Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tony H
    • By Tony H 20th Mar 04, 3:47 PM
    • 2,515Posts
    • 427Thanks
    Tony H
    Diesel vs Petrol
    • 20th Mar 04, 3:47 PM
    Diesel vs Petrol 20th Mar 04 at 3:47 PM
    Due to an accident I was forced to change from a 1.8 Auto using £3120 of petrol per year. My fuel costs alone have been reduced by a massive £2080 per year as I have changed to a Diesel vehicle.

If you do more than 6000 miles per year you should be looking at a Diesel to make substancial savings.

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Wendy; 25-11-2008 at 6:28 PM.
Page 1
  • luci
    • 21st Mar 04, 12:26 AM
    Re: Diesel vs Petrol
    • 21st Mar 04, 12:26 AM
    I have just changed back to diesel after having a petrol Primera 1.8 for the past 2 years. I'd always had diesel until then and have always loved it. The only downside is that parts are usually more expensive, but diesels are more reliable so this shouldn't be a big problem.
    • tshrbhag
    • By tshrbhag 7th Sep 04, 5:35 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    tshrbhag
    • 7th Sep 04, 5:35 PM
    • 7th Sep 04, 5:35 PM
    I'm changing to Disel too. My C320 Merc does 27 mpg on motorways and 14 in city. The new one would do around 50 on motorway & 28 in city. Just can't wait to start that saving.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
  • foxylady
    • 2nd Oct 04, 4:05 PM
    • 2nd Oct 04, 4:05 PM
    The cheapest fuel for motoring is LPG or vegetable oil.
    Buy a duel-fuel car or convert your own. Conversion
    costs from 1600, this money saved in 1-2 years depending on milage. 40p per litre.

http://www.go-autogas.com/
    • ohit
    • By ohit 17th Nov 04, 8:27 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    ohit
    • 17th Nov 04, 8:27 PM
    • 17th Nov 04, 8:27 PM
    Thing is, diesel cars generally do cost more.

If your buying 2nd hand though, it's easily justified anyway

Also, if one is a true driver and just loves driving, a petrol car is generally more fun to drive.
  • tight_wad
    • 15th Dec 04, 7:41 PM
    • 15th Dec 04, 7:41 PM
    It's a no brainer if you have a company car.
    The last petrol car I had was three years ago - Galaxy 2.3 - 27 mpg no matter how lightly you drove it.
    Had Galaxy diesel's (130PS) since and they have averaged 46 mpg+ & on a steady run I have had 53 mpg + - amazing!
    • MarkyMarkD
    • By MarkyMarkD 16th Dec 04, 1:51 AM
    • 9,795 Posts
    • 4,216 Thanks
    MarkyMarkD
    • 16th Dec 04, 1:51 AM
    • 16th Dec 04, 1:51 AM
    Thing is, diesel cars generally do cost more.

If your buying 2nd hand though, it's easily justified anyway

Also, if one is a true driver and just loves driving, a petrol car is generally more fun to drive.
    I think it depends on style of driving and what you call fun.

I'd far rather drive on a country road in a turbo-diesel and overtake people with the benefit of turbo boost whilst still getting lots of MPG, than have to change down 2 gears and use loads of revs (and fuel) to do the same far more slowly in a petrol car. But that's just my opinion! And I've actually got a petrol car at the moment because (a) it was cheap and (b) I do a low mileage (But I had 3 turbo-diesels before that). My wife's car's a diesel though and I am not lost to the diesel cause.
  • aliasojo
    • 30th Dec 04, 2:46 PM
    • 30th Dec 04, 2:46 PM
    We have 2 cars, a small petrol and a family turbo diesel estate.

We get almost twice the mileage from the big diesel than we do the small petrol. :

When small car is up for change, it will deffo be another diesel we get to replace.
    • solarstone
    • By solarstone 17th Mar 05, 8:06 PM
    • 171 Posts
    • 44 Thanks
    solarstone
    • 17th Mar 05, 8:06 PM
    • 17th Mar 05, 8:06 PM
    ...continuing on, why is Diesel about 6p a litre (in places) more than unleaded ?? Government don't miss a trick do they.

In France, Diesel is a fraction of the cost of petrol, why can't that be so here !?
    Like a priceless jewel buried in dark layers of soil and stone, earth radiates her brilliant beauty into the caverns of space and time.

Stately trees seem to brush the deep blue sky. Clouds billow to form magestic peaks. The songs of birds fill the air creating symphony upon symphony
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 17th Mar 05, 8:17 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    I have decided to go for diesel for my new company car. I get a set amount for mileage (11p) and I am sure I can get more miles out of a diesel engine and therefore my private miles will be less expensive. I am extensively testing the BMW 1 series this weekend followed by a couple of others I fancy. I was under the impresssion that the company car tax was going to be increased on diesels but it doesn't come in till Jan 2006 and it is only on newly registered cars after that date.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • JayS
    Unfortunately, this is one of the side-effects of diesel:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/medical_notes/233033.stm

"The most likely culprit are PM10s, microscopically small particles given off by diesel engines, coal burning, mining, construction and quarrying."
    The only stupid question, is an unasked question ...
  • robby-01
    Itried to get hold of a diesel 550 maranello a couple of years ago.Couldn't get one for love nor money.So I had to settle for the petrol version .Aint life cruel.
    • N9eav
    • By N9eav 22nd Mar 05, 9:46 AM
    • 4,651 Posts
    • 26,401 Thanks
    N9eav
    One thing to consider.. Diesel cars need servicing every 5-6000 miles where petrol can be 10-12000. Petrol is 28p a gallon cheaper than diesel in some garages. Saying that The extra MPG with a diesel seems worth the effort.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 22nd Mar 05, 10:56 AM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    One thing to consider.. Diesel cars need servicing every 5-6000 miles where petrol can be 10-12000. Petrol is 28p a gallon cheaper than diesel in some garages. Saying that The extra MPG with a diesel seems worth the effort.
    by N9eav
    Fortunately I get a company car and the lease covers the cost of maintenance but time is an issue so I will have to check that out when deciding what to have.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • MarkR
    I am well and truly converted to Diesal.
    I had my last diesal for about 4 years and changed last year to another diesal. We also changed wifes car to a diesal last year. The mpg makes a big difference to amount we have to spend on fuel, although I must admit its worrying the way that diesal is getting more and more expensive than petrol, from being cheaper a few years ago.
    The downside of diesal? well when start up from cold theres no mistaking its a diesal engine! and yes oil and filter is best changed every 5000 miles, theres the smellier fuel pumps too. The old arguments about performance are getting weaker with each new crop of diesal engines; I still prefer mpg to mph tho!
    Positives are more mpg, longer lasting engines (over 150 000 miles on my last one with no signs of it ) . And in true money saving style the Great feeling its costing less to get from A to B than it would have in a petrol vehicle the same size or smaller.
    Nope.... Still cant think of owt interesting to put here.
  • andy88
    more recent diesels have intervals of 12500 to 20000 miles. Mines in for 300 big service next week; 50000 miles so far, and all I've done so far is change the oil myself
  • IvanOpinion
    I have just changed my main car and the shopping list was very short. It had to be a 5 door diesel that could do 0-60 in under 12 seconds and cost less than 11K. I am on my 4th diesel car simply because I do over 20K miles per year.

Overall the figures seem to show that diesel is actually a cleaner burning fuel than petrol with the exception of carbon particulates. My new car does however meet the new European standards for emissions - must have some form of carbon trap in the exhaust. CO2 emissions on my new car are about 125 whereas on my other (petrol) car they are about 165 (which is quite good for a petrol).

I think GB is going to have to consider his taxation policy on diesel since it is having an effect on inflation with many hauliers getting up in arms over the cost. We might see another strike over the cost of fuel ........

Ivan
    Ivan has left the building ... but reserves the right of reply!
    Use PM to keep in touch
  • lellie
    by N9eav
    my pug 307 diesel has a 12000 mile or 2 year servicing gap. i challenge you to find a petrol car with a 2 year servicing gap!!!

also, try driving a petrol up a hill, the diesel will kick its !!! any day, more torque!
    Last edited by lellie; 26-03-2005 at 2:04 PM.
  • andy88
    Petrol is 28p a gallon cheaper than diesel in some garages.
    by N9eav
    Wrong garages then; 2p a litre (9 a gallon) seems the biggest margin I've seen.

Ivan's got a point on the diesel price compared to other countries. But the difference is not so large any more. 0.95~1.10 = 67~77p. Some countries, petrol is more expensive than here, so if the hauliers start jumping up and down again, they don't deserve widespread support.
  • JayS
    To avoid misbalancing the argument for people who don't follow the link, you could have prefaced this:

Unproved I think; nor is it certain that PM10s come mostly from diesel cars only. Tests in certain parts of USA only a few years ago discovered more than 50% of airborne pollution in urban areas came from fast-food establishments
    by andy88
    Yes I could have quoted more from the link; however, as this thread was specifically about diesel vs petrol, I decided to only quote the relevant quote which, as you decided to omit, continues:

"The most likely culprit are PM10s, microscopically small particles given off by diesel engines, coal burning, mining, construction and quarrying. These particles can penetrate deep into the lung and are known to worsen existing heart or respiratory problems."
    The only stupid question, is an unasked question ...
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,942Users online

Martin's Twitter