
    • 3rd May 06, 9:51 AM
    I use frozen peas and sweetcorn.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • troll35
    • By troll35 3rd May 06, 10:12 AM
    • 692 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    troll35
    • 3rd May 06, 10:12 AM
    • 3rd May 06, 10:12 AM
    I use frozen peas, sweetcorn, green beans and spinach.

Hendersonb - how are you storing your veg? I put most of mine in the fridge except potatos and onions. I remove all plastic packaging and I put a layer of folded newspaper in the bottom of my salad trays in the fridge to absorb moisture (the veg gets washed before cooking!) I find most things will last for a couple of weeks at least.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land
    • nuttyrockeress
    • By nuttyrockeress 3rd May 06, 11:14 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 3,802 Thanks
    nuttyrockeress
    • 3rd May 06, 11:14 AM
    • 3rd May 06, 11:14 AM
    Try the mega indexed thread there are lots of discussions regarding freezing veg etc!
    It's nice to be nutty but's more important to be nice
    • Linda32
    • By Linda32 3rd May 06, 11:19 AM
    • 4,296 Posts
    • 9,428 Thanks
    Linda32
    I buy frozen pea's but we're growing peas this year for the first time, so maybe I'll have my own.

Apart from that, I normally buy one of those "stew packs", chop them all up into about inch and a half cubes, and blanch them.

That gives us about 6 - 7 servings for two of us.
  • Noozan
    I keep frozen peas in the freezer and just throw a handful into whatever dish requires it. I also have fresh tomatoes frozen from last summer's glut, which I use in soups and pasta sauces. I use these from frozen too.

I have a friend that insists that their frozen carrots, brocolli and cauliflower need to be steamed for 1 hr 20 mins! :confused:
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • rchddap1
    we're growing peas this year for the first time, so maybe I'll have my own.
    by Linda32
    Strongly doubt any would make it to the cooker or the freezer, or last longer than 5 seconds. Fresh home grown peas are lovely.....and they tend to get eaten straight from the pod and never make it anywhere near a cooking or freezing device of any sort. Far too nice to cook.
    Baby Year 1: Oh dear...on the move

Lily contracted Strep B Meningitis Dec 2006 Now seemingly a normal little monster.
    Love to my two angels that I will never forget.
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 3rd May 06, 2:08 PM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw

I have a friend that insists that their frozen carrots, brocolli and cauliflower need to be steamed for 1 hr 20 mins! :confused:
    by Noozan

I use an electric steamer and I steam for between 30-40 mins from frozen. if I am in hurry up mode I boil a kettle and pour it over before it goes in the steamer takes a few mins off total steam time.

Yours

Calley
    • Smashing Blouse
    • By Smashing Blouse 3rd May 06, 2:14 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    Smashing Blouse
    I only steam frozen veg for about 10 minutes. Any longer than that and they go too soggy and lose their taste
    I wish that, I knew what I know now,when I was younger.
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    I buy frozen petit pois and sweetcorn.

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
  • hendersonb
    I use frozen peas, sweetcorn, green beans and spinach.

Hendersonb - how are you storing your veg? I put most of mine in the fridge except potatos and onions. I remove all plastic packaging and I put a layer of folded newspaper in the bottom of my salad trays in the fridge to absorb moisture (the veg gets washed before cooking!) I find most things will last for a couple of weeks at least.
    by troll35
    Potatoes I throw the bag in the cupboard, the other veg i throw in to the tray at the bottom of the fridge, I never take anything out of the bags etc.
    Will it last longer if I remove thingts from their bags and put newspaper in the bottom of the trays?
    • Stompa
    • By Stompa 3rd May 06, 3:41 PM
    • 7,876 Posts
    • 3,907 Thanks
    Stompa
    Much as I hate to display any sort of brand loyalty I've always found Birds Eye frozen peas much better than the rest. Has anybody found any alternative (cheaper) makes that are just as good?
    Stompa
  • Penny-Pincher!!
    I use Asda petit pois and sweetcorn and they are lovely!

PP
    xx
    To repeat what others have said, requires education, to challenge it,
    requires brains!

FEB GC/DIESEL 200/4 WEEKS
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 3rd May 06, 4:26 PM
    • 9,158 Posts
    • 16,994 Thanks
    calleyw
    I only steam frozen veg for about 10 minutes. Any longer than that and they go too soggy and lose their taste
    by Smashing Blouse
    I would love to know how you manage to steam frozen veg for ten minutes and it be cooked.

My veggies would never be cooked in that amount time and I have electric steamer that produces steam in seconds.

Mind you I do prefer my veggies to be on the softer side rather than crunchy side. Might as well eat them raw if that is what I wanted.

Also when I steam veg I cook potatoes in the bottom tier.

Yours

Calley
    • troll35
    • By troll35 3rd May 06, 5:34 PM
    • 692 Posts
    • 787 Thanks
    troll35
    hendersonb - if you leave the veg in their packaging you tend to get condensation forming around the veg. This speeds up the decaying process and the veg tends to go mushy. I've tried a number of different absorbent materials in the fridge (eg.kitchen roll)but have found that newspaper works best. I change it once a week. Without the newspaper I find I get a small pool of water collecting in the bottom of the salad trays.
    Last edited by troll35; 03-05-2006 at 5:36 PM.
    I like to live in cloud cuckoo land
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

73Posts Today

1,839Users online

Martin's Twitter