Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Jenny
    • By MSE Jenny 25th Aug 09, 7:53 PM
    • 1,228Posts
    • 3,559Thanks
    MSE Jenny
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Angela give the old lady extra time to pay?
    • 25th Aug 09, 7:53 PM
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Angela give the old lady extra time to pay? 25th Aug 09 at 7:53 PM
    Here's this week's hypothetical situation for you to cogitate on:

Should Angela give the old lady extra time to pay?

Angela has been working in a bank for five years. Her boss says she’s too lenient with customers in debt, and if she doesn’t toughen up, she'll be first in line for the next lay-offs. She then gets a visit from a sweet elderly lady, who’s just come out of hospital and has fallen behind on her mortgage repayments. If Angela doesn’t give extra time to pay, the lady’s home will be repossessed, but Angela knows her boss is watching.

Should Angela give the old lady extra time to pay?

Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs:

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 25-08-2009 at 9:00 PM.
Page 1
    • slow-but-patient-JC
    • By slow-but-patient-JC 25th Aug 09, 11:01 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    slow-but-patient-JC
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:01 PM
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:01 PM
    After seeing "Drag me to Hell" - i'd see if she has any scary powers :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist
    New here ... but here goes Still working patiently

Total debt 02/08 28,173.62 :confused: 06/08 23,845.64 10/08 22,727.72 02/09 20,083.56 04/09 18,499.37 09/10 7878

DFD December February 2011
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 25th Aug 09, 11:07 PM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:07 PM
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:07 PM
    After seeing "Drag me to Hell" - i'd see if she has any scary powers :-)

Sorry, couldn't resist
    Originally posted by slow-but-patient-JC
    you beat me to it was about to sya that
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
    • slow-but-patient-JC
    • By slow-but-patient-JC 25th Aug 09, 11:11 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    slow-but-patient-JC
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:11 PM
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:11 PM
    LOL - it was genuinely hard to resist.
    New here ... but here goes Still working patiently

Total debt 02/08 28,173.62 :confused: 06/08 23,845.64 10/08 22,727.72 02/09 20,083.56 04/09 18,499.37 09/10 7878

DFD December February 2011
  • s9904055
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:12 PM
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:12 PM
    I was about to say that three!!!
    • N.I.M
    • By N.I.M 25th Aug 09, 11:18 PM
    • 2,248 Posts
    • 7,050 Thanks
    N.I.M
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:18 PM
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:18 PM
    If the boss left her go for that then its off to the E.A.T (Employment Appeals Tribunal) to teach the boss a lesson. If its a case of a couple of weeks you;d have to give her the time off. Plus NO bank wants to repo a house in this climate, they'll never be rid of it. So its a dead asset to the bank and if they can bring in the payments, albiet a little delayed then I cannot see an issue with giving her the extra time.
    This was 6 months out of date so I've changed it.
    • Taffybiker
    • By Taffybiker 25th Aug 09, 11:55 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 499 Thanks
    Taffybiker
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:55 PM
    • 25th Aug 09, 11:55 PM
    Presumably Angela has the authority to make this decision. If not then she should ask the old lady to speak to someone who has.
    If so then she should remind her boss that her job involves making this kind of decision and that in this case there are extenuating circumstances, and ask him what he would do. If he feels the lady should lose her home through what is in effect no fault of her own, then Angela should being looking for work elsewhere immediately. I certainly would not want to work for a boss like that. What if this old lady was his mother?
    Try saying "I have under-a-pound in my wallet" and listen to people react!
  • Jane Doe
    • 26th Aug 09, 1:15 AM
    • 26th Aug 09, 1:15 AM
    Yes she should allow this. Giving a set time limit, say 28 days to submit a financial statement supporting her position and signposting her to CAB / CCCS etc for help with this and a benefit check...
    Shows reasonableness without ultimately compromising bank's position.
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 26th Aug 09, 6:30 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 26th Aug 09, 6:30 AM
    • 26th Aug 09, 6:30 AM
    I agree with the last 3 posters.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
  • Estimator1
    I think she should put all the facts to her boss, and explain that she would recommend allowing more time. Say that she's aware of the position she's in, regarding being "too lenient"...........then ask the boss what he would do under these extenuating circumstances (making sure that I fully explain the circumstances). I think that he would come to the same conclusion. If he didn't, I would discuss the matter further with other staff, to get a concensus of opinion. If they all agreed to being lenient, then maybe take the matter to my bosses boss for his/her opinion. Under no circumstances would I risk my job.
  • arthurmogman
    No extra time to pay
    On a personal level of course I'd give her time to pay but if my job is on the line then no, as tough as it is.
  • cassie42
    MONEY MORAL DILEMMA. Should Angela give the old lady extra time to pay?
    If she has a good equity in the property yes without a doubt.
    If she has a negative equity no way.
    • emmadragon
    • By emmadragon 26th Aug 09, 9:42 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    emmadragon
    I'd personally make the boss do it, I'd go in and see her that you have a difficult case and you need her advice on how to handle it and then let her see how hard it is. If she repo's the old ladies house then its on her bosses head and not hers.
    2009 Wins so far: 6 month supply of special K, Super Glue, Pushing Dasies Season 2 DVD, Sonisphere Tickets, Gold iPod, Fourth Plinth Winner 8th Oct 6-7pm, 100 Tesco Vouchers, Star-Ship Troopers on Blu-Ray (no player yet!), another iPod Touch
    First win Friday 13th - who said it was unlucky?
    • Solomon_Broad
    • By Solomon_Broad 26th Aug 09, 10:01 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    Solomon_Broad
    I'd be inclined to warn the old woman, and tell her quietly to speak to the Citizens Advice, and get her to find out her rights. Then I'd start demanding the money.

We all have bills to pay, and it's not like you can walk out of one job into another these days.
    • cronos
    • By cronos 26th Aug 09, 10:26 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    cronos
    The concept of character lending in our high street banks has long since disappeared. Instead we have under-qualified junior staff masquerading as 'bank managers' with all lending decsions being based centrally. This is no disrepect to those working on the frontline in High Street banks, but the fact is the banks now place more emphasis on sales skills than banking qualificaitons.

This scenario might have been relevant in the 70s, but certainly not now.
    • jamespir
    • By jamespir 26th Aug 09, 10:32 AM
    • 18,725 Posts
    • 19,767 Thanks
    jamespir
    if it was me i would give the lady an extension but on a conditional basis
    Replies to posts are always welcome, If I have made a mistake in the post, I am human, tell me nicely and it will be corrected. If your reply cannot be nice, has an underlying issue, or you believe that you are God, please post in another forum. Thank you
  • kadenza99
    1, Approve the extension and note on the file the customers recent change of circumstance.
    2, Angela should then immediately take up the workplace conditions with HR as this sounds like an attempt at constructive dismissal.
  • outofstock
    Angela is weak,she favours borrowers who can spin a good sob story and look pathetic. If you borrow there are repayment rules,if you don't pay there are consequences.That's how an advanced economy works.

If that's sounds harsh let's cancel our debts (and the financial system that underpins and depends on obligations being met) and watch 65m people scrabbling around in the woods for berries and firewood.
    Nice to save.
  • IainCMartin
    The concept of character lending in our high street banks has long since disappeared. Instead we have under-qualified junior staff masquerading as 'bank managers' with all lending decsions being based centrally. This is no disrepect to those working on the frontline in High Street banks, but the fact is the banks now place more emphasis on sales skills than banking qualificaitons.

This scenario might have been relevant in the 70s, but certainly not now.
    Originally posted by cronos
    How true, my father, a retired nuilding society in his late 80's bemoans the standards of today's bank and building society managers.

He was used to taking a decision based on face to face discussions, his knowledge of underlying details and his experience, not based on a computer readout and a standardised "tick list".

He tells of occasions he was criticised for not extending loans, but where he stuck to his guns because he felt he amount being asked for was unrealistic compared to income and that changes in interest rates would put excessive pressure on the borrowers. His interest was with the borrower - because his personal feeling was that a debt was only worth creating if the borrower would be in a position to pay it back.

He was working before the building societies and banks became finacial corporations cross selling house insurance and other products and felt uncomfortable latterly as these products were sold to customers with, what he felt were sometimes underhand sales tactics. Now, though he is 88 and suffering from failing halth he never fails to be stirred when he talks with passion about the days when the local bank and building society manager were people who made real decisions and felt they stood for something inthe community.
  • mishabgt
    There are a number of factors here which would affect the decision:
    The fact that she is a "sweet elderly lady" is of no concequence.... age discimination and all that!

1. Why was she in hospital, and for how long? Could be she was in overnight because she drank too much and fell over. Could be she was in for mental assessment and that she would be safer in a home?

2. Why would the fact she was in hospital have made her behind in her payments? Has she not got them set up on a direct debit? Is this not something someone should be talking to her about?

3. How long has she been falling behind in her repayments that she is now being threatened with reposession? Is this something she has been ignoring, and therefore the hospital stay is not even relevant?

Without knowing ALL the details, I don't think you can really make an informed decision.

However, because I'm having a good day, I'd let the old dear have extra time.... BUT would make sure she spoke to someone about repayment plans and DIRECT DEBITS!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,091Posts Today

6,951Users online

Martin's Twitter