Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 27th Apr 06, 12:22 PM
    • 3,049Posts
    • 15,426Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Cooking Rhubarb
    • 27th Apr 06, 12:22 PM
    Cooking Rhubarb 27th Apr 06 at 12:22 PM
    I absolutely love rhubarb and today was at a friend's house and discovered she had a garden full of it which she never uses. I have brought back bags of the stuff and am now in the process of cooking it and I will freeze it in batches. I just like it gently poached, but one thing I have noticed is that when I do home made rhubarb it is always very acidic, but when I buy something like Sainsburys Be Good to Yourself Rhubarb and Custard the actual rhubarb layer is not as acidic at all. I looked at the ingredients and the only thing I could see was citric acid. Would this make it taste less acidy? It doesn't matter how much you sweeten it because the acid is always there.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
Page 1
    • saving-grace
    • By saving-grace 27th Apr 06, 5:26 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    saving-grace
    • 27th Apr 06, 5:26 PM
    • 27th Apr 06, 5:26 PM
    When cooking rhubarb I often add the juice and grated rind of an orange. It definitely takes away the "harshness" of the rhubarb. Try it, it really makes a difference.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 27th Apr 06, 5:31 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 27th Apr 06, 5:31 PM
    • 27th Apr 06, 5:31 PM
    I'm not sure about citric acid,but one thing you can try is bicarb.Adding bicarb to acidic fruit like blackcurrants, gooseberries and rhubarb neutralizes the acid and you need less sugar.Use about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of bicarb for one fruit pie.
    • twink
    • By twink 27th Apr 06, 5:38 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    • 27th Apr 06, 5:38 PM
    • 27th Apr 06, 5:38 PM
    i agree with thriftlady about using bicarb and you will probably find you need less sugar too
    • Mr Meanie
    • By Mr Meanie 27th Apr 06, 5:54 PM
    • 292 Posts
    • 145 Thanks
    Mr Meanie
    • 27th Apr 06, 5:54 PM
    • 27th Apr 06, 5:54 PM
    Believe it or not put a small amount of chalk (like a pinch) in the pan whilst cooking, this apparently binds to the the oxalic acid making the rhubarb taste less acidic.
    I love my spell checker, it stops me making all sorts of stupid smelling mistakes.
  • tootles
    • 27th Apr 06, 6:31 PM
    • 27th Apr 06, 6:31 PM
    I always put a little powdered ginger in with rhubarb, it takes the acidic taste away..... a knob of butter, a little orange juice in a casserole and cook in the oven for about 20 minutes......luvvvvvverly.......................
    ------------------------------------------------------

Living in the sunny? Midlands, where the pork pies come from:

saving for a trip to Florida and NYC Spring 2008

Total so far 14.00!!
  • black-saturn
    • 27th Apr 06, 7:28 PM
    • 27th Apr 06, 7:28 PM
    I always cook mine in diet lemonade. Sweetens it and takes away the acid.
    • TOBRUK
    • By TOBRUK 27th Apr 06, 7:33 PM
    • 2,293 Posts
    • 2,757 Thanks
    TOBRUK
    • 27th Apr 06, 7:33 PM
    • 27th Apr 06, 7:33 PM
    Hi recovering spendaholic.
    Why cook it all? I often freeze rhubarb - just clean it and chop it up ready, and if I think oh I'd love a rhubarb tart or crumble just take it out and cook. I find it freezes great and then I have some in the freezer for when I want.

I have seen some recipies for rhubarb recently which I would like to try and sound really nice - rhubarb and almond cake is one. There has been a lot of talk about rhubarb recently and it has become the 'in' thing at the moment.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 28th Apr 06, 6:14 AM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    • 28th Apr 06, 6:14 AM
    • 28th Apr 06, 6:14 AM
    You can freeze uncooked crumble too Pop it in a bag,then you can have instant crumbles.
  • Thriftylady
    I don't know the science of this, but I have heard before that you shouldn't cook rhubarb in a metal pan or put it in a metal bowl ? Might be an old wives tale, not sure if it really makes a difference or not. I always cook mine in a glass or ceramic dish in the oven, just put the sugar over it, maybe a tiny bit of water, stick it in a low-ish oven for a while......
  • barnyblue
    Hi

Don't know if you've heard of it but sweet cicely which is grown as a herb from garden centres has an aniseed taste to it and takes away the acidic taste from rhubarb and gooseberries. Chop it up finely and add when cooking the rhubarb with sugar.
    A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

A young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocent,
    the helpless, the powerless, in a world of criminals who operate above the law.
    • CCStar
    • By CCStar 6th May 06, 3:24 PM
    • 6,569 Posts
    • 15,552 Thanks
    CCStar
    I cook it in the microwave in a bowl and a cover. Quicker and keeps the juices in.

I use a bit of Splenda to sweeten it.
    An average day in my life
    I am no expert in property but have lived in many types of homes, in many locations and can only talk from experience.
  • Alltheloginsaretakenappar
    I'm not sure about citric acid,but one thing you can try is bicarb.Adding bicarb to acidic fruit like blackcurrants, gooseberries and rhubarb neutralizes the acid and you need less sugar.Use about 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of bicarb for one fruit pie.
    by thriftlady
    I was going to say bicarb too. It was one of my granny's secret tricks. Years ago back in rural Ireland all the local women were having trouble with their rhubarb crop, it was too sweet and they couldn't make it edible. So they eventually brought it all to my granny's farm and she made a lovely jam so the story goes. This was before my time, but she was known for this sort of thing and could fix just about anything, I wish I'd learned a lot more from her. I only know this because my Dad was telling the story recently after some asked how he makes his cabbage (he adds a bit of bicarb)
    • oops a daisy
    • By oops a daisy 10th May 06, 6:55 PM
    • 2,427 Posts
    • 3,467 Thanks
    oops a daisy
    RHUBARB!!! - Help please
    I have just got some rhubarb from Tescos - reduced to 26p for 4 large sticks. I have never cooked rhubarb before and do not have a clue. Do I just chop it up and boil it in a pan with water and sugar untill soft ? I was going to cook it up and freeze it in bags to use at a later date.
    Thanks
    Official DFW Nerd Club Member #37 Debt free Feb 07
    • twink
    • By twink 10th May 06, 7:05 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 26,264 Thanks
    twink
    if you are going to freeze it for later you dont need to cook it just chop it up put in bags and pop into the freezer
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 10th May 06, 7:06 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    Thats how i cook my rhubarb (and cooking apples as well), although i tend to add the sugar at the end rather than during the cooking. If im going to freeze it, i would freeze once its cooked, then i just have to defrost it before using.
    • thriftlady
    • By thriftlady 10th May 06, 7:10 PM
    • 9,089 Posts
    • 28,909 Thanks
    thriftlady
    No,I wouldn't cook it prior to freezing either.

When you do come to cook it,don't use a lot of water.All you need is about a tablespoon for that amount of rhubarb - maybe 2.Chop it into inch long chunks,add the tbsp of water and a couple of tbsp of sugar and cook over a gentle heat till soft but so that it still holds its shape.This only takes a few mins.Add more water if it looks like it's catching.

It goes really well with strawberries in a crumble
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 10th May 06, 7:18 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi oops a daisy,

We have a very recent thread on cooking rhubarb, so I've merged your thread into it as it helps other readers to see all the replies together. Posts are listed in date order so you'll need to read from the beginning to see all the replies.

PInk
    • nuttywoman
    • By nuttywoman 29th Mar 08, 10:55 PM
    • 2,177 Posts
    • 2,170 Thanks
    nuttywoman
    Rhubarb. Whats the best way to cook it?
    I bought some fresh rhubarb today and hoping to make it into a crumble tomorrow with custard.Is there some way of making sure it won`t be tarty?
    Thanks
    • freyasmum
    • By freyasmum 29th Mar 08, 11:01 PM
    • 16,731 Posts
    • 48,921 Thanks
    freyasmum
    I bought some fresh rhubarb today and hoping to make it into a crumble tomorrow with custard.Is there some way of making sure it won`t be tarty?
    Thanks
    Originally posted by nuttywoman
    I would stew it down a wee bit of sugar before putting it into the crumble. You don't need to add much, if any, water. Taste it and, if needed, add a wee bit more sugar and cover with the crumble topping.

Is it any wonder I'm the size I am?
    Last edited by freyasmum; 29-03-2008 at 11:16 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,576Posts Today

5,903Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Delighted people are pushing @BorisJohnson on getting proper financial ed in schools. He says not enough resourc? https://t.co/c8Eb6BAwgU

• RT @MartinSLewis: I sued Facebook for defamation over scam ads & settled in return for 2 things that LAUNCH TODAY -1on1 scam help at new C?

• Bizzare German twitter mash article has called me "MARTIN LEWIS, der Geldsparexperte," Any german speakers out the? https://t.co/1tXEzCe4Y3

• Follow Martin