Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 31st Dec 04, 10:38 AM
    • 16,404Posts
    • 140,199Thanks
    JackieO
    cooking for one
    • 31st Dec 04, 10:38 AM
    cooking for one 31st Dec 04 at 10:38 AM
    Hi,
    I am a widow of just over a year and I'm fed up with eating jacket spuds and salad.Does anyone know of a reasonable(cheap) recipe book that I can buy that gives recipes for one.My freezer is full of left over mince and I would like to eat something different for a change.
    Great site by the way,I am disabled and have recently aquired a discount card for the cinema via web-sites listed on here,also a discount card for travel to the Isle of wight via ferry.Whe you live on a fixed income any discount helps no matter what.
    Happy New Year to all on this site
Page 1
    • tru
    • By tru 31st Dec 04, 10:54 AM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 45,903 Thanks
    tru
    • 31st Dec 04, 10:54 AM
    Re: cooking for one
    • 31st Dec 04, 10:54 AM
    Hi

There's some recipes HERE and HERE. Some of the posts have links to recipes books
  • Sofa_Sogood
    • 31st Dec 04, 10:57 AM
    • 31st Dec 04, 10:57 AM
    Sites like Sainsbury's have recipes for meals for one etc Jackie. And one pot meals type of thing. A quick Google should find it.

HTH
  • Sofa_Sogood
    • 31st Dec 04, 10:59 AM
    • 31st Dec 04, 10:59 AM
    Hi

There's some recipes HERE and HERE. !Some of the posts have links to recipes books
    Didn't realise you'd answered troo, but even better.

No need to leave the site!
    • tru
    • By tru 31st Dec 04, 11:02 AM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 45,903 Thanks
    tru
    • 31st Dec 04, 11:02 AM
    • 31st Dec 04, 11:02 AM
    ;D

There was another thread, called 'The Recipe Thread', I'm sure I saw it the other day but I can't find it :-/ Mind you I haven't woken up properly yet ;D
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 31st Dec 04, 11:20 AM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 2,674 Thanks
    jaybee
    • 31st Dec 04, 11:20 AM
    • 31st Dec 04, 11:20 AM
    There is a book by Delia Smith called One Is Fun which you should be able to get at your library. I think it's also available in paperback in bookshops. I also think I remember seeing some solo recipes on her website.
    • elona
    • By elona 31st Dec 04, 1:31 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 62,422 Thanks
    elona
    • 31st Dec 04, 1:31 PM
    • 31st Dec 04, 1:31 PM
    There is a paperback by Shirley Goode on cooking for one with very good down to earth ideas and no overly fancy recipes.
    • Glad
    • By Glad 31st Dec 04, 1:51 PM
    • 17,915 Posts
    • 39,685 Thanks
    Glad
    • 31st Dec 04, 1:51 PM
    • 31st Dec 04, 1:51 PM
    why not cook more elaborate meals for 2 and freeze one portion
  • Queenie
    • 2nd Jan 05, 12:33 PM
    • 2nd Jan 05, 12:33 PM
    As stated above, you could cook a "family" recipe and freeze the remaining 3 portions - great economy on cooking fuel and washing up too.

Alternatively, look around the library (free!) or bookstores for *student* cookery books - nearly always geared towards meals for one or two, definately geared towards thrift and for those occasions where you have company, they include recipes for entertaining.

Another alternative is ... if you know of other "singles" in your area, get to know them, club together and do the rounds taking it in turns to cook for one another and to help save on buying bulk buy items to share out.
    (This might also be a good way to get to know others, as I am sure that it is very hard returning to "single" status when you are grieving on top (((hugs))) )

HTH
  • halloweenqueen
    My usual one I trot out is the all in one recipe for a roast dinner!! A chicken portion or a chop or small bit of meat popped into a baking tray, cover with gravy - I just mix up some bisto and chuck over! Then pop in potatoes carrots etc and let it cook - One pan to wash up and if you have a guest just double the quantity.
    May I extend my condolences - belated as they are.
    • scrimperjan
    • By scrimperjan 3rd Jan 05, 12:54 AM
    • 215 Posts
    • 290 Thanks
    scrimperjan
    The book mentioned by Elona is called 'Goode for One', I would also recommend it, not just for the recipes but also for the inspirational budgetting strategy. I think it's out of print now but I just looked on Amazon and they have copies available from 50p!
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 5th Jan 05, 1:59 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    The book mentioned by Elona is called 'Goode for One', I would also recommend it, not just for the recipes but also for the inspirational budgetting strategy. !I think it's out of print now but I just looked on Amazon and they have copies available from 50p!

I would also recommend this book. It is certainly inspirational. I have just been given a freezer (a family cast off) and sanata brought me a microwave this year so I ahve started to cook double prtions and freeze for another day.

The moneysavers on this site have given me loads of ideas on cooking for one and some of the best are in the recipe section.

HTH
  • nabowla
    I buy nearly all my meat & fish in large family packs when they're on special offer and then split them up into individual portions for freezing. Chicken breasts are particularly good because they're so versatile for one - there's just enough meat for a good stir fry/curry/stuffed chicken breast/chicken baked with tomato & herb sauce/creamy chicken and pasta......etc!

One of my favourite standbys is the good old tin of tomatoes. Fry an onion with garlic/chilli/herbs/whatever you fancy to give it a bit of flavour. Add a family sized tin of tomatoes and simmer for 15 mins. Put half of the sauce on top of piece of fish (cod is good), wrap in a foil parcel & bake in the oven for 25mins. The other half of the sauce can be used with pasta & cheese the following evening.

As others have said, the key to cooking for one is not to think of preparing individual meals from scratch, but to cook in larger quantities that can be frozen or used in other dishes. It's much more economical and will give you a much broader range of dishes to try.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 6th Jan 05, 1:55 AM
    • 16,404 Posts
    • 140,199 Thanks
    JackieO
    Thank you folks for all of your ideas.It certainly gave me a few ideas.
    I think this is the best site on the net and I keep passing it on to friends and family.
    My two daughters are always asking what new tips i have found on my 'money saving' site
    Thank you all too for your kind wishes, it is difficult at times but one must try ones best to keep cheerful as there's lots worse off than me.
    Happy New Year to all on this site.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 7th Jan 05, 12:54 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Hi Jackie, I was looking at another site and spotted an ad for this slow cooker. Its a small one for 2 portions.
    • elona
    • By elona 7th Jan 05, 4:10 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 62,422 Thanks
    elona
    Jackie

If you look on Moneysaving old style there are loads of slow cooker recipes that I am sure you would enjoy.

Well done for your positive attitude to your life and keep using the site . I found it incredibly useful
  • halloweenqueen
    Netto are doing one for 9.99 - I think on Monday - was thinking about getting one myself
    • loopy_lass
    • By loopy_lass 11th Jan 05, 8:51 PM
    • 1,527 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    loopy_lass
    on a more practical note jak, you could always invite me round for dinner so there would be no need to freeze leftovers ;-)

now thats money saving .. on my part ;-)

what time you want me?

loops xx
  • a1poser
    Or stick the 2nd portion in the freezer!
  • bardsandwarriors
    I use a couple of books:

Bedsitter cookery by katherine whitehorn
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-author=Whitehorn%2C%20Katharine/202-1921895-2276647
    (check the dates on these - you might want one of her more recent ones)

Stuent Grub by Jan Arkless:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books-uk&field-author=Arkless%2C%20Jan/202-1921895-2276647

You might want to try baking your own bread aswell - delicious!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,722Posts Today

10,009Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin