Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • comping cat
    • By comping cat 26th Jan 06, 8:22 PM
    • 23,809 Posts
    • 3,165,188 Thanks
    comping cat
    • 26th Jan 06, 8:22 PM
    • 26th Jan 06, 8:22 PM
    http://www.uktvfood.co.uk/index.cfm?uktv=search.results&searchBox=2
    This should bring up some recipes from uk food, HTH
    Catherine x

Just tried it and the link didnt work, if you go into it and search for tiger prawns, you will get quite a few recipes!!!!
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 26th Jan 06, 8:39 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 26th Jan 06, 8:39 PM
    • 26th Jan 06, 8:39 PM
    BBC Food website Has some good prawn recipes. I've provided a link for you, let us know how you get on
  • Dobie
    • 26th Jan 06, 8:52 PM
    Thai prawn curry
    • 26th Jan 06, 8:52 PM
    Hi
    Tonight I made a really good thai curry with BOGOF cooked tiger prawns.
    I fried a chopped onion, sliced mushrooms & a couple of cloves of garlic. When soft I added a tin of coconut milk, some frozen peas & half a jar of green thai curry paste & let it simmer for about 5 mins. I added the prawns & heated them through thoroughly. We had it with rice & wraps, it was delicious & tasted a lot more expensive & complicated than it was.
  • spaghetti monster
    • 20th Apr 06, 7:11 PM
    paranoid prawns
    • 20th Apr 06, 7:11 PM
    Store-cupboard challenge style I'm cooking something up with some frozen prawns I found in the freezer......

basically I also had some creamed coconut so I'm making a kind of stew with this plus: onions, peppers, lime juice, coriander, tinned tomatoes, hot pepper sauce... and am about to eat it with some steamed rice...yum!!

Anyway - I seem to have rather a lot for just one (home alone for the next few days) and I'm a bit ignorant about re-freezing things. Basically I was veggie for about 15 years until about 2 years ago when I started eating fish and seafood.

Can I freeze left-overs from today?? If not could I keep in the fridge and re-heat tomorrow?? Or is this a recipe for food poisoning???! :confused:
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 20th Apr 06, 7:15 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 20th Apr 06, 7:15 PM
    • 20th Apr 06, 7:15 PM
    If you are using prawns from the freezer and aren't sure, why don't you cook a batch of the sauce, then add the prawns to a portion of the sauce. The remaining sauce can be frozen and the used at a later date with the rest of the prawns??

General rule for freezing is that if the food has been frozen raw, then defrosted and cooked, it CAN be refrozen. But in the case of frozen prawns, most of them are brought in frozen and raw to the manufacturing plants, shelled, cooked and then quick frozen for packaging. So I myself would be wary of freezing prawns again, even though I'd cooked them first.

HTH
  • spaghetti monster
    • 20th Apr 06, 7:22 PM
    • 20th Apr 06, 7:22 PM
    Yes, they look like the kind that were already cooked and then frozen.
    Unfortunately it's all been on the stove for a while now and nearly ready to eat! Otherwise that's a really good idea to do the sauce and prawns separately.
    Thanks!!
    • arkonite_babe
    • By arkonite_babe 20th Apr 06, 7:24 PM
    • 7,259 Posts
    • 8,310 Thanks
    arkonite_babe
    • 20th Apr 06, 7:24 PM
    • 20th Apr 06, 7:24 PM
    It will keep in the fridge quite happily for 24 hours once cooled, but I wouldn't keep prawns any longer than that.

At least next time you'll be able to freeze it
  • spaghetti monster
    • 20th Apr 06, 8:24 PM
    • 20th Apr 06, 8:24 PM
    That's good to know! Tomorrow night's dinner's sorted!
  • helen81
    defrosted prawns help!
    I have a packet of defrosted prawns in my fridge that i intended to make a curry with for my OH but he has now informed me that he doesnt like prawn curry so not to bother making it!...which has left me with a prob...what the hell do I use the prawns for now!!? Its quite a large packet and have already been frozen once so I can't put them back into the freezer! Any help will be appreciated.
    • Essex-girl
    • By Essex-girl 21st Apr 06, 8:41 AM
    • 3,478 Posts
    • 46,632 Thanks
    Essex-girl
    Fish Pie?
    Seafood Pasta?
    I would personally have prawn and mayo sandwhich for lunch then a big jacket potatoe with seafood sauce for tea - we all love prawns in this house so a big packet wouldnt last long.
    Im sure someone will b along with a lovely recipe in a min.
    • kingarhu
    • By kingarhu 21st Apr 06, 8:41 AM
    • 129 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    kingarhu
    Really indulgent prawn sandwiches, pack full of prawns and mayo and lettuce. Can't beat it.
  • moonrakerz
    Prawn fried rice.

or

Make a white sauce, mix in prawns, bit of cheese, peas, chopped spring onions, diced carrots.
    • annie-c
    • By annie-c 21st Apr 06, 8:46 AM
    • 2,517 Posts
    • 3,130 Thanks
    annie-c
    Prawns in spicy pasta sauce:

Make a tomato based sauce using sauted onions, peppers, a tin of chopped toms, black pepper, a touch of chilli sauce or a finely sliced chilli, and loads of prawns. Serve with boiled pasta.
    • inkie
    • By inkie 21st Apr 06, 8:47 AM
    • 2,579 Posts
    • 2,486 Thanks
    inkie
    How about throwing them into an ommlette, prawn stir fry....?
  • helen81
    the indulgent prawn sarnies would work well...have got mayo and lettice in fridge so thats what him and the kids are having for dinner!

Also the prawn fried rice...sorry to be thick but how would i do that...do I boil the rice first then fry with thhe prawns or just fry it as it is??
    • CharleneUK
    • By CharleneUK 21st Apr 06, 8:50 AM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    CharleneUK
    I like prawns with egg noodles, a dash of soy sauce and onions, garlic and peppers.
    "I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"

Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 2
  • katieowl
    << Also the prawn fried rice...sorry to be thick but how would i do that...do I boil the rice first then fry with thhe prawns or just fry it as it is??>>

Boil it first, then leave it to get cold. It doesn't fry very well if it is still hot. You could cool it under the tap then leave it to drain though!

Mmmm....Prawn fried rice....salivating already (no smiley for dribble?)
  • helen81
    Good news..just text OH to see what he'd prefer me to make and weve settled on a prawn stirfry...hurray!
    thanks for all ur nice ideas
  • heroicnich
    One more thought (my mum's recipe, don't know where she got it)
    Chop an onion and fry til translucent in olive oil. Add a splash of white wine and some oregano, then add a tin of chopped tomatoes (and sometime I add a splash of water if the tomatoes don't have much juice). Simmer for approx 10-15 mins til reduced. Stir in prawns and wait til they go pink (if uncooked) or heat through (if cooked). Tip it all into an ovenproof dish, and scatter with half a pack of feta (crumbled or cubed) and maybe some parsley. Bake at approx 200C until the feta is browning up, serve with garlic bread (it's the future) and salad. Hope you have a chance to try it some time!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,665Posts Today

6,354Users online

Martin's Twitter