Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iwanttosave
    • By iwanttosave 21st Apr 06, 5:48 PM
    • 32,245Posts
    • 23,299Thanks
    iwanttosave
    Help with a food fast
    • 21st Apr 06, 5:48 PM
    Help with a food fast 21st Apr 06 at 5:48 PM
    Hi I was wondering if you could offer any advise.

My grandad is going in for a bowel scan (sorry if thats TMI ) so he has to fast for 2 days, he has been told that all he can eat is jelly, boiled sweets and clear soup. Thing is we cant find any clear soup. He has had these scans before and just had to live of jelly but one can only stand so much sugar.

He did manage to find some clear soup a while ago in a jewish shop but found it very salty and it dried him out.

Does anyone know where we can get this, or even a recipie to make some.

Thank you
    Work like you don't need money,
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    And dance like no one's watching

Save the cheerleader, save the world!
Page 1
  • gixxerchick
    • 21st Apr 06, 5:55 PM
    The only thing that springs to mind is scotch broth??? Can't think of owt else and i work in an endoscopy unit!!!! Only been there a few weeks tho ,so that's my excuse

Hope everything goes well for your granddad.
    Pole Dancer In Training
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 21st Apr 06, 5:55 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    Baxters consomme should be easy to find or at a push some Bovril or Oxo strained though muslin maybe?
    • iwanttosave
    • By iwanttosave 21st Apr 06, 5:57 PM
    • 32,245 Posts
    • 23,299 Thanks
    iwanttosave
    • 21st Apr 06, 5:57 PM
    Thanks, will look up the scotch broth, never come across it before.

He asked about things being strained, soup ect and they said no, so he will have to ask about the bovril

• brindles01
    Bachelors/Knorr still do those soups in a packet that you add wter to and simmer. They do quite a few clear soups and you could always strain any odd veggie bits away to leave the clear broth. Hope this helps.
    • Smashing Blouse
    • By Smashing Blouse 21st Apr 06, 5:57 PM
    • 220 Posts
    • 840 Thanks
    Smashing Blouse
    Hi I was wondering if you could offer any advise.

My grandad is going in for a bowel scan (sorry if thats TMI ) so he has to fast for 2 days, he has been told that all he can eat is jelly, boiled sweets and clear soup. Thing is we cant find any clear soup. He has had these scans before and just had to live of jelly but one can only stand so much sugar.

He did manage to find some clear soup a while ago in a jewish shop but found it very salty and it dried him out.

Does anyone know where we can get this, or even a recipie to make some.

Thank you
    by iwanttosave
    Hi,

I have something similiar. I bought some clear chinese chicken and sweetcorn ones and just strained them leaving the liquid, very bland though. Ask if he is able to have something like bovril.
    I wish that, I knew what I know now,when I was younger.
  • aurora borealis
    • 21st Apr 06, 6:15 PM
    How about Japanese Miso soup. You should be able to get that in a deli.... it's tasty.

Any thin, non-creamy soup will be ok.
    de do-do-do, de dar-dar-dar
  • crossleydd42
    Scotch Broth, delicious though it is, is NOT clear soup. Consomme is. You could probably get away with French Onion soup as well, if strained.

"Some say the cup is half empty, while others say it is half full. However, this is skirting around the issue. The real problem is that the cup is too big."
  • wigginsmum
    • 21st Apr 06, 6:25 PM
    • 21st Apr 06, 6:25 PM
    Beef consomme gets my vote - it's what I had when I had my colonoscopy. I was allowed apple juice too.
    The ability of skinny old ladies to carry huge loads is phenomenal. An ant can carry one hundred times its own weight, but there is no known limit to the lifting power of the average tiny eighty-year-old Spanish peasant grandmother.
    • jaybee
    • By jaybee 21st Apr 06, 6:26 PM
    • 1,418 Posts
    • 2,676 Thanks
    jaybee
    Bovril or Marmite - very boring and not satisfying. Hope all goes okay.
    • freda
    • By freda 21st Apr 06, 6:33 PM
    • 491 Posts
    • 520 Thanks
    freda
    How about plain stock? I'm pretty sure that would count as a 'clear' soup. Easy to make - simmer bones of chicken/duck/turkey/beeg/ham etc with a quartered onion, quartered carrot, quartered celery stick and herbs. Simmer for *hours* till veg is 'orrible and limp. Strain through seive and use as a base for soup, sauces, gravy etc. Or, as a 'clear' soup!
    • iwanttosave
    • By iwanttosave 21st Apr 06, 6:50 PM
    • 32,245 Posts
    • 23,299 Thanks
    iwanttosave
    Thanks everyone, he is coming round to see me tommorrow so I can show him this page, anything he unsure of he can phone the hospital on monday

• memorygirl
    Chop up veggies (turnip, cabbage, leek, parsely, onion and loads of carrots) very finely,then simmer in water until they go really really soft, then strain off the liquid.

Makes a high mineral broth thats actually quite tasty - I guess cos all the goodness leaches out of the veggies into the water.

Mum gives us all this when we have colds or need "building up" - I'm 36 and not sure how much more "building" I can take though !!!!

Memorygirl
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 21st Apr 06, 9:44 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    I had a colonoscopy last year and had to fast and take picolax. They told me I could have jelly, chicken bovril one teaspoon in a mug of boiling water, marigold veg stock powder made into a drink (directionson pack), boiled sweets and ice lollies which had no ice cream in them. The chicken bovril was actually really nice and quite filling too. Hope all goes well.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • tr3mor
    marigold boullion made into a drink is really nice actually. Espc on a cold winter's day!
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 21st Apr 06, 11:07 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    marigold boullion made into a drink is really nice actually. Espc on a cold winter's day!
    by tr3mor
    I'll second that. :-) They have a low salt version of this powder too so no need to worry about too much salt.
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
  • RVK2
    I had a colonoscopy last year and had to fast and take picolax. They told me I could have jelly, chicken bovril one teaspoon in a mug of boiling water, marigold veg stock powder made into a drink (directionson pack), boiled sweets and ice lollies which had no ice cream in them. The chicken bovril was actually really nice and quite filling too. Hope all goes well.
    by recovering spendaholic

I had a colonoscopy last wednesday and had to take picolax (vile stuff). I was told I could drink coke, water, black tea/coffee, squash, bovril/marmite and clear soup...and that's it. I even checked online to see what else (jelly, lollies etc) and rang the hospital who said NO! Thank goodness I don't have to have another one
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,632Posts Today

8,245Users online

Martin's Twitter