DFS - when to buy?

Just got back from a trip to DFS and have seen a sofa that I really like. At present the website shows their (summer) sale is in its final days. They've doubled up the discount on a bunch of the sofas, including the one I like. Has anybody tracked these sales before, are they likely to offer a final extra discount on say the bank holiday weekend at the end of the month?

I'm in no rush so can wait, but would hate to buy on the last day, then find out the next day they've extended the sale and increased the discount further.

I've read around and its clear they don't offer discounts. (I'm also aware of complaints with their sofas, but at the same time I also know people who've had no trouble with them). I'll be buying on credit card rather than their finance deals, just to get the extra protection the card offers.

Comments

• derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,420
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    ic wrote: »
    Just got back from a trip to DFS and have seen a sofa that I really like. At present the website shows their (summer) sale is in its final days. They've doubled up the discount on a bunch of the sofas, including the one I like. Has anybody tracked these sales before, are they likely to offer a final extra discount on say the bank holiday weekend at the end of the month?

I'm in no rush so can wait, but would hate to buy on the last day, then find out the next day they've extended the sale and increased the discount further.

I've read around and its clear they don't offer discounts. (I'm also aware of complaints with their sofas, but at the same time I also know people who've had no trouble with them). I'll be buying on credit card rather than their finance deals, just to get the extra protection the card offers.

You never know as they are always extending/ having another sale! When have you ever known them not to be having a sale?

Credit card or finance, (theirs or other), you are still covered under Section 75, as it is still credit!
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• DFS sales are constant!

I would shop elsewhere though if i were you.
  • thor
    thor Posts: 5,483
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    The op says that they have read around so I am surprised that they did not know DFS have a 365 days a year sale(366 in leap years). Unfortunately this is true for most of the major furniture retailers who use every loophole in the book to get away with it. It is a very good idea using their credit cards as these companies are all seemingly in danger of going bust.
  • ic
    ic Posts: 3,291
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    I know the sale is permanent, but what I've noticed (having never had to shop for a sofa before) is that they have a selection of sofas that are heavily discounted from their "original prices". Everything else in the range has token discount off the "original price" of £50 to £100. The sofa I'm looking at is £900 off. I'm guessing that when this sale ends and the next starts, that the same will apply, but that the selection of sofas with the big discount will change and the one I'm looking at now will jump up in price and get a much smaller discount.
  • SurfBowlSC
    SurfBowlSC Posts: 459 Forumite
    DFS do constantly have a sale on, but the range that the sale covers will vary each time. I would buy it before the current sale ends as it's likely that the new sale will not include this item.....
  • Dfs are always in sale, but what they put on the sale tends to follow a bit of a seasonal pattern. We bought our sofa from there as it was half price, but a few weeks later it was back on at the full cost and different ones were in the sale, we saw it half price again about 6 months later.

One thing I will say with DFS is the salesmen try and push you this scotchguard stuff to protect your sofa and even put it on our invoice without telling you (we had to ask to take it off). It's a good idea, (especially as we bought a pastle blue sofa - why oh why!) but they charge you about £150 for it when you can buy a can of the stuff from ebay for a tenner.
  • mattmcd81
    mattmcd81 Posts: 22 Forumite
    Steer clear at all costs, i understand what you are saying about knowing people who have had no problem with them, so do i, unfortunately i became one of those people who do!!!! don't make the same mistake as many others have. if you're not in a rush to buy... don't, shop around find a good family run business. feel free to read my plight, search the forums for 'another dfs nightmare'
  • I would have thought DFS have sales on all year round, I tracked the prices of two products from other furniture retailer over a twelve month period (I have no life:)) and the prices remained pretty constant. In fact the two items I had tracked were being promoted for the Boxing Day sale the following year.
  • We have a sofa from DFS that has lasted 6 years so far. Despite this I shall never buy from them again as prior to this they caused such problems (a year later we gave in and had a cheaper sofa from them). We threatened to take them to court - they said do it. What a nightmare - and local shoppers rights said we were correct. Never again. If you do decide to buy one and are lucky (our second sofa has been fine) you can almost guarantee your sofa will some into the sale sometime during the year. Be aware that if you have chosen the sofa because it is firm then they add extra packing in showroom, consequently the sofa we originally ordered was not firm when it arrived. We were told this by DFS manager (who was awful to us) so we know it is correct.:confused:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure